Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Bob Chapman

+2
DWags
NigelUno
6 posters

Go down

Picture RIP Bob Chapman

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-20, 10:56

[tw]1627152665460310016[/tw]
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Picture Re: RIP Bob Chapman

Post by DWags 2023-02-20, 11:15

Wow. Last greatest guard before Magic came.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-02-20, 11:24

Fuck. Great Spartan. Always hustled 100% of the time on the court. One of my favorites as a kid. Rest in Peace.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags, Turtleneck and Polydorus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-02-20, 12:10

Saginaw (I believe) legend.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-02-20, 14:25

DWags wrote:Wow. Last greatest guard before Magic came.
Chappy could play and it's too bad he graduated before the national title. He had his struggles with substance abuse after college but got himself together. My wife is friends with his wife and she stuck by him through his problems. RIP Chappy and condolences to Candy.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, DWags and Polydorus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-20, 16:06

77-78 team arguably better than the 78-79 team.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-02-20, 18:40

duffy munn wrote:
Chappy could play and it's too bad he graduated before the national title. He had his struggles with substance abuse after college but got himself together. My wife is friends with his wife and she stuck by him through his problems. RIP Chappy and condolences to Candy.

I believe somebody got him a decent job down at the state capital didn’t they?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-02-20, 20:41

DWags wrote:
duffy munn wrote: Chappy could play and it's too bad he graduated before the national title. He had his struggles with substance abuse after college but got himself together. My wife is friends with his wife and she stuck by him through his problems. RIP Chappy and condolences to Candy.

I believe somebody got him a decent job down at the state capital didn’t they?
briefly and then he spun out again. Moved to Texas And got a good job. Stayed clean. Died of prostate cancer.. Sad.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-02-20, 22:06

Chapman was a prototypical PG who Heathcote inherited and managed to coach Chapman to alter what he’d been asked to do since junior high to play with Magic and not play the point on every possession.

Was a student for Chapman’s last two seasons and when Magic showed up basketball tickets suddenly got very hard to get.  It was scalper’s heaven.

I got to know a couple of people well connected to MSU basketball who thought the 77-78 team was as good or better than the 78-79 National Championship team.  The ‘77-78 team took eventual champion Kentucky to the wire losing 52-49 in the Mid East Regional.

According to one guy, Chapman and Magic created matchup nightmares that would have continued against Arkansas and Duke.  He also said had MSU won the ‘78 Championship it’s probable Magic Johnson would have left for the NBA after one year.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-02-20, 22:57

GRR Spartan wrote:Chapman was a prototypical PG who Heathcote inherited and managed to coach Chapman to alter what he’d been asked to do since junior high to play with Magic and not play the point on every possession.

Was a student for Chapman’s last two seasons and when Magic showed up basketball tickets suddenly got very hard to get.  It was scalper’s heaven.

I got to know a couple of people well connected to MSU basketball who thought the 77-78 team was as good or better than the 78-79 National Championship team.  The ‘77-78 team took eventual champion Kentucky to the wire losing 52-49 in the Mid East Regional.

According to one guy, Chapman and Magic created matchup nightmares that would have continued against Arkansas and Duke.  He also said had MSU won the ‘78 Championship it’s probable Magic Johnson would have left for the NBA after one year.

i saw my first MSU basketball game in Jenison in 1976. My memories were Jud was nuts, screaming and stomping his feet, but more so Edgar Wilson and Bob Chapman were really good. That night I met Wilson in the elevator at Holden hall. He was really cool and I was completely star struck.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down