Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LA agrees to pay Kobe Bryant widow almost $29m

+6
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Cameron
Trapper Gus
Motown Spartan
TravelinMan
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LA agrees to pay Kobe Bryant widow almost $29m - Page 2 Empty Re: LA agrees to pay Kobe Bryant widow almost $29m

Post by kingstonlake 2023-03-01, 19:17

NigelUno wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Both families should have been awarded the same amount. The Bryant family shouldn’t be more valued than the 
Chester family. I don’t think it’s fair that Vanessa Bryant is awarded more because she has a bottomless well of money and lawyers who will beg to represent her. Broken system.

Awarded?  It was a settlement.  

Maybe one family was OK settling for an amount and accepted it to move on (after already getting $15 million).

Maybe one family wasn't OK with that amount, and ended up settling for more.

It happens in civil cases.  People can settle for different amounts.  That doesn't make it unfair.

Saying it was completely up to LA County (and they decided whose family is worth more) is disingenuous.  

You’re assuming both parties were treated the same by LA county in the settlement process? Star power played no role? Ability to “lawyer” was equal?  It’s a highly flawed system. LA county came up with 10 million more for the Bryant’s….
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

LA agrees to pay Kobe Bryant widow almost $29m - Page 2 Empty Re: LA agrees to pay Kobe Bryant widow almost $29m

Post by NigelUno 2023-03-01, 19:52

kingstonlake wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Awarded?  It was a settlement.  

Maybe one family was OK settling for an amount and accepted it to move on (after already getting $15 million).

Maybe one family wasn't OK with that amount, and ended up settling for more.

It happens in civil cases.  People can settle for different amounts.  That doesn't make it unfair.

Saying it was completely up to LA County (and they decided whose family is worth more) is disingenuous.  

You’re assuming both parties were treated the same by LA county in the settlement process? Star power played no role? That’s kinda disingenuous.

What I do know is this:

1. Chester settled in September 2022 for $4.95 million (right after a federal jury awarded him $15 million in August 2022).
2. Kobe's wife just settled (after she was also awarded $15 million in August).
3. The settlement with Kobe's wife further resolves all outstanding issues related to pending legal claims in state court, future claims by the Bryant children, and other costs, with each party responsible for its respective attorneys’ fees.

So, let's go back to something you kinda skipped over...it's possible Chester was OK settling in September and Kobe's wife was not (for whatever reasons).

But, if you want to run with the idea that LA County decided ahead of time how to allocate money (and did so at separate times)...OK.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-03-01, 19:55

NigelUno wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

You’re assuming both parties were treated the same by LA county in the settlement process? Star power played no role? That’s kinda disingenuous.

What I do know is this:

1.  Chester settled in September 2022 for $4.95 million (right after a federal jury awarded him $15 million in August 2022).
2.  Kobe's wife just settled (after she was also awarded $15 million in August).
3.  The settlement with Kobe's wife further resolves all outstanding issues related to pending legal claims in state court, future claims by the Bryant children, and other costs, with each party responsible for its respective attorneys’ fees.

So, let's go back to something you kinda skipped over...it's possible Chester was OK settling in September and Kobe's wife was not (for whatever reasons).

But, if you want to run with the idea that LA County decided ahead of time how to allocate money (and did so at separate times)...OK.  

I skipped it because you admittedly have no clue whether it’s true.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-03-01, 20:00

kingstonlake wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

What I do know is this:

1.  Chester settled in September 2022 for $4.95 million (right after a federal jury awarded him $15 million in August 2022).
2.  Kobe's wife just settled (after she was also awarded $15 million in August).
3.  The settlement with Kobe's wife further resolves all outstanding issues related to pending legal claims in state court, future claims by the Bryant children, and other costs, with each party responsible for its respective attorneys’ fees.

Oh. OK.

So, they forced Chester to settle in September (separate from Kobe's wife).

Good one.

I think we're done here. You can stay in FantasyLand.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-03-01, 20:19

NigelUno wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Oh.  OK.

Good one.

I think we're done here.  You can stay in FantasyLand.

Ahhh, another one of those “it’s possible”
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-03-02, 09:23

kingstonlake wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Oh.  OK.

Good one.

I think we're done here.  You can stay in FantasyLand.

Chester settled in September.

Sorry that fact messes up your narrative.

Keep swinging at air.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-03-02, 09:38

It makes a lot of sense that someone like vanessa Bryant, who already has probably more money than god and has no incentive here other than to make it hurt for the other party would not settle until the very end and someone that could actually use the money would settle once it gets to a life changing amount- which is more or less what happened it seems like
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-03-02, 13:07

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:It makes a lot of sense that someone like vanessa Bryant, who already has probably more money than god and has no incentive here other than to make it hurt for the other party would not settle until the very end and someone that could actually use the money would settle once it gets to a life changing amount- which is more or less what happened it seems like

I don’t think that’s fair in this type of case.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-03-02, 13:13

NigelUno wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

It only took you 24 hours to post something factual vs something you admittedly know isn’t. We’re making progress here.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-03-02, 13:27

kingstonlake wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It only took you 24 hours to post something factual vs something you admittedly know isn’t. We’re making progress here.

Let me know when you post something factual instead of just your narrative.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-03-02, 13:42

NigelUno wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

NigelUno wrote:
Just wanted to take some shots at Vanessa Bryant, eh?

Interesting.  
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-03-02, 14:01

kingstonlake wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

NigelUno wrote:
Just wanted to take some shots at Vanessa Bryant, eh?

Interesting.  

Not shocked you're trying some sort of gotcha without the context. Let me know if you figure it out and actually understand it.

Not hopeful.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-03-02, 14:06

Kingston, nobody “forces” an injured party or survivors to settle.  I personally know family members of two family who were involved in wrongful death/negligence settlements and know about a third because their son died in the same accident.

First was a local woman who went to work at a automotive parts plant in Ionia County.  The plant has had multiple safety violations going back over a decade. She died when a forklift moving stacked metal boxes full of parts load tipped and the top box fell off killing her.  
Lots of violations including non-certified driver, boxes were overloaded and were stacked 3 high when 2 was the max.  

The company and insurance lawyers descended on her family and convinced the husband to sign off on a settlement that included an NDA provision and he couldn’t  sue for additional monies.

The 2nd incident was tale of two families.  I know one of the victims parents.  The two 16 year olds took summer jobs at a swine farm.  They were told to clear a clogged drain in the pit where the animal feces and urine gets sent from the pens.  A circuit blew killing the exhaust fans and both boys died after being overcome with gas.

Lawyers from the farmer and his insurance company contacted both families before their funerals.  About a month later one boy’s family settled for an undisclosed sum (NDA).  

However the other victim’s family didn’t like the strong arm tactics (“This is our our offer and you’ll get less and who knows when since things take time in the court system”) used by the farmer’s representatives.

The family that went to court and sued got nearly 5 times as much (between $3M-$4M) after attorney fees because their were multiple violations including not training employees, not having safety equipment (like respirator masks)  to be used, underage employees and not having a licensed electrician install the ventilation system or panel that controlled the fans.

It’s probable the Chester Family got their $15M and decided that they’d accept the reduced amount based on what his future earnings would be etc.

Kobe Bryant’s family settled for the equivalent of his last year’s NBA salary adjusted for inflation.  Bryant died at 41 and based on the business and endorsement deals that were already in place after he retired he would have earned even more had he not been killed.  

Look how much other Laker stars like Magic Johnson and Shaquille O’Neal have made after they retired from he NBA.  O’Neal makes more than double as he did as a player with his current endorsements,
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-03-02, 14:22

GRR Spartan wrote:Kingston, nobody “forces” an injured party or survivors to settle.  I personally know family members of two family who were involved in wrongful death/negligence settlements and know about a third because their son died in the same accident.

First was a local woman who went to work at a automotive parts plant in Ionia County.  The plant has had multiple safety violations going back over a decade. She died when a forklift moving stacked metal boxes full of parts load tipped and the top box fell off killing her.  
Lots of violations including non-certified driver, boxes were overloaded and were stacked 3 high when 2 was the max.  

The company and insurance lawyers descended on her family and convinced the husband to sign off on a settlement that included an NDA provision and he couldn’t  sue for additional monies.

The 2nd incident was tale of two families.  I know one of the victims parents.  The two 16 year olds took summer jobs at a swine farm.  They were told to clear a clogged drain in the pit where the animal feces and urine gets sent from the pens.  A circuit blew killing the exhaust fans and both boys died after being overcome with gas.

Lawyers from the farmer and his insurance company contacted both families before their funerals.  About a month later one boy’s family settled for an undisclosed sum (NDA).  

However the other victim’s family didn’t like the strong arm tactics (“This is our our offer and you’ll get less and who knows when since things take time in the court system”) used by the farmer’s representatives.

The family that went to court and sued got nearly 5 times as much (between $3M-$4M) after attorney fees because their were multiple violations including not training employees, not having safety equipment (like respirator masks)  to be used, underage employees and not having a licensed electrician install the ventilation system or panel that controlled the fans.

It’s probable the Chester Family got their $15M and decided that they’d accept the reduced amount based on what his future earnings would be etc.

Kobe Bryant’s family settled for the equivalent of his last year’s NBA salary adjusted for inflation.  Bryant died at 41 and based on the business and endorsement deals that were already in place after he retired he would have earned even more had he not been killed.  

Look how much other Laker stars like Magic Johnson and Shaquille O’Neal have made after they retired from he NBA.  O’Neal makes more than double as he did as a player with his current endorsements,

Note -
Chris Chester lost his wife and daughter.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-03-02, 14:27

GRR I’m not arguing what each victims salary was. I understand the difference. But the pictures taken didn’t cause their deaths. We’re talking about the emotional damage inflicted. It is my feeling (yes it’s not based on fact which I thought was made clear from the start) that LA county put a higher value on the emotional damage inflicted to the Bryant’s. There’s no way the starting point of settlement was an equal amount of money. I’m just tired of the celebrity status that actors, athletes, judges, and politicians are attaining vs regular folk. The federal case appears to be an equal dispersal probably based on law. The second settlement is a “negotiation”. And some people unfortunately carry more “weight” because the system values them more. That’s what I can’t stand.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-03-02, 15:04

kingstonlake wrote:GRR I’m not arguing what each victims salary was. I understand the difference. But the pictures taken didn’t cause their deaths. We’re talking about the emotional damage inflicted. It is my feeling (yes it’s not based on fact which I thought was made clear from the start) that LA county put a higher value on the emotional damage inflicted to the Bryant’s. There’s no way the starting point of settlement was an equal amount of money. I’m just tired of the celebrity status that actors, athletes, judges, and politicians are attaining vs regular folk. The federal case appears to be an equal dispersal probably based on law. The second settlement is a “negotiation”. And some people unfortunately carry more “weight” because the system values them more. That’s what I can’t stand.

Yes. There is a way.

Both plaintiffs are offered the same settlement.

Plaintiff 1 and his lawyer say OK. They are then peeled off the suit.
Plaintiff 2 and her lawyers say no, and that they're willing to go to trial.

What's "fair" for 1 plaintiff can be completely different than what's "fair" for another plaintiff.

Maybe Chris Chester just wanted it to be over with. How is that simple idea beyond your comprehension?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-03-02, 15:34

It appears that Chris Chester’s attorney parroted the work and filings of Bryant's attorneys with their consent. This saving him potentially $5 million in attorney fees. This definitely narrows the gap in the settlement. It’s not equal but makes it appear closer to fair. For the record the LA county supervisors board did meet in a closed session regarding the case and settlements. So there were definitely considerations of both cases.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2