Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What am I missing here?

+6
Heat Miser
DWags
Trapper Gus
Travis of the Cosmos
Turtleneck
Rocinante
10 posters

Go down

What am I missing here? Empty What am I missing here?

Post by Rocinante 2023-03-07, 22:59

What am I missing here? 13a67d10

6$ per meal per day per person? Yeah. I could easily survive and thrive on that. What am I missing here.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What am I missing here? Empty Re: What am I missing here?

Post by Rocinante 2023-03-07, 23:02

I mean that’s 168 bucks per person per week. 114.45  per person per week if it’s 5.45 per person per meal. That seems like a lot of money for food.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-03-07, 23:05

Do you’re thing, Travis.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-03-08, 00:25

Turtleneck wrote:Do you’re thing, Travis.

I don’t know why I would ban Roc for this post.

Other than $168 is 6x7x4 = 168. Maybe in Idaho, where Roc lives and potatoes are plentiful they eat 4 times a day. I don’t know I’ve never had the pleasure of visiting.

Anyway, it’s also $6 per day, not $6 per meal. So for roc’s 4 meals a day we’re down to $1.50 per meal.

“On average, those who qualify for SNAP will now receive about $6 per person per day.”

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/07/1161417967/snap-benefits-food-stamps

For a family of 4 that makes it not 168 per person per week, but 168 for the entire week.

Which I suppose we can spend many pages in a thread debating if that’s enough money or not and the dastardly deeds of the poor people wasting the money our benevolent oligarchs gave them, or we can chip in 2 dollars extra a day and they can afford a piece of fruit or two that might ensure that they’re able to continue slaving away at whichever cog they fill in the capitalist system for a longer period of time before they die at their post surrounded by loving coworkers because retiring is an impossible dream for them and we swiftly replace them by some other person to keep the shareholders happy.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-03-08, 00:29

111 words is a run on sentence to be proud of
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-03-08, 00:35

Oh, I just assumed you would say it’s not possible to live on that and then post your vitals.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-03-08, 05:52

Turtleneck wrote:Oh, I just assumed you would say it’s not possible to live on that and then post your vitals.

Oh I mean, look. Can I survive on $42 dollars a week? No absolutely not. But they better be able to: I require 14,000 calories a day just to keep my heart pumping like an athlete might require for training. So if you think of it that way I’m im very fit

5’2
598 lbs
Rhr- 237 bpm
Blood sugar- blood is mostly molasses
BP- Impossible to get an accurate reading as I can’t focus without thinking of tacos and getting too excited
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-08, 07:51

Had to keep following the links to understand all this malarky.

The end of the temporary EAs will be a significant change that will increase food hardship for many individuals and families, given the modest amount of basic SNAP benefits and high recent inflation in food prices. Without the EAs, SNAP benefits will average only about $6.10 per person per day in 2023. That average daily benefit is about $1.35 higher per person per day this year than it would have been as a result of the recent adjustment to the Thrifty Food Plan (TFP), which is the basis of SNAP benefits.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-assistance/temporary-pandemic-snap-benefits-will-end-in-remaining-35-states-in-march
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-03-08, 08:54

It does say $6 per meal. I guess in our own arrogance and food secure lives we assume three squares a day. It’s easy to not understand that we have families that only get one meal per day.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-08, 09:34

DWags wrote:It does say $6 per meal. I guess in our own arrogance and food secure lives we assume three squares a day. It’s easy to not understand that we have families that only get one meal per day.

That article was a hot mess, in terms of data.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-03-08, 09:49

$6/meal I can do. $6/day not so much.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-08, 09:54

Heat Miser wrote:$6/meal I can do. $6/day not so much.

I love eggs, this would be about a dozen, which would keep me going.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-03-08, 09:55

The problem with $6/meal is that it’s mostly going to be processed food because those on SNAP don’t have the ability of skills to take $6 and make a healthy meal out of it. There’s a reason that obesity and poverty are correlated. Maybe it’s my bleeding heart but we need to do more than just give more money to those in need. We need to help them beyond money.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-03-08, 09:55

DWags wrote:It does say $6 per meal. I guess in our own arrogance and food secure lives we assume three squares a day. It’s easy to not understand that we have families that only get one meal per day.

I hate breakfast. I don't understand how people can eat in the morning. Coffee and water, that's all you need. Food is of no interest to me until 12pm at the earliest. I wish breakfast was banned along with books and libs
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-08, 09:58

Motown Spartan wrote:The problem with $6/meal is that it’s mostly going to be processed food because those on SNAP don’t have the ability of skills to take $6 and make a healthy meal out of it. There’s a reason that obesity and poverty are correlated. Maybe it’s my bleeding heart but we need to do more than just give more money to those in need. We need to help them beyond money.

They buy what is cheap, like canned spaghetti.

Food deserts are an issue, too.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-03-08, 10:08

Trapper Gus wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:The problem with $6/meal is that it’s mostly going to be processed food because those on SNAP don’t have the ability of skills to take $6 and make a healthy meal out of it. There’s a reason that obesity and poverty are correlated. Maybe it’s my bleeding heart but we need to do more than just give more money to those in need. We need to help them beyond money.

They buy what is cheap, like canned spaghetti.

Food deserts are an issue, too.

They buy what they know because most of them were never taught how to prepare food for themselves.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-03-08, 10:43

It’s a bit of both. but ultimately if you can only spend $6 then you can choose to buy like 10 packs of ramen and 3 cans of canned spaghetti or you can buy 1 bunch of celery and 1 avocado. Until there’s enough money where you don’t have to think about how to stretch each dollar for as much food as possible you’re going to end up gravitating to the cheaper higher quantity stuff even if you know what to do with a rutabaga.

Getting enough money to people shouldn’t be a problem in a country of our size and wealth so that we could then focus on healthy habits. But it’s America so
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-03-08, 11:19

Turtleneck wrote:

I hate breakfast. I don't understand how people can eat in the morning. Coffee and water, that's all you need. Food is of no interest to me until 12pm at the earliest. I wish breakfast was banned along with books and libs

You are weird. Breakfast is the best meal of the day. If you eat a good breakfast and have plenty of coffee it will keep you going until dinner, at which time you can have brinner. Breakfast for dinner.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Cameron and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-03-08, 12:04

Breakfast food is shit food. Turtleneck is right. #teamturtleneck

If I’m eating breakfast give me a bucket of miscellaneous fried stuff over any standard breakfast food any day. Disgusting stuff.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-03-08, 12:20

I fucking love breakfast food, but I almost never eat breakfast. Brinner is my jam.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2023-03-08, 12:35

So wait. I haven’t read the article yet. I will today. I suspected the per meal thing was wrong. So it’s per PERSON per day. So let’s see if it was my family I’d get 168 bucks a week. I kinda think I could still make that work. Yes less quality but still. It would be tight, but yeah. This isn’t a philosophical argument. I think we should just feed people whatever it takes. Obviously taxing the rich is my preference.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-03-08, 12:57

Rocinante wrote:So wait. I haven’t read the article yet. I will today. I suspected the per meal thing was wrong. So it’s per PERSON per day. So let’s see if it was my family I’d get 168 bucks a week. I kinda think I could still make that work. Yes less quality but still. It would be tight, but yeah. This isn’t a philosophical argument. I think we should just feed people whatever it takes. Obviously taxing the rich is my preference.

Yeah, economies of scale at work here. It's easier to feed 4 on $24/day than it is to feed 1 on $6/day.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-03-08, 18:07

Heat Miser wrote:
Rocinante wrote:So wait. I haven’t read the article yet. I will today. I suspected the per meal thing was wrong. So it’s per PERSON per day. So let’s see if it was my family I’d get 168 bucks a week. I kinda think I could still make that work. Yes less quality but still. It would be tight, but yeah. This isn’t a philosophical argument. I think we should just feed people whatever it takes. Obviously taxing the rich is my preference.

Yeah, economies of scale at work here. It's easier to feed 4 on $24/day than it is to feed 1 on $6/day.

A lot less wasteful too. When's the last time anyone has seen a one or two pack of hamburger buns?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-03-08, 18:32

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

A lot less wasteful too. When's the last time anyone has seen a one or two pack of hamburger buns?

Countless times my hamburger buns have languished in the back of the freezer, only to be thrown out after nine months. Even 4-packs would help out a lot of single folks.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down