Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geoff Fieger had a stroke while getting an elective procedure done

+4
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
Jake from State Farm
tGreenWay
8 posters

Go down

Geoff Fieger had a stroke while getting an elective procedure done Empty Geoff Fieger had a stroke while getting an elective procedure done

Post by tGreenWay Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 18:12

I hope the doctor who performed the procedure upped their malpractice insurance before the operation.

Geoffrey Fieger recovering from stroke after elective heart procedure

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/03/22/geoffrey-fieger-recovering-from-stroke-after-elective-heart-procedure/70039379007/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Geoff Fieger had a stroke while getting an elective procedure done Empty Re: Geoff Fieger had a stroke while getting an elective procedure done

Post by Jake from State Farm Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 18:17

He's lucky it happened at the hospital. Not sure how chasing an ambulance you're already in would work.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Geoff Fieger had a stroke while getting an elective procedure done Empty Re: Geoff Fieger had a stroke while getting an elective procedure done

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 18:18

I bet that doctor is a big fan of The Suicide Machines.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Motown Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 18:18

I didn’t realize that there were such things as elective heart procedures. Seems like those would be pretty mandatory
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 18:39

How old was his brother from the Knack when he died.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 18:42

DWags wrote:How old was his brother from the Knack when he died.

Damn, I didn't think he was that young but Google says 57.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 18:46

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I didn’t realize that there were such things as elective heart procedures. Seems like those would be pretty mandatory

The article said it was for an arrhythmia. I have no idea the impact of that on daily living/quality of life, but it sounds like a doctor said you can get it done or leave it alone until it becomes a bigger deal (if that’s what happens).
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 18:47

Floyd Robertson wrote:I bet that doctor is a big fan of The Suicide Machines.

Maybe for himself if the insurance attorneys tell him to settle the case.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 18:55

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I bet that doctor is a big fan of The Suicide Machines.

Maybe for himself if the insurance attorneys tell him to settle the case.

Sort the direction I was thinking.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 19:38

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I didn’t realize that there were such things as elective heart procedures. Seems like those would be pretty mandatory
Weird story. Salesman at my old place was a really great guy. Had a stroke at work year or so after I left. Was early-mid 70's, made a full recovery and kept working. Went to his cardiologist for a checkup and they said he was fine.

No idea why but salesman wanted a second opinion. Don't know the whole story but that cardiologist recommended a procedure...maybe stents or something. He went with the second opinion, which I think of as elective surgery, and died on the operating table.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 20:07

The Pantry wrote:
Weird story. Salesman at my old place was a really great guy. Had a stroke at work year or so after I left. Was early-mid 70's, made a full recovery and kept working. Went to his cardiologist for a checkup and they said he was fine.

No idea why but salesman wanted a second opinion. Don't know the whole story but that cardiologist recommended a procedure...maybe stents or something. He went with the second opinion, which I think of as elective surgery, and died on the operating table.

well thats a happy story
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 20:15

Any surgery that requires an anesthesiologist is never routine.  

Hope Fieger recovers.  Way back from a stroke is a long haul.  

Think his brother died from cancer.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 20:20

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Weird story. Salesman at my old place was a really great guy. Had a stroke at work year or so after I left. Was early-mid 70's, made a full recovery and kept working. Went to his cardiologist for a checkup and they said he was fine.

well thats a happy story
Said it was weird, not happy. Point was, can't always trust 2nd opinions.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 20:39

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

well thats a happy story

Life is a crap shoot, always has been. Luckily the odds are mostly in our favor, but we are always shocked when they go against us.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 20:47

My dad had open heart surgery at 75. He died when he was 80. But here’s the thing, I read an article where it says most of the surgery people have come in the last five years of their life. It’s logical I do know that, the older you get the more likely you’re going to need surgery.

But if I recall, the article said, that there is many times where elective surgery is taking place, and it actually ends up stealing years from patients. In my dad’s case, we believe it gave him five more years.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 21:00

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

well thats a happy story

Oh no, I wasn’t disputing what you called it. I was just remarking in traditional Swill sarcasm how sad that story was. Because we embrace sarcasm here.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 21:04

DWags wrote:My dad had open heart surgery at 75. He died when he was 80. But here’s the thing, I read an article where it says most of the surgery people have come in the last five years of their life. It’s logical I do know that, the older you get the more likely you’re going to need surgery.

But if I recall, the article said, that there is many times where elective surgery is taking place, and it actually ends up stealing years from patients. In my dad’s case, we believe it gave him five more years.

The experience for your dad was likely a typical outcome. It’s the unusual and/or sad cases that make news simply because of the departure from the routine.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 21:04

Here’s what I want to happen: Send Mark Bernstein into Fieger’s hospital room and try to sign him up as a client.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed 22 Mar 2023 - 21:20

Trapper Gus wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Said it was weird, not happy.  Point was, can't always trust 2nd opinions.

Life is a crap shoot, always has been.  Luckily the odds are mostly in our favor, but we are always shocked when they go against us.
Doubt anyone is shocked when they, themselves, are gone.  Shock is for the living.

Life is a crap shoot.  The odds are not in our favor...we're all going to die.  How/when is anyones guess.  What happens afterward is an even bigger guess.  

I suggest a new Swill forum titled something like "Death and the aftermath".  Also suggest making Bob the moderator lol
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu 23 Mar 2023 - 7:53

tGreenWay wrote:

The article said it was for an arrhythmia. I have no idea the impact of that on daily living/quality of life, but it sounds like a doctor said you can get it done or leave it alone until it becomes a bigger deal (if that’s what happens).

He could have been having an ablation done to rewire the electrics in his heart and in the process it knocked a clot loose. It happens.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 23 Mar 2023 - 8:45

Elective surgery is a gamble. We all like to gamble. It’s great that this is a community that can come together and talk about gambling. If you like to gamble, you should go to parlaygamble.com.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, AvgMSUJoe, Nordic and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down