Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"?

+8
Cameron
GRR Spartan
InTenSity
Travis of the Cosmos
NigelUno
DWags
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
12 posters

Go down

Is UConn a Blue Blood

Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Vote_lcap25%Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 2 ]
Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Vote_lcap25%Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 2 ]
Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Vote_lcap13%Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 1 ]
Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Vote_lcap13%Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 1 ]
Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Vote_lcap0%Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Vote_lcap24%Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 8

Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Empty Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"?

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-05, 11:08

The argument for: Won 5 national championships between 1999-2023

The argument against: Missed the Tournament 8 times between 1993-2023, including three years straight (2017-2019), and lost in the first weekend 7 times.

I say yes, but people are debating this, I guess. Or at least they were on ESPN radio yesterday (not sure if it was a local or national show).
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Empty Re: Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"?

Post by tGreenWay 2023-04-05, 11:11

I agree. That many national titles in under 25 years is extraordinary.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? Empty Re: Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"?

Post by tGreenWay 2023-04-05, 11:12

Oh, and they’ve done it with different coaches.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-04-05, 11:13

What does that mean? Or what advantage do they get for being thought of in that matter?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-05, 11:20

No. They are not a "Blue Blood", unless someone wants to change the definition of "Blue Blood".
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-04-05, 11:22

DWags wrote:What does that mean? Or what advantage do they get for being thought of in that matter?

While not trying to speak for Heat, I’d like to see them all rewarded with Lifetime Platinum Memberships to tSwill. Winning has its privileges.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-05, 11:22

DWags wrote:What does that mean? Or what advantage do they get for being thought of in that matter?

No advantage except maybe marketing and recruiting, but I don't know. I don't even know how it's defined.

It seems to be associated with Duke, UNC, UK, KU, and previously but maybe still UCLA and IU. So I guess what people see as the top programs over the last several decades? The person on the radio also included Villanova since they have three titles. Some people include MSU with its two titles and current Tournament streak.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-04-05, 11:30

Point 1- they’ve missed the tournament 7 times since 2000. That feels like a lot of times, like if they’re bad they’re real bad and can’t tread water.

Point 2- I truly do not care fuck it they’re all blue bloods what does it even mean
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-05, 11:32

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Point 1- they’ve missed the tournament 7 times since 2000. That feels like a lot of times, like if they’re bad they’re real bad and can’t tread water.

Point 2- I truly do not care fuck it they’re all blue bloods what does it even mean

Maybe a better way to put it would be "where do you rank UConn among the all-time great CBB programs?"
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-04-05, 11:43

How are the TV ratings around Syracuse? That is the real tell.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-04-05, 12:08

I look at the Jim Calhoun coached teams the way I look at KU’s, UK’s, Duke’s and the Wooden coached UCLA teams.  One way or another he got players to come to Storrs CT.  

Kevin Ollie won one and put UConn on probation.

Dan Hurley built this team the new fashioned way with solid recruiting, transfers and NIL just like every team can.

If it can happen at UConn in the Big East it can happen anywhere.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-05, 12:39

Turtleneck wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Point 1- they’ve missed the tournament 7 times since 2000. That feels like a lot of times, like if they’re bad they’re real bad and can’t tread water.

Maybe a better way to put it would be "where do you rank UConn among the all-time great CBB programs?"

Tier 1 - Navy Blue Blood
UCLA
UK
UNC

Tier 2 - Royal Blue Blood
Indiana
Kansas

Tier 3 - New Blood
Duke
Connecticut
Villanova

Tier 4 - Others

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-04-05, 13:08

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Tier 1 - Navy Blue Blood
UCLA
UK
UNC

Indiana
Kansas

Tier 3 - New Blood
Duke
Connecticut
Villanova

Tier 4 - Others

Quarter century is a long time. In 25 years Indianba has been through 7 coaches including Dakich maybe been to 4 sweet 16s. 2 elite 8s At what point do you loses that status?

Is Army still a blue blood football program? Syracuse? Just think it’s a tired narrative. All time programs or blue blood. Meh. Where are you at now.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-05, 13:13

So Nigel thinks MSU is an other. Hmmm. Speaking of the color blue...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-05, 13:22

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Tier 1 - Navy Blue Blood
UCLA
UK
UNC

Indiana
Kansas

Tier 3 - New Blood
Duke
Connecticut
Villanova

Tier 4 - Others

Quarter century is a long time. In 25 years Indianba has been through 7 coaches including Dakich maybe been to 4 sweet 16s. 2 elite 8s At what point do you loses that status?

Is Army still a blue blood football program? Syracuse? Just think it’s a tired narrative. All time programs or blue blood. Meh. Where are you at now.

Agreed. Blue blood to me is like old money. Historical.

I’d obviously take UCONN’s success over Indiana’s the last 25 years.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-05, 13:25

Turtleneck wrote:So Nigel thinks MSU is an other. Hmmm. Speaking of the color blue...

Others meaning teams with 2 championships. I’m not putting us with Duke and UCONN.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-04-05, 13:30

I'd trade our tourney streak for 3 more rings.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-05, 13:50

I would trade some Bud Light for 3 more Championships.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-04-05, 13:54

But would you trade the tourney streak for Bud Light?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-05, 14:01

Blue Blood means consistently near the top for decades in basketball.  With the expansion of the NCAA to 64+ teams not sure how good a metric that is.

Also not sure there are any real Blue Bloods right now, if there are MSU is in the discussions.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-05, 14:35

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:So Nigel thinks MSU is an other. Hmmm. Speaking of the color blue...

Others meaning teams with 2 championships.  I’m not putting us with Duke and UCONN.

I'm just giving you a hard time. If you are a blue, you're the best secret agent in the history of the blue-green war.

I am tempted to move UCLA to Tier 2. It seems like it's been a minute since they were real national contenders. I would move Kansas up to Tier 1 and Duke to at least Tier two. I guess I am basing it not just on titles but the super subjective factor of the longevity of relevance, which, ironically, is probably a recency bias.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-05, 14:46

Turtleneck wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Others meaning teams with 2 championships.  I’m not putting us with Duke and UCONN.

I'm just giving you a hard time. If you are a blue, you're the best secret agent in the history of the blue-green war.

I am tempted to move UCLA to Tier 2. It seems like it's been a minute since they were real national contenders. I would move Kansas up to Tier 1 and Duke to at least Tier two. I guess I am basing it not just on titles but the super subjective factor of the longevity of relevance, which, ironically, is probably a recency bias.

UCLA was a blue blood, but not now.

Indiana was a blue blood, but not now.

Duke is a blue blood.

Gonzaga is a blue blood

&

MSU is a blue blood

A blue blood is where, everything else being equal, the best players want to say the program wanted them to play
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-05, 14:54

Trapper Gus wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Duke is a blue blood.

Gonzaga is a blue blood

&

MSU is a blue blood

A blue blood is where, everything else being equal, the best players want to say the program wanted them to play

Gonzaga has no national championships, and their success is relatively recent. It's a great program, but they are farther down the list to me. I think Nigel named them all, but I would probably order them differently.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-04-05, 14:55

Really not surprised by this debate. The potential for long, drawn out discussion is nearly as great as music lists, all-time athletes and team lists, Apple vs. Android, or foreign vs. domestic vehicles. Well done, Turtleneck. Not bad for a blue.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-05, 14:57

tGreenWay wrote:Really not surprised by this debate. The potential for long, drawn out discussion is nearly as great as music lists, all-time athletes and team lists, Apple vs. Android, or foreign vs. domestic vehicles. Well done, Turtleneck. Not bad for a blue blood poster with multiple posting titles.

Fixed. Also, everybody knows the best year in music history was 1991, and you should prefer domestic vehicles.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-05, 15:01

Turtleneck wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Duke is a blue blood.

Gonzaga is a blue blood

&

MSU is a blue blood

Gonzaga has no national championships, and their success is relatively recent. It's a great program, but they are farther down the list to me. I think Nigel named them all, but I would probably order them differently.

My main point is that today's blue blood's are not the same as yesterday's. 24 NCAA bids is pretty impressive.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-05, 15:03

Taking Nigel's format, I would go

T1: UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC
T2: Indiana, UCLA, UConn
T3: Villanova, Louisville, MSU

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-04-05, 15:08

Trapper Gus wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

My main point is that today's blue blood's are not the same as yesterday's. 24 NCAA bids is pretty impressive.

Gonzaga, imo, is currently an elite program, but not a blue blood. No titles being the relevant missing link. There’s no shame in being elite but no higher and is something to be embraced. They might upgrade their status eventually. It’s a journey. I hope they enjoy it as much as I’ve had fun with TI’s teams.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-04-05, 15:10

So this is the best we can do after a dump of a men's Final 4?

Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? 2943907172
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-04-05, 15:14

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Really not surprised by this debate. The potential for long, drawn out discussion is nearly as great as music lists, all-time athletes and team lists, Apple vs. Android, or foreign vs. domestic vehicles. Well done, Turtleneck. Not bad for a blue pretending to be green.

Fixed. Also, everybody knows the best year in music history was 1991, and you should prefer domestic vehicles.

Yes, yes, we all know you’re a huge fan groupie of Michael Bolton. Do you still drive your Ford truck to his shows?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-04-05, 15:15

Nordic wrote:So this is the best we can do after a dump of a men's Final 4?

Do You Consider UConn a "Blue Blood"? 2943907172

It’s OT season. We need to warm up before things really get going.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-04-05, 15:15

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Really not surprised by this debate. The potential for long, drawn out discussion is nearly as great as music lists, all-time athletes and team lists, Apple vs. Android, or foreign vs. domestic vehicles. Well done, Turtleneck. Not bad for a blue blood poster with multiple posting titles.

You're gonna need to start a separate thread and defend that assertion, because, on its face, that is absolutely absurd.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-05, 15:25

Turtleneck wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I'll throw in Duke with UCLA, Kentucky, UNC, IU, and Kansas.

UCONN is New Blood, but could be considered the best program over the last 25 years (6 Championships).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-04-05, 15:47

If Dan Dakich was your head coach longer than 10 and a half minutes you don’t belong.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-04-05, 16:08

NigelUno wrote:No. They are not a "Blue Blood", unless someone wants to change the definition of "Blue Blood".

Did someone ever create a consensus definition in the first place in order to change it?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-05, 16:17

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:No. They are not a "Blue Blood", unless someone wants to change the definition of "Blue Blood".

Did someone ever create a consensus definition in the first place in order to change it?

Also...Do you have to be blue to be a blue blood?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-04-05, 16:19

The only thing I really consider uconn is a good source for final four erections.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-05, 16:26

DWags wrote:If Dan Dakich was your head coach longer than 10 and a half minutes you don’t belong.

Fair
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down