Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you want our coaches to tamper? Yes or no

+5
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
DWags
9 posters

Go down

Do you want our coaches to tamper?   Yes or no  Empty Do you want our coaches to tamper? Yes or no

Post by DWags Tue 2 May 2023 - 14:31

Obviously, I know Tom Izzo would never do that. I don’t think Mel Tucker would do it either. In the short time he’s been at MSU. He seems like a pretty straight up ethical guy. If crap happens on his staff, he seems more eager to get rid of that, then, if he has a coach that’s not doing so well.

However, if unscrupulous coaches from other teams are playing the game by calling our athletes, what do you want MSU to do the same? I know we just hired a new general manager,  I don’t know how he’s going to run his office, but if what we hear is true, and I get the feeling that there are schools bending the rule and tampering, would you want MSU to do the same?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Do you want our coaches to tamper?   Yes or no  Empty Re: Do you want our coaches to tamper? Yes or no

Post by kingstonlake Tue 2 May 2023 - 14:39

Define tampering. If a kid is putting out feelers through his people, then yeah. Pick up the damn phone or "reach out"
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Do you want our coaches to tamper?   Yes or no  Empty Re: Do you want our coaches to tamper? Yes or no

Post by kingstonlake Tue 2 May 2023 - 14:40

And for the record I doubt Auburn said Thorne is a must have quarterback and initiated contact with him. I'm guessing word got out. I mean his dad obviously has contacts in the coaching sphere.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 2 May 2023 - 14:42

Are schools that tamper severely punished
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 2 May 2023 - 14:44

I don’t know.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 2 May 2023 - 14:47

kingstonlake wrote:Define tampering. If a kid is putting out feelers through his people, then yeah. Pick up the damn phone or "reach out"
that was my first thought when I saw the thread title.. "define tampering".

I know it's not exactly breaking news, but this is the new normal. The degree to which coaching staffs "tamper" will be debated based on who the target of the tampering is and the collective mood of that particular fan base. What one fan base calls "tampering" might be like Santa Claus coming down the chimney to the other fan base.

it kinda just seems like the gloves are off. I suspect that 5-10 years from now, major college sports (football and basketball) will be almost unrecognizable to what they were 3-5 years ago.

I don't like it, but unless there is some heavy-handed legislation involved that puts limits on the portal and NIL, you can't put toothpaste back in the tube.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 2 May 2023 - 14:49

We landed a certain RB a day after he entered the portal.

I'm not sayin'...
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 2 May 2023 - 15:51

It is only self preservation that coaches will keep in touch with players they would like to have playing for them, just in case the player decides to move on.

I wouldn't call this tampering, more like expanding the recruiting base to include all potential people who might want to play at MSU sometime in the future.

Making an offer when the player isn't in the portal is over the line, but saying "if you ever decide to move on from where you are at we would be interested" might not be.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue 2 May 2023 - 16:04

Gloves off bitches!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 2 May 2023 - 16:04

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Are schools that tamper severely punished

I think USC and Addison was the biggest example. And it appears no OSU cares or can do anything. But we have a basket coach who flies straight. I think the football coach is pretty much the same.

It’s not about getting in trouble, does anyone have a problem if a coach of ours Initiates any contact? I guess I do, I think. But screw it, it seems the gloves are off.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 2 May 2023 - 16:08

If there is no consequence then no I do not give a shit
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 2 May 2023 - 16:24

Keeping in touch is fine and probably necessary for players coaches might want to play for them. Keeping in contact is fine.

Izzo more focused on high school players and with more coaches keeping in contact Izzo may manage to focus on high school players as a niche area that others not as focused on anymore.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 2 May 2023 - 17:25

I just think about coaches like coach K and Roy Williams and scumbag Calipari. You know they all admire Izzo and partly for the reason that they all know he has doine it and never (as far as we know) did it illegally, or even better, unethically. It's rare. Maybe I have my green goggles on.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 2 May 2023 - 17:44

Yeah, if it's wild west now, I want daddy Ishbia to lead us into the promise land.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 2 May 2023 - 18:36

We’ve already had coaches with a temper. Nick Saban and JLS definitely lost it on people. Dantonio was a slow burn, but probably never lost it on any player at MSU.
What does a coaches temper have to do with our players hitting the portal?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 2 May 2023 - 18:37

Oh. I’m being told now that temper wasn’t the topic of this thread.
Never mind.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 2 May 2023 - 18:51

DWags wrote:I just think about coaches like coach K and Roy Williams and scumbag Calipari. You know they all admire Izzo and partly for the reason that they all know he has doine it and never (as far as we know) did it illegally, or even better, unethically. It's rare. Maybe I have my green goggles on.

Coach K is a snake. I think Roy, Cal, and Izzo all get along for the most part.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down