Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States?

+3
GRR Spartan
Cameron
Trapper Gus
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States? Empty How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States?

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-07-20, 08:57

Every couple of years, mainstream media hacks pretend to have just discovered libertarianism as some sort of radical, new and dynamic force in American politics. It’s a rehash that goes back decades, and hacks love it because it’s easy to write, and because it’s such a non-threatening “radical” politics (unlike radical left politics, which threatens the rich). The latest version involves a summer-long pundit debate in the pages of the New York Times, Reason magazine and elsewhere over so-called “libertarian populism.” It doesn’t really matter whose arguments prevail, so long as no one questions where libertarianism came from or why we’re defining libertarianism as anything but a big business public relations campaign, the winner in this debate is Libertarianism.

Pull up libertarianism’s floorboards, look beneath the surface into the big business PR campaign’s early years, and there you’ll start to get a sense of its purpose, its funders, and the PR hucksters who brought the peculiar political strain of American libertarianism into being — beginning with the libertarian movement’s founding father, Milton Friedman. Back in 1950, the House of Representatives held hearings on illegal lobbying activities and exposed both Friedman and the earliest libertarian think-tank outfit as a front for business lobbyists. Those hearings have been largely forgotten, in part because we’re too busy arguing over the finer points of “libertarian populism.”

Milton Friedman. In his early days, before millions were spent on burnishing his reputation, Friedman worked as a business lobby shill, a propagandist who would say whatever he was paid to say.  That's the story we need to revisit to get to the bottom of the modern American libertarian "movement," to see what it's really all about. We need to take a trip back to the post-war years, and to the largely forgotten Buchanan Committee hearings on illegal lobbying activities, led by a pro-labor Democrat from Pennsylvania, Frank Buchanan.

What the Buchanan Committee discovered was that in 1946, Milton Friedman and his U Chicago cohort George Stigler arranged an under-the-table deal with a Washington lobbying executive to pump out covert propaganda for the national real estate lobby in exchange for a hefty payout, the terms of which were never meant to be released to the public. They also discovered that a lobbying outfit which is today credited by libertarians as the movement’s first think-tank — the Foundation for Economic Education — was itself a big business PR project backed by the largest corporations and lobbying fronts in the country.

It starts just after the end of World War Two, when America’s industrial and financial giants, fattened up from war profits, established a new lobbying front group called the Foundation for Economic Education (FEE) that focused on promoting a new pro-business ideology—which it called “libertarianism”— to supplement other business lobbying groups which focused on specific policies and legislation.

https://www.alternet.org/2013/09/true-history-libertarianism-america-phony-ideology-promote-corporate-agenda

Also, just for S&G's here is a Thom Hartman rant about how the MAGA & Liberation positions unsurprisingly are the same.

https://hartmannreport.com/p/are-gop-governors-killing-their-citizens-6c2

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2023-08-20, 08:28; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

This Is The Way likes this post

Back to top Go down

How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States? Empty Re: How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States?

Post by Cameron 2023-07-20, 11:56

Does TM still post here?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States? Empty Re: How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States?

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-07-20, 12:14

The poster was being called out by just one of his screen names.

This ain’t the MSU 247 board where trolls get shut down and are back posting under a new name in minutes.

Why anyone would miss full time trolls is beyond me.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by This Is The Way 2023-07-20, 15:34

GRR Spartan wrote:The poster was being called out by just one of his screen names.

This ain’t the MSU 247 board where trolls get shut down and are back posting under a new name in minutes.

Does that piece of shit, Martin Spartan, post here?
This Is The Way
This Is The Way
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-07-20, 15:56

Cameron wrote:Does TM still post here?

Assuming he does, this post is primarily a refutation of his support of Libertarian positions as a rational philosophy.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-07-20, 18:35

This Is The Way wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:The poster was being called out by just one of his screen names.

Does that piece of shit, Martin Spartan, post here?

That's Mr. POS Martin Spartan

Show some damned respect.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and This Is The Way like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by This Is The Way 2023-07-20, 21:00

GRR Spartan wrote:
This Is The Way wrote:Does that piece of shit, Martin Spartan, post here?

That's Mr. POS Martin Spartan

Show some damned respect.
Ceterum censeo martin spartan esse delendam
This Is The Way
This Is The Way
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-21, 09:18

TM must be spending time with his golf clubs or yacht or his 401k or whatever it is republicans/libertarians work hard to get.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-21, 09:20

Trapper Gus wrote:
Every couple of years, mainstream media hacks pretend to have just discovered libertarianism as some sort of radical, new and dynamic force in American politics. It’s a rehash that goes back decades, and hacks love it because it’s easy to write, and because it’s such a non-threatening “radical” politics (unlike radical left politics, which threatens the rich). The latest version involves a summer-long pundit debate in the pages of the New York Times, Reason magazine and elsewhere over so-called “libertarian populism.” It doesn’t really matter whose arguments prevail, so long as no one questions where libertarianism came from or why we’re defining libertarianism as anything but a big business public relations campaign, the winner in this debate is Libertarianism.

Pull up libertarianism’s floorboards, look beneath the surface into the big business PR campaign’s early years, and there you’ll start to get a sense of its purpose, its funders, and the PR hucksters who brought the peculiar political strain of American libertarianism into being — beginning with the libertarian movement’s founding father, Milton Friedman. Back in 1950, the House of Representatives held hearings on illegal lobbying activities and exposed both Friedman and the earliest libertarian think-tank outfit as a front for business lobbyists. Those hearings have been largely forgotten, in part because we’re too busy arguing over the finer points of “libertarian populism.”

Milton Friedman. In his early days, before millions were spent on burnishing his reputation, Friedman worked as a business lobby shill, a propagandist who would say whatever he was paid to say.  That's the story we need to revisit to get to the bottom of the modern American libertarian "movement," to see what it's really all about. We need to take a trip back to the post-war years, and to the largely forgotten Buchanan Committee hearings on illegal lobbying activities, led by a pro-labor Democrat from Pennsylvania, Frank Buchanan.

What the Buchanan Committee discovered was that in 1946, Milton Friedman and his U Chicago cohort George Stigler arranged an under-the-table deal with a Washington lobbying executive to pump out covert propaganda for the national real estate lobby in exchange for a hefty payout, the terms of which were never meant to be released to the public. They also discovered that a lobbying outfit which is today credited by libertarians as the movement’s first think-tank — the Foundation for Economic Education — was itself a big business PR project backed by the largest corporations and lobbying fronts in the country.

It starts just after the end of World War Two, when America’s industrial and financial giants, fattened up from war profits, established a new lobbying front group called the Foundation for Economic Education (FEE) that focused on promoting a new pro-business ideology—which it called “libertarianism”— to supplement other business lobbying groups which focused on specific policies and legislation.

https://www.alternet.org/2013/09/true-history-libertarianism-america-phony-ideology-promote-corporate-agenda

Also, just for S&G's here is a Thom Hartman rant about how the MAGA & Liberation positions unsurprisingly are the same.

really? I never noticed. How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States? 502811600

(it's hard to believe that pointy-headed intellectual mainstream media types get paid to unearth the sort of thing that idiots like me have known all along).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-07-21, 09:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:TM must be spending time with his golf clubs or yacht or his 401k or whatever it is republicans/libertarians work hard to get.

Driving his Jeep from his Midwestern to Mountain State homes and back again?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-07-21, 09:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

really? I never noticed. How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States? 502811600

(it's hard to believe that pointy-headed intellectual mainstream media types get paid to unearth the sort of thing that idiots like me have known all along).

Sort of hoping that TM is at least still reading, though it is unlikely that it will change his opinions, at least he will know his opinions are built on sand.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-21, 10:07

Trapper Gus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:TM must be spending time with his golf clubs or yacht or his 401k or whatever it is republicans/libertarians work hard to get.

Driving his Jeep from his Midwestern to Mountain State homes and back again?
could be.. he worked hard to have that as an option.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-21, 10:10

Trapper Gus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: really? I never noticed. How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States? 502811600

Sort of hoping that TM is at least still reading, though it is unlikely that it will change his opinions, at least he will know his opinions are built on sand.
I suspect he is.. like most libertarian/republicans, he was always pretty fragile. His need for attention likely has him still checking in.

While I'm always happy to help folks out with whatever they need (I'm stricken with the empathy gene), he does, nor did, nothing to warrant his own thread of poetry, though I suspect his libertarian/republican "personal freedom" mainstream media-informed manifesto would be similar to our 'ol friend, Guest.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-07-21, 10:17

There once was a Travelen Man
Who stood up for what he can
Takers not Makers
Boozers not Bakers
Hard work was his matra to ban
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-07-21, 13:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I suspect he is.. like most libertarian/republicans, he was always pretty fragile. His need for attention likely has him still checking in.

While I'm always happy to help folks out with whatever they need (I'm stricken with the empathy gene), he does, nor did, nothing to warrant his own thread of poetry, though I suspect his libertarian/republican "personal freedom" mainstream media-informed manifesto would be similar to our 'ol friend, Guest.

And your 47,000+ posts are clear proof that you have no desire for attention whatsoever.

/s for Gus.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-21, 15:02

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: I suspect he is.. like most libertarian/republicans, he was always pretty fragile. His need for attention likely has him still checking in.

And your 47,000+ posts are clear proof that you have no desire for attention whatsoever.

/s for Gus.
I like it when you get sassy..

How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States? 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5gk33y87d00gg0pfa9eoo43gscmvtdmri2lw7b5ft&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-24, 12:12

I kinda miss TM.

he was fun to needle with.. kinda sensitive, quick to lash out at people who didn't fall into his republican/libertarian brand.

oh well.. I suspect he's in a more comfortable spot where his bubble of privilege isn't challenged.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-07-24, 13:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I kinda miss TM.

he was fun to troll.. kinda sensitive, quick to lash out at people who didn't fall into his republican/libertarian brand.

oh well.. I suspect he's in a more comfortable spot where his bubble of privilege isn't challenged.

Edited for accuracy.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-24, 14:22

Cameron wrote:

he was fun to troll.. kinda sensitive, quick to lash out at people who didn't fall into his republican/libertarian brand.

Edited for accuracy.
he did not like being publicly disagreed with on very basic, fundamental things. How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States? 502811600

then he started demeaning my daughter (and worse).. not a good look.

but feel free to take up for the poor, privileged whiny victim who "worked hard to get to where he is", mocked people who work hourly jobs, parents who love and support their children, want them to be happy.. someone held him accountable for his words and he didn't like it. Most fragile people don't.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-07-24, 15:06

He was kind of a dick and you also trolled him. Both things can be true. Intentionally annoying people is just trolling, no matter how you dress it up.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-24, 15:45

Cameron wrote:He was a dick
edited for accuracy.

(oh - he was a fragile dick, as well.. this ain't no safe space, brah).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-07-24, 17:00

he was fun to needle with.. kinda sensitive, quick to lash out at people who didn't fall into his republican/libertarian brand.

So, I noticed he disappeared right when that guy in New York got arrested. I'm certainly not implying there is a connection, far from it. I just noticed the coincidence of timing.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-24, 17:09

DWags wrote:

So, I noticed he disappeared right when that guy in New York got arrested. I'm certainly not implying there is a connection, far from it. I just noticed the coincidence of timing.
How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States? 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-07-24, 19:00

I'm assuming he is just pouting ... maybe we need to add him to the poetry thread?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-24, 19:53

Trapper Gus wrote:I'm assuming he is just pouting ... maybe we need to add him to the poetry thread?
yeah, see.. TM didn't rise to Guest status.

Guest was just.. Guest. Weird, detached from reality, but a good guy. He decided it was time to take care of himself and step away. TM had multiple screen names and insulted/demeaned/denigrated other poster's kids.

Not the same.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-25, 19:23

Remember when TM (who worked hard to get to where he is) belittled people who work at Wal-Mart?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-07-26, 07:18

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/7/25/2183348/-Dietrich-Bonhoeffer-explained-how-stupidity-enables-MAGA

Breakdown of an analysis of MAGA types.

One disagreement with the author, in my experience being smart has little to do with bring stupid, so intelligence is not a defense against becoming a MAGA supporter.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-26, 07:59

Trapper Gus wrote:https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/7/25/2183348/-Dietrich-Bonhoeffer-explained-how-stupidity-enables-MAGA

Breakdown of an analysis of MAGA types.

One disagreement with the author, in my experience being smart has little to do with bring stupid, so intelligence is not a defense against becoming a MAGA supporter.
yeah, as we've known for some time now, America is a stupid country. This article goes a bit more in depth to what we've known all along, but certainly nothing 'new' or surprising.

The thing is.. that the libertarian/republican types think that they're "smart", and the leaders who take advantage of their vulnerabilities, with a wealth of assistance from the mainstream media, assuage their ego via confirmation of the lies they tell themselves.

Which is why when someone boasts about "I worked hard to get to where I am", the man behind the curtain swoops in and says, "yes you did.. and I'm not going to let "those people" take what you worked hard for".

At that point, the libertarian/republican types will do anything to prop up their heroes who are sent by God to protect them.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-07-26, 14:35

A discussion about the origins of libertarianism with no mention of its classical liberal influence, or even the more recent work of Robert Nozick, is not much of a discussion. I guess we should not expect better form a guy once on Russian state-funded TV's payroll, even if he went to MSU.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-07-26, 15:48

Turtleneck wrote:A discussion about the origins of libertarianism with no mention of its classical liberal influence, or even the more recent work of Robert Nozick, is not much of a discussion. I guess we should not expect better form a guy once on Russian state-funded TV's payroll, even if he went to MSU.

The discussion is about the Libertarian Party, Libertarianism is all over the map, from the far left versions to the far right versions, however commonly in the US it follows the right wing billionaires version.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-07-26, 16:34

and dynamic force in American politics. It’s a rehash that goes back decades, and hacks love it because it’s easy to write, and because it’s such a non-threatening “radical” politics (unlike radical left politics, which threatens the rich). The latest version involves a summer-long pundit debate in the pages of the New York Times, Reason magazine and elsewhere over so-called “libertarian populism.” It doesn’t really matter whose arguments prevail, so long as no one questions where libertarianism came from or why we’re defining libertarianism as anything but a big business public relations campaign, the winner in this debate is Libertarianism.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-07-26, 17:18

Turtleneck wrote:
and dynamic force in American politics. It’s a rehash that goes back decades, and hacks love it because it’s easy to write, and because it’s such a non-threatening “radical” politics (unlike radical left politics, which threatens the rich). The latest version involves a summer-long pundit debate in the pages of the New York Times, Reason magazine and elsewhere over so-called “libertarian populism.” It doesn’t really matter whose arguments prevail, so long as no one questions where libertarianism came from or why we’re defining libertarianism as anything but a big business public relations campaign, the winner in this debate is Libertarianism.

Did you mean to say anymore, or what?

Novak, writing in the 1970's, was only another among the putrid pile of light weights who tried to make the unworkable concept of individual liberty as the center of a moral philosophy.

The first problem with trying to do that as the basis of human society and interactions is that one human cannot survive from birth to death on their own. Thus the liberty of the individual cannot be the first principle of a moral code.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-26, 18:58

I'm not real smart (obviously), but...

from what I can tell, "libertarians" are republicans who pretend not to adhere to a political ideology because it helps them sleep at night.

I'd just as soon them promote racism, bigotry, misogyny and white nationalism. We know who they are, anyway.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-07-26, 19:42

Trapper Gus wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

No. You said the discussion is about the Libertarian Party and not libertarianism, but as can be seen in the bolded parts, Hartmann repeatedly says libertarianism.

Novak, writing in the 1970's, was only another among the putrid pile of light weights who tried to make the unworkable concept of individual liberty as the center of a moral philosophy.

Do you mean Nozick? You know, the person you never heard of before today but are now an expert on? I suppose "lightweight" is an excellent way to describe the late Ivy League Ph.D., Harvard professor, President of the American Philosophy Association, and oft cited author.  I am no fan of libertarianism, but I can recognize and treat with thoughtfulness it's intellectual roots and philosophical contentions.

The first problem with trying to do that as the basis of human society and interactions is that one human cannot survive from birth to death on their own.  Thus the liberty of the individual cannot be the first principle of a moral code.

First, there is nothing wrong with asserting individual liberty as a first principle. Second, and most importantly, your decoupling of individual liberty from concepts related to justice (like equity, cooperation, and community) creates a false choice. Your argument that a strong and authoritative state is necessary to secure justice treats human nature as endogenous and highlights an acceptance of status quo thought without critical inquiry.

Again, I by no means a libertarian, but Hartmann cherry picks his starting point and arguments.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-07-26, 19:45

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm not real smart (obviously), but...

from what I can tell, "libertarians" are republicans who pretend not to adhere to a political ideology because it helps them sleep at night.

I'd just as soon them promote racism, bigotry, misogyny and white nationalism. We know who they are, anyway.

Libertarians are sucked in by a superficially pleasant but on deeper examination significantly flawed ideal of the freedom of the individual as the ultimate value in human affairs.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-26, 19:48

Trapper Gus wrote:

Libertarians are sucked in by a superficially pleasant but on deeper examination significantly flawed ideal of the freedom of the individual as the ultimate value in human affairs.
as we established with our 'ol pal TM, they talk about 'personal freedom', but actual 'freedom' is the opposite of which they believe.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-07-26, 19:49

They very much adhere to an ideology. While they are often pro-market by default, they are also liberal on social issues, which puts them far away from order minded conservatives. It's not unlike calling Biden a socialist. It looks dumb to people who know better. So, you are wrong. I know that is hard for you hear because you are never wrong. Go easy on me, Bob.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-07-26, 20:00

Turtleneck wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

No. You said the discussion is about the Libertarian Party and not libertarianism, but as can be seen in the bolded parts, Hartmann repeatedly says libertarianism.

Do you mean Nozick? You know, the person you never heard of before today but are now an expert on? I suppose "lightweight" is an excellent way to describe the late Ivy League Ph.D., Harvard professor, President of the American Philosophy Association, and oft cited author.  I am no fan of libertarianism, but I can recognize and treat with thoughtfulness it's intellectual roots and philosophical contentions.

The first problem with trying to do that as the basis of human society and interactions is that one human cannot survive from birth to death on their own.  Thus the liberty of the individual cannot be the first principle of a moral code.

First, there is nothing wrong with asserting individual liberty as a first principle. Second, and most importantly, your decoupling of individual liberty from concepts related to justice (like equity, cooperation, and community) creates a false choice. Your argument that a strong and authoritative state is necessary to secure justice treats human nature as endogenous and highlights an acceptance of status quo thought without critical inquiry.

Again, I by no means a libertarian, but Hartmann cherry picks his starting point and arguments.

Yes, you knew who I meant.

Kant was a university professor too, but many find flaws with his writings. Expecially in philosophy having a degree does little for the validity of one's writings.  One could easily point to Thomas Stowell as a controversial example of this.

Hartman has at least examined the ideas and the real world results of those ideas, regardless of his past employment, which is somewhat meaningless.

The point of my post is that one cannot build a logically coherent system starting from "individual liberty" as a first principle.  It has its place in a hierarchy of goods,  however, survival of the species is a higher good.

Thus individual liberty when it is not in directly in conflict with survival of the "tribe" is a good, just not the ultimate good.  It is also compatible, as a good, with various political systems.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-07-26, 20:13

Trapper Gus wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Yes, you knew who I meant.

Kant was a university professor too, but many find flaws with his writings. Expecially in philosophy having a degree does little for the validity of one's writings.  One could easily point to Thomas Stowell as a controversial example of this.

Hartman has at least examined the ideas and the real world results of those ideas, regardless of his past employment, which is somewhat meaningless.

The point of my post is that one cannot build a logically coherent system starting from "individual liberty" as a first principle.  It has its place in a hierarchy of goods,  however, survival of the species is a higher good.

Thus individual liberty when it is not in directly in conflict with survival of the "tribe" is a good, just not the ultimate good.  It is also compatible, as a good, with various political systems.

Why does individual liberty threaten the species? None of these people - your comments about Kant, if they qualify as comments, demonstrate an absolute lack of knowledge about any of this - are promoting some kind of state of nature.

You just keep repeating the same thing with no further arguments or examples. Go home, Trapper. You're drunk.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-07-26, 20:22

Turtleneck wrote:

They very much adhere to an ideology. While they are often pro-market by default, they are also liberal on social issues, which puts them far away from order minded conservatives. It's not unlike calling Biden a socialist. It looks dumb to people who know better. So, you are wrong. I know that is hard for you hear because you are never wrong. Go easy on me, Bob.
I just know that our proud libertarian friend - before he got sad and left - was very much pro-"personal freedom'.... until I voiced support for my daughter. How the Libertarian Party Started in The United States? 502811600

So if they are the people you say they are, that's cool. But don't say one thing and then display another.

It's the hypocrisy that I ain't into.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next