Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bob, and swill - What do we think about U2?

+6
NigelUno
CaptainSlow33
Rick Saunders
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
Other Teams Pursuing That
10 posters

Go down

Bob, and swill - What do we think about U2? Empty Bob, and swill - What do we think about U2?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-14, 12:46

My first concert was actually U2 at Spartan Stadium and I’m headed to Vegas tomorrow to see them play at the new Sphere thing.

I know a lot of their hits but if anyone has some hidden gems I should listen to prior, it would be appreciated.

Bob, and swill - What do we think about U2? 3493939353
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bob, and swill - What do we think about U2? Empty Re: Bob, and swill - What do we think about U2?

Post by DWags 2024-02-14, 12:53

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:My first concert was actually U2 at Spartan Stadium and I’m headed to Vegas tomorrow to see them play at the new Sphere thing.

I know a lot of their hits but if anyone has some hidden gems I should listen to prior, it would be appreciated.

I was living at 136 Linden when they played Dooleys. I think we had already stole the wooden Bar Duffy had left outside when he was managing but I get my days confused.

Enjoy the concert.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, Other Teams Pursuing That, tGreenWay and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Bob, and swill - What do we think about U2? Empty Re: Bob, and swill - What do we think about U2?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-14, 13:03

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:My first concert was actually U2 at Spartan Stadium and I’m headed to Vegas tomorrow to see them play at the new Sphere thing.

seems like U2 is a fairly polarizing band. Not real sure why.

I wouldn't categorize myself as a U2 'fan', but I like a lot of their music. They did kind of lose me, though, after The Joshua Tree. Really loved their early stuff off of Boy and War.

I will say that "One" off of Achtung Baby is one of my favorite songs ever written.

I don't think Rattle and Hum gets the attention it deserves for being a great live record. I think it was very good and the version of "Bullet the Blue Sky" on that particular album is absolutely epic, with a face-melting guitar. Opens with the National Anthem and Larry Mullen, Jr. steps into that damn drum part.  And you can feel the bass line in your chest.

and Bono's dialogue.. "the God I believe in isn't short of cash, Mister"... fuck yeah - Bob, and swill - What do we think about U2? 3493939353

A sentimental favorite live record of mine is "Under a Blood Red Sky" - a couple of tunes on this release were recorded at Red Rocks. 40 is such a great way to end that record with the crowd singing the refrain as the band left the stage.. the recording kept going.

it's a sentimental favorite 'cause my brother loved that record in the early-to-mid-80's and I remember hearing it coming from his bedroom.

that's probably not what you were looking for..  Bob, and swill - What do we think about U2? 502811600  - but I'm happy for ya, kinda jealous. I swore last March was my last huge, arena-esque show when I stood watching Springsteen, probably for the last time, walk off the stage in Detroit.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-14, 13:07

the version of "40" I referenced above. So good.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-14, 13:08

then "Bullet the Blue Sky" off of Rattle and Hum.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2024-02-14, 14:09

As many of us did I grew up in a small town (my parents didn't grow up in the same small town but I digress just to get a quote from Springsteen in for Bob). If we were lucky we could get reception of WLAV. That meant a lot of Yes and Pink Floyd in 1979 which I liked just fine.

One day, early fall, I hear this wonderful sound coming out of the dorm room of a guy down the hall who was from Cali (became my best friend). I had never heard anything like it but I loved it. It said "I will follow" and so I did. I know less than nothing since Zooropa and I can't practically listen to music any more as some of you might recall. But whatever they've done since I give them a pass for that stretch between 1980-1993.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-14, 14:41

I'm good with or without U2.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay, Nordic and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-02-14, 14:53

They aren't my favorite band, but I enjoy most of their hits. They also put on a really great live show. I saw them at Spartan Stadium and loved it. My dad saw them at the Sphere and said it was an incredible experience.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-14, 15:35

DWags wrote:

I was living at 136 Linden when they played Dooleys. I think we had already stole the wooden Bar Duffy had left outside when he was managing but I get my days confused.

Enjoy the concert.

Dick
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, The Pantry, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-14, 15:42

DWags wrote:

Enjoy the concert.

Life was more fun when there weren't cameras everywhere.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-14, 15:48

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

Enjoy the concert.

Dick
Wait. You managed Dooleys? What years?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-02-14, 15:54

Saw them at the silver dome. Pretty cool.  I was a sophomore in high school ( 80’) when I heard “I will follow”. Thought it was awesome. Loved “Gloria” as well.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-02-14, 17:25

Robert J Sakimano wrote:then "Bullet the Blue Sky" off of Rattle and Hum.

You still have to watch the Eddie Vedder of One at the Kennedy Center Honors U2 performance.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-14, 18:01

The Pantry wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Dick
Wait. You managed Dooleys? What years?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down