Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Social Security 1933 Life Expectancy Myth

+2
Travis of the Cosmos
Trapper Gus
6 posters

Go down

Social Security 1933 Life Expectancy Myth Empty Social Security 1933 Life Expectancy Myth

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 9:23

Time after time we see financial pundits and some on this board bemoaning the idea that when Social Security was created the life expectancy in the United States was under age 65, the Social Security retirement age when it was created.

What these naysayers neglect to say is that the number they are using is life expectancy at birth which is hugely distorted because infant mortality rates were much higher in 1933.

Life expectancy at age 20 in 1933 was much higher than age 65, and age 20 is a reasonable point at which we can believe that someone begins to contribute via Social Security taxes.

Today a chart showing life expectance at age 65 showed up in my new feed, and thus here it is, showing that life expectance at age 65 was much higher than life expectancy at birth in 1933.

Social Security 1933 Life Expectancy Myth Scree238

Of course, the attached article is full of similar myths, it does cite life expectancy at birth as an argument, and as we know, this is a myth.

It also shows projected life expectancy going out to 2100. The problem with this projection is that is assumes that life expectance will increase in the future as it has in the past, and as we all know, future returns based on past performance is a high-risk assumption, which in the past 20 years has not worked.

https://www.axios.com/2024/03/26/blackrock-larry-fink-ceo-retirement
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Social Security 1933 Life Expectancy Myth Empty Re: Social Security 1933 Life Expectancy Myth

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 9:46

That’s always how life expectancy works trapper. Every day your life expectancy gets a little bit longer simply because you are not yet dead.

When people talk about life expectancy they talk about the at birth life expectancy basically always.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan and Cameron like this post

Back to top Go down

Social Security 1933 Life Expectancy Myth Empty Re: Social Security 1933 Life Expectancy Myth

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 9:57

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:That’s always how life expectancy works trapper. Every day your life expectancy gets a little bit longer simply because you are not yet dead.

When people talk about life expectancy they talk about the at birth life expectancy basically always.

While what you are saying is definitely correct, yet if one is an actuary evaluating the viability of a program such as Social Security, using life expectancy at birth as the expected number of possible recipients at age 65 will create huge errors in numbers.

Also, to use life expectance at birth as the argument that most people didn't reach an age to collect Social Security benefits in 1933, will also cause huge errors, as a huge majority of people who reached age 20 in 1893 were alive in 1933.

Thus, it is unlikely that the actuaries did their calculations using life expectancy at birth.

Yet the anti-social security crowd continues to use this number as an argument for why social security today isn't what was planned, which has nothing to do with how many people who actually worked for a living all their lives receive social security benefits or how the numbers were developed back in 1933.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 10:05

I don’t care about their arguments which are in service only to people richer and more powerful to them. There are easier ways to point out why they are stupid than talking about actuarial tables. When someone talks about life expectancy they are always talking about life expectancy at birth.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 10:23

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don’t care about their arguments which are in service only to people richer and more powerful to them. There are easier ways to point out why they are stupid than talking about actuarial tables. When someone talks about life expectancy they are always talking about life expectancy at birth.

I see, you are likely correct, but what are some of these ways, since I don't see them from my point of view?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by spartanwill Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 11:13

Based on your projections are you arguing that Social Security will be able to meet its full obligations beyond 2033? If so, are you arguing that no changes need to be made? Have you considered other factors besides life expectancy in your analysis. For instance, its a historical fact that fertility rates in the US have dropped significantly over the last 70 years. As a result, the ratio of workers to retiree has dropped as well. Since I plan on living beyond 2033 by a few years, I'd be interested in knowing your calculation for the 'date of insolvency' assuming the government continues to do nothing.
spartanwill
spartanwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 11:22

spartanwill wrote:Based on your projections are you arguing that Social Security will be able to meet its full obligations beyond 2033? If so, are you arguing that no changes need to be made? Have you considered other factors besides life expectancy in your analysis. For instance, its a historical fact that fertility rates in the US have dropped significantly over the last 70 years. As a result, the ratio of workers to retiree has dropped as well. Since I plan on living beyond 2033 by a few years, I'd be interested in knowing your calculation for the 'date of insolvency' assuming the government continues to do nothing.

We need more legal immigrants in the workforce paying into the system. If only someone would work on that.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Cameron, gomersbro, Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 12:44

spartanwill wrote:Based on your projections are you arguing that Social Security will be able to meet its full obligations beyond 2033? If so, are you arguing that no changes need to be made? Have you considered other factors besides life expectancy in your analysis. For instance, its a historical fact that fertility rates in the US have dropped significantly over the last 70 years. As a result, the ratio of workers to retiree has dropped as well. Since I plan on living beyond 2033 by a few years, I'd be interested in knowing your calculation for the 'date of insolvency' assuming the government continues to do nothing.

First, I don't know what the differences in mortality will do from a calculated perspective. All I could see, way back in the late 1990's when I began pointing out that life expectancy at 65 numbers, projected out 75 years, as Social Security is required by law to do, appeared to be optimistic, which meant that the estimated spending due to the number of retired people, was too high.

However there are two othe major factors in the equations the social security Administration's actuaries have which are GDP and Tresuary Interest rates. I have never tried to test either of those estimates against reality.

My life expectancy numbers from way back in the late 1990s have held up reasonably well, while the social security actuaries numbers have shown themselves to have been optimistic. Covid played its part in that, however the counter argument about miracle medical treatments has not occurred, so life expectancy around that same as it was in 1998 is where we are at.

Regarding social security viability. The published date that the Trust Funds are exhausted is a Monte Carlo analysis varying all the various factors, creating a Gausian distribution. The reported number is the mean of that distribution. The range of that distribution is that the Trust Fund will be exhausted tomorrow at the short end, to it will never be exhausted at the long end.

If it becomes exhausted, then the incoming revenue from current taxes will be enough to pay 80% of projected benefits, so says the SSA.

The birth (and immigration) rate is also one of the factors in the ssa"s simulation formulas, and it is one of the factors social security critics point at to argue that the program should be scrapped. In real life the big drops in those taxed verses those receiving benefits happened in the 1950's & 1960's when the ration dropped to about 3 to 1 from much higher numbers. The Reagan/Greenspan/O'Neil fix to the program in the 1980's which created the baby boom surplus in the Trust Fund was done to address the dropping rates of those taxed to those receiving benefits.

Based on current numbers a further fix is need, and given the present politics it will be a combination of raising the age at which full benefits can be taken and creating addition tax revenue.

I, as a .much younger guy, started planning for a reduction in benefits when I was in my mid 40's. You should have done the same, or if you haven't you should, or if you have an FA work with them on that planning.

Aa the CIA guy said in the Borne movie. "Hope for the best; plan for the worst."
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by spartanwill Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 14:32

I learned from the Wells Hall board that one should never rely on the government for one's happiness so Ive been planning retirement for a long, long time. SS distributions are just icing on the cake. My big concern is if they try to means test distibutions as a way of righting the ship. It would be a dream scenario for the far left as it would be a direct transfer of wealth.

As for your life expectancy projections, only time will tell. There are too many other factors that will impact the trust fund besides life expectancy.
spartanwill
spartanwill
Spartiate

TravelinMan and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 15:30

spartanwill wrote:I learned from the Wells Hall board that one should never rely on the government for one's happiness so Ive been planning retirement for a long, long time. SS distributions are just icing on the cake.  My big concern is if they try to means test distibutions as a way of righting the ship. It would be a dream scenario for the far left as it would be a direct transfer of wealth.

As for your life expectancy projections, only time will tell. There are too many other factors that will impact the trust fund besides life expectancy.

Just to note, time has told, at least for the original projections I made back on TOB.  My projections were much closer to reality than the ssa's actuaries.

Looking at the projected graph I have not taken current ssa data on mortality to project what I would expect, however the ssa actuaries have a habit of ignoring what is actually happening and instead stubbornly sticking to their projections going forward in time.

Looking more closely at that chart it appears to be from somewhere in the pre-covid era (2010 or so) since life expectancy at age 65 has dropped for men dropped in the last couple years to about 77 and has rebounded back to 78.  The area of the graph where it rounds up and starts following pretty much a linear rise is clearly projection.

My current interest in it was that it shows that life expectancy for 65 year olds was in the mid 70's in the 1930's while the article it is in claims that no one much lived to 65 in 1935. The data tables from ssa show that about 60% of the people 65 years old were still alive in 1935.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by spartanwill Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 16:11

Just to note, time has told, at least for the original projections I made back on TOB.  My projections were much closer to reality than the ssa's actuaries.

Looking at the projected graph I have not taken current ssa data on mortality to project what I would expect, however the ssa actuaries have a habit of ignoring what is actually happening and instead stubbornly sticking to their projections going forward in time.

Looking more closely at that chart it appears to be from somewhere in the pre-covid era (2010 or so) since life expectancy at age 65 has dropped for men dropped in the last couple years to about 77 and has rebounded back to 78.  The area of the graph where it rounds up and starts following pretty much a linear rise is clearly projection.

My current interest in it was that it shows that life expectancy for 65 year olds was in the mid 70's in the 1930's while the article it is in claims that no one much lived to 65 in 1935. The data tables from ssa show that about 60% of the people 65 years old were still alive in 1935.

Again, I just don't see the point you are trying to make. It is only one factor of many.
spartanwill
spartanwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 17:14

spartanwill wrote:

Again, I just don't see the point you are trying to make. It is only one factor of many.

Really the simple point, and it is simple and mostly meaningless as Travis pointed out, is that the anti-social security people often say that "when social security started hardly anyone lived beyond age 65" which is just not correct.

In 1931, according to the SSA tables of survivorship, out of 100,000 births there were 50,195 still alive.  Effectively 50% of those born 65 years early. (I said 60% earlier, my bad and I had to dig out the data from years ago that I used in this discussion on TOB)

And this chart shows that those 50% people lived to an average of 78 years old if we add men and women together and average.

The person writing the article even makes the claim that most had died, which is just so wrong it is laughable.  

But if you are me, who likes people to get the numbers right, it is GD frustrating to see this simple mistake made over and over and over again in the press.

I think they keep making this mistake because they keep using average lifetime from birth, which is a number distorted by infant mortality, especially until we had modern medicine. In 1880 23% of the population died by age 20.

I agree it is such a simple point it is hard to see what I am talking about.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 8:19

Among other faults, Social Security is systemically racist. Given life span disparities many more black people, as compared to white people, pay into the system but never collect a dime in benefits.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 8:33

Zurn wrote:Among other faults, Social Security is systemically racist. Given life span disparities many more black people, as compared to white people, pay into the system but never collect a dime in benefits.

You do know you just stated the basic tenant of CRT, aka that laws in this country are systemically racist?

You have been arguing that point in a number of posts, so it is clear you agree with CRT.

As to your point, yes, many minority groups have shorter lifespans than the "white" majority, thus laws which appear to be neutral can be painted as having disproportionate effects on minorities. While it can be argued that the effect is as CRT defines, in this case at worst this was an unintended consequence as far as I know. If you can find arguments which were used during Congressional debates on the Social Secuity Bills debate I will concede the point.

It can also be argued that defined revenue stream programs are unfair to undocumented immigrants who use false documentation to work in this country and pay those taxes.

Here is an argument I have heard of regarding Social Security benefits being racially motivated, and the Social Security Administration's counter argument, FWIW:

The Social Security Act of 1935 excluded from coverage about half the workers in the American economy. Among the excluded groups were agricultural and domestic workers—a large percentage of whom were African Americans. This has led some scholars to conclude that policymakers in 1935 deliberately excluded African Americans from the Social Security system because of prevailing racial biases during that period. This article examines both the logic of this thesis and the available empirical evidence on the origins of the coverage exclusions. The author concludes that the racial-bias thesis is both conceptually flawed and unsupported by the existing empirical evidence. The exclusion of agricultural and domestic workers from the early program was due to considerations of administrative feasibility involving tax-collection procedures. The author finds no evidence of any other policy motive involving racial bias.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v70n4/v70n4p49.html

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 9:24

Back to the OP topic, I just came across this factoid, life expectancy from birth.

Overall life expectancy in the U.S. in, respectively, 2021 and 2022: 76.4 / 77.5

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 10:12

Zurn wrote:Among other faults, Social Security is systemically racist. Given life span disparities many more black people, as compared to white people, pay into the system but never collect a dime in benefits.

Would our schools be able to site this fact or naw?

Social Security 1933 Life Expectancy Myth 502811600

I love right wingers. They lie about screen names, they lie in debates and they lie to themselves.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 10:13

Trapper Gus wrote:

You do know you just stated the basic tenant of CRT, aka that laws in this country are systemically racist?

You have been arguing that point in a number of posts, so it is clear you agree with CRT.

As to your point, yes, many minority groups have shorter lifespans than the "white" majority, thus laws which appear to be neutral can be painted as having disproportionate effects on minorities. While it can be argued that the effect is as CRT defines, in this case at worst this was an unintended consequence as far as I know. If you can find arguments which were used during Congressional debates on the Social Secuity Bills debate I will concede the point.

It can also be argued that defined revenue stream programs are unfair to undocumented immigrants who use false documentation to work in this country and pay those taxes.

Here is an argument I have heard of regarding Social Security benefits being racially motivated, and the Social Security Administration's counter argument, FWIW:

The Social Security Act of 1935 excluded from coverage about half the workers in the American economy. Among the excluded groups were agricultural and domestic workers—a large percentage of whom were African Americans. This has led some scholars to conclude that policymakers in 1935 deliberately excluded African Americans from the Social Security system because of prevailing racial biases during that period. This article examines both the logic of this thesis and the available empirical evidence on the origins of the coverage exclusions. The author concludes that the racial-bias thesis is both conceptually flawed and unsupported by the existing empirical evidence. The exclusion of agricultural and domestic workers from the early program was due to considerations of administrative feasibility involving tax-collection procedures. The author finds no evidence of any other policy motive involving racial bias.

Oops beat me to it. Great minds think alike or in this case mushy old minds think kind of alike.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 10:17

DWags wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Oops beat me to it. Great minds think alike or in this case mushy old minds think kind of alike.

In 1950 these excluded classes of workers were added to those required to pay Social Security taxes and receive benefits after qualification by paying taxes for some number of quarters, right now a worker must pay taxes for 40 quarters (10 years) to qualify.

Will critics start calling this "agism"?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by spartanwill Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 11:03

Trapper Gus wrote:
spartanwill wrote:

Really the simple point, and it is simple and mostly meaningless as Travis pointed out, is that the anti-social security people often say that "when social security started hardly anyone lived beyond age 65" which is just not correct.

In 1931, according to the SSA tables of survivorship, out of 100,000 births there were 50,195 still alive.  Effectively 50% of those born 65 years early. (I said 60% earlier, my bad and I had to dig out the data from years ago that I used in this discussion on TOB)

And this chart shows that those 50% people lived to an average of 78 years old if we add men and women together and average.

The person writing the article even makes the claim that most had died, which is just so wrong it is laughable.  

But if you are me, who likes people to get the numbers right, it is GD frustrating to see this simple mistake made over and over and over again in the press.

I think they keep making this mistake because they keep using average lifetime from birth, which is a number distorted by infant mortality, especially until we had modern medicine. In 1880 23% of the population died by age 20.

You might as well be yelling at clouds.
spartanwill
spartanwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by spartanwill Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 11:11

Trapper Gus wrote:

How would you propose to fix it? Privatize a portion of the contribution?

spartanwill
spartanwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 11:13

spartanwill wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

You might as well be yelling at clouds.

Isn't that what this board is all about?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 11:18

spartanwill wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

As to your point, yes, many minority groups have shorter lifespans than the "white" majority, thus laws which appear to be neutral can be painted as having disproportionate effects on minorities. While it can be argued that the effect is as CRT defines, in this case at worst this was an unintended consequence as far as I know.  If you can find arguments which were used during Congressional debates on the Social Secuity Bills debate I will concede the point.

FIFY

How would you propose to fix it?  Privatize a portion of the contribution?

This position needs to have a deeper analysis as to minority life spans, as we don't know if the minority number being used in this argument is lifetime from birth or lifetime from start of economic participation as an adult.  Since minorities typically receive poorer health care, thus suffer higher infant mortality, & live in sometimes in areas with higher homicide rates, significantly for minorities between the age of 10 years to 30 years, lifetime from birth would be a distorted number to use for this.

Eliminate the age difference in lifespan by eliminating the white privilege in society and allowing minorities to have the same services and opportunities that those who are currently white privileged into them have.

Privatization of universal supports in the society are just an excuse to allow some wealthy people to grift off the economic activities of the rest of the population, so that idea is a non-starter for me.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 13:13

Just a quick note, using life tables from the CDC:

(As per Zurn's labeling)
Using age 20 as when people start paying into the system,
Using age 62 as when people start benefits
Life expectance at age 62 for years of benefits

"White People"
Who paid into the system and reached age 62 --> 86.382%
Number of years of benefits --> 20.4

"Black People"
Who paid into the system and reached age 62 --> 78.189%
Number of years of benefits --> 18.7

Zurn says; "many more black people, as compared to white people, pay into the system but never collect a dime in benefits."

Is a difference of 8% "many more"?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr72/nvsr72-12.pdf

https://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Health_Statistics/NCHS/Publications/NVSR/71-01/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 9 Apr 2024 - 11:45

No one on this board really cares about these details, however, with the ability to post screenshots I thought it would be fun to post a couple of spread sheets of percentage of life expectance by age per cohort.  

A cohort is taking a birth year and tracking how many people are still alive at certain time intervals, in the uploaded spreadsheets every ten years.

There are two tables, one which shows survivorship percentage from birth & one which shows survivorship from the prior decade age.

The numbers in "black" are actual people alive, the numbers in blue are estimates based on mortality rates for the ages at the latest year of how many will be alive.

Social Security 1933 Life Expectancy Myth Scree241

Social Security 1933 Life Expectancy Myth Scree242

The tables were created using the "All ages & Genders & races" period table from the following link:

https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=https%3A%2F%2Fftp.cdc.gov%2Fpub%2FHealth_Statistics%2FNCHS%2FPublications%2FNVSR%2F62_07%2FTable20.xlsx&wdOrigin=BROWSELINK

The period table uses mortality rates for one period (3-years) for each age group and estimates expected survivorship, instead of following the people born in a period and showing survivorship over time, which is a cohort table.

The estimates for the cohort table for each age, except birth, were created by averaging the survivorship rates from the 3-year period of the age group & the 3-year period of the age group plus 10-years.

Percentages within are "from birth" or from 10 years prior, except for the 20-years old to 65-years old which is the percentage of people who survived to 20-years old as the base for the percentage of survivors at 65-years old.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 11 Apr 2024 - 10:43

Adding this table to provide a complete data set.  This is a table that shows the percentage of survival at each age group from the age group before it in 10-year intervals.

Social Security 1933 Life Expectancy Myth Scree245

It effectively shows the mortality rates for each decade.  The interesting thing is that by age group until the age group for 90 years old is reached the percentage surviving mostly leveled off 40 years ago, making one wonder what the actuaries are smoking when they predict a continuing increase in life span going forward.

It is also interesting that in 1930 about 60% of 20 year olds were estimated to live to age 65. (There is an error in the labeling of that row) blowing the "few lived beyond 65 in 1933 argument" out of the water"
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down