Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HBO to offer standalone streaming

5 posters

Go down

HBO to offer standalone streaming Empty HBO to offer standalone streaming

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-10-15, 13:14

sometime next year. It's about time.
HBO

Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

HBO to offer standalone streaming Empty Re: HBO to offer standalone streaming

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-15, 13:36

Awesome. I would cancel the service with Comcast just to drop Comcast revenue.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-10-15, 13:42

InTenSity wrote:Awesome. I would cancel the service with Comcast just to drop Comcast revenue.

You're not going to be alone in that decision. Cable companies are going to lose a nice chunk of change over this.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-15, 14:39

Jake from State Farm wrote:

You're not going to be alone in that decision. Cable companies are going to lose a nice chunk of change over this.
My guess is that the standalone is going to be $20 a month, since I think its $15 a month through cable, they will do that to protect their cable subs. @$20 there will probably still be widespread pirating since Netflix is <$10 and would technically offer more. Amazon is already offering a lot of older shows as part of Prime. I think the HBO price point needs to be around $10 a month in order to really gain interest, but they will protect themselves.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-10-15, 15:32

InTenSity wrote:
My guess is that the standalone is going to be $20 a month, since I think its $15 a month through cable, they will do that to protect their cable subs. @$20 there will probably still be widespread pirating since Netflix is <$10 and would technically offer more. Amazon is already offering a lot of older shows as part of Prime. I think the HBO price point needs to be around $10 a month in order to really gain interest, but they will protect themselves.
Yeah, I would think that they would charge more in order to give people incentive to buy it through the cable company, otherwise the cable companies will go ape shit and they could lose those huge subscriber bases (it is still a pretty small percentage of the population that would want to go to streaming). Also, I wouldn't be shocked if the cable companies get a portion of the fee, especially if it's the same address as a former HBO subscriber through the cable companies, or any Comcast, Time Warner, DirecTV subscriber that signs up for this, whether they previously had HBO or not.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-10-15, 15:35

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Yeah, I would think that they would charge more in order to give people incentive to buy it through the cable company, otherwise the cable companies will go ape shit and they could lose those huge subscriber bases (it is still a pretty small percentage of the population that would want to go to streaming). Also, I wouldn't be shocked if the cable companies get a portion of the fee, especially if it's the same address as a former HBO subscriber through the cable companies, or any Comcast, Time Warner, DirecTV subscriber that signs up for this, whether they previously had HBO or not.

They will just charge you more on your internets even if they don't get a cut... remember, net neutrality and the complete lack of true competition in the vast majority of america.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-15, 15:37

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Yeah, I would think that they would charge more in order to give people incentive to buy it through the cable company, otherwise the cable companies will go ape shit and they could lose those huge subscriber bases (it is still a pretty small percentage of the population that would want to go to streaming).  Also, I wouldn't be shocked if the cable companies get a portion of the fee, especially if it's the same address as a former HBO subscriber through the cable companies, or any Comcast, Time Warner, DirecTV subscriber that signs up for this, whether they previously had HBO or not.
SmarTV's are coming down in price and that won't help the cable industry. Mine can stream HBOGo and many other things (except you BTN HBO to offer standalone streaming 2809484752 ). If people are paying on average $100/month for cable and $60 is for the channels, they will have to pay more for standalone internet, but save $50 a month. That works out to $600 a year, in about 18 months you could have a 55 inch 1080p HD SmarTV with the money you save by not having cable. 

That theory is fucked if Net Neutrality changes, though.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-10-16, 10:24

CBS has unveiled a new subscription service for consumers who simply wish to stream their favorite shows via the Internet, without the need to have an active cable subscription. The broadcaster's announcement follows HBO revealing similar plans. The CBS All Access service will set viewers back $5.99 a month.

A total of 14 US markets will be supported at launch, including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas and San Francisco. For those who reside outside the initial 14 markets will be restricted to viewing prime time shows a day after being shown, as well as access to more than 5,000 episodes of popular series, including Star Trek, MacGyver and others.

Unfortunately, it seems NFL games will not be shown on the new service. CBS officials note they're working to partner with NFL to provide said coverage online, and that consumers can already take advantage of other live sports already available for streaming.

CBS launches 'All Access' streaming subscription without the need for cable

Keep the good news coming. Except my biggest fear is that consumers who opt to go this way are going to see their ISPs jacking up prices.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down