Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gramps McGary to NBA off failed drug test.

+30
Chitown_Badger
BtothejizA
Punisher98
The_Dude
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
Notorious GiB
Wally Fairway
JEK
Heathens '87
y2kMgrad
TrueGreenSpartan
Ned Stark
goodbar
Heat Miser
Mentalstate
LoneWolfSparty
NigelUno
InTenSity
WBill
I Still Hate Weber State
xsanguine
Ted Hightower
Larry Kazamias
DWags
Giant Moose
Cosmo_Kramer
Ass Dan
duffy munn
Turtleneck
34 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gramps McGary to NBA off failed drug test. Empty Obsession: Although not official, Wetzel says McGary to NBA draft after failed drug test

Post by Turtleneck 2014-04-25, 09:11

According to Dan Wetzel at Yahoo!, McGary failed a random NCAA test during the Tournament. Instead of accepting a one year suspension, Wetzel says McGary will enter the draft. 

Still cannot post links, but the article is up.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Gramps McGary to NBA off failed drug test. Empty Gramps McGary to NBA off failed drug test.

Post by Guest 2014-04-25, 09:11

Smoked the dope, 1 year NCAA ban so off to the NBA.

sports.yahoo.com/news/mitch-mcgary-heading-to-nba-after-positive-marijuana-test-nets-him-shocking-year-long-ncaa-ban-073833742.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Gramps McGary to NBA off failed drug test. Empty Re: Gramps McGary to NBA off failed drug test.

Post by Guest 2014-04-25, 09:15

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 3m
Michigan just followed up after @DanWetzel story with quotes from Mitch McGary. Credit to both player/school for being open/honest.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Gramps McGary to NBA off failed drug test. Empty Re: Gramps McGary to NBA off failed drug test.

Post by duffy munn 2014-04-25, 09:16

Smoking dope ? At least this part of McGary's game is NBA ready.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-04-25, 09:19

HAHAHAHHHAHAHA douche
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-04-25, 09:20

A true Michigan man
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-04-25, 09:20

The NCAA is out of control. Randomly testing a guy who didn't even play and then giving him a year suspension?

Can't wait until superconferences leave them. Ridiculous.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-04-25, 09:20

Let me be the first to say that the rule is absolute bullshit. **** the NCAA. I could give a flying shit about Gramps, but the rule is absolute bullshit and another reason to organize as athletes at the NCAA level.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Kazamias 2014-04-25, 09:21

Bizarre.
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Hightower 2014-04-25, 09:23

But if he waits out the suspension, he can collect on social security.  Gramps McGary to NBA off failed drug test. 1811933421 
Ted Hightower
Ted Hightower
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-04-25, 09:26

Suspended for weed, LOL.

What a fucked up country/society we live in.

I hate that guy, but he got screwed hard by the NCAA.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State 2014-04-25, 09:26

Giant Moose wrote:The NCAA is out of control. Randomly testing a guy who didn't even play and then giving him a year suspension?

Can't wait until superconferences leave them. Ridiculous.

From the story it sounds like the only reason they tested him was because he dressed against Tennessee. The rule is ridiculous, but it seems like Beilein's decision to "pump up the team" cost him any chance of getting McGary back. Kind of funny.

Also, for him to be "randomly" tested, it seems like someone must have tipped them off. ASS DAN! You sly son of a bitch.
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-04-25, 09:27

Ciao! Italy
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-04-25, 09:27

So was this test administered by the NCAA? Hasn't MSU had players that have failed tests, or were they internal conducted by the AD and just not reported?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-04-25, 09:28

InTenSityX wrote:So was this test administered by the NCAA? Hasn't MSU had players that have failed tests, or were they internal conducted by the AD and just not reported?
If you read the article, failing NCAA tests comes with a severe punishment while failing university tests are much less harsh.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-04-25, 09:30

LooseGoose wrote:Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz  3m
Michigan just followed up after @DanWetzel story with quotes from Mitch McGary. Credit to both player/school for being open/honest.

Not sure I would describe it as "open/honest"

He was allowed to practice with the team even after he was suspended? And they knew he wasn't coming back?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-04-25, 09:33

Smoking weed is a prerequisite for the NBA
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-04-25, 09:33

NigelUno wrote:

He was allowed to practice with the team even after he was suspended? And they knew he wasn't coming back?

Also he trivializes smoking weed throughout the article. It's no big deal honestly, just not open and honest as much as making excuses.

Still, **** the ncaa, that rule is ridiculous
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-04-25, 09:34

He better start practicing his Turkish.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-04-25, 09:35

NigelUno wrote:

He was allowed to practice with the team even after he was suspended?  And they knew he wasn't coming back?

I'd also question "open/honest" on the "I smoked it only the one time and they got me" part. My bullshit meter went on tilt reading that, how many times have we all heard that over the years?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-04-25, 09:35

xsanguine wrote:Suspended for weed, LOL.

What a fucked up country/society we live in.

I hate that guy, but he got screwed hard by the NCAA.
Who cares? **** him.  The NCAA is the fucked up thing but they got this one right.  He is a liar, a cheater, and a **** head.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-04-25, 09:37

LooseGoose wrote:

I'd also question "open/honest" on the "I smoked it only the one time and they got me" part.   My bullshit meter went on tilt reading that, how many times have we all heard that over the years?

He's just trying to stop it from possibly hurting his NBA prospects (not sure that it would considering the characters already employed).

Who gives a shit... I wouldn't tell the NCAA any more than they actually know. **** them.

It is funny that it happens to McGramps, though. **** Michigan.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-04-25, 09:40

The dope smoked the dope? Maybe the Denver Nuggets should draft him.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-04-25, 09:45

LooseGoose wrote:

I'd also question "open/honest" on the "I smoked it only the one time and they got me" part.   My bullshit meter went on tilt reading that, how many times have we all heard that over the years?
Especially an athlete who is supposedly working out. I would think that with as much fluids as they drink it would flush their system out faster than 2 weeks if you only smoked once. Don't these guys know to drink cranberry juice? I just don't see how a one time user and athlete keeps THC in their system for 2 weeks.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 2014-04-25, 09:46

That is pretty fucked up, first time fail, which gets you at max of 3 games at any school if they catch (and report the catch) you.

If any player deserves a pass on weed, it's gramps. Bad back, super hyper ADD and is a shit ton old and still stuck in college.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-04-25, 09:46

LooseGoose wrote:

I love the Michigan spin on things...

"Mitch admitted it immediately," Beilein said of confronting him with the positive test. "We preach integrity each day in this program and this is reflective of that, someone coming out and saying I used very poor judgment and I regret it and I want to move forward. I think a lot of people will forgive people who make youthful mistakes."

So, if you get busted...and test positive...and you admit it...you have "integrity".
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-04-25, 09:48

Wonder if the silicon valley search functions will take a flyer on him?
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-04-25, 09:50

Thread merge beyotch!!!
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-04-25, 09:51

Heat Miser wrote:Thread merge beyotch!!!

Oh shit. That's awesome.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-04-25, 09:54

Mitch Kramer? Ah, he's a dead man.
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-04-25, 09:56

Likely partying with his biggest fan.....Vern Lundquist
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2014-04-25, 09:57

Renegade program.
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ned Stark 2014-04-25, 09:58

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:
Who cares? **** him.  The NCAA is the fucked up thing but they got this one right.  He is a liar, a cheater, and a **** head.

Usually I would assume that hating a guy so much meant that he fucked your gf or something, but in this case I know that's not true because there is no way a girl could stand you for more than a few minutes.
Ned Stark
Ned Stark
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueGreenSpartan 2014-04-25, 10:01

I love this line

"This entire case feels like a stern and inflexible bureaucracy pushing a high profile, would-be All-American out of college competition for no particularly good reason."

So just because he was a preseason All-American based on three tourney games the year before, he's not anointed a Would-Be All-American?  Gramps McGary to NBA off failed drug test. 1431518612 Gramps McGary to NBA off failed drug test. 1431518612 
TrueGreenSpartan
TrueGreenSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2014-04-25, 10:06

Well, fvck.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heathens '87 2014-04-25, 10:11

xsanguine wrote:

He's just trying to stop it from possibly hurting his NBA prospects (not sure that it would considering the characters already employed).

Who gives a shit... I wouldn't tell the NCAA any more than they actually know. **** them.

It is funny that it happens to McGramps, though. **** Michigan.

That's my read as well. The NCAA was going to announce the suspension so McGary wanted to get in front of the story with his open and honest admission. I do think it forced his hand to go to the NBA as I really wonder if he intended to play another year of college ball to improve his draft position. But I don't think this will change his draft position much (low first round, high second round) if he can show up in workouts and prove that he's healthy. Most important is that this hurts Michigan's team next year and embarrasses their university and arrogant fanbase. That pleases me.......
Heathens '87
Heathens '87
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-04-25, 10:11

This hardly seems fair. I'm sure it's for his glaucoma. Or arthritis.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-04-25, 10:26

They are gonna be suck next year!
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-04-25, 10:31

LoneWolfSparty wrote:They are gonna be suck next year!

Don't tell the Blue Wall they were trumpeting LaVert as the next pre-season all-american last week.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-04-25, 10:37

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:Smoking weed is a prerequisite for the NBA
So this should lead to the University of Colorado being able to recruit more one & done players, since they should be allowed to smoke weed there and better prepare for joining the National Blunt Association - amirite?
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next