Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bowl Payouts/Ticket Sales

5 posters

Go down

Bowl Payouts/Ticket Sales Empty Bowl Payouts/Ticket Sales

Post by NigelUno Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:46 am

"The Orange pays out $10,981,109 per team this year, while the Cotton pays $6 million – the same as the Fiesta and Peach, two other "New Year's 6" bowls in the new structure. The Rose and Sugar, both hosting Jan. 1 semifinals, pay out $8 million per team. The Big Ten gains a $4.1 million payout from the Citrus Bowl, but it also has to pay out $2 million to cover expenses for a 10th team.]The Orange pays out $10,981,109 per team this year, while the Cotton pays $6 million – the same as the Fiesta and Peach, two other "New Year's 6" bowls in the new structure. The Rose and Sugar, both hosting Jan. 1 semifinals, pay out $8 million per team. The Big Ten gains a $4.1 million payout from the Citrus Bowl, but it also has to pay out $2 million to cover expenses for a 10th team."

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/football/2014/12/12/baylor-outpacing-msu-cotton-bowl-ticket-sales/20294771/
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bowl Payouts/Ticket Sales Empty Re: Bowl Payouts/Ticket Sales

Post by InTenSity Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:43 am

Ticket sales not going so well...

This year, Baylor might end up doing the same thing to MSU. The MSU ticket office had sold about 6,000 of its allotment of 13,000 tickets for the Jan. 1 Cotton Bowl as of the close of business Thursday, a day after opening things to the public.
"We're struggling somewhat on ticket sales," MSU athletic director Mark Hollis told the Free Press about the most significant bowl matchup outside of the four-team playoff: the No. 4 Bears (11-1) against the No. 7 Spartans (10-2) at 12:30 p.m. New Year's Day (ESPN) at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

What a horrible, horrible place for MSU to play.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:52 am

one thing the new championship series structure does - and it's likely an unintended consequence - is hurt the lesser bowls like the Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, etc.

Mississippi State, TCU, Michigan State, Baylor, et al. all wanted to be in the Rose or Sugar. Anything less was a disappointment to the fanbase and it's reflecting in ticket sales and even fan excitement. At least at MSU it seems to be.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:00 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:one thing the new championship series structure does - and it's likely an unintended consequence - is hurt the lesser bowls like the Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, etc.

Mississippi State, TCU, Michigan State, Baylor, et al. all wanted to be in the Rose or Sugar. Anything less was a disappointment to the fanbase and it's reflecting in ticket sales and even fan excitement. At least at MSU it seems to be.

Baylor (local) and Miss State (best season and biggest bowl game in 75 years) are doing OK selling tickets. Not sure about TCU.

Michigan State has struggled to sell bowl tickets any place not in Florida (or the Rose Bowl).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:01 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:one thing the new championship series structure does - and it's likely an unintended consequence - is hurt the lesser bowls like the Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, etc.

I think the big thing is the switch from Orange to Cotton. My best friend was going to come down for the Orange bowl, my grandparents and at least one set of aunt and uncles were going to come down. That is about 8 people that I know that would have gone to the Orange, that have no interest in going to the Cotton. 

People were excited about Miami over NYE. Dallas...not so much. That and take it how you want, it is a perceived slight, even if its a better bowl (although financially it isn't a better bowl) and many fans just aren't going to go. I'd wager that there are more alumni in FL than there are in TX. Not to even mention that not a lot of people want to go to an away game that is veiled as a neutral game.

I'm guessing for the Orange, MSU would have sold at least 10k tickets and had 20-25k fans show up. I still think its going to be less than 10k MSU fans at the Cotton.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:12 am

InTenSity wrote:
I think the big thing is the switch from Orange to Cotton. My best friend was going to come down for the Orange bowl, my grandparents and at least one set of aunt and uncles were going to come down. That is about 8 people that I know that would have gone to the Orange, that have no interest in going to the Cotton. 

People were excited about Miami over NYE. Dallas...not so much. That and take it how you want, it is a perceived slight, even if its a better bowl (although financially it isn't a better bowl) and many fans just aren't going to go. I'd wager that there are more alumni in FL than there are in TX. Not to even mention that not a lot of people want to go to an away game that is veiled as a neutral game.

I'm guessing for the Orange, MSU would have sold at least 10k tickets and had 20-25k fans show up. I still think its going to be less than 10k MSU fans at the Cotton.
I understand where you're coming from and don't disagree..

the committee didn't do anyone a service (except for themselves aka ESPN) by doing the weekly made-for-TV shows... that took a lot of people down the path of "here is which bowl we'll be in and here is why" up until Sunday morning - even as all of the conference championship games went as expected.

once again, it's TV and corporate conglomerates driving the train. Certainly nothing new as you can always follow the money - that's what America is about - but had the committee held cards closer to their chest the entire season and not led teams/fans to believe one thing and then switch the last poll of the season (consequently the only one which mattered) then fans might not be left with such a distaste for the Cotton Bowl.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:30 am

"Hey kids I know you were excited about going to Florida, but how about Texas?"
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:52 am

NigelUno wrote:

Baylor (local) and Miss State (best season and biggest bowl game in 75 years) are doing OK selling tickets. Not sure about TCU.

Michigan State has struggled to sell bowl tickets any place not in Florida (or the Rose Bowl).
Michigan State struggled to sell bowl tickets in Florida, as well. I don't think our allotment was sold out for the Outback or the Capital One vs Bama. Maybe the Cap One against UGA since it was the first NYD bowl since 99, but I'm not sure. The advent of sites like Stubhub, and the fact that here in 2014 MSU still doesn't let you pick your tickets (at least not until they know how many big donors are buying tickets), has really hurt MSU's ability to sell the allotment. We still always bring double or triple what our allotment was, and we probably will to the Cotton as well.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:56 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Michigan State struggled to sell bowl tickets in Florida, as well.  I don't think our allotment was sold out for the Outback or the Capital One vs Bama.  Maybe the Cap One against UGA since it was the first NYD bowl since 99, but I'm not sure.  The advent of sites like Stubhub, and the fact that here in 2014 MSU still doesn't let you pick your tickets (at least not until they know how many big donors are buying tickets), has really hurt MSU's ability to sell the allotment.  We still always bring double or triple what our allotment was, and we probably will to the Cotton as well.
I'll buy you lunch if MSU has 30k fans show up.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:57 am

NigelUno wrote:"The Orange pays out $10,981,109 per team this year, while the Cotton pays $6 million – the same as the Fiesta and Peach, two other "New Year's 6" bowls in the new structure. The Rose and Sugar, both hosting Jan. 1 semifinals, pay out $8 million per team. The Big Ten gains a $4.1 million payout from the Citrus Bowl, but it also has to pay out $2 million to cover expenses for a 10th team.]The Orange pays out $10,981,109 per team this year, while the Cotton pays $6 million – the same as the Fiesta and Peach, two other "New Year's 6" bowls in the new structure. The Rose and Sugar, both hosting Jan. 1 semifinals, pay out $8 million per team. The Big Ten gains a $4.1 million payout from the Citrus Bowl, but it also has to pay out $2 million to cover expenses for a 10th team."

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/football/2014/12/12/baylor-outpacing-msu-cotton-bowl-ticket-sales/20294771/
I'm curious what happened to the other 17.5 million that was supposed to go to each team of the Orange Bowl? They make that agreement with the B1G, SEC, and ACC, a year or two ago, and now that's nullified? Maybe the CFP superseded all of that, or maybe the OB paid the other 35M to be part of the NY6?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:04 pm

InTenSity wrote:
I'll buy you lunch if MSU has 30k fans show up.
I think that's ambitious, but I'd expect us to have at least 20K at the Cotton. Ok, I guess that's not quite double the 13K allotment (I was thinking the allotment was 10K as I hadn't read all of the article). I should have said we'll double or triple what we actually sell from the allotment.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:06 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
I think that's ambitious, but I'd expect us to have at least 20K at the Cotton.  Ok, I guess that's not quite double the 13K allotment (I was thinking the allotment was 10K as I hadn't read all of the article).  I should have said we'll double or triple what we actually sell from the allotment.  
I'm sticking with my less than 10k prediction. No one is going to want MSU in another bowl. The same would happen at the Fiesta, and probably Peach.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down