Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food Prices - RU Fucking Kidding Me?

+25
Green Note
AvgMSUJoe
Brock Middlebrook
Robert J Sakimano
LoneWolfSparty
Turtleneck
Cym Jim
CORNER BLITZ
steveschneider
WhiteBoyHatcher
The Pantry
Floyd Robertson
Marc Summers
InTenSity
beal99
Gomer
Rod Porkmore
NigelUno
Jake from State Farm
kingstonlake
75alum
Travis of the Cosmos
The_Dude
Heat Miser
tTito
29 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Food Prices - RU Fucking Kidding Me? Empty Food Prices - RU Fucking Kidding Me?

Post by tTito 2014-12-14, 17:59

So I pop a Marie Callender's chicken pot pie in the micro for lunch. Never had one before. Nothing is inside but air, a few peas, a couple pieces of chicken. So fucking lame.

I haul a pound of 90 % lean ground beef out of the fridge to begin cooking dinner. Tacos. I look at the price tag, $6.49 per lb. Wife says it's all super expensive.

Next year I'm pulling small game, deer and fishing licenses and killing as many game animals as I can. Seriously pondering a garden.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Food Prices - RU Fucking Kidding Me? Empty Re: Food Prices - RU Fucking Kidding Me?

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-14, 18:01

Ramen noodles are still cheap after all these years.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Food Prices - RU Fucking Kidding Me? Empty Re: Food Prices - RU Fucking Kidding Me?

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-14, 18:03

The middle and lower class in this country are tapped out.  Food prices have been going up for a long time now, but they way the government calculates inflation is like it does unemployment numbers--they manipulate and spin.

For example, lets say this month a ribeye is 9 a pound and tbone is 10.  You decide you will spend 10 a pound on steak and get the tbone.  Next month, the ribeye is 10 a pound and tbone is 11. You pay 10 a pound again but this time you only get ribeye and not tbone. The government says nope isn't inflation--you paid the same amount for food even though we know that's not true.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-12-14, 18:08

tTito wrote:So I pop a Marie Callender's chicken pot pie in the micro for lunch. Never had one before. Nothing is inside but air, a few peas, a couple pieces of chicken. So fucking lame.

I haul a pound of 90 % lean ground beef out of the fridge to begin cooking dinner. Tacos. I look at the price tag, $6.49 per lb. Wife says it's all super expensive.

Next year I'm pulling small game, deer and fishing licenses and killing as many game animals as I can. Seriously pondering a garden.

Buy your own cow.

http://www.gallagherfarms.com/localmarket.php

Beef Pricing
¼ or ½ Black Angus or Holstein $
Whole Black Angus or Holstein $

http://www.gallagherfarms.com/media/beef/beef-pricing-info.pdf
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-12-14, 18:09

The_Dude wrote:The middle and lower class in this country are tapped out.  Food prices have been going up for a long time now, but they way the government calculates inflation is like it does unemployment numbers--they manipulate and spin.

For example, lets say this month a ribeye is 9 a pound and tbone is 10.  You decide you will spend 10 a pound on steak and get the tbone.  Next month, the ribeye is 10 a pound and tbone is 11.  You pay 10 a pound again but this time you only get ribeye and not tbone.  The government says nope isn't inflation--you paid the same amount for food even though we know that's not true.
Food Prices - RU Fucking Kidding Me? 700_imagine_no_liberals
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-12-14, 18:12

LooseGoose wrote:

Buy your own cow.

Is there a preferable time of year to buy beef, pork as far as quality and price?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum 2014-12-14, 18:16

tTito wrote:

Is there a preferable time of year to buy beef, pork as far as quality and price?

But hers can tell you. Get a big freezer and fill it. buying bulk is best if you have a good source.
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-12-14, 18:24

75alum wrote:

But hers can tell you. Get a big freezer and fill it. buying bulk is best if you have a good source.

Ok, butchers, is there a preferable time of year to buy beef, pork as far as quality and price?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-12-14, 18:25

tTito wrote:Is there a preferable time of year to buy beef, pork as far as quality and price?

Not really, once upon a time fall was the time but I don't think that's really true anymore.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-12-14, 18:31

Anybody holding their breath waiting for that corporate America price correction reflecting lower transportation cost on goods with gas dropping like a led balloon?

Yeah, me neither
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-12-14, 18:34

I've posted this link elsewhere and had people scoff at it, but I buy probably 80-90% of my meat at this little store. Literally a little hole in the wall old store but on busy days they'll have 8-10 people running hard behind the meat counter to keep up with orders. They do huge volumes so everything is pretty fresh. You select your whole loins, etc and they cut to order.

This week's ad for example of their prices:
NY Strips 3.99 Ribeyes 7.99 Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts 1.49
Lean Ground beef 3.59

No debit cards, no credit cards - cash or check only.

http://baycityshopping.mlive.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=1287150&adid=14819967&type=

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-12-14, 18:36

kingstonlake wrote:Anybody holding their breath waiting for that corporate America price correction reflecting lower transportation cost on goods with gas dropping like a led balloon?

Yeah, me neither

Hell no, they have the pedal to the metal. If they don't the get sued by stock holders. The point is, how to get around it?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-14, 18:38

kingstonlake wrote:Anybody holding their breath waiting for that corporate America price correction reflecting lower transportation cost on goods with gas dropping like a led balloon?

Yeah, me neither

Industrials should be a good investment sector
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-12-14, 18:39

LooseGoose wrote:I've posted this link elsewhere and had people scoff at it, but I buy probably 80-90% of my meat at this little store. Literally a little hole in the wall old store but on busy days they'll have 8-10 people running hard behind the meat counter to keep up with orders. They do huge volumes so everything is pretty fresh. You select your whole loins, etc and they cut to order.

Lean Ground beef 3.59

That's awesome. I wish we had a store like that here. Does anybody have strategies for fruit and veggies?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-12-14, 18:40

LooseGoose wrote:I've posted this link elsewhere and had people scoff at it, but I buy probably 80-90% of my meat at this little store. Literally a little hole in the wall old store but on busy days they'll have 8-10 people running hard behind the meat counter to keep up with orders. They do huge volumes so everything is pretty fresh. You select your whole loins, etc and they cut to order.

Lean Ground beef 3.59

Yeah, I'd go check it out but my new health insurance plan is costing me an extra $250/month.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-12-14, 18:47

LooseGoose wrote:I've posted this link elsewhere and had people scoff at it, but I buy probably 80-90% of my meat at this little store.   Literally a little hole in the wall old store but on busy days they'll have 8-10 people running hard behind the meat counter to keep up with orders. They do huge volumes so everything is pretty fresh.   You select your whole loins, etc and they cut to order.

NY Strips 3.99  Ribeyes 7.99  Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts 1.49  
Lean Ground beef 3.59  

Is that the place thats a grocery/hardware combo?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-14, 19:06

Is this a thread started by a conservative that's bitching about capitalism?

Pay your high prices, that's what you get for consolidated business.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-14, 19:10

InTenSity wrote:Is this a thread started by a conservative that's bitching about capitalism?

Shut up douche. People haven't gotten raises at work to offset prices. Stagnant economy for the past several years is the issue.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-14, 19:16

The_Dude wrote:

Shut up douche. People haven't gotten raises at work to offset prices. Stagnant economy for the past several years is the issue.

That's conservative policies paying off. Only 15% capital gains tax. Get a salary of 250k, no raises, so you can hold that over all the peon's, then cash out 1 mil in stocks. Pfft, conservative policy paying off the man, if you don't like it, go fuck yourself.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-12-14, 19:17

The_Dude wrote:

Swing and a miss
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-12-14, 19:18

InTenSity wrote:Is this a thread started by a conservative that's bitching about capitalism?

Another thread needlessly turning political
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-14, 19:24

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Another thread needlessly turning political

I thought that was a given as soon as tDude and tTito posted in a thread. Can you point out what point I made that was incorrect though, and I didn't make it political.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-12-14, 19:37

Bulk beef and pork.....Check.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are where we're really getting nailed.

Garden is at the forefront. Does anyone can vegetables? I'm vaguely familiar with canning veggies in Mason jars. I haven't done anything like that in forever though, my grandparents used to do it.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-14, 19:50

In short, inflation. Wink
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-12-14, 19:54

The_Dude wrote:In short, inflation. Wink

Yes, what are you doing about it? Pleas add substance...... or not.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-14, 20:00

tTito wrote:So I pop a Marie Callender's chicken pot pie in the micro for lunch. Never had one before. Nothing is inside but air, a few peas, a couple pieces of chicken. So fucking lame.

Ground beef 75% was 4.99/lb at Publix today.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-12-14, 20:09

When gas prices were soaring to new heights the price of groceries hitched a ride. Now that gas prices are hitting five year lows I'm waiting for my grocery bills to drop.

Just kidding #NotHoldingMyBreath
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-12-14, 20:13

Chart from last year

Food Prices - RU Fucking Kidding Me? Food_c10

Curiously, energy prices were not included as a line item.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-12-14, 20:26

NigelUno wrote:

Ground beef 75% was 4.99/lb at Publix today.

That's a good deal for 25% lard. How did it taste?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-12-14, 20:31

kingstonlake wrote:

Is that the place thats a grocery/hardware combo?

Nope, just a little old grocery store that's about 50% meat market.

Some pictures here:

https://www.facebook.com/ValleyFoodCenter?rf=147349535283618

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-12-14, 20:33

Floyd Robertson wrote:When gas prices were soaring to new heights the price of groceries hitched a ride. Now that gas prices are hitting five year lows I'm waiting for my grocery bills to drop.

Just kidding #NotHoldingMyBreath

They lag since the growing cycle is longer, farmers won't see the savings until next harvest.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rod Porkmore 2014-12-14, 20:43

I bought an 8 pack of Koegels today and they cost $4.09. Two years ago they would have cost $2.79. It's horseshit.
Rod Porkmore
Rod Porkmore
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-14, 20:46

LooseGoose wrote:

They lag since the growing cycle is longer, farmers won't see the savings until next harvest.

Beef will be longer. A few years ago something happened to the herd, prices were either dirt cheap or very high, either way many ranches got rid of their herds.

Produce: You're ****ed. The retailers have contracts, they have already been cheap this whole time, they just refuse to pass the savings to the consumer.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2014-12-14, 20:52

I'm not a vegetarian... but meat's overrated, overpriced, and mostly not good for you.

Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-12-14, 20:55

Start eating liver and other organ meats
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2014-12-14, 20:55

Not just meat, you seen the price of eggs and milk lately?
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-14, 20:57

beal99 wrote:Not just meat, you seen the price of eggs and milk lately?

Just cuz a sixer of 2 hearted is cheaper, doesn't mean shit.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-12-14, 21:00

beal99 wrote:Not just meat, you seen the price of eggs and milk lately?

2 years ago i started the GOMAD diet when i saw milk for 84 cents a gallon at Aldi

2 bucks more expensive now
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers 2014-12-14, 21:07

LooseGoose wrote:

Buy your own cow.

After paying for processing, it says the beef averages $5.75 per pound. That isn't a good deal at all, considering that some of that meat will be in a freezer for a year before you eat it. I'd rather just buy fresh beef from a butcher as needed.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-12-14, 21:11

tTito wrote:

That's a good deal for 25% lard. How did it taste?
Lard is pork fat. Beef fat is tallow
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next