Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'His guys' — MSU coach Dantonio loyal to former players

+2
Turtleneck
CORNER BLITZ
6 posters

Go down

'His guys' — MSU coach Dantonio loyal to former players Empty 'His guys' — MSU coach Dantonio loyal to former players

Post by CORNER BLITZ Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 14:48

Bunch of past players are sharing this article

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/2014/12/20/msu-dantonio-loyalty/20646055/
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

'His guys' — MSU coach Dantonio loyal to former players Empty Re: 'His guys' — MSU coach Dantonio loyal to former players

Post by Turtleneck Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 14:54

So is Harbaugh.

Hear that? Harbaugh!

Do you know what that means? HARBAUGH!!!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

'His guys' — MSU coach Dantonio loyal to former players Empty Re: 'His guys' — MSU coach Dantonio loyal to former players

Post by Guest Wed 20 May 2015 - 11:26

Mark Dantonio was on SiriusXM College Sports Nation on Tuesday afternoon and was asked about “the Michigan State experience.”

If he was to sell what it means to play in his program, where does it start? It had nothing to do with winning. Nothing to do with playing in the NFL. Instead, it was about the relationships, and not just with teammates.

“Hopefully, when you come out of here, you’ve got relationships with your coaches for the rest of your life,” he said. “That’s very, very important, especially in this day and age. In society, you need to point to some person and say, ‘I can call that guy, reach back and touch people that had a significant impact on my life.’ That’s No. 1. That takes a certain amount of commitment to the player, trust and communication.

Mark Dantonio: The No. 1 thing we sell is lifelong relationships with coaches
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Wed 20 May 2015 - 11:34

A friend of mine down in Cincinnati is pretty close with Greg Jones' family. He tells me that Coach D regularly checks in on Greg, whether it's calling/texting his dad or getting in contact with Greg Jones himself. 

Coach D is really great about caring for his players.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu 21 May 2015 - 15:00

HT wrote:A friend of mine down in Cincinnati is pretty close with Greg Jones' family. He tells me that Coach D regularly checks in on Greg, whether it's calling/texting his dad or getting in contact with Greg Jones himself. 

What about the guys we don't hear about? The ones who only play in the 4th quarter of the first game because they are buried on the depth chart? I always wondered if the castaways are cared about as much as those that contribute significantly.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 21 May 2015 - 15:04

InTenSity wrote:
HT wrote:A friend of mine down in Cincinnati is pretty close with Greg Jones' family. He tells me that Coach D regularly checks in on Greg, whether it's calling/texting his dad or getting in contact with Greg Jones himself. 

What about the guys we don't hear about? The ones who only play in the 4th quarter of the first game because they are buried on the depth chart? I always wondered if the castaways are cared about as much as those that contribute significantly.
I care about them all equally..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu 21 May 2015 - 15:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
I care about them all equally..

We know Bob. It's like a love/hate relationship.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 21 May 2015 - 15:25

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I care about them all equally..

We know Bob. It's like a love/hate relationship.
'His guys' — MSU coach Dantonio loyal to former players 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Thu 21 May 2015 - 16:33

InTenSity wrote:

I don't know. The only athletes I've heard a lot of stories about are the guys we've pulled from the Cincinnati area, and they've all been pretty decent contributors for the most part (Rush, Jones, Celek, etc.).

I wish I knew...but I would probably give Coach D the benefit of the doubt. Seems like he did good by some players that weren't huge names in that article.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Thu 21 May 2015 - 16:35

InTenSity wrote:

One of the guys that shared the original post isn't as well known. Played on special teams and didn't have a scholarship
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu 21 May 2015 - 16:48

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

One of the guys that shared the original post isn't as well known. Played on special teams and didn't have a scholarship
I just came up with a novel idea. I'll read the article first and then comment...on second thought I don't think I've ever done that.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Thu 21 May 2015 - 23:34

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

I was just sharing a story I know. Apparently Coach D has been really good to the Celek family as well. I believe Garrett Celek turned down scholarship offers at other D1 schools because his family loved Coach D so much (Brent played for him at Cincy). I forget what exactly happened, but apparently that whole family is pretty close with Coach D now.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 May 2015 - 8:01

The loyalty runs deep and wide - players and coaches.

EAST LANSING — Michigan State director of football operations Tim Allen goes way back with coach Mark Dantonio, when the two were at Kansas along with Spartans co-offensive coordinator Dave Warner.

Dantonio, Allen said, hasn't changed much since he joined he and Warner on then-coach Glen Mason's staff with the Jayhawks.

The same things that made Dantonio a great secondary coach then have made him a successful head coach now, and the same could be said for Warner.

"What separates Mark Dantonio in this profession that make him special, number one, he is the most genuine, caring person I've worked with in this profession, and so is his wife, Becky,'' Allen said on 'The Griff and Grinz Show' on Lansing's 92.1 FM, The Team. "Number two he's very creative, he's a very smart man, he knows what direction he wants to go and every day he pushes that forward.

Tim Allen, MSU's director of football, saw greatness in Mark Dantonio and Dave Warner at Kansas
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Sun 24 May 2015 - 17:56

InTenSity wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

I just came up with a novel idea. I'll read the article first and then comment...on second thought I don't think I've ever done that.

It's an idea:

"When a guy is DQed — medically disqualified — I ask them to continue to be a part of our program, and I don't allow them to stray off and just be a student and not have any interaction with our football team," Dantonio said. "I want them to feel of value. I don't want them to lose their value as a player in our program. So I've asked them to be involved — whether it's recruiting as a student-assistant or on-the-field coaching as a student-assistant or in the weight room or doing something. I just think that's important for their self‑worth."

God bless Coach D.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down