Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

State of the program: Michigan State Spartans

+6
Other Teams Pursuing That
HT
InTenSity
Code_Warrior
Floyd Robertson
Turtleneck
10 posters

Go down

State of the program: Michigan State Spartans Empty State of the program: Michigan State Spartans

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-18, 17:27

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bigten&id=115918&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%22%7D
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

State of the program: Michigan State Spartans Empty Re: State of the program: Michigan State Spartans

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-02-18, 18:46

I'm not worried.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

State of the program: Michigan State Spartans Empty Re: State of the program: Michigan State Spartans

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-18, 19:01

What about the part where he says Hollis is scrapping football because Harbaugh?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-02-18, 19:56

Turtleneck wrote:What about the part where he says Hollis is scrapping football because Harbaugh?

At least we have basketball
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-02-18, 20:08

State of the program: Michigan State Spartans 1550444538 We're only a fine line away from 7 win seasons! State of the program: Michigan State Spartans 1550444538 Scrap the program! State of the program: Michigan State Spartans 1550444538
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-18, 20:10

Floyd Robertson wrote:

At least we have basketball

From what I saw last night, Harbaugh is coaching basketball too.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-02-18, 21:45

Pretty sure Mitch came from an osu blog before espn.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-02-19, 08:49

Code_Warrior wrote:State of the program: Michigan State Spartans 1550444538 We're only a fine line away from 7 win seasons! State of the program: Michigan State Spartans 1550444538 Scrap the program! State of the program: Michigan State Spartans 1550444538

He's not entirely wrong, you know. Look at 2012. How many of us thought that would be the year we win the B1G and thought our program wasn't going to have a dip? Shit happens, and can happen to us.

I think we could easily be at 7-win seasons again, but you know, I think that potential exists for every school not named Ohio State, Alabama, Florida State, or USC (and Texas should be in this group, but they keep shooting themselves in the foot). It's no big deal to say that it is a fine line, because it's not entirely inaccurate.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-02-19, 09:39

Does anyone deny that most of us could have wrote that, just as well, or better? How much do these dweebs make anyway?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-02-19, 09:48

A "fine line?". How about a collaspe of epic proportions. Sorry but with cook and the d line back, I'm not buying it
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-02-19, 09:57

Blanch32 wrote:A "fine line?". How about a collaspe of epic proportions. Sorry but with cook and the d line back, I'm not buying it

That line pissed me off. An injury or two at key positions? So like if our QB got hurt? No shit asswipe, Fuck this article guys.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-19, 09:59

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

That line pissed me off. An injury or two at key positions? So like if our QB got hurt? No shit asswipe, Fuck this article guys.

Mods should ban the jerk that posted it.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-02-19, 10:03

Turtleneck wrote:

Mods should ban the jerk that posted it.

State of the program: Michigan State Spartans 502811600 no ill will here, got the discussion goin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-02-19, 10:20

That guy should write for us. MSU might be good next year, but if they lose their best players they might be mediocre. Blanch level analysis.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-02-19, 11:37

SpartanHT wrote:

He's not entirely wrong, you know. Look at 2012. How many of us thought that would be the year we win the B1G and thought our program wasn't going to have a dip? Shit happens, and can happen to us.

I think we could easily be at 7-win seasons again, but you know, I think that potential exists for every school not named Ohio State, Alabama, Florida State, or USC (and Texas should be in this group, but they keep shooting themselves in the foot). It's no big deal to say that it is a fine line, because it's not entirely inaccurate.
I took his line to imply that we're a fine line from going back to perennial 7 win seasons now that OSU has stepped back up and SCum has Harbaugh. Any program can have the occasional 7 win season if they get unkucky with injuries or bad breaks. 2012 was all on Roushar and Maxwell, though I give most of the blame to Roushar. I think Maxwell got a fair chance to show his stuff, I'm just not sure if Roushar f'd up Maxwell mentally, or if Maxwell just couldn't handle the speed of the game. Regardless, Roushar's play calling was bad enough to make it tough for Cousins as well, but I think Cousins was mentally tougher than Maxwell and was able to generate just enough O for the D get us the wins whereas Maxwell wasn't able to overcome Roushar.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-02-19, 12:36

Don't for get the o line and WRs cousins had as well
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-02-19, 13:20

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Does anyone deny that most of us could have wrote that, just as well, or better? How much do these dweebs make anyway?

Well, I don't think you would be among those that "could have wrote" better than that. Subject verb agreement, ya dingus
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-19, 13:22

Ass Dan wrote:

Well, I don't think you would be among those that "could have wrote" better than that. Subject verb agreement, ya dingus

Well, we know who went to UM in this room.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-02-19, 13:50

Ass Dan wrote:

The michigan difference^
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-02-19, 17:14

Code_Warrior wrote:
I took his line to imply that we're a fine line from going back to perennial 7 win seasons now that OSU has stepped back up and SCum has Harbaugh.  Any program can have the occasional 7 win season if they get unkucky with injuries or bad breaks.  2012 was all on Roushar and Maxwell, though I give most of the blame to Roushar.  I think Maxwell got a fair chance to show his stuff, I'm just not sure if Roushar f'd up Maxwell mentally, or if Maxwell just couldn't handle the speed of the game.  Regardless, Roushar's play calling was bad enough to make it tough for Cousins as well, but I think Cousins was mentally tougher than Maxwell and was able to generate just enough O for the D get us the wins whereas Maxwell wasn't able to overcome Roushar.

I think it was a combination of both a terrible OC and bad QB. The 2011 offense underachieved, when you consider the talent we had that year (how many skill players are on NFL rosters now?), and I think with the Warner/Bollman tandem we win one more game and end up in the Sugar Bowl instead of Michigan. Maxwell wasn't good enough to overcome Roushar, but he didn't do himself any favors, either.

I don't think we'll see that issue again during Dantonio's tenure, or one more time at the very most. I want to see how the program transitions to post-Dantonio before making any "State of the Program" claims with us.

But, there is a narrative that'll be pushed on us until we win with UM and OSU being good, so until we do (we do seem to be bad for business, after all), there will always be this idea that we're only benefiting from their failures. I do think it's easy for any program not named OSU, FSU, USC, Bama or Texas (combination of local talent and facilities relative to the conference) to have similar kind of worries, though.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-02-19, 18:37

SpartanHT wrote: I want to see how the program transitions to post-Dantonio before making any "State of the Program" claims with us.

I don't want to even think about this for 5-10 years.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-02-19, 18:47

F*ck narratives. We are making our own story
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down