Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First wood bison head for release in southwest Alaska

5 posters

Go down

First wood bison head for release in southwest Alaska Empty First wood bison head for release in southwest Alaska

Post by Green Note Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:06 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/pets/sns-bc-ak--wood-bison-restoration-20150322-story.html?dom=fas&loc=contentwell&lnk=associated-press

First wood bison head for release in southwest Alaska 750x422

Very cool

http://phys.org/news/2015-03-wooly-mammoth.html#ajTabs

First wood bison head for release in southwest Alaska Woolymammoth

Next up Wooly Mammoths?
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

First wood bison head for release in southwest Alaska Empty Re: First wood bison head for release in southwest Alaska

Post by Rocinante Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:18 pm

I know you're kidding, but the amount of primary production required to sustain a mammoth is not present in a modern day tundra. The closest habitat that we currently have to what they probably thrived in are mountains in semitropical regions. The amount of rapidly growing palatable vegetation needed would be substantial. The climate wouldn't allow us to restore them to anything resembling their natural habitat. So probably not. I do wonder if somebody wont try to implant mammoth DNA in an elephant egg and bring it to term soon though.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

First wood bison head for release in southwest Alaska Empty Re: First wood bison head for release in southwest Alaska

Post by Green Note Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Rocinante wrote:I know you're kidding, but the amount of primary production required to sustain a mammoth is not present in a modern day tundra. The closest habitat that we currently have to what they probably thrived in are mountains in semitropical regions. The amount of rapidly growing palatable vegetation needed would be substantial. The climate wouldn't allow us to restore them to anything resembling their natural habitat. So probably not. I do wonder if somebody wont try to implant mammoth DNA in an elephant egg and bring it to term soon though.

That DNA question is answered at the link provided.
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:22 pm

Sorry didn't see the second link. I knew about that research.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Can I hunt them yet?
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:25 pm

Rocinante wrote: do wonder if somebody wont try to implant mammoth DNA in an elephant egg and bring it to term soon though.

I'm going to implant mammoth DNA into a condor's egg. It probably won't work, but if it does, it's going to be really fucking cool.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Note Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:33 pm

[quote="Rocinante"]I know you're kidding, but the amount of primary production required to sustain a mammoth is not present in a modern day tundra. The closest habitat that we currently have to what they probably thrived in are mountains in semitropical regions. The amount of rapidly growing palatable vegetation needed would be substantial. The climate wouldn't allow us to restore them to anything resembling their natural habitat. So probably not. I do wonder if somebody wont try to implant mammoth DNA in an elephant egg and bring it to term soon though.[/quote

Is it a certainty that they would not adapt? The article also suggests prioritizing DNA for traits.
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:36 pm

What could possibly go wrong when we start bringing ancient species back to life?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Note Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:What could possibly go wrong when we start bringing ancient species back to life?
First wood bison head for release in southwest Alaska <a href=First wood bison head for release in southwest Alaska Hw13" />
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:45 pm

Green Note wrote:

Is it a certainty that they would not adapt? The article also suggests prioritizing DNA for traits.

It's just a question of physiological needs for survival. The modern tundra does not produce enough accessible carbon to sustain a mammoth. Could one find stuff to eat? Maybe, but not enough. They wouldn't have the physical tools to exploit the food that was there. A trunk is for grasping large things, not eating low, sparse grasses.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down