Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I fix holes in my concrete driveway myself?

+5
Motown Spartan
GRR Spartan
Snake Plissken
The Pantry
Herbie Green
9 posters

Go down

Can I fix holes in my concrete driveway myself? Empty Can I fix holes in my concrete driveway myself?

Post by Herbie Green Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:35 pm

I am talking beyond some minor cracks. The worst spot is about 3×3 feet section that is completely sunk and cracked into pieces.
My quick research quickly ruled out the cost of a new driveway and likely even replacing the worst sections. I mostly just want to level it off enough to prevent broken ankles on the hoop court.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Can I fix holes in my concrete driveway myself? Empty Re: Can I fix holes in my concrete driveway myself?

Post by Guest Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:47 pm

It won't last but you could certainly slop some Quikrete over it. Another possibility depending on how important aesthetics are would be a 50 gallon barrel of asphalt patch, that would last somewhat longer.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Can I fix holes in my concrete driveway myself? Empty Re: Can I fix holes in my concrete driveway myself?

Post by The Pantry Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:54 pm

A patch can last if you do it right but it's better/cheaper in the long run to just replace the entire section.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:17 pm

It's cracked and sunk for a reason. You need to dig up the concrete and fix what's under it or the patch will just fail.
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:35 pm

Best way is to break up the damaged section with a sledge, haul it out, build a 2x4 frame and pour new. You can buy the gravel and mesh from a big box and rent a float to finish.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:39 pm

The Pantry wrote:A patch can last if you do it right but it's better/cheaper in the long run to just replace the entire section.

Wouldn't that be kind of lame if I replaced worst 2 sections but the remaining 80% still looked like shit? Do people do it that way?
I look at it and at that point I might as well do the whole thing which is about 120 feet long and full of "minor" cracks and a 25% asphalt section that is crap and then a sunken section on two walkways. Then I might as well add an expansion section to make a sweet hoop court - and I am out 20k for something that doesn't really affect my life that much.
...I am leaning more towards a temporary fix if it lasted two years and was an improvement in safety, hoops and skateboarding.
I am not adverse to work but my skills are limited.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Snake Plissken wrote:It's cracked and sunk for a reason. You need to dig up the concrete and fix what's under it or the patch will just fail.
Good point. Would help to know the approximate age of the driveway also.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:50 pm

Herbie Green wrote:
The Pantry wrote:A patch can last if you do it right but it's better/cheaper in the long run to just replace the entire section.

Wouldn't that be kind of lame if I replaced worst 2 sections but the remaining 80% still looked like shit? Do people do it that way?
I look at it and at that point I might as well do the whole thing which is about 120 feet long and full of "minor" cracks and a 25% asphalt section that is crap and then a sunken section on two walkways. Then I might as well add an expansion section to make a sweet hoop court - and I am out 20k for something that doesn't really affect my life that much.
...I am leaning more towards a temporary fix if it lasted two years and was an improvement in safety, hoops and skateboarding.
I am not adverse to work but my skills are limited.
Do you have any plans to move in the next few years? If not, replace the entire thing.

You don't need any skills beyond finding a quality contractor that wants to do the job without sticking it up your poop chute.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:54 pm

The Pantry wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:It's cracked and sunk for a reason. You need to dig up the concrete and fix what's under it or the patch will just fail.
Good point. Would help to know the approximate age of the driveway also.

Don't know but it could be 30+ years. I am thinking it was done well overall originally.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:51 am

Pics of your wife's tits and the damaged area would be helpful.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:10 am

new concrete doesn't stick to old concrete. You could rent a concrete saw, cut out the effected pieces, rent a drill to put some dowels in the remaining slab, and pour a "bridge" between the two. That would at least give you an even surface with no trips.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:41 pm

Remove and Redo the entire slab (expansion joint to expansion joint) or don't do anything IMO. No need to drill rebar into the surrounding pieces each slab shifts on its own. Add a piece of wire mesh in if you want. The new piece will look lighter when installed and fully cured but will weather over one year and blend in. Good luck.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Park the Lambo over it and pretend it's not there.
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:23 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:Pics of your wife's damaged area would be helpful.

Huh?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down