Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"EL sucks"

+14
Jake from State Farm
WhiteBoyHatcher
Chief Sparty
Ass Dan
Rocinante
Giant Moose
Travis of the Cosmos
Les Grossman
CORNER BLITZ
Robert J Sakimano
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
The Pantry
Blanch32
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"EL sucks" - Page 2 Empty Re: "EL sucks"

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-21, 19:52

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:Sure, MSU is East Lansing but even Lansing should be better than it is. You'd think a capital city would have more going on.

It probably would be if everyone that worked there didn't leave town at 5:00 every day. There's really nothing there to keep anyone interested in sticking around.

Madison, Columbus, Austin etc seems to have figured it out....
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-21, 19:53

steveschneider wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

You too, ever been there?? Apparently I'm the only one who's lived more than 25 from mid Michigan

Unfortunately yes. I think Ann Arbor sucks. I like Ypsilanti better.

Apparently you somehow missed main st and like gun fire
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-04-21, 22:05

Ass Dan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

So could Ann Arbor.

False. AA is a special type of shithole.

I don't really understand why you went to UM if you're a huge MSU fan, but it's too bad that you didn't get to enjoy it there like I did. I fucking loved Ann Arbor.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-21, 22:07

y2kMgrad wrote:
Ass Dan wrote:

I don't really understand why you went to UM if you're a huge MSU fan, but it's too bad that you didn't get to enjoy it there like I did. I fucking loved Ann Arbor.

I bet you creeped the shit out of south U. Swollen hard at ricks
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-04-21, 22:14

Blanch32 wrote:
y2kMgrad wrote:

Rick's was the bar you'd end up at after going to parties all night. It was a dump but it was fun.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-04-21, 22:19

Btw I really enjoyed my time in EL too during law school. Burgerama, Crunchy's and Peanut Barrel are all full of win.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-21, 22:37

y2kMgrad wrote:
Ass Dan wrote:

I have to agree with this, why go to a school you hate?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-04-21, 22:42

Blanch32 wrote:
The Pantry wrote:That's complete bullshit I'm tired of hearing when it's so easy to switch to desktop mode

Cutting and pasting is fucking impossible on mobile regardless of site.

Your phone sucks.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-22, 07:43

y2kMgrad wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Rick's was the bar you'd end up at after going to parties all night. It was a dump but it was fun.

Uhhghg.....there was always a line to get into ricks and you dorks studied until midnight, so was your typical Friday night, hit up house party at midnight, get shot down, hit up ricks at 1 and close it down..... Aa isn't Chicago my dear
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-22, 07:44

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Getting a new one next month!!

Cutting and pasting is fucking impossible on mobile regardless of site.

Your phone sucks.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-22, 08:23

EL was a great place to be a college student in, and I have no problem with the place, but it is a little bland compared to places like Madison, Ann Arbor, and Columbus. When I was in Ithaca last weekend, I kind of thought that it was a really great college town and that EL might have been missing out a bit.

I'd like a few more unique bars, and some cool things going on that aren't MSU-related, but EL is a pretty good college town for when you're a student. I don't really know how much the town itself impacts your collegiate experience. I feel like everywhere, kids are going to bars or house parties on weekends, and hanging out/studying during the week. EL gets the job done in that aspect and does it well.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-22, 08:34

I don't get all the love for Madison, have a friend move there for a job from the west coast. He's anxious to get the f outta there.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-22, 08:51

steveschneider wrote:I don't get all the love for Madison, have a friend move there for a job from the west coast. He's anxious to get the f outta there.

It's nice, and it is a little nicer than EL, but I do think it's one of those places that is more hype than really being truly great (like SF, or Denver). You just hear about how great it is, and it seems like everyone goes with this notion of it being amazing, because other people say it's great and they don't want to be labeled as lame or a rube.

The one thing that Madison has that I wish EL had is having a bar in the student union (and the lakes, there's something cool about a college being on a lake). I think it's pretty badass that you can grab a pint on campus.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-04-22, 08:56

Is there a bar at Kellogg?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-22, 09:38

The Pantry wrote:Is there a bar at Kellogg?

I don't know. Maybe? I don't think it's the same as grabbing a beer at the union, though.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-22, 11:49

HT wrote:EL was a great place to be a college student in, and I have no problem with the place, but it is a little bland compared to places like Madison, Ann Arbor, and Columbus. When I was in Ithaca last weekend, I kind of thought that it was a really great college town and that EL might have been missing out a bit.

I'd like a few more unique bars, and some cool things going on that aren't MSU-related, but EL is a pretty good college town for when you're a student. I don't really know how much the town itself impacts your collegiate experience. I feel like everywhere, kids are going to bars or house parties on weekends, and hanging out/studying during the week. EL gets the job done in that aspect and does it well.

Ithaca is solid. Much better than EL. Tons of nerds tho but no fear about police harrassment
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-22, 11:49

steveschneider wrote:I don't get all the love for Madison, have a friend move there for a job from the west coast. He's anxious to get the f outta there.

He broke the rule: never move east or north
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-22, 12:26

Blanch32 wrote:
HT wrote:EL was a great place to be a college student in, and I have no problem with the place, but it is a little bland compared to places like Madison, Ann Arbor, and Columbus. When I was in Ithaca last weekend, I kind of thought that it was a really great college town and that EL might have been missing out a bit.

Ithaca is solid.  Much better than EL.  Tons of nerds tho but no fear about police harrassment

I love Ithaca. Right on Cayuga Lake, tons of bars and cool shops and theatres, and there's good wineries and breweries in the area. The area around Cornell wasn't that much different than the area near MSU (probably better at MSU since there's more bars near campus), but otherwise I'd say it's better than EL.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-04-22, 12:59

Classic college towns are East Lansing, State college, Bloomington, Iowa City, West Laffy, Ann Arbor, and Urbana Chmapaign in the Big Ten.

Iowa City, State college, Bloomington and Ann Arbor are all better than EL.

Madison is a great city but it's not classic college town. Columbus and Minneapolis are just huge cities with colleges in it although Columbus is OSU obsessed.

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-22, 13:46

of the traditional college towns I've been to:

East Lansing - lived her for 20+ years.. it's fine. Nothing to complain about really. I do wish there was a better food scene and music scene.

Ann Arbor - great town - great restaurants, music venues.. good vibe, a lot of foot traffic. I like how the town and university blend together

Chapel Hill - a great, great town. Absolutely beautiful. A little pretentious and too southern for me, though.

Ithaca - cool vibe with good restaurants. Very walkable with a lot of folks using public transit or bike/foot traffic. I think it's a very educated community too - not odd for a college town, but it seemed a little moreso than others. In the running for Little Miss Sak to go to school (sorry For bin)

Madison - liked it, good vibe - I enjoyed how the university blends with the capitol area. More of a quintessential feel, I guess.

Austin - great town with most everything you could ask for in a college town.  A little played out, though. It's almost become a caricature of itself.. think "Portlandia in miserable heat in the summer with a southern drawl"

Athens (OH) - pretty town in a picturesque setting.

Charlottesville - beautiful town and one of the prettiest campuses in the country. Again, like Chapel Hill, a little too "old South" feel to it for my tastes.

Clemson - been there quite a few times - not much to see. A lot of orange.

Athens (GA) - only vaguely familiar with it, as I spent a few hours there once about 20 years ago. But I do remember liking it and it's got a great music scene.

I've spent a ton of time at Duke (Durham - not a college town and a huge disconnect with Duke - who cheats at basketball, by the way), University of Tennessee (Knoxville is a decent enough city and you can drive about 45 minutes and be in the mountains. A little too football crazy.. and lots of orange). Never been to Tuscaloosa but would like to go. People seem to like Oxford, Mississippi but, from what I saw on ESPN Gameday, I would run.. FAST.. in the other direction from that place.

been to plenty of other towns/cities with colleges - but these are the ones that sort of stick out in my mind.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-04-22, 21:35

Blanch32 wrote:
y2kMgrad wrote:

Uhhghg.....there was always a line to get into ricks and you dorks studied until midnight, so was your typical Friday night, hit up house party at midnight, get shot down, hit up ricks at 1 and close it down..... Aa isn't Chicago my dear

"EL sucks" - Page 2 502811600 Nobody I knew studied on Friday nights. We did plenty of partying at UM. I lived on Linden and you could find a party on my street almost every night of the week (except Sundays). The stereotype that all UM students do is study is as false as the one that all MSU students riot. And yeah, we'd hit up Rick's after a night at house parties. It was never a place we'd go to spend the whole night.

Also I never said AA was Chicago, not sure where you got that from.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-22, 21:39

y2kMgrad wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

"EL sucks" - Page 2 502811600 Nobody I knew studied on Friday nights. We did plenty of partying at UM. I lived on Linden and you could find a party on my street almost every night of the week (except Sundays). The stereotype that all UM students do is study is as false as the one that all MSU students riot. And yeah, we'd hit up Rick's after a night at house parties. It was never a place we'd go to spend the whole night.

You realize i lived on Vaughn for a year, right? The only parties were welcome long weekend and over the summer strangely enough. Very pathetic
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-04-22, 21:41

Blanch32 wrote:
y2kMgrad wrote:

You realize i lived on Vaughn for a year, right? The only parties were welcome long weekend and over the summer strangely enough. Very pathetic

You lived in AA for a year and couldn't find house parties?
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-04-22, 22:03

y2kMgrad wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

You lived in AA for a year and couldn't find house parties?

95% of his stories are make believe. So there's that.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-22, 22:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:of the traditional college towns I've been to:

East Lansing - lived her for 20+ years.. it's fine. Nothing to complain about really. I do wish there was a better food scene and music scene.

Ann Arbor - great town - great restaurants, music venues.. good vibe, a lot of foot traffic. I like how the town and university blend together

Chapel Hill - a great, great town. Absolutely beautiful. A little pretentious and too southern for me, though.

Ithaca - cool vibe with good restaurants. Very walkable with a lot of folks using public transit or bike/foot traffic. I think it's a very educated community too - not odd for a college town, but it seemed a little moreso than others. In the running for Little Miss Sak to go to school (sorry For bin)

Madison - liked it, good vibe - I enjoyed how the university blends with the capitol area. More of a quintessential feel, I guess.

Austin - great town with most everything you could ask for in a college town.  A little played out, though. It's almost become a caricature of itself.. think "Portlandia in miserable heat in the summer with a southern drawl"

Charlottesville - beautiful town and one of the prettiest campuses in the country. Again, like Chapel Hill, a little too "old South" feel to it for my tastes.

Athens (GA) - only vaguely familiar with it, as I spent a few hours there once about 20 years ago. But I do remember liking it and it's got a great music scene.

I've spent a ton of time at Duke (Durham - not a college town and a huge disconnect with Duke - who cheats at basketball, by the way), University of Tennessee (Knoxville is a decent enough city and you can drive about 45 minutes and be in the mountains. A little too football crazy.. and lots of orange). Never been to Tuscaloosa but would like to go. People seem to like Oxford, Mississippi but, from what I saw on ESPN Gameday, I would run.. FAST.. in the other direction from that place.

been to plenty of other towns/cities with colleges - but these are the ones that sort of stick out in my mind.

I've been to Oxford, not a fan of that place at all. Go there check out the Faulkner stuff and gtfo fast.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-04-23, 00:04

I will back blanch. We spent a lot of time in AA my freshman year at MSU (fall '95 - I know, I was doing it wrong). Street parties were nowhere to be found. It was NOTHING like EL at that time (before the gestapo moved in). Jesus you could walk down any N-S street between Harrison and Hagadorn at that time and wander into at minimum 2-3 house parties on every street.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-23, 00:09

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I will back blanch. We spent a lot of time in AA my freshman year at MSU (fall '95 - I know, I was doing it wrong). Street parties were nowhere to be found. It was NOTHING like EL at that time (before the gestapo moved in). Jesus you could walk down any N-S street between Harrison and Hagadorn at that time and wander into at minimum 2-3 house parties on every street.

I used to party with UofM students in EL, they'd come down for the action. I don't even remember what street it was but we could hear the sound of balloons getting filled up in one house and we headed in for some nitrous. Holy shit what a wild night that was. People were going bonkers on that stuff and I remember laughing out into the universe. I never did that drug again after that night, but it was a ton of fun.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-23, 14:01

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:of the traditional college towns I've been to:

I've been to Oxford, not a fan of that place at all. Go there check out the Faulkner stuff and gtfo fast.
yeah... I grew up in the south and have plenty of family that lives down there. I don't find the "romanticism" of it charming at all.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-23, 14:09

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I will back blanch. We spent a lot of time in AA my freshman year at MSU (fall '95 - I know, I was doing it wrong). Street parties were nowhere to be found. It was NOTHING like EL at that time (before the gestapo moved in). Jesus you could walk down any N-S street between Harrison and Hagadorn at that time and wander into at minimum 2-3 house parties on every street.

AA was the same in 2007 too. Easily the worst neighborhood I've lived in since turning 18. Uofm students are quite literally, the worst. Cool people are the clear exception there...
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-23, 14:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

yeah... I grew up in the south and have plenty of family that lives down there. I don't find the "romanticism" of it charming at all.

What I would give to wait Bob interact with his southern family and friends. Lol
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-23, 14:23

Blanch32 wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

What I would give to wait Bob interact with his southern family and friends. Lol
"EL sucks" - Page 2 502811600

I was down that way around the Easter holiday.. let me just say it was an interesting experience. "EL sucks" - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-23, 14:25

Blanch32 wrote:What I would give to wait Bob interact with his southern family and friends. Lol
Imagine Bob's disappointment when they asked him to go for a bike ride and they showed up in Harleys while Bob was rockin' a 10-speed vintage Bianchi bicycle.

"EL sucks" - Page 2 Mark-bianchi-01

Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-23, 14:26

Blanch32 wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I imagine it would be like if Bob actually responded to LWS.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-23, 14:37

Giant Moose wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:What I would give to wait Bob interact with his southern family and friends. Lol
Imagine Bob's disappointment when they asked him to go for a bike ride and they showed up in Harleys while Bob was rockin' a 10-speed vintage Bianchi bicycle.

"EL sucks" - Page 2 Mark-bianchi-01

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-23, 14:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

I was down that way around the Easter holiday.. let me just say it was an interesting experience. "EL sucks" - Page 2 502811600

I but they loved your take on the trevon Martin incident and your love of gay marriage
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2