Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is it cool to be just a playoff fan?

+12
DWags
SpartanInNH
Marc Summers
InTenSity
MiamiSpartan
Giant Moose
NigelUno
kingstonlake
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
Blanch32
16 posters

Go down

is it cool to be just a playoff fan? Empty is it cool to be just a playoff fan?

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-23, 12:52

Never watch a single Detroit pro team reg season outside of t giving day, but catch every playoff game. Does that make me a bad fan?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

is it cool to be just a playoff fan? Empty Re: is it cool to be just a playoff fan?

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-23, 13:01

Nope, the regular season is so diluted there's often no point.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

is it cool to be just a playoff fan? Empty Re: is it cool to be just a playoff fan?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-23, 13:02

Yes, it does make us bad fans but whoever cares enough about my fanhood can fuck off. Isn't the pro reg season pretty watered down? College > pro
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-04-23, 13:10

Not at all. Since its hockey playoff time, I assume that's what you're getting at... The regular season is way way too long and since more than half the teams make the playoffs anyway, it's largely meaningless. Only the most hardcore fans can stick through that. Same thing applies to basketball.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-04-23, 13:14

It might help you understand the game better if you watched more and spare us all your dumb analysis? Just a thought.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-04-23, 13:18

kingstonlake wrote:It might help you understand the game better if you watched more and spare us all tour dumb analysis? Just a thought.

Instant promotion to Geronte.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-23, 13:21

I almost never watch any pro sports regular season games on TV any more. I do attend a lot of MLB games (Nats and O's) but never watch either on local TV.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-04-23, 13:47

NigelUno wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:It might help you understand the game better if you watched more and spare us all tour dumb analysis? Just a thought.

lol!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-23, 13:52

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Not at all. Since its hockey playoff time, I assume that's what you're getting at... The regular season is way way too long and since more than half the teams make the playoffs anyway, it's largely meaningless. Only the most hardcore fans can stick through that. Same thing applies to basketball.

That and the playoff season can damn near take as many games as a college bball regular season. I fucking don't have the time until I retire and am vegitated
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-23, 13:55

NigelUno wrote:

awwwww.....you have a friend!

Fwiw, I don't really critique teams that I don't watch every game. Only exception was 2006 and smokey sitting Kenny rogers for game 6. Total dumb ass decision as you practically owe it to the vet. Hell even Larry Brown knew to play the fuck out of Lindsey hunter in 2005
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-04-23, 13:59

Blanch32 wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Not at all. Since its hockey playoff time, I assume that's what you're getting at... The regular season is way way too long and since more than half the teams make the playoffs anyway, it's largely meaningless. Only the most hardcore fans can stick through that. Same thing applies to basketball.

That and the playoff season can damn near take as many games as a college bball regular season.  I fucking don't have the time until I retire and am vegitated
Yeah, two months of playoffs is insane too. Both problems would be fixed by limiting the playoffs to only 8 teams. But $$$. So, nah.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-04-23, 14:56

I stopped actually caring how the Wings did in regular season in the mid-90s, after yet another Presidents Cup Trophy led to yet another playoff failure. Home ice, being "the better team" on paper, none of that mattered worth a damn. Don't get me wrong, I would still watch most of the games, but that was just because I enjoy the game. But I didn't really care much if the Wings won or lost.

Lately, with the Wings barely making the playoffs a couple of times recently, I've cared more about games down the stretch as they've been meaningful to get into the playoffs. But overall, it shows how blessed/spoiled we are to not having to think twice about whether the Wings were going to make the playoffs for the last couple of decades.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-04-23, 15:02

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

That and the playoff season can damn near take as many games as a college bball regular season.  I fucking don't have the time until I retire and am vegitated
Yeah, two months of playoffs is insane too. Both problems would be fixed by limiting the playoffs to only 8 teams. But $$$. So, nah.
I actually like the length of the NHL post-season. The more the merrier, as I love playoff hockey, even after the Wings have been eliminated. Especially overtime playoff games. The sudden death aspect, players pushing through despite being dead tired, and the randomness with which a puck can deflect or bounce to complete change a game/series makes for incredible drama. Add in the fact that there are few, if any, commercials during the overtime periods, and it's some of the best sports-viewing on TV outside of the first round of the NCAA tournament.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-23, 15:04

What about making series 5 games besides a 7 game final? I don't think we need best out of 7 in the earlier rounds. 5 is fine. But like someone else mentioned, $$$, so it will never happen, discussing it is kind of pointless.

Unless people just stopped watching...but what else are we going to do? They own our ass.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-23, 15:49

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:What about making series 5 games besides a 7 game final? I don't think we need best out of 7 in the earlier rounds. 5 is fine. But like someone else mentioned, $$$, so it will never happen, discussing it is kind of pointless.

Unless people just stopped watching...but what else are we going to do? They own our ass.

That would work for basketball since their are rarely upsets but hockey is fine with seven.

First round of baseball kisses me off. No reason for a 162 game schedule either. Reduce that shit down to 90 max!
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-04-23, 16:02

Blanch32 wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:What about making series 5 games besides a 7 game final? I don't think we need best out of 7 in the earlier rounds. 5 is fine. But like someone else mentioned, $$$, so it will never happen, discussing it is kind of pointless.

That would work for basketball since their are rarely upsets but hockey is fine with seven.

First round of baseball kisses me off.  No reason for a 162 game schedule either.  Reduce that shit down to 90 max!
sexy.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-04-23, 16:03

MiamiSpartan wrote:
I actually like the length of the NHL post-season.  The more the merrier, as I love playoff hockey, even after the Wings have been eliminated.  Especially overtime playoff games.  The sudden death aspect, players pushing through despite being dead tired, and the randomness with which a puck can deflect or bounce to complete change a game/series makes for incredible drama.  Add in the fact that there are few, if any, commercials during the overtime periods, and it's some of the best sports-viewing on TV outside of the first round of the NCAA tournament.
Yeah, the nhl playoffs are great... The fact that they go on until mid June is a bit much.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-04-23, 16:15

MiamiSpartan wrote:
I actually like the length of the NHL post-season.  The more the merrier, as I love playoff hockey, even after the Wings have been eliminated.  Especially overtime playoff games.  The sudden death aspect, players pushing through despite being dead tired, and the randomness with which a puck can deflect or bounce to complete change a game/series makes for incredible drama.  Add in the fact that there are few, if any, commercials during the overtime periods, and it's some of the best sports-viewing on TV outside of the first round of the NCAA tournament.
Yeah, the nhl playoffs are great... The fact that they go on until mid June is a bit much.
That's when the last of the ice melts on Lake Superior, so it seems justified.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-23, 22:27

Tonight wasn't cool
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers 2015-04-26, 19:15

I don't watch the NBA at all. I watch the NHL at the end of the season, and get pretty amped about the playoffs.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-04-26, 20:01

SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-04-26, 20:23

1. Spartan and Packer football fan pretty much every second of every game.

2. Spartan basketball fan the last ten minutes of most games from November through Bowl season, then as many games I can be home for the whole game will be on in the house as I'm doing shit from bowl season till late February. After that I'm glued to it pretty much till we're eliminated from the NCAA.
3. Red wing playoff fan only casual till the later rounds then more intense.

4. Tiger fan early Spring late Fall as much as possible.

5. Milwaukee Buck fan the last 2 minutes of playoff games.

I know, nobody gives a fuck. Yep
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-26, 20:58

1. Spartan football...every second of every game because I love MSU and because college football is awesome and has too short of a season.

2. Detroit Tigers...every inning of as many games as possible, because I just love the game of baseball and how it's played almost every day and because it's easy to have on in the background if I'm doing something as well.

3. Spartan basketball...I'll watch the major early-season games, and then when conference play starts up I'll watch most games, but I don't get really into them until the tournament start.

4. Buffalo Sabres...I'll put on TV every so often during the season, but it's hard to get into the NHL regular season enough to watch every game, but I probably watch about half the games and then I'm all-in during the playoffs.

5. Buffalo Bills...I'll only watch if my friends invite me out to watch it with them. I can't stand the current NFL product. I couldn't tell you about playoffs because the last time they made it was 1999, but I imagine I'd watch them if they somehow made the playoffs. 

It's fine to be just a playoff fan. I think in the NBA and NHL, there's too many games, and I think the NFL product is awful, so I don't blame people for only watching the playoffs in those sports. With MLB, the season is long, but I just feel like once you get in a rhythm of watching games every day (which is really easy for me because I love the sport), it becomes a bit addicting and then the postseason feels incredibly rewarding after that grind.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-26, 21:02

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Yeah, I don't really want to watch hockey when it's June. By that point, I'm all-in on baseball.

I think a season from October to late April would be nice. Just play more games each week and cut out the All-Star break if they're worried about revenue.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-04-26, 21:03

Yeah I'm just a playoff fan for almost all the pro sports. I'll watch some regular season NFL games but mostly just because I'm keeping an eye on my fantasy players.

But I watch as much college football and basketball as I can. Even random Thursday night games.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2015-04-27, 03:48

HT wrote:1. Spartan football...every second of every game because I love MSU and because college football is awesome and has too short of a season.

2. Detroit Tigers...every inning of as many games as possible, because I just love the game of baseball and how it's played almost every day and because it's easy to have on in the background if I'm doing something as well.

3. Spartan basketball...I'll watch the major early-season games, and then when conference play starts up I'll watch most games, but I don't get really into them until the tournament start.

4. Buffalo Sabres...I'll put on TV every so often during the season, but it's hard to get into the NHL regular season enough to watch every game, but I probably watch about half the games and then I'm all-in during the playoffs.

5. Buffalo Bills...I'll only watch if my friends invite me out to watch it with them. I can't stand the current NFL product. I couldn't tell you about playoffs because the last time they made it was 1999, but I imagine I'd watch them if they somehow made the playoffs. 

It's fine to be just a playoff fan. I think in the NBA and NHL, there's too many games, and I think the NFL product is awful, so I don't blame people for only watching the playoffs in those sports. With MLB, the season is long, but I just feel like once you get in a rhythm of watching games every day (which is really easy for me because I love the sport), it becomes a bit addicting and then the postseason feels incredibly rewarding after that grind.
HT wrote:1. Spartan football...every second of every game because I love MSU and because college football is awesome and has too short of a season.

'

I care about MSU and MSU athletes first and foremost.

Any Spartans in the NBA playoffs are priority 1.

Any Spartans in the NHL playoffs are priority 2.

NBA playoffs > NHL playoffs

Neither is as good as college.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-04-27, 03:55

I only care about MSU
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down