Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CBS: Nick Saban suggests 'either have bowl games or have playoffs,' not both

5 posters

Go down

Bolt CBS: Nick Saban suggests 'either have bowl games or have playoffs,' not both

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-05-14, 15:57

Nick Saban suggests 'either have bowl games or have playoffs,' not both

Everyone's favorite, Nicky may be frustrated he didn't win the title for once..

"I learned what I feared the most would happen," Saban told AL.com while at a golf tournament in Birmingham. "All the attention, all the interest would be about the four teams in the playoffs, which is exactly what happened, which was great to be a part of.

"But what I was most fearful of is college football is unique. A lot of young men get a lot of positive self gratification from being able to go to a bowl game and that's always been a special thing. That by having a playoff we would minimize the interest in other bowl games, which I think is sort of what happened and I hate to see that for college football."

That comment began circulating immediately, but there was another quote from AL.com that stood out from his critique.

"Maybe we need to go one way or the other," Saban said. "Either have bowl games or have playoffs but not try to have both."
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bolt Re: CBS: Nick Saban suggests 'either have bowl games or have playoffs,' not both

Post by steveschneider 2015-05-14, 15:59

I agree with Nick, the 40+ bowl games is dumb. Most of them are meaningless.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Bolt Re: CBS: Nick Saban suggests 'either have bowl games or have playoffs,' not both

Post by HT 2015-05-14, 16:01

He is such a little bitch.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-14, 16:02

Just like every year, there were games I was interested in, and there were games I wasn't interested in. I don't give a shit about 6-6 teams playing, unless that is the only game on. Most likely I'm going to watch B1G teams play whoever in bowl season. Most likely I'm not going to watch non B1G teams play against each other, unless its a higher bowl. The other bowl games were already minimized by the BCS.

I can see his point though if they go to 16 teams in a playoff scenario, or 32. I don't see anyway in which there is only going to be a 4 team playoff and no bowl games.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-05-14, 16:04

InTenSity wrote:Just like every year, there were games I was interested in, and there were games I wasn't interested in. I don't give a shit about 6-6 teams playing, unless that is the only game on. Most likely I'm going to watch B1G teams play whoever in bowl season. Most likely I'm not going to watch non B1G teams play against each other, unless its a higher bowl. The other bowl games were already minimized by the BCS.

I can see his point though if they go to 16 teams in a playoff scenario, or 32. I don't see anyway in which there is only going to be a 4 team playoff and no bowl games.

I agree, just go to 16 and be done with it. Do a playoffs for Div 1 an Div 2 of 16 teams each.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-14, 16:10

steveschneider wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Just like every year, there were games I was interested in, and there were games I wasn't interested in. I don't give a shit about 6-6 teams playing, unless that is the only game on. Most likely I'm going to watch B1G teams play whoever in bowl season. Most likely I'm not going to watch non B1G teams play against each other, unless its a higher bowl. The other bowl games were already minimized by the BCS.

I agree, just go to 16 and be done with it. Do a playoffs for Div 1 an Div 2 of 16 teams each.

I believe that right now there are something like 126 Div 1 teams. 70ish make bowl games. the argument I see the schools and coaches making to keep the bowl games, is the extra practice time they get. I think 4 more bowls were added this year, so somehow these games are making $$ for someone. Until that stops, or the schools put a stop to this, there won't be any changes.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-05-14, 16:56

Bowl games aren't going away. Too much money in it, and the coaches/programs like the extra practice and the incentive playing in a post season game provides for their players.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-05-14, 17:50

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Bowl games aren't going away. Too much money in it, and the coaches/programs like the extra practice and the incentive playing in a post season game provides for their players.

Agreed, plus, if people keep watching/going, then they have 0 reason to even try.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down