Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High School Basketball Talent in Michigan

+5
Blanch32
Robert J Sakimano
Herbie Green
WBill
Turtleneck
9 posters

Go down

High School Basketball Talent in Michigan Empty High School Basketball Talent in Michigan

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-17, 19:16

It gone?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

High School Basketball Talent in Michigan Empty Re: High School Basketball Talent in Michigan

Post by WBill 2015-05-17, 19:57

It isn't what it used to be when Flint would produce 8-10 D1 players a year on its own.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

High School Basketball Talent in Michigan Empty Re: High School Basketball Talent in Michigan

Post by Guest 2015-05-17, 20:10

Too many video games, not enough real games.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-05-17, 20:52

I think AAU gets a bad rap. It is deserved because of the influences. But I don't think it is the evil it is made out to be from a basketball development standpoint.
Where were kids playing in the Magic Johnson era? Pick up ball?
These kids don't need a high school coach following them around all off-season structuring their play.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2015-05-17, 21:26

Flint used to have a unique system where city or school gyms were kept open every day until late in the evening. The gyms closed and the number of great players dropped off soon afterward.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-05-17, 22:31

WBill wrote:Flint used to have a unique system where city or school gyms were kept open every day until late in the evening. The gyms closed and the number of great players dropped off soon afterward.

This would be an interesting story - decline of Michigan basketball due to end of open gyms.

Couch's article had a lot of good points but I think this could have more to do than anything. The greatness of Michigan basketball came from the streets.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-17, 22:57

I am curious if Couch misrepresents population loss as a new phenomenon.  I could be wrong, but Michigan's population took a pretty serious hit - maybe even a bigger hit than than the recent decade - from the mid 1970s through the mid-1980s. Yet there was still good talent in the subsequent years as kids reached college age.  I think it is symptomatic of something else, and might even be cyclical.  WBill seems to be on to something with the gyms.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-18, 10:46

while population shift plays a role, I do suspect that there are a lot of other sociological factors that impact the alleged decline in the quality of high school basketball in the state. A struggling family structure, kids less likely to accept the discipline associated with developing skills and more options with regard to activities (some good, some bad) to be involved in all play a role, I would say.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-05-18, 12:57

Don't forget the euro factor....

50% drop off is 30% pop decline and I'll bet 20% euros.

A better stat would be college all Americans
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-18, 13:04

Blanch32 wrote:Don't forget the euro factor....

50% drop off is 30% pop decline and I'll bet 20% euros.

A better stat would be college all Americans

Why are you betting in euros?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-05-18, 13:55

Robert J Sakimano wrote:while population shift plays a role, I do suspect that there are a lot of other sociological factors that impact the alleged decline in the quality of high school basketball in the state. A struggling family structure, kids less likely to accept the discipline associated with developing skills and more options with regard to activities (some good, some bad) to be involved in all play a role, I would say.

Every single thing in there is scum's fault. God I hate them so much.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-18, 14:02

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:while population shift plays a role, I do suspect that there are a lot of other sociological factors that impact the alleged decline in the quality of high school basketball in the state. A struggling family structure, kids less likely to accept the discipline associated with developing skills and more options with regard to activities (some good, some bad) to be involved in all play a role, I would say.

Every single thing in there is scum's fault. God I hate them so much.
don't forget the officiating. I will never forgive them for what they've done to me and my family.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers 2015-05-19, 22:56

Population shifts have played an obvious role, with many black families who moved here to work for the auto industry leaving to move back down south in the 2000s. However, there is still a lot of talent produced. The #1 overall player in 2016 Josh Jackson is from Detroit, and he's the sickest prep basketball player I've seen in a long time.

The biggest difference seems to be Saginaw and Flint. In the 1990s, those were the most fertile areas for basketball in the entire country. Since they both hit the fan economically, it's now pretty much dry.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-19, 23:02

Did the Jackson kid declare for scum?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-19, 23:07

InTenSity wrote:Did the Jackson kid declare for scum?

Josh Jackson or a kid from Jackson? If is the former, the answer is no (I think).
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-05-19, 23:33

Michigan talent bawoosh - it gone
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-25, 15:02

Apparently all is well in Ohio.

Also, apparently the MgoBlog nutcases assumed the article was some kind of giant excuse for Izzo not being able to do his job.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-basketball-recruiting/2015/05/53946/inside-ohio-basketballs-demographic-trends
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down