Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 US Open - Golf not Tennis you ninnies.

+16
DWags
HT
Triple Sparty
Rocinante
Robert J Sakimano
Floyd Robertson
Rodeo Burger
Code_Warrior
NigelUno
The Pantry
tGreenWay
WhiteGreenShow
Dr. Strangelove
Other Teams Pursuing That
kingstonlake
Watch Out Pylon!
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2015 US Open - Golf not Tennis you ninnies. - Page 2 Empty Re: 2015 US Open - Golf not Tennis you ninnies.

Post by kingstonlake 2015-06-19, 11:12

Triple Sparty wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:I'm enjoying it. Even though fox coverage is an abortion. When are they gonna roll out Terry Bradshaw, Howie long, and Frank Kaliendo?
Frank Caliendo would be awesome.
Frank Kaliendo as Jim Nance would be an upgrade to Kurt Minifey
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

2015 US Open - Golf not Tennis you ninnies. - Page 2 Empty Re: 2015 US Open - Golf not Tennis you ninnies.

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-06-19, 12:08

Caliendo doing Johnny miller doing commentary on Tiger's hacks yesterday.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-06-19, 12:53

If there's one thing I've seen from this U.S. Open, it's that Tiger is almost certainly not catching Jack. So awesome to see, because Jack embodies the game so, so much better than Tiger. Just kind of sad that Tiger's career arced in a way that took him out of contending much sooner than I thought he would. Would have been cool to see it come down to the last couple of majors in Tiger's career, instead of going downhill so fast and so early.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-06-19, 18:02

Jason Day collapses on last hole

I've had vertigo a couple times but it was years ago
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-06-19, 18:25

Gary Player calls Chambers Bay one of the worst courses he's ever seen
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-06-19, 18:37

The Pantry wrote:Jason Day collapses on last hole

What is it exactly? I mean I know the obvious answer but what can bring it in?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-06-19, 19:23

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Jason Day collapses on last hole

What is it exactly? I mean I know the obvious answer but what can bring it in?
For me it was sudden movement of my head. First time was while playing wallyball...basically, volleyball in a racquetball court with a lot of quick head turns playing off the walls. Scared the hell out of me at first. Thought I was having a stroke. Left the court to sit down for a while then drove home. Had some testing done and the doc couldn't figure out what caused it.

Happened a couple more times in the car just after leaving my old chiropractors office. Had one backing out of a parking spot at his office and another time had one when looking around to turn a sharp corner on the way home. Scary shit in the car. Fortunately, both were at low speed and didn't last very long.

My chiropractor did pretty abrupt neck adjustments. Stopped going to him and have not had one since.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-06-19, 19:47

This course blows.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-06-19, 19:53

2015 US Open - Golf not Tennis you ninnies. - Page 2 VHWxeM
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-19, 20:41

The Pantry wrote:Gary Player calls Chambers Bay one of the worst courses he's ever seen

Not sure Gary has really thought it through regarding water usage on the course...

http://www.chambersbaygolf.com/us-open/making-a-champion/
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-06-20, 00:10

Rodeo Burger wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:
This. The course sucks ass. All the grass looks dead, balls roll like playing on hardpan, the fairways all funnel into hazards, and putts bounce around like on the greens of a shitty public course. What the hell were they thinking by choosing that place? What fucking turd designed that POS?

Uh, it was designed as a links style course, which answers damn near all your questions.

As for the grass, it's fescue, because that's what they use on a links style course.

The US Open has always demanded excellence to not look horrible. The tee/green setups at more traditional courses are contrived. At Chambers Bay, that's what it really is.

The course is killing most of the pros because they always favor distance over accuracy on drives. Not to mention that putting is so important here. The sloppy player is getting exposed. This is fun.
Yeah, it's been tough on the pro's for sure, but part of my enjoyment of watching golf on an HD TV is to see some beautiful scenery and I know my TV just loves to show off it's skills at displaying that stuff. My TV is pissed off about this course. Augusta is just gorgeous. This is just like a shitty public course with it's very own set of train tracks. Add some high voltage transmission towers and I'd swear it was this shitty public course near my house.

I like to see the links courses in the British Open and I understand the look of courses like the St. Andrews Old Course - they were built on tracts of essentially useless sandy land hundreds of years ago without earth moving equipment and they had to use grass that could live in that shit. I expect that it won't be green and gorgeous all the time. However, the fairways are wide, undulating, and relatively flat in elevation, taking advantage of the natural terrain, with additions of strategically placed undulations, bunkers, and giant greens, and, as always, the wind. So I can appreciate those courses because they aren't unfair.

This course has narrow fairways that are sloped and tend to funnel even good shots into hazards. Combine that with greens that make the ball bounce randomly as it rolls, and I guess I just think that's unfair. Golf on that course is more like a combination of accurate placement and hope to get lucky not to get screwed by the slopes or the bouncing putts.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see the pro's join duffers like me in the deep rough and the sand, and I really enjoyed that Tiger losing the club moment, but I at least want it to be a fair challenge, and my TV wants to display some green grass damnit!
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by KLIF Roe 2015-06-20, 06:57

Too bad, we found the top secret method of getting 3 long islands.. can they get rid of that rule yet? (I did fall asleep on the couch last night..)[/quote]
You're smarter than the users from that other board. They would post their methods and I'd go into work and let everyone know what was going on. A few of us are on this site and the other board(for Spartan sports news... pretty much all news.) The rule will never go away and I don't think it needs to. The current owner(my boss) bought the place in 1980 and it still runs under the same ownership to this day... no point in changing the long island rule after running a successful bar for 35 years... and now I'm off to the bump when drunk thread if we have one
KLIF Roe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-20, 09:23

Code_Warrior wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:This track is a contrived piece of garbage - links style, with a fucking train, random buildings in the course, bunkers filled with grey sand and those hills. The only thing it's missing is a clown's nose and a windmill.
This. The course sucks ass. All the grass looks dead, balls roll like playing on hardpan, the fairways all funnel into hazards, and putts bounce around like on the greens of a shitty public course. What the hell were they thinking by choosing that place? What fucking turd designed that POS?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-06-20, 09:42

Robert Trent Jones Jr obviously lacks the talent of Sr
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-06-20, 19:04

My grass is green. My poop is brown. Gary Player would be impressed with both.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-06-20, 19:10

Today is the first day that I've really watched any of the 115th Open, but that course does look like ass. Are they suffering from the same drought as California? And what is up with the sand traps, looks like volcanic ash instead of sand.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-06-20, 21:52

Jason Day playing man ball today.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2015-06-21, 01:20

Floyd Robertson wrote:Today is the first day that I've really watched any of the 115th Open, but that course does look like ass. Are they suffering from the same drought as California? And what is up with the sand traps, looks like volcanic ash instead of sand.

I don't believe there's any drought in Washington. Links courses are suppossed to look like that. I don't have any problem with brown. If I have any observations about the course, it's that the surrounds are too artificial. I like when the contours of the course blend in with the terrain. The mounding looks very man made.

From what was said on the telecast, the sand came from the property itself. Color is subjective. I actually like the fact the sand is from onsite. Looks a little fine, but I haven't seen a lot of fried eggs, so it must play just fine.

Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2015-06-21, 02:00

NigelUno wrote:This is the 'Complain about brown grass thread'. Take your long island stories elsewhere!

Yeah, no shit!

People are pissed that fescue looks like fescue!

We should all be pissed!
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-06-21, 02:36

Rodeo Burger wrote:
NigelUno wrote:This is the 'Complain about brown grass thread'.  Take your long island stories elsewhere!

Yeah, no shit!

People are pissed that fescue looks like fescue!

We should all be pissed!
UNIVERSITY PLACE — After a few days of hearing varying — and increasingly critical — descriptions of the greens at Chambers Bay, Larry Gilhuly responded with one of his own.

“Smooth as a billiard table,’’ said Gilhuly, the Agronomist for the West Region of the USGA, which means he helped head up the team that prepared the course for the U.S. Open. “These are superb putting conditions.’’

That was news to many players, most of whom finished their rounds and then reached for their thesaurus to find ever more creative ways to express their disgust.

Henrik Stenson on Friday said navigating the greens at Chambers Bay was like “putting on broccoli.’’

Asked about that comment Saturday, fellow golfer Rory McIlroy shook his head.

“I don’t think they are as green as broccoli,’’ he said. “I think they’re more like cauliflower.’’

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/golf/golfers-give-bad-reviews-of-chambers-bay-course-usga-says-its-just-fine/
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tig ol bitties 2015-06-21, 03:57

Feel like I am late to this party, but this course sucks.

i enjoy watching the pros struggle, but at least make the course look good.

Tons of shitty brown, bumpy unkept greens, .......this place looks like the free public course a few miles from me.

At this point, I'm hoping that everyone gets dizzy and falls down.

also, lol at tiger
tig ol bitties
tig ol bitties
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-06-21, 08:28

What am I missing? They're all playing on the same course stfu and play. As far as the aesthetics Jesus man. Whatever
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-06-21, 09:55

DWags wrote:What am I missing?  They're all playing on the same course stfu and play.  As far as the aesthetics Jesus man. Whatever

This. Who cares about the course? Everyone has to play the same course, and the best player of the weekend will win the thing regardless of the course.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-21, 12:47

DWags wrote:What am I missing? They're all playing on the same course stfu and play. As far as the aesthetics Jesus man. Whatever

I really feel bad for professional golfers that have to play these shitty courses.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-06-21, 16:43

tig ol bitties wrote:Feel like I am late to this party,   but this course sucks.

i enjoy watching the pros struggle, but at least make the course look good.

Tons of shitty brown,  bumpy unkept greens, .......this place looks like the free public course a few miles from me.

At this point, I'm hoping that everyone gets dizzy and falls down.

also,   lol at tiger

You must love fox news channel.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-06-21, 17:27

Watching putts bump along must be pretty frustrating for these guys
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-06-21, 22:30

Crazy ending
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-06-21, 22:51

The Pantry wrote:Crazy ending

I felt so bad for Grace...had that OB, and then the putt on I think 17 stopped right before the cup after it had been fast all day.

Johnson...I knew he was psyching himself out when he took so long to get his putt set. Once he missed that first, I had a feeling he'd miss the second. He just has a history of this stuff.

I wanted Spieth to win anyways. It'd be sweet to see someone win all four majors in a season, and I just like Spieth way more than Johnson, who doesn't have his act together off the course and gets extra attention because of the Gretzky entourage.

I will say...three-putting from 12 feet could be enough to knock Johnson off the wagon. That has to be soul-crushing.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-06-22, 00:16

HT wrote:I will say...three-putting from 12 feet could be enough to knock Johnson off the wagon. That has to be soul-crushing.
That three putt from 12 was like something I would do. Wasn't even close on the return 3 footer. Psyched himself out of what could have been an interesting round tomorrow.

Congrats to Spieth
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-06-22, 00:37

Boom! Took Speith at the beginning of today.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-06-22, 21:15

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Boom! Took Speith at the beginning of today.
Way to stick your neck out
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-06-22, 21:17

Speaking of 3J (Dustin Johnson) how do two skinny white people have a fat black child?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2015-06-22, 21:50

DWags wrote:What am I missing? They're all playing on the same course stfu and play. As far as the aesthetics Jesus man. Whatever

Here's what you're missing DWags. Say we are playing the same hole and we both have aprox. 200 to the green. We both hit very good shots to 15 feet from the pin. You are below the hole and I am to pin high with flat putt. Two make able birdie putts, right? However, my line to the hole has a bunch of shit grass growing and yours is much smoother. Plus not to mention all of the contrived slopes on the course that randomly punish shots. Are we playing the same course?
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-06-22, 21:56

By-Tor wrote:

Here's what you're missing DWags. Say we are playing the same hole and we both have aprox. 200 to the green. We both hit very good shots to 15 feet from the pin. You are below the hole and I am to pin high with flat putt. Two make able birdie putts, right? However, my line to the hole has a bunch of shit grass growing and yours is much smoother. Plus not to mention all of the contrived slopes on the course that randomly punish shots. Are we playing the same course?

Yeah, you are..
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2015-06-22, 23:36

By-Tor wrote:
DWags wrote:What am I missing?  They're all playing on the same course stfu and play.  As far as the aesthetics Jesus man. Whatever

Here's what you're missing DWags.   Say we are playing the same hole and we both have aprox. 200 to the green.   We both hit very good shots to 15 feet from the pin.   You are  below the hole and I am to pin high with flat putt.   Two make able birdie putts, right? However, my line to the hole has a bunch of shit grass growing and yours is much smoother.    Plus not to mention all of the contrived slopes on the course that randomly punish shots.     Are we playing the same course?    

Every player has had practice rounds, caddy walk-arounds, etc.  They can watch the TV coverage for the preferred landing areas on every approach, every green, etc.  Not that it isn't already printed out for them in the yardage guides.

These guys just weren't accurate for the most part.  Most courses allow them to miss a fairway with impunity.  This one doesn't.  This course is a bit harsher in it's treatment of sloppy play than most, but it's not a secret.  Guys with a wild driver could have taken out a  3 iron, but they didn't, because they'd rather blame the course than be in the bottom 50% of driving, while never considering their driving accuracy.

As someone said, it was the easiest US Open to win in the history of the tournament, because 90% of the players had quit before they every hit shot.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-06-22, 23:49

I loved it. It was fun to watch.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-06-23, 00:04

By-Tor wrote:

The exact same one. Not one bit of difference.
Lets say we're playing Augusta. We have two hundred to the green. I hit it in the bunker and you hit it on the green. Are we playing on the same course?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-06-23, 01:32

DWags wrote:
By-Tor wrote:

Here's what you're missing DWags.   Say we are playing the same hole and we both have aprox. 200 to the green.   We both hit very good shots to 15 feet from the pin.   You are  below the hole and I am to pin high with flat putt.   Two make able birdie putts, right? However, my line to the hole has a bunch of shit grass growing and yours is much smoother.    Plus not to mention all of the contrived slopes on the course that randomly punish shots.     Are we playing the same course?    

The exact same one.  Not one bit of difference.  
Lets say we're playing Augusta.  We have two hundred to the green.  I hit it in the bunker and you hit it on the green.  Are we playing on the same course?
You seem disturbingly liberal for a guy your age.

Apparently your shit has not hit the fan...yet
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-06-23, 07:40

Rodeo Burger wrote:
By-Tor wrote:

Every player has had practice rounds, caddy walk-arounds, etc.  They can watch the TV coverage for the preferred landing areas on every approach, every green, etc.  Not that it isn't already printed out for them in the yardage guides.

These guys just weren't accurate for the most part.  Most courses allow them to miss a fairway with impunity.  This one doesn't.  This course is a bit harsher in it's treatment of sloppy play than most, but it's not a secret.  Guys with a wild driver could have taken out a  3 iron, but they didn't, because they'd rather blame the course than be in the bottom 50% of driving, while never considering their driving accuracy.

As someone said, it was the easiest US Open to win in the history of the tournament, because 90% of the players had quit before they every hit shot.

Sloppy play? You mean like on your tee shot hitting it in the fairway 30 yards from the rough and watching it roll into a trap? Because I saw that about 50 times over the tournament.

Also, the only golf where backstops and rebound putts should come into play is miniature. And speaking of putting: fescue and poa are a poor surface.

I'm glad to see the USGA move the Open around but this is a gimmick course and I don't think they'll be back.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-06-23, 08:59

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Rodeo Burger wrote:

As someone said, it was the easiest US Open to win in the history of the tournament, because 90% of the players had quit before they every hit  shot.

Sloppy play? You mean like on your tee shot hitting it in the fairway 30 yards from the rough and watching it roll into a trap? Because I saw that about 50 times over the tournament.

Also, the only golf where backstops and rebound putts should come into play is miniature. And speaking of putting: fescue and poa are a poor surface.

I'm glad to see the USGA move the Open around but this is a gimmick course and I don't think they'll be back.

Everyone has to play the same course, and it adds an extra dimension to your game. I personally liked it and thought the tournament was exciting. I don't want them to play there again for a long time, but I didn't mind that style course as a change from the typical U.S. Open courses.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next