Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Psychologists here??

+12
Giant Moose
InTenSity
Other Teams Pursuing That
Herbie Green
tGreenWay
Cym Jim
Dingleberryexplosion
Rocinante
Gomer
Blanch32
steveschneider
WhiteBoyHatcher
16 posters

Go down

Any Psychologists here?? Empty Any Psychologists here??

Post by Guest 2015-07-21, 21:18

If so, am I correct in assuming this is the mental problem Blanch deals with?

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude. Conversely, highly skilled individuals tend to underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks that are easy for them are also easy for others.
David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University have postulated that the effect is the result of internal illusion in the unskilled, and external misperception in the skilled: "The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."

Dunning-Kruger syndrome has been understood largely as a workplace phenomenon, but let me posit that it is a powerful factor in message board posters:

Incompetent, low-value people constantly imagine themselves to be smarter than they are, and smarter than other people generally, and believe that other people require their (incompetent) guidance in a nearly limitless number of lifestyle choices.

In fact, the people who assert that they are smarter than others, and thus must lend their competency and intellect to others, are in fact among the stupidest, most incompetent, and least useful people in existence.

Dunning–Kruger effect
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Any Psychologists here?? Empty Re: Any Psychologists here??

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-07-21, 21:19

That's gold, Jerry.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-21, 21:21

lol lol!!!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-21, 21:51

I'm the guy with the 3.98 with honors. Wouldn't this pretty much apply to the msg board population that's below my intellect, yet attacks me? For isnt that the very definition?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-07-21, 21:56

Blanch, we all have past accomplishments we can point to in order to try to justify our intelligence. I could point to my ACT score. But that just seems silly, to point back to an accomplishment 20 years ago. It doesn't do shit for me, or my family. It didn't do shit for me in college or in the workplace. It doesn't mean a goddamned thing.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2015-07-21, 22:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Blanch, we all have past accomplishments we can point to in order to try to justify our intelligence. I could point to my ACT score. But that just seems silly, to point back to an accomplishment 20 years ago. It doesn't do shit for me, or my family. It didn't do shit for me in college or in the workplace. It doesn't mean a goddamned thing.
My ACT was 20 fucking years ago. Jesus.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-07-21, 23:49

Blanch32 wrote:I'm the guy with the 3.98 with honors. Wouldn't this pretty much apply to the msg board population that's below my intellect, yet attacks me? For isnt that the very definition?

Think of this in a high pitched upper class English accent and it's hilarious.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingleberryexplosion 2015-07-21, 23:54

Jesus, Blanch is over here? Fuck. The next thing you guys will tell me is that tranfan made the journey as well.
Dingleberryexplosion
Dingleberryexplosion
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-07-21, 23:57

He did, but he left. Because he hates Nigel.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingleberryexplosion 2015-07-22, 00:20

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:He did, but he left. Because he hates Nigel.

Ha! What a pussy.
Dingleberryexplosion
Dingleberryexplosion
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2015-07-22, 00:59

LooseGoose wrote:If so, am I correct in assuming this is the mental problem Blanch deals with?

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude. Conversely, highly skilled individuals tend to underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks that are easy for them are also easy for others.
David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University have postulated that the effect is the result of internal illusion in the unskilled, and external misperception in the skilled: "The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."

Dunning-Kruger syndrome has been understood largely as a workplace phenomenon, but let me posit that it is a powerful factor in message board posters:

Incompetent, low-value people constantly imagine themselves to be smarter than they are, and smarter than other people generally, and believe that other people require their (incompetent) guidance in a nearly limitless number of lifestyle choices.

In fact, the people who assert that they are smarter than others, and thus must lend their competency and intellect to others, are in fact among the stupidest, most incompetent, and least useful people in existence.

Dunning–Kruger effect

Any Psychologists here?? 502811600 I hope you're second quote isn't from Wikipedia! We deal with Dunning-Kruger a lot in educational measurement, especially in measures of instructional effectiveness. I've always seen it as part of the general American way of being - where everyone is an above average driver, is better than average looking (unless you attend an RCMB tailgate), where all children are above average. etc. etc. Sadly the only things people will happily admit to not being very good at are important things like math and science.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-07-22, 01:06

Cym Jim wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:If so, am I correct in assuming this is the mental problem Blanch deals with?

Dunning–Kruger effect

Any Psychologists here?? 502811600 I hope you're second quote isn't from Wikipedia! We deal with Dunning-Kruger a lot in educational measurement, especially in measures of instructional effectiveness. I've always seen it as part of the general American way of being - where everyone is an above average driver, is better than average looking (unless you attend an RCMB tailgate), where all children are above average. etc. etc. Sadly the only things people will happily admit to not being very good at are important things like math and science.

Quit being a Limey douche.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2015-07-22, 01:26

Rocinante wrote:Quit being a Limey douche.

You're definitely above average.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-07-22, 01:34

Rocinante wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:I'm the guy with the 3.98 with honors. Wouldn't this pretty much apply to the msg board population that's below my intellect, yet attacks me? For isnt that the very definition?

Think of this in a high pitched upper class English accent and it's hilarious.

Hellllooooooo!!!!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-07-22, 01:51

I think your schtick would have worked so much better if you were a 7 year 2.02 student that fumbled his way into a six figure job, posting incoherent messages from the local bar.

A 3.98 honors graduate that can't form a sentence just doesn't make sense.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-07-22, 02:26

It seems Nigel kinda left, too. I don't think they enjoyed us telling both of them to end the war.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-07-22, 08:05

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

It seems Nigel kinda left, too. I don't think they enjoyed us telling both of them to end the war.
That's not going to stop Nigel. I think he posted he was somewhere in the Dakota's. Maybe he's on vacation and not posting at all. He hasn't posted on tBB since last Thursday and he hasn't posted here since then either.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-22, 08:29

blanch really isn't that bad. He's just a dude trying to have fun.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-07-22, 10:08

InTenSity wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

That's not going to stop Nigel. I think he posted he was somewhere in the Dakota's. Maybe he's on vacation and not posting at all. He hasn't posted on tBB since last Thursday and he hasn't posted here since then either.
BobS too, I think they're one and the same.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-07-22, 10:12

Cym Jim wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Quit being a Limey douche.

You're definitely above average.

Just my cock. Which is enough.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-07-22, 10:16

LooseGoose wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
BobS too, I think they're one and the same.
That would be one of the best long cons I have ever witnessed. That would also be a shitload of posts for 1 person to have.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2015-07-22, 11:31

I've been saying this for years.
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-22, 18:27

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Blanch, we all have past accomplishments we can point to in order to try to justify our intelligence. I could point to my ACT score. But that just seems silly, to point back to an accomplishment 20 years ago. It doesn't do shit for me, or my family. It didn't do shit for me in college or in the workplace. It doesn't mean a goddamned thing.

I can promise it helped land my last job. That or I'm shockingly good at my career...got 4 calls this week about other opportunities here in Charlotte
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-22, 18:28

Dingleberryexplosion wrote:

Ha! What a pussy.

This
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-22, 18:29

Herbie Green wrote:

I think your schtick would have worked so much better if you were a 7 year 2.02 student that fumbled his way into a six figure job, posting incoherent messages from the local bar.

A 3.98 honors graduate that can't form a sentence just doesn't make sense.

Booze is bad. Mmmm Kay?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-07-22, 18:33

I don't get the blanch hate. He is what he is, and there are definitely worse posters out there.

I would party with blanch, seems like a fun dude.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-07-22, 19:18

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I don't get the blanch hate. He is what he is, and there are definitely worse posters out there.

You're drunk again, aren't you?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingleberryexplosion 2015-07-22, 19:34

I have partied with Blanch's mom.
Dingleberryexplosion
Dingleberryexplosion
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-22, 21:07

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I don't get the blanch hate. He is what he is, and there are definitely worse posters out there.

Of course I'm a blast. I'll be the VIP at the Charlotte msu bar crawl August 23rd. Yenze are invited to partake
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-07-23, 00:08

Rocinante wrote:

You're drunk again, aren't you?

Any Psychologists here?? 502811600 just a bottle of red for me
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-07-23, 00:24

Blanch32 wrote:

I can promise it helped land my last job.  That or I'm shockingly good at my career...got 4 calls this week about other opportunities here in Charlotte

No. I think you're incorrect here. I don't know your exact situation but I think you told me in a previous thread you're like 32-33. If you still are referencing your college GPA you are a fucking loser. No offense intended. You got those calls because of your professional experience. You may have used that GPA initially to land your first job, but once you landed your first job, your education/GPA becomes such a minute factor that it's hardly worth referencing. I'm glad that you have advanced your career and made yourself marketable, but trust me it has ZERO to do with your GPA. Please stop calling it out as some sort of accomplishment at your age. It's pathetic. Rest on your professional laurels.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2015-07-23, 08:29

No interviewer has ever asked me about my GPA. The only time it ever came up was when filling out applications for internships, which is disappointing, I should have fucked off even more at school.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-23, 08:34

Al Bundy clung to the glory of his high school football days, Blanch is clinging to the glory of his 3.98 gpa days.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-23, 08:35

He just mentions his GPA because it riles you guys up.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-23, 18:24

steveschneider wrote:

Al Bundy clung to the glory of his high school football days, Blanch is clinging to the glory of his 3.98 gpa days.

Troof. Max d out brain power back then. The adderall and affedrin withdrawals then kicked in
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-07-23, 19:59

So you are saying Blanch's GPA is Great Piles of Adderall?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-23, 20:50

GRR Spartan wrote:So you are saying Blanch's GPA is Great Piles of Adderall?

More affedrin...its a helluva study drug
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-07-23, 20:57

Blanch32 wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:So you are saying Blanch's GPA is Great Piles of Adderall?

affedrin

Jesus, man.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum