Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alternate History: What if Saban had come back?

+7
Giant Moose
HT
Blanch32
GRR Spartan
Nordic
Floyd Robertson
steveschneider
11 posters

Go down

Alternate History:  What if Saban had come back? Empty Alternate History: What if Saban had come back?

Post by Guest 2015-07-24, 16:57

Where would we be today?

I don't think we'd be the position we're in now, we'd be worse off.

Book: Tearful Saban wanted to stay at Michigan State

Some LSU officials knew something was up, too, and — like a recruit they'd have to sit on until Signing Day — weren't comfortable until they introduced Saban at a news conference.

Says Charlie Weems, a member of LSU's search committee: "To this day, I believe that had the Michigan State president called Nick at any time up until the moment he stepped up to the press conference, he could have had Nick back. Nick makes these decisions reluctantly."

But often.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Alternate History:  What if Saban had come back? Empty Re: Alternate History: What if Saban had come back?

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-24, 17:02

That 1999 team was amazing and arrows were pointing up. I think he wins a natty.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Alternate History:  What if Saban had come back? Empty Re: Alternate History: What if Saban had come back?

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-07-24, 17:12

I think he's probably gone by 2003 anyway, probably directly to the NFL. Mr. I Don't Know would surely have taken over and we'd still have been fucked. Maybe we skip JLS and straight to Dantonio tough.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2015-07-24, 17:15

McPherson was an awful president when it came to support for the athletics. I'm not even sure he could correctly tell you what balls go with what sports.

If he had stayed we would of been a sweet good for the next couple of years and then he would of bolted for an NFL gig.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2015-07-24, 17:16

Floyd Robertson wrote:I think he's probably gone by 2003 anyway, probably directly to the NFL. Mr. I Don't Know would surely have taken over and we'd still have been fucked. Maybe we skip JLS and straight to Dantonio tough.

Alternate History:  What if Saban had come back? Giphy

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-07-24, 17:38

LooseGoose wrote:Where would we be today?

Some LSU officials knew something was up, too, and — like a recruit they'd have to sit on until Signing Day — weren't comfortable until they introduced Saban at a news conference.

Says Charlie Weems, a member of LSU's search committee: "To this day, I believe that had the Michigan State president called Nick at any time up until the moment he stepped up to the press conference, he could have had Nick back. Nick makes these decisions reluctantly."

But often.

That quote is pure unadulterated BS. Had Nick Saban wanted to stay in EL he would have told his agent to start working on his new contract after the last game of the regular season and have it announce after the bowl game. Saban and his agent wanted a new contract after beating umaa.and McPhereson told them there would be no talks until after the season was completed. There was no way Saban would have comeback after offering every coach on his MSU staff a job in Baton Rouge if the wanted to join him on the private jet and the had no takers.

According to folks who were on the BOT at that time, Saban's best quality at MSU was his wife Terry who did yeoman's work because Nick hadn't realized being the HC at a college wasn't like being an assistant.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-07-24, 17:42

GRR Spartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Where would we be today?

That quote is pure unadulterated BS.  Had Nick Saban wanted to stay in EL he would have told his agent to start working on his new contract after the last game of the regular season and have it announce after the bowl game.  Saban and his agent wanted a new contract after beating umaa.and McPhereson told them there would be no talks until after the season was completed.  There was no way Saban would have comeback after offering every coach on his MSU staff a job in Baton Rouge if the wanted to join him on the private jet and the had no takers.

According to folks who were on the BOT at that time, Saban's best quality at MSU was his wife Terry who did yeoman's work because Nick hadn't realized being the HC  at a college wasn't like being an assistant.

Everybody always thinks that McPherson screwed up, but as I recall, he was more than willing to negotiate with Saban after the season and offer him and the staff healthy raises.  McPherson just didn't want to be negotiating with the gun Nick had pointed at his head after the victory over u of m.  I will never have a problem with McPherson's approach on that.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-24, 18:50

Floyd Robertson wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:

That quote is pure unadulterated BS.  Had Nick Saban wanted to stay in EL he would have told his agent to start working on his new contract after the last game of the regular season and have it announce after the bowl game.  Saban and his agent wanted a new contract after beating umaa.and McPhereson told them there would be no talks until after the season was completed.  There was no way Saban would have comeback after offering every coach on his MSU staff a job in Baton Rouge if the wanted to join him on the private jet and the had no takers.

According to folks who were on the BOT at that time, Saban's best quality at MSU was his wife Terry who did yeoman's work because Nick hadn't realized being the HC  at a college wasn't like being an assistant.

Everybody always thinks that McPherson screwed up, but as I recall, he was more than willing to negotiate with Saban after the season and offer him and the staff healthy raises.  McPherson just didn't want to be negotiating with the gun Nick had pointed at his head after the victory over u of m.  I will never have a problem with McPherson's approach on that.

Agreed. Granted our admin wasn't going to commit to the football program like saban demanded nor was perles on the BOT to support his earlier vision, so its not all McPherson.

...and let's not forget that dantonio himself easily could have joined Nick but chose not to. Remember this was pre tressel at OSU. Also, love the fact that half sabans staff is old jls assistants and Bobby.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-07-24, 19:44

He probably would have left us eventually, like everyone else has said. Would have probably gone right to the NFL, before being hired at Bama or ND or some other school with stupid money to throw around at a coach.

I think things worked out for the best. Maybe we win the B1G in 2000 or 2001, but I think we wouldn't have Dantonio and I think what Dantonio's building might have us set for the long haul if we can handle the transition to the next staff correctly.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-24, 19:51

We'd be better off. If Saban had come back, we would have not gone as long between Rose Bowls. Our program was basically set back 10 years by Williams and Smith.

Saban also would have been around for the years when Izzo really started to become powerful, and the two of them working together to build a powerful athletic department would have been impressive.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-07-24, 21:07

Yeah McPherson did fine. He wasn't going to be held hostage in the middle of the season. He could have caved and maybe Nick is around for another year or two at most.
You can join the arms race and keep bidding up and up. I don't think any amount of dollars would have kept his ego from leaving. Of course, even a few more years would have been better than BW and JLS. But that is water under the bridge. We ended up with Dantonio
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-25, 00:36

Giant Moose wrote:We'd be better off. If Saban had come back, we would have not gone as long between Rose Bowls. Our program was basically set back 10 years by Williams and Smith.

Saban also would have been around for the years when Izzo really started to become powerful, and the two of them working together to build a powerful athletic department would have been impressive.

Your assuming he would not have left after 2000
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 2015-07-25, 11:45

What happened is what happened because of the circumstances at MSU at the time. MSU was NOT committed to the same vision as Saban. He got sick of the bullshit and LSU gave him what he wanted. So while its nice to speculate, Saban bolted and did so for reasons that made the move an inevitability. If not 1999, then after the next run in with McPhereson. Never forget the constant NFL rumors year after fucking year.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-07-25, 12:28

Reminds me of an old interview I saw with The Who's manager they asked him what would Keith Moon be doing if he hadn't died in 1978. His answer: "he'd be dead".

Keith Moon was never going to be old and Nick Saban was never going to be coach at MSU for a long time. If it wasn't LSU it would have been someone else
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-25, 18:52

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Reminds me of an old interview I saw with The Who's manager they asked him what would Keith Moon be doing if he hadn't died in 1978. His answer: "he'd be dead".

Keith Moon was never going to be old and Nick Saban was never going to be coach at MSU for a long time. If it wasn't LSU it would have been someone else

This. Sure we might have gone to a rosebowl but he'd be off to the NFL the following year.

Best thing saban did was give us dantonio
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2015-07-25, 19:03

Blanch32 wrote:

Agreed. Granted our admin wasn't going to commit to the football program like saban demanded nor was perles on the BOT to support his earlier vision, so its not all McPherson.

...and let's not forget that dantonio himself easily could have joined Nick but chose not to. Remember this was pre tressel at OSU. Also, love the fact that half sabans staff is old jls assistants and Bobby.

These are some good sentences, man. Proud of you
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down