Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Four Top Teams For Playoff With Your Ranking?

+5
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Death Roe
Travis of the Cosmos
DoogieHouser
9 posters

Go down

Your Four Top Teams For Playoff With Your Ranking? Empty Your Four Top Teams For Playoff With Your Ranking?

Post by DoogieHouser 2015-11-29, 11:10

1) Alabama- Didn't see the Auburn game, but it was relatively close. Hard for me to put Alabama anywhere other than #1. Physical line, tough defense. Weakness is passing game.
2) Oklahoma- From what I hear they have no weakness in each of their units. Can run, pass, and play D.
3) MSU- O line coming into it's own. D line has been tough all year. Connor Cook getting healthy. DB's seem to be straightening things out. MSU seems to be peaking at the right time.
4) Stanford- I know...two losses, but hard for me not to put them in the top 4 with their combination of physicality and athleticism.

No Clemson? Didn't impress against South Carolina, and winning a weak ACC doesn't say much. Would not be shocked if they lose to North Carolina in ACC Championship game.

No Ohio State? It's between Stanford and OSU for my fourth team. OSU clubbed um yesterday. A tough out for anybody.
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Your Four Top Teams For Playoff With Your Ranking? Empty Re: Your Four Top Teams For Playoff With Your Ranking?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-29, 11:15

There exists no circumstance in which OSU should make it. I'd sooner put North Carolina if they win or usc if they beat Stanford. Wanna make the playoff? At least have to win your division. Period.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Your Four Top Teams For Playoff With Your Ranking? Empty Re: Your Four Top Teams For Playoff With Your Ranking?

Post by DoogieHouser 2015-11-29, 11:23

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:There exists no circumstance in which OSU should make it. I'd sooner put North Carolina if they win or usc if they beat Stanford. Wanna make the playoff? At least have to win your division. Period.

OSU loses to MSU on a last second field goal in a quagmire, and beats a good um team by a million points. Stanford's got two losses and USC FOUR losses. I believe in the "eye test" but you have to have a record to back it up.
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-29, 11:27

DoogieHouser wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:There exists no circumstance in which OSU should make it. I'd sooner put North Carolina if they win or usc if they beat Stanford. Wanna make the playoff? At least have to win your division. Period.

OSU loses to MSU on a last second field goal in a quagmire, and beats a good um team by a million points. Stanford's got two losses and USC FOUR losses. I believe in the "eye test" but you have to have a record to back it up.

For me, you should have to win your conference. I realize that's not actually a rule, but I think it should be. I don't really care how the games went down, they happened. OSU had a chance, didn't capitalize, and thus should not be in.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2015-11-29, 11:34

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Iowa
4. MSU
5. Oklahoma
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-11-29, 11:44

Clemson is undefeated. Sorry but style points don't count in my book. They deserve #1.

Clemson
Bama
Oklahoma
Iowa
msu on the outside looking in. Beat Iowa they take #4
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-11-29, 11:48

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DoogieHouser wrote:

For me, you should have to win your conference. I realize that's not actually a rule, but I think it should be. I don't really care how the games went down, they happened. OSU had a chance, didn't capitalize, and thus should not be in.

Hard to disagree. It doesn't make sense to me how a team can play a very difficult game for the division championship, and be jumped by a team that did nothing that week to add to their resume.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser 2015-11-29, 11:52

steveschneider wrote:Clemson is undefeated. Sorry but style points don't count in my book. They deserve #1.

Clemson
Bama
Oklahoma
Iowa
msu on the outside looking in. Beat Iowa they take #4

Why not Iowa then? They are undefeated.
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser 2015-11-29, 12:02

steveschneider wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Hard to disagree. It doesn't make sense to me how a team can play a very difficult game for the division championship, and be jumped by a team that did nothing that week to add to their resume.

What if the 2 best teams are in the same conference? Are you saying the second best team doesn't go to the playoff because they didn't win their conference?
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser 2015-11-29, 12:05

If you went by Sagarin ratings the 4 would be 1) Oklahoma 2)Alabama 3) Ohio State 4) Clemson
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-11-29, 12:10

DoogieHouser wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

What if the 2 best teams are in the same conference? Are you saying the second best team doesn't go to the playoff because they didn't win their conference?

why reward a team that missed a very difficult championship game on a neutral site that they may very well have lost if they had qualified for it?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-11-29, 12:12

DoogieHouser wrote:If you went by Sagarin ratings the 4 would be 1) Oklahoma 2)Alabama 3) Ohio State 4) Clemson

His ratings blow. In fact his ratings top my list of things that blow.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser 2015-11-29, 13:46

steveschneider wrote:
DoogieHouser wrote:If you went by Sagarin ratings the 4 would be 1) Oklahoma 2)Alabama 3) Ohio State 4) Clemson

That's because you don't understand them.
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2015-11-29, 14:10

So who are you Doogie? We like to maintain the same usernames as TOS if possible here. Just for context.

Not required though.

In any case, welcome to tSwill.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-11-29, 14:28

Iowa - they are 12-0
Oklahoma - residual '14 Big 12 guilt
Alabama - SEC / 'Bama worship still strong
Clemson - last game vs South Carolina will hurt them

MSU@5 and a win away from joining the club at Iowa's expense.

OSU's strong showing in aa probably will get them a anew Years game at the expense of the Iowa/MSU loser.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser 2015-11-29, 14:35

DoogieHouser wrote:1) Alabama- Didn't see the Auburn game, but it was relatively close. Hard for me to put Alabama anywhere other than #1. Physical line, tough defense. Weakness is passing game.
2) Oklahoma- From what I hear they have no weakness in each of their units. Can run, pass, and play D.
3) MSU- O line coming into it's own. D line has been tough all year. Connor Cook getting healthy. DB's seem to be straightening things out. MSU seems to be peaking at the right time.
4) Stanford- I know...two losses, but hard for me not to put them in the top 4 with their combination of physicality and athleticism.

No Clemson? Didn't impress against South Carolina, and winning a weak ACC doesn't say much. Would not be shocked if they lose to North Carolina in ACC Championship game.

No Ohio State? It's between Stanford and OSU for my fourth team. OSU clubbed um yesterday. A tough out for anybody.
GRR Spartan wrote:Iowa - they are 12-0
Oklahoma - residual '14 Big 12 guilt
Alabama - SEC / 'Bama worship still strong
Clemson - last game vs South Carolina will hurt them

MSU@5 and a win away from joining the club at Iowa's expense.

OSU's strong showing in aa probably will get them a anew Years game at the expense of the Iowa/MSU loser.

538's take (likes us over Iowa):

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-field-narrows-updated-college-football-playoff-predictions-week-13/
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-11-29, 16:00

DoogieHouser wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

That's because you don't understand them.

I understand that they suck.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-11-29, 16:03

This week

1) Clemson
2) Iowa
3) MSU
4) Oklahoma

hopefully next week

1) MSU
2) Clemson
3) Oklahoma
4) Stanford
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-11-29, 17:39

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. MSU
4. Iowa

Next week:

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Alabama
4. B1G winner

I don't buy into Bama at all (the SEC is awful this year), but they'll get in with a win over Florida (which seems like a given based on Florida's offense) because the committee has bought into the SEC myth.

HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser 2015-11-29, 18:28

HT wrote:1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. MSU
4. Iowa

Next week:

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Alabama
4. B1G winner

I don't buy into Bama at all (the SEC is awful this year), but they'll get in with a win over Florida (which seems like a given based on Florida's offense) because the committee has bought into the SEC myth.

SEC West is no myth: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2015/conference/

The myth is the Big Ten Conference, particularly the Big Ten West.
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-11-29, 18:47

Alabama #1 lol.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DoogieHouser 2015-11-30, 11:22

kingstonlake wrote:Alabama #1 lol.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/rankings/2015/11/30/1-128-re-rank-fbs-alabama-clemson/76548914/
DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down