Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was this chick trying to sneak an auto-gratuity on us?

+12
Jake from State Farm
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
duffy munn
Triple Sparty
Giant Moose
tGreenWay
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
pulling69
WhiteBoyHatcher
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Was this chick trying to sneak an auto-gratuity on us? Empty Was this chick trying to sneak an auto-gratuity on us?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-12-27, 22:58

It would seem so but this still makes little sense to me. Anyone work as a server in the past that can shed some light on the shady shit they may have been trying to pull here?

Went to eat at a natty chain (Dave & Busters). 3 families. 5 adults, 6 kids. Told them they could keep everything on one bill and we'd have them split it evenly later. Food took fucking forever to come out, and when it came out, only have of it arrived correctly. The people who brought it out (not our server - btw - why the fuck do restaurants send people out to deliver food who have no idea who ordered what? Such a dumb practice) were utterly confused and delivered the 3-4 dishes that were sorta mostly correct and took the others back that weren't close. They never came back.

5-10 minutes later our server comes by to check on us and I tell her half the stuff they brought out was wrong and that we haven't heard from anybody since. She says she will go check. She comes back out two minutes later to find out exactly who is missing what. We probably cancel 2-3 orders at this point (kids not hungry after eating off of other plates, etc). Food finally comes out.

She brings the bill, and we tell her to split it 3 ways. I checked to see if they had applied an auto-grat and they hadn't. I was just curious. I wasn't necessarily going to dock her at this point as I figured there was a decent chance it was the kitchen's fault and she shouldn't have to pay for their mistakes. She's gone a long time again. She comes back apologetically and says that she screwed up and tried to split it 3 ways but when she did and ran the cards she "somehow realized" that the amount came up ~ $28 short. So she then split the $28 up 3 ways and ran a 2nd transaction on each of our cards.

Now we're confused as fuck. We look at the "original" bill, and it was straightforward. Our food + taxes = $156.30. Split 3 ways, we had 3 receipts for $52.10 each. No auto grat. So I'm thinking ok, she did an auto-grat and split it up 3 ways for the $28. But when I do the math on my phone, the ~ $28 came out to 17.9523442323%. I'm thinking that doesn't make any sense. If she was going to do an auto-grat it would be exactly 15% or 20%. Or perhaps even 17.5%. So we just say screw it, we'll sign these and not tip above and beyond. Got up to leave.

I saw her on the way out so I pulled her aside and asked nicely if she had applied an auto gratuity and if that's what the extra $28 was. I can tell in her eyes she has no idea what in the fuck I'm talking about. She asks me to take her to the table and show her, so I do. She is lost in the fucking ocean at this point. She surmises that the extra $28 was probably the charge for the food we asked to be taken off/not served after the original fuck up. Which makes no sense of course because why would they ask us to pay for food we were never served? I tell her well whatever, we signed these but didn't tip at all so figure it out. She says no problem.

WTF just happened? She was definitely too stupid to try to sneak in an 18% tip on us after surmising we would stiff her due to poor service. She lacked the brainpower to pull off a scheme of that magnitude. And would the restaurant even give her that $28 if it wasn't rung in as an automatic gratuity?

TL;DR for Nordic and anyone else - don't take your kids to eat at Dave & Busters. Don't take them there to play games either because I am guessing everyone in my house will have the flu within 24 hours.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Was this chick trying to sneak an auto-gratuity on us? Empty Re: Was this chick trying to sneak an auto-gratuity on us?

Post by pulling69 2015-12-27, 23:03

First world white person problems, thanks Obama.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Was this chick trying to sneak an auto-gratuity on us? Empty Re: Was this chick trying to sneak an auto-gratuity on us?

Post by InTenSity 2015-12-27, 23:04

why are your stories so long?

Shits brought out by a runner, if the server did it right everything is numbered. You might be 1 or 5. The food Sat under a heater. I didn't read much else.
Every server knows how to figure out their tip.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-27, 23:04

I'll give you a tip.

I'm talking about my penis.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-12-27, 23:07

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I'll give you a tip.

I'm talking about my penis.
Dude, I'd suck that. No homo. Like Blanche and dawgboy. Premium posters suck dick.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-12-27, 23:08

Not reading all that, and tl:dr made no sense. Just duct tape it, whatever the problem is.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-12-27, 23:10

TL:DR take II. They charged us an extra $28 for something that was not itemized and couldn't explain it. Denied auto-grat and I don't think it was because it was not a round number %. I'm long winded.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-12-27, 23:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:TL:DR take II. They charges us an extra $28 for something that was not itemized and couldn't explain it. Denied auto-grat and I don't think it was because it was not a round number %. I'm long winded.
What video game did you play?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-12-27, 23:12

Play a video game? lol. I played try not to lose your kids.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2015-12-27, 23:15

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Play a video game? lol. I played try not to lose your kids.
Should have played try not to lose your money to a large corporate chain that employs grifters.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-12-27, 23:15

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:TL:DR take II. They charged us an extra $28 for something that was not itemized and couldn't explain it. Denied auto-grat and I don't think it was because it was not a round number %. I'm long winded.

Duct tape it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-12-27, 23:18

Let's consult tOfficial Giant Moose tipping guidelines.

25%+ if high school or college-aged waiter and service is excellent
20% if high school or college-aged waiter and service is average
15% if older than ~30 and service is above average
10% if older than ~30 and service is average
0-5% if service is terrible regardless of age

She sounds like she was under 30, right? I think this is the rare situation where I would have tipped someone under 30 only 5%.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-12-27, 23:20

I'm bad at ages honestly. Probably 20's ish.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-27, 23:20

Giant Moose wrote:Let's consult tOfficial Giant Moose tipping guidelines.

She sounds like she was under 30, right? I think this is the rare situation where I would have tipped someone under 30 only 5%.

Your tipping guidelines make less than no sense.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-12-27, 23:20

My guess is auto-grat. Or the food you decided you didn't want. Either way, sounds like Mickey D's with romper room is a better bet next time.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-12-27, 23:23

Triple Sparty wrote:My guess is auto-grat. Or the food you decided you didn't want. Either way, sounds like Mickey D's with romper room is a better bet next time.
Nah, Chuck E. Cheese. It at least has games.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-12-27, 23:32

Do you ever go to the same place twice ? Because if you do and the server is over 30, they are spitting in your food.

And you deserve it.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-12-27, 23:32

How much did you tip on original third?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2015-12-27, 23:35

This is what restaurant managers are for, they're supposed to know what is going on and if things are effed up to comp the disgruntled customer
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-12-27, 23:35

duffy munn wrote:

Do you ever go to the same place twice ? Because if you do and the server is over 30, they are spitting in your food.

And you deserve it.
I don't live in podunk mid-Michigan like you where people remember everyone who comes in.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-12-27, 23:36

Actually Moose's system is genius because it saves money on repeat visits where waiter is older than 30. First time, above average - 15%. Next time, waiter remembers and only turns in average performance -10%. Third time, waiter pissed, below average, Moose can go get out of there at 5%.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2015-12-27, 23:37

Was it 16%? It appears they had been doing that for years

http://consumerist.com/2011/09/05/dave-busters-adds-service-charge-fails-to-inform-me-its-a-gratuity/
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-12-27, 23:38

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

And you deserve it.
I don't live in podunk mid-Michigan like you where people remember everyone who comes in.

I don't care where you live. If you are tipping 10%, they remember you.

Your age chart is a joke. It's code for I'm a cheap bastard.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-12-27, 23:39

duffy munn wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Nah, it's code for I hate seeing 30+ year olds do mindless work. Unless you are at a 5-star restaurant, it's depressing to see an older person waiting tables.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-12-27, 23:40

Triple Sparty wrote:Actually Moose's system is genius because it saves money on repeat visits where waiter is older than 30. First time, above average - 15%. Next time, waiter remembers and only turns in average performance -10%. Third time, waiter pissed, below average, Moose can go get out of there at 5%.

And he gets to eat spit. Genius !!
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-12-27, 23:40

duffy munn wrote:
Triple Sparty wrote:Actually Moose's system is genius because it saves money on repeat visits where waiter is older than 30. First time, above average - 15%. Next time, waiter remembers and only turns in average performance -10%. Third time, waiter pissed, below average, Moose can go get out of there at 5%.

Don't you own a bar? You should pay your employees more you cheapass instead of making them rely on customers.

Last edited by Giant Moose on 2015-12-27, 23:41; edited 1 time in total
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-12-27, 23:40

I feel like I deserve an 18% tip for reading all of that.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-12-27, 23:48

pulling69 wrote:Was it 16%? It appears they had been doing that for years

http://consumerist.com/2011/09/05/dave-busters-adds-service-charge-fails-to-inform-me-its-a-gratuity/

Thanks pulling. But no, it was 17.95somethingsomething %.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-12-27, 23:50

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Nah, it's code for I hate seeing 30+ year olds do mindless work. Unless you are at a 5-star restaurant, it's depressing to see an older person waiting tables.

Do you card the server ? Many of these people working their asses off to feed their kids. Ever think about that ?

Honest days work for a days pay. Not everyone is able to get a college education. Spin anyway you like. You're a cheap bastard.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-12-27, 23:52

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I know you probably got a lot of this when it was originally posted but you do understand that everyone lives under a different set of circumstances, right? Does that make sense to you?

I don't mean to insult someone like blanch but painting anything with a broad brush is....not very enlightened.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-27, 23:54

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

What about the 30+ year olds kid that also lives off of those tips? Does that depress you too, or nah?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-12-27, 23:56

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

I know you probably got a lot of this when it was originally posted but you do understand that everyone lives under a different set of circumstances, right? Does that make sense to you?

I don't mean to insult someone like blanch but painting anything with a broad brush is....not very enlightened.

Nah, if you're over 30 and waiting tables it means you're an idiot. These losers don't deserve to be compensated. I hope they wind up on the street and their children starve.

Regards,

Cheap-ass Moose
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-12-27, 23:56

Are you guys trying to reenact the opening scene from Reservoir Dogs?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2015-12-28, 00:05

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:
Aren't you a pompous ass. You can't know what someone else's circumstances are, if they have a job and do it well, what fucking difference does their age make?

I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-12-28, 00:05

You guys know tipping is not mandatory, right?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-12-28, 00:14

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Don't you own a bar? You should pay your employees more you cheapass instead of making them rely on customers.

No problem. You ok with paying 25% more for your food and beverage ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-12-28, 00:14

I like when the bill has a breakdown of the tip for certain percentages. Especially at the places where you pay via the iPad and just click the percentage of tip. But this past week I had a waitress (under thirty, average service) give me the receipt and circle the tip calculations for me. Did she think I can't do math or that I am cheap (because lowest was 15%)? I am thinking latter because my phone was on the table so I obviously would have been able to overcome any mathematical challenges.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-12-28, 00:17

Triple Sparty wrote:I like when the bill has a breakdown of the tip for certain percentages. Especially at the places where you pay via the iPad and just click the percentage of tip. But this past week I had a waitress (under thirty, average service) give me the receipt and circle the tip calculations for me. Did she think I can't do math or that I am cheap (because lowest was 15%)? I am thinking latter because my phone was on the table so I obviously would have been able to overcome any mathematical challenges.

I guess you should just stop coming off like an asshole when you're ordering and otherwise interacting with your server.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-12-28, 00:20

Not all assholes are cheap, Trav.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-12-28, 00:20

Including your momma's!
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next