Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are the Pistons retiring too many jerseys?

+10
Dr. Strangelove
Giant Moose
kingstonlake
tGreenWay
tig ol bitties
duffy munn
InTenSity
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are the Pistons retiring too many jerseys? Empty Are the Pistons retiring too many jerseys?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-02-11, 00:22

I don't really care about this but I thought it was topic worthy. And I'm not following my own advice and going to bed yet.

The Pistons have recently retired Ben Wallace's jersey and tonight they retired Chaunce Billups #1 jersey. Freep article says they will retire Rip Hamilton's jersey next (yessir).

In the modern-ish era, they have also retired jerseys for Zeke, Joe D, Vinnie, Rodman and Laimbeer.

What is your preferred stance towards jersey retirement? Is this overkill? I mean the Tigers won't even retire Tram and Lou's numbers. Vinnie Johnson?? He was the third guard in. Seems kinda weird.

I loved the 2004 Pistons but should Chauncey and Ben and Rip have their numbers in the rafters?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Are the Pistons retiring too many jerseys? Empty Re: Are the Pistons retiring too many jerseys?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-02-11, 00:24

Rip too? Fuck. I think I was okay with Big Ben and Mr. Big Shot but Isn't Rip kind of a stretch?

Unless the organization thinks that we are never going to win a world championship again, christ. Fuck that.

Too many, WBH, too many. But like you - in the long run, I don't really give a fuck. Who's next, fucking Sheed? Are the Pistons retiring too many jerseys? 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Are the Pistons retiring too many jerseys? Empty Re: Are the Pistons retiring too many jerseys?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-11, 00:25

I don't have a problem with putting names in the rafters, including rip. But, the actual retiring thing should be held for only the highest of honor. Say, Isaiah, maybe chauncey or Ben. Probably Ben. At a certain point retiring a number loses its meaning if there are too many of them. (See, Celtics, Boston for more information.)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-02-11, 00:27

They have 100 numbers to choose from.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-02-11, 00:30

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't have a problem with putting names in the rafters, including rip. But, the actual retiring thing should be held for only the highest of honor. Say, Isaiah, maybe chauncey or Ben. Probably Ben. At a certain point retiring a number loses its meaning if there are too many of them. (See, Celtics, Boston for more information.)

I agree Travis.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-02-11, 00:31

Gut says only for hall of fame caliber guys. To me that's probably Zeke and Joe. Remember in basketball hof is entire body of work. Not just player stats.

Worm is a hof but probably 65% of his body of hof work was in a bulls or spurs jersey.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-02-11, 00:33

Numbers 21, 11 and 16 belong in the rafters. After that, none of the rest really do.

Guys like Laimbeer, Dumars, Vinnie and now Ben and Chauncy were great players that won Championships but none of them are Hall of Famers.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-02-11, 00:34

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Gut says only for hall of fame caliber guys. To me that's probably Zeke and Joe. Remember in basketball hof is entire body of work. Not just player stats.

Worm is a hof but probably 65% of his body of hof work was in a bulls or spurs jersey.

Is Dumars in the Hall ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-11, 00:34

InTenSity wrote:They have 100 numbers to choose from.

I'm not worried about them running out of numbers... But at a certain point, when you've got Vinnie Johnson and Rip Hamilton up there, what does it even mean?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tig ol bitties 2016-02-11, 00:35

gotta get folks in the building somehow
tig ol bitties
tig ol bitties
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-11, 00:36

Ben is tied for the record for most defensive player of the year awards. That's pretty amazing. I would absolutely defend him being retired. He's not yet in the hall of fame, but he probably should be. (And this isn't baseball, so who really gives a shit about the hall of fame anyway?)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-02-11, 00:46

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

I'm not worried about them running out of numbers... But at a certain point, when you've got Vinnie Johnson and Rip Hamilton up there, what does it even mean?

Are the Pistons retiring too many jerseys? 8ig-data-4
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-11, 01:14

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Rip too? Fuck. I think I was okay with Big Ben and Mr. Big Shot but Isn't Rip kind of a stretch?

Unless the organization thinks that we are never going to win a world championship again, christ. Fuck that.

Too many, WBH, too many. But like you - in the long run, I don't really give a fuck. Who's next, fucking Sheed? Are the Pistons retiring too many jerseys? 502811600

And let's get to James Edwards, too. Aw hell, let's just retire everyone's numbers.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-11, 01:19

They won't run out of numbers, but they will run out of cool numbers. No free agents will want to sign with Detroit if they're going to be assigned to number 57. I can even envision some college players opting to sit an entire year if they end up a Pistons' draft choice--just to avoid getting number 37.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-02-11, 01:20

tGreenWay wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Rip too? Fuck. I think I was okay with Big Ben and Mr. Big Shot but Isn't Rip kind of a stretch?

And let's get to James Edwards, too. Aw hell, let's just retire everyone's numbers.

Next thing you know, tSwill will retire Travis' avatar.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2016-02-11, 06:26

Rip before Wallace. Hands down
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-11, 06:50

I don't think so. Retiring the best players on championship teams seems fine.

The only thing I find strange is retiring #2 for Chuck Daly winning 2 titles. Put his name up there, sure, but a little odd to give a coach a number.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-11, 07:01

I'm also glad they didn't retire Grant Hill's number. I feel like a lesser franchise might have.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-11, 07:10

duffy munn wrote:Guys like Laimbeer, Dumars, Vinnie and now Ben and Chauncy were great players that won Championships but none of them are Hall of Famers.
I think all of those players deserve it, but especially #4. The NBA named the sportsmanship trophy after him. That's a pretty high honor.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-11, 07:32

Tay.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-02-11, 07:32

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't have a problem with putting names in the rafters, including rip. But, the actual retiring thing should be held for only the highest of honor. Say, Isaiah, maybe chauncey or Ben. Probably Ben. At a certain point retiring a number loses its meaning if there are too many of them. (See, Celtics, Boston for more information.)

When you win 17 championships you have a number of HoF'ers to choose from to retire their number.

Celts not in HoF but that have number retired:
JoJo White
Reggie Lewis
Jim Loscutoff
Cedric Maxwell
Don Nelson

http://www.nba.com/celtics/history/retired-numbers
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-02-11, 08:11

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

When you win 17 championships you have a number of HoF'ers to choose from to retire their number.

JoJo White
Reggie Lewis
Jim Loscutoff
Cedric Maxwell
Don Nelson

Cornbread Maxwell, really ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-11, 08:13

duffy munn wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:

JoJo White
Reggie Lewis
Jim Loscutoff
Cedric Maxwell
Don Nelson

Made it on the nickname and a really good NCAA Tourney.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-02-11, 08:23

duffy munn wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:

JoJo White
Reggie Lewis
Jim Loscutoff
Cedric Maxwell
Don Nelson

Totally agree on Cornbread skepticism but in his defense he was the Finals mvp in 81 and has done radio for them forever.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2016-02-11, 08:38

I don't get the retiring numbers thing. Just retire jerseys. Here the jersey Chauncey wore and its in the rafters now. Let others guys use the number and if they're good enough, retire that jersey as well with the same number on it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2016-02-11, 09:11

I will be on a hunger strike until Olden Polynice's number hits the rafters.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-11, 09:20

By-Tor wrote:I will be on a hunger strike until Olden Polynice's number hits the rafters.

It was nice knowing you.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-02-11, 09:37

Olden might just outfit himself as a Palace security guard and raise his own jersey to the roof if someone isn't keeping close enough tabs on him.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-11, 10:25

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Pitiful. tSwill will do whatever it takes to being in posters. I also have it on good authority that Travis is funneling money to the right people in order to get his avatar retired.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-02-11, 10:44

I had a thought about the Spartan Football and retiring jersey #'s. Have the Spartans done enough?

Is it time to start retiring jerseys from the 70's and 80's? Gibson, Rison, White, Banks and Snow?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-11, 10:46

tGreenWay wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Pitiful. tSwill will do whatever it takes to being in posters. I also have it on good authority that Travis is funneling money to the right people in order to get his avatar retired.

It's gonna happen and it's gonna be glorious
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2016-02-11, 11:17

Brooke Steppe. WHERES THAT MOTHER FUCKERS RETIREMENT party.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-02-11, 11:37

tGreenWay wrote:

Are the Pistons retiring too many jerseys? 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-11, 11:44

tGreenWay wrote:

Under my watch there will never be a Travis avatar retirement ceremony. In fact I will actively work towards limiting his presence here at tSwill. A better Swill, a better America.

#RideThePylon2016
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-11, 11:47

Can we still nominate stuff to be voted on? Someone should nominate Travis' avatar to be retired. I would but I'm bad luck at nominating.

Last edited by Giant Moose on 2016-02-11, 11:49; edited 1 time in total
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-11, 11:49

Giant Moose wrote:Can we still nominate stuff to be voting on? Someone should nominate Travis' avatar to be retired. I would but I'm bad luck at nominating.

This is literally the worst post ever.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-11, 11:50

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:Can we still nominate stuff to be voting on? Someone should nominate Travis' avatar to be retired. I would but I'm bad luck at nominating.

This is literally the worst post ever.
Sorry, I fixed the weird grammar mistake I made. Are the Pistons retiring too many jerseys? 502811600
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-11, 11:59

Giant Moose wrote:Can we still nominate stuff to be voted on? Someone should nominate Travis' avatar to be retired. I would but I'm bad luck at nominating.

Can someone please nominate this? I don't think it's appropriate that I do it. But I also feel that it's necessary.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-11, 12:42

Giant Moose wrote:Can we still nominate stuff to be voted on? Someone should nominate Travis' avatar to be retired. I would but I'm bad luck at nominating.

Can someone please nominate this? I don't think it's appropriate that I do it. But I also feel that it's necessary.

Wait, if your avatar gets retired does that mean you can't post here anymore? I could get behind that.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-11, 12:45

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Wait, if your avatar gets retired does that mean you can't post here anymore? I could get behind that.

Start it up then Pylon.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next