Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Tom Izzo make his 8th Final Four this year?

+10
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
steveschneider
Ass Dan
Death Roe
duffy munn
NigelUno
DWags
Giant Moose
DoogieHouser
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Can Tom Izzo make his 8th Final Four this year? Empty Can Tom Izzo make his 8th Final Four this year?

Post by DoogieHouser 2016-02-17, 06:48

Michigan State's odds are up to 28.5%. Bracketology projections: https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/michigan-st-spartans/bracketology/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=20160216_02&utm_campaign=2016_Q1

DoogieHouser
DoogieHouser
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Can Tom Izzo make his 8th Final Four this year? Empty Re: Can Tom Izzo make his 8th Final Four this year?

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-17, 07:19

If he does, he could start out 1 for 8 in Final Fours just like Dean Smith did. That is rare air.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Can Tom Izzo make his 8th Final Four this year? Empty Re: Can Tom Izzo make his 8th Final Four this year?

Post by DWags 2016-02-17, 07:23

Giant Moose wrote:If he does, he could start out 1 for 8 in Final Fours just like Dean Smith did. That is rare air.

Would you say he settled?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-02-17, 07:25

Doogie. Check.
Moose. Check.

Still waiting on:

The Dude
Vlad
Bob

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-02-17, 07:26

Giant Moose wrote:If he does, he could start out 1 for 8 in Final Fours just like Dean Smith did. That is rare air.

Are there any other options? (That you could diminish somehow in advance.)
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-02-17, 07:47

Arguably the most storied program in B1G history has been to eight final fours, all-time.

PS. I already know where Moose is going with this.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-02-17, 07:48

NigelUno wrote:Doogie. Check.
Moose. Check.

Still waiting on:

The Dude
Vlad
Bob

To be fair, Bob doesn't punch in for about an hour.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-17, 07:53

duffy munn wrote:Arguably the most storied program in B1G history has been to eight final fours, all-time.

PS. I already know where Moose is going  with this.
Awesome way to downplay IU. I suppose Ohio State is the best program in B1G history for going to 11 (10*) of them. jocolor
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-02-17, 08:19

Projected 2 seed. Nice.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-02-17, 08:34

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:Arguably the most storied program in B1G history has been to eight final fours, all-time.

PS. I already know where Moose is going  with this.
Awesome way to downplay IU. I suppose Ohio State is the best program in B1G history for going to 11 (10*) of them. jocolor

Not down playing IU at all. Just stating a fact that 8 Final Fours in a programs history is pretty damn good. Now one coach has a chance to do it in 20 years. I know it's not nearly enough for you but it's amazing.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2016-02-17, 08:34

FOD
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-02-17, 10:45

Has a great shot to win his second championship if you ask me. I think if we have refs in the tournament that allow the teams to play physical we are going far.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-17, 10:52

duffy munn wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Not down playing IU at all. Just stating a fact that 8 Final Fours in a programs history is pretty damn good. Now one coach has a chance to do it in 20 years. I know it's not nearly enough for you but it's amazing.

8 Final Fours and a national title in 21 seasons would be pretty damn good, but I know a guy who won 3 national titles and went to 9 Final Fours in his first 21 years at a school. It really puts things in perspective.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-17, 11:09

Giant Moose wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

8 Final Fours and a national title in 21 seasons would be pretty damn good, but I know a guy who won 3 national titles and went to 9 Final Fours in his first 21 years at a school. It really puts things in perspective.

1. How many guys do you know with that track record? Just one?

2. How many other "elite" programs are equal to all those guys you know who have that outstanding record and where do they fall in line under him?

3. If our guy is #2 or 3 on that list, is that like settling for an inferior education based on money?

Tia.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-17, 11:09

DWags wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

2. How many other "elite" programs are equal to all those guys you know who have that outstanding record and where do they fall in line under him?

3. If our guy is #2 or 3 on that list, is that like settling for an inferior education based on money?

Tia.

Whhhhhhhhhy
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-17, 11:11

Moose. Check.

Still waiting on:

The Dude
Vlad
Bob

Absolutely.

and I'll be there wearing my MSU t-shirt when he does.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-17, 11:13

duffy munn wrote:
Moose. Check.

Still waiting on:

The Dude
Vlad
Bob

To be fair, Bob doesn't punch in for about an hour.
sorry man... don't mean to disappoint.

I was busy this morning.. just had a PBR and shoveled the driveway. Hope my absence didn't create anxiety.

If it did, my thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-17, 11:14

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DWags wrote:

Tia.

Whhhhhhhhhy

Why not? Fuck em.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-17, 11:15

DWags wrote:

Whhhhhhhhhy

Why not? Fuck em.

I guess I'm more of a "just don't bother with the argument" type of guy. Do yo thang.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-17, 11:18

DWags wrote:

Why not? Fuck em.

I guess I'm more of a "just don't bother with the argument" type of guy. Do yo thang.

And I agree, but I'm bored. I'm letting the elementary music aficionados go. I've said my piece about that. I'm done with that drivel. It's a process with me. I need to work on it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-17, 11:31

DWags wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

1. How many guys do you know with that track record?  Just one?  

2.  How many other "elite" programs are equal to all those guys you know who have that outstanding record and where do they fall in line under him?

3.  If our guy is #2 or 3 on that list, is that like settling for an inferior education based on money?

Tia.

It's difficult to have this conversation with you and duffy because you both value Final Fours more than most people. You'll argue that those 7 Final Fours and a title that Izzo has in 21 years mean so much more than the multiple national championships guys like Coach K, Roy Williams and Denny Crum had in their first 21. Those guys had a lot of Final Fours, too, and actually win it at decent rates.

Also, this is the second time on this board I've seen you go after someone for choosing to go to school at Michigan State and calling it inferior. You are a Walverine to the core. It's sick.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-17, 11:36

Giant Moose wrote:
DWags wrote:

2.  How many other "elite" programs are equal to all those guys you know who have that outstanding record and where do they fall in line under him?

3.  If our guy is #2 or 3 on that list, is that like settling for an inferior education based on money?

Tia.

It's difficult to have this conversation with you and duffy because you both value Final Fours more than most people. You'll argue that those 7 Final Fours and a title that Izzo has in 21 years mean so much more than the multiple national championships guys like Coach K, Roy Williams and Denny Crum had in their first 21. Those guys had a lot of Final Fours, too, and actually win it at decent rates.

Also, this is the second time on this board I've seen you go after someone for choosing to go to school at Michigan State and calling it inferior. You are a Walverine to the core. It's sick.
is there an equation for participation banners to National Championships?

like 3.5 participation banners = .8 national championships??
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-17, 11:37

Giant Moose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Tia.

Does it suck when someone goes after your school? Make you upset? Really?

Can Tom Izzo make his 8th Final Four this year? 502811600

You dumb.

Sorry Travis, but I knew dumb ass would say that sooner or later. I'm done now.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-02-17, 11:39

Giant Moose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Tia.

You really looked up Denny Crum's first 21 years as a coach?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-17, 11:41

the problem is that anyone who has a better record than Izzo is a cheater.

I demand that the NCAA look into these programs as it reflects poorly on me and my t-shirt collection.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-02-17, 11:43

UPDATE

Doogie. Check.
Moose. Check.
Bob. Check.

Still waiting on:

The Dude
Vlad
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-17, 11:47

NigelUno wrote:UPDATE

Doogie. Check.
Moose. Check.
Bob. Check.

Still waiting on:

The Dude
Vlad
man, I love me some Final Four banners.. Can Tom Izzo make his 8th Final Four this year? 3493939353 Can Tom Izzo make his 8th Final Four this year? 3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-17, 11:49

NigelUno wrote:UPDATE

Doogie. Check.
Moose. Check.
Bob. Check.

Still waiting on:

The Dude
Vlad

Tacos. Good call. Like moths to a flame.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-17, 11:56

Robert J Sakimano wrote:the problem is that anyone who has a better record than Izzo is a cheater.

I demand that the NCAA look into these programs as it reflects poorly on me and my t-shirt collection.

It's just I'm told over and over to enjoy Izzo because no one can ever do what he's done, and then I can find several coaches who have done it and more and people get mad.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-02-17, 11:57

Giant Moose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:the problem is that anyone who has a better record than Izzo is a cheater.

It's just I'm told over and over to enjoy Izzo because no one can ever do what he's done, and then I can find several coaches who have done it and more and people get mad.

He is one of the best ever. Isn't that good enough for you?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-02-17, 11:58

Giant Moose wrote:

You should come up with more scenarios in which MSU loses in the future and how that makes other coaches look better. Those are great, and a clear indication that you're not in need of some kind of psych eval.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-17, 11:59

NigelUno wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Sure, why not? He's one of the legends.

Izzo always gets called this program builder but he came into a program that already had a title. Crum didn't. Coach K didn't. But don't you dare bring them up because Izzo's Final Fours trump multiple national titles.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-17, 12:00

Giant Moose wrote:

MSU fans are a touchy bunch, for sure.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-02-17, 12:06

Giant Moose wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Izzo always gets called this program builder but he came into a program that already had a title. Crum didn't. Coach K didn't. But don't you dare bring them up because Izzo's Final Fours trump multiple national titles.

Why would something MSU won in 1979 (with one of the greatest basketball players ever) have any impact on what Izzo has accomplished (starting in 1995)? Was there some sort of carry over effect 16 years later?

That thought is idiotic.

Izzo is recognized as one of the greatest coaches (by many people/peers). That you fail to recognize that means you're just trolling or an idiot, or both.

Stop making up straw man arguments. Stop being an idiot. Stop creating scenarios in which MSU loses in the future, so you can compare it to some other coach. It just makes you look like an insecure moron.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-17, 12:07

Rocinante wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

He is one of the best ever.  Isn't that good enough for you?
There are 14 guys with multiple national championships. He's not part of that group. He still has some time, so hopefully he can get there.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-02-17, 12:10

Giant Moose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

There are 14 guys with multiple national championships. He's not part of that group. He still has some time, so hopefully he can get there.

So...it's not good enough for you? You didn't really address that.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-17, 12:10

NigelUno wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Why would something MSU won in 1979 (with one of the greatest basketball players ever) have any impact on what Izzo has accomplished (starting in 1995)? Was there some sort of carry over effect 16 years later?

That thought is idiotic.

Izzo is recognized as one of the greatest coaches (by many people/peers). That you fail to recognize that means you're just trolling or an idiot, or both.

Stop making up straw man arguments. Stop being an idiot. Stop creating scenarios in which MSU loses in the future, so you can compare it to some other coach. It just makes you look like an insecure moron.
Don't be ridiculous. Magic being part of the program helps MSU hoops. If he didn't matter why do we still bring him around 35 years later?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-17, 12:12

NigelUno wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

So...it's not good enough for you? You didn't really address that.
I think it's time for him to win another championship. He'll have until he retires to do so. If he doesn't, then no, he wasn't one of the all-time greats in my opinion.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-17, 12:13

Giant Moose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

yeah... but...

what the hell is the matter with you and how do I break this news to my t-shirt collection?!?!
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-02-17, 12:14

Giant Moose wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

That thought is idiotic.

Don't be ridiculous. Magic being part of the program helps MSU hoops. If he didn't matter why do we still bring him around 35 years later?

It helps us win games? And that discounts what Izzo has accomplished?

So...Jordan helps UNC win games? And that diminishes what Roy has accomplished?

Please advise.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next