Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cook way off target early

+10
DWags
Nordic
InTenSity
The_Dude
NigelUno
kingstonlake
The Pantry
duffy munn
Giant Moose
Vlad
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cook way off target early - Page 2 Empty Re: Cook way off target early

Post by tanfan! Sun 28 Feb 2016 - 11:05

InTenSity wrote:
Tanfan! wrote:

I don't think he is trolling, I think he is just stating the obvious and other writers have stated the same thing. Cook is not 100%.
When there are other MSU players doing well and you focus only on the negative, that's trolling. Personally, I don't really care, instead of watching the combine I was golfing and then had neighbors over for dinner.

I read he is going better in the afternoon. So, keep it up Cook
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 28 Feb 2016 - 11:06

Two of of four now have. Waiting for dude and Vlad. Cook way off target early - Page 2 502811600

Fish barrel.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Sun 28 Feb 2016 - 11:07

DWags wrote:Two of of four now have. Waiting for dude and Vlad. Cook way off target early - Page 2 502811600

Fish barrel.
The four of us should put on Nebraska gear and start kicking you. Cook way off target early - Page 2 502811600
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 28 Feb 2016 - 11:11

"Four of us". He knows. Cook way off target early - Page 2 502811600

Too easy.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun 28 Feb 2016 - 11:12

Giant Moose OS the MSU of Final 4s.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun 28 Feb 2016 - 11:12

Is
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad Sun 28 Feb 2016 - 12:04

I love posting here. You guys are the best! Cook way off target early - Page 2 502811600
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon 29 Feb 2016 - 12:32

So, did Bosa hurt himself with bad numbers or does his on field resume count and is he still first round?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon 29 Feb 2016 - 12:39

DWags wrote:So, did Bosa hurt himself with bad numbers or does his on field resume count and is he still first round?

He seems to think he should go #1 overall. Didn't run fast enough for that. He'll go 1st Round...probably Top 6.

Cook seems to be slotted as the #4 QB off the board...same as he was before the Combine.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Mon 29 Feb 2016 - 17:46

Giant Moose wrote:I feel bad for him. It seems the injury was much worse than we thought. Might have been worth starting O'Connor in the Cotton looking back on it.

This is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read on this board.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon 29 Feb 2016 - 17:51

DWags wrote:So, did Bosa hurt himself with bad numbers or does his on field resume count and is he still first round?

If the field resume doesn't include tape from games against MSU, Oregon, Alabama, Wisconsin and Notre Dame... he should be just fine.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 1 Mar 2016 - 23:38

Vlad wrote:Anyone watching? Damn! Shocked

Really want this kid to have a good showing. Those short outs to the sidelines were not pretty.  Receiver couldn't even get a finger on the balls.

Burbridge looks fairly good. Clocked a 4.58. Looks to be in the upper half of the receiving group.

Holy crap. I'm not even sure why I'm bumping this, but I just started watching my DVR of the QBs at the combine.

The first drill the QBs were instructed to throw the ball far outside "to force the receiver to stretch for it". The QBs were told to intentionally throw it wide. This was a WR drill, not a QB drill.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 0:12

Nordic wrote:

Really want this kid to have a good showing. Those short outs to the sidelines were not pretty.  Receiver couldn't even get a finger on the balls.

Burbridge looks fairly good. Clocked a 4.58. Looks to be in the upper half of the receiving group.

Holy crap. I'm not even sure why I'm bumping this, but I just started watching my DVR of the QBs at the combine.

The first drill the QBs were instructed to throw the ball far outside "to force the receiver to stretch for it". The QBs were told to intentionally throw it wide. This was a WR drill, not a QB drill.

Cook way off target early - Page 2 1966794946 Cook way off target early - Page 2 1966794946 Cook way off target early - Page 2 1966794946
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 9:20

Nordic wrote:

Holy crap.  I'm not even sure why I'm bumping this, but I just started watching my DVR of the QBs at the combine.  

The first drill the QBs were instructed to throw the ball far outside "to force the receiver to stretch for it".  The QBs were told to intentionally throw it wide.  This was a WR drill, not a QB drill.

And? You didn't finish the rest of the story. Were the QBs instructed to throw the passes so wide that the receivers couldn't even make a play on the ball? Because that's what Cook did.

Anyway… This is not really a debate anymore. The reports out of that day pretty much confirmed that his accuracy was an issue. Golic said as much Monday morning on Mike and Mike.  And it's not really a surprise to us, we already know that accuracy is not always his strong suit.  Coming off of the shoulder injury, you wouldn't expect his accuracy to have improved.

Hoping for the best for the kid, but his Saturday could've gone better.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640517/article/jared-goff-heads-combine-risers-noah-spence-connor-cook-fall
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 10:03

Vlad wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Holy crap.  I'm not even sure why I'm bumping this, but I just started watching my DVR of the QBs at the combine.  

The first drill the QBs were instructed to throw the ball far outside "to force the receiver to stretch for it".  The QBs were told to intentionally throw it wide.  This was a WR drill, not a QB drill.

And? You didn't finish the rest of the story. Were the QBs instructed to throw the passes so wide that the receivers couldn't even make a play on the ball? Because that's what Cook did.

Anyway… This is not really a debate anymore. The reports out of that day pretty much confirmed that his accuracy was an issue. Golic said as much Monday morning on Mike and Mike.  And it's not really a surprise to us, we already know that accuracy is not always his strong suit.  Coming off of the shoulder injury, you wouldn't expect his accuracy to have improved.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640517/article/jared-goff-heads-combine-risers-noah-spence-connor-cook-fall

Cook was a great QB at MSU no doubt. Actually one of the best ever to play in the B1G when you look at accomplishments.

But his career completion % is not all that good. But he's Stafford like--needs to be ripping the ball downfield not be a dink and dunk guy.

Also really sucks he got injured like he did to his freaking throwing shoulder.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 10:34

The_Dude wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Cook was a great QB at MSU no doubt. Actually one of the best ever to play in the B1G when you look at accomplishments.

But his career completion % is not all that good. But he's Stafford like--needs to be ripping the ball downfield not be a dink and dunk guy.

Agree. Completion percentage can be explained by the higher percentage of downfield throws. One of the draft analysts mentioned this on Saturday, so it was good hear that people understand the reason behind the low completion percentage.

If he doesn't get drafted in the first two rounds, he'll just have to work his way up like Cousins did. That shoulder will eventually heal, but he IS going to have to improve his accuracy on the routine throws. He's that rare QB who actually does better on the more difficult passes than on the routine ones.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 10:45

The_Dude wrote:
Vlad wrote:

QB #1.    55% completion at MSU  35 TD's   23 INT's  6160 yards 121 rating.

QB #2      58% completion at MSU 71 TD's    22 INT's  9194 yards 139 rating

QB  #3     64 % Completion at MSU 66 TD's    30 INTS. 9130 yards 146 rating

Two of those guys are starters in the NFL.   If you can use a first or second round choice to get yourself a starter at QB in the NFL, you do it.  One of those guys above is going to get paid 20 million dollars a year next year.  

Will Cook be that good in the NFL?  Who knows.   He comes from a program which prepares QB's for the next level.  Cook has won more than the other two up there also and has led us to three straight top 6 and above finishes.

The NFL draft is a chess game too.  It's a game that many GM's will plant stories and and try to get into a position to get who they feel they need.   Cook has more size and speed than Cousins and Hoyer, he definitely has more balls.    Guy is a gamer.  

I'd be shocked if he's not taken before the  5th pick of the second round.   Especially with the pedigree of MSU QB's lately.   What amazes me is that a guy like Manning can say he feels like he wants to come back for another year and you have teams like the rams willing to open up their check books.  If Favre said I'm coming back out of retirement, he'd get a taker.   Why that amazes me is that it tells me how fricken impossible that job is.  There just aren't that many people who can do it, and teams are desperate for those who can.  Guys like Rothlesberger Rodgers Brady Wilson are freaks of nature.   That job takes not only physical skills but a mental toughness that is crazy. I know there are second string NFL QB's who have better arms and better accuracy than Big Ben, or Brady or Wilson or even Rodgers, but they see and feel shit that others just can't.  

Does Cook have that?  If you were a team like Cleeland, or the Jets or Jacksonville or a ton of teams would you take a chance on Cook?  I've given examples where I think he's just shown balls to the wall.   That drive after the int against Stanford.  That last drive against Baylor with two fourth down passes and the game winner.  That drive against TCU as a first time player.   I'm sure you guys could come up with more.  But it seems to me he has "it", out on the field.   How do you measure that?  I guess by what he's shown in big games on big stages.   Don't know.  

Lets see what happens here.   I don't think any NFL team drafts him without 15 MRI reports on his shoulder.  I'm betting that is way more important to him than any "leadership" issue.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 11:13

DWags wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Two of those guys are starters in the NFL.   If you can use a first or second round choice to get yourself a starter at QB in the NFL, you do it.  One of those guys above is going to get paid 20 million dollars a year next year.  

Will Cook be that good in the NFL?  Who knows.   He comes from a program which prepares QB's for the next level.  Cook has won more than the other two up there also and has led us to three straight top 6 and above finishes.

The NFL draft is a chess game too.  It's a game that many GM's will plant stories and and try to get into a position to get who they feel they need.   Cook has more size and speed than Cousins and Hoyer, he definitely has more balls.    Guy is a gamer.  

I'd be shocked if he's not taken before the  5th pick of the second round.   Especially with the pedigree of MSU QB's lately.   What amazes me is that a guy like Manning can say he feels like he wants to come back for another year and you have teams like the rams willing to open up their check books.  If Favre said I'm coming back out of retirement, he'd get a taker.   Why that amazes me is that it tells me how fricken impossible that job is.  There just aren't that many people who can do it, and teams are desperate for those who can.  Guys like Rothlesberger Rodgers Brady Wilson are freaks of nature.   That job takes not only physical skills but a mental toughness that is crazy. I know there are second string NFL QB's who have better arms and better accuracy than Big Ben, or Brady or Wilson or even Rodgers, but they see and feel shit that others just can't.  

Does Cook have that?  If you were a team like Cleeland, or the Jets or Jacksonville or a ton of teams would you take a chance on Cook?  I've given examples where I think he's just shown balls to the wall.   That drive after the int against Stanford.  That last drive against Baylor with two fourth down passes and the game winner.  That drive against TCU as a first time player.   I'm sure you guys could come up with more.  But it seems to me he has "it", out on the field.   How do you measure that?  I guess by what he's shown in big games on big stages.   Don't know.  

Lets see what happens here.   I don't think any NFL team drafts him without 15 MRI reports on his shoulder.  I'm betting that is way more important to him than any "leadership" issue.

Agree, mostly. But accuracy is extremely important at the next level, and that has never been his strong suit. Even in that Baylor drive at the end, his throws on first and second down were almost in the 2nd row, before he threw the perfect strike to Mumphry. But he's made big plays after big plays throught his career! You always feel like you've got a chance with him.

The leadership thing doesn't bother me at all, as NFL owners have shown they're willing to take talent over behavior (not I believe there are any behavior issues with Cook).
But it's too bad that he was put in that situation. The players fucked that up, and we've already had that debate.

The MRI report will be the key. The pro day will also be important. (When is that?)
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 11:45

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

Agree, mostly. But accuracy is extremely important at the next level, and that has never been his strong suit. Even in that Baylor drive at the end, his throws on first and second down were almost in the 2nd row, before he threw the perfect strike to Mumphry. But he's made big plays after big plays throught his career! You always feel like you've got a chance with him.

The leadership thing doesn't bother me at all, as NFL owners have shown they're willing to take talent over behavior (not I believe there are any behavior issues with Cook).
But it's too bad that he was put in that situation. The players fucked that up, and we've already had that debate.

The MRI report will be the key. The pro day will also be important. (When is that?)

Looks like March 16th. I wonder if he needed an operation and we didn't know about it. I'm sure they've made the best decision for him, but if it's not healed by March 16th, something is really wrong.

Pro days NFL 2016
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 12:35

Vlad wrote:But accuracy is extremely important at the next level, and that has never been his strong suit.

Agree and this is Cook's biggest problem heading into his NFL career.  Cook has a career ~57% completion percentage.  Which would put him near the bottom of current NFL QBs.  NFL QBs are hitting 60+% of their passes.  This is why Goff is the NFL poster boy in this draft. He is very accurate.  Cook will need to improve on this if he is going to make it.

That said Cook has qualities that no other QBs in this draft have.  One is oddly being able to fit passes in tight windows, which is counter to the above, but true.  He can throw the mid-range sideline route (out, fade or back shoulder) probably better than anybody in this draft class (not going to pretend I've seen everyone play).  And he flat out finds ways to win.  Something I've seen Goff fail to do a number of times at Cal.  You can't put it all on the QB, but I watched a number of tight Cal games where he didn't deliver in the end.

To the comments above about the first set of passing drills. Yes the QBs were instructed to purposely be off target and wide to see if WRs could stretch/reach for balls on the sideline while dragging their feet.  A number of QBs just threw balls that were easy to catch the coach corrected them.  Cook at least followed instructions. Now if you want to get into a circular Nigel-type argument on the specific definition/interpretation of wide and off target, I'm not doing it.  I'm not going to judge his performance in a drill where he was supposed to throw off target.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 13:33

Nordic wrote:
Vlad wrote:But accuracy is extremely important at the next level, and that has never been his strong suit.

Agree and this is Cook's biggest problem heading into his NFL career.  Cook has a career ~57% completion percentage.  Which would put him near the bottom of current NFL QBs.  NFL QBs are hitting 60+% of their passes.  This is why Goff is the NFL poster boy in this draft. He is very accurate.  Cook will need to improve on this if he is going to make it.

That said Cook has qualities that no other QBs in this draft have.  One is oddly being able to fit passes in tight windows, which is counter to the above, but true.  He can throw the mid-range sideline route (out, fade or back shoulder) probably better than anybody in this draft class (not going to pretend I've seen everyone play).  And he flat out finds ways to win.  Something I've seen Goff fail to do a number of times at Cal.  You can't put it all on the QB, but I watched a number of tight Cal games where he didn't deliver in the end.

To the comments above about the first set of passing drills. Yes the QBs were instructed to purposely be off target and wide to see if WRs could stretch/reach for balls on the sideline while dragging their feet.  A number of QBs just threw balls that were easy to catch the coach corrected them.  Cook at least followed instructions. Now if you want to get into a circular Nigel-type argument on the specific definition/interpretation of wide and off target, I'm not doing it.  I'm not going to judge his performance in a drill where he was supposed to throw off target.

Hoyer's numbers were worse than Cooks. The patriots, however, and maybe it's the new lions guy, but somebody in the organization, watched enough film to see that the 55% completion percentage was probably not accurate. Tons of dropped balls by the MSU receivers they claimed. So, in Belichick form, they waited, knowing nobody would take him. Solid move. With Cook, I have also noticed he can sail some passes. To anybody who has ever coached a QB, many times passes are high if the QB is very pumped or excited. Start of the game and big drives etc. I think against Baylor, after Cook threw a shitty pass, he was very excited he was going to have a shot at winning the game. In that last drive he did sail some passes over peoples heads.

To your point and what's weird about Cook, it does seem in the toughest of times in the most pressuized of circumstances he is able to step up and deliver more than he fails. I don't get that either. Maybe that's the "it" people look for. In the NFL if he makes a bad throw, however, it's not going to be as forgiving as college is. Again, he his TD to INT rate is better than two QB's who are starters in the NFL that played under Dantonio.

I don't know shit about shit when it comes to drafting, but if I was kind of the Rams, or of Cleveland, or of Jacksonville or some others, I'd go a 1st or 2nd on Cook. His upside seems very good and professional coaches have egos where they believe they can teach accuracy and velocity. Also remember it will be 40-50 hours a week of football and not 20. I think there will be teams who will definitely take a chance in the first two rounds. Who knows.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 14:01

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Hoyer's numbers were worse than Cooks.  The patriots, however, and maybe it's the new lions guy, but somebody in the organization, watched enough film to see that the 55% completion percentage was probably not accurate.  Tons of dropped balls by the MSU receivers they claimed.  So, in Belichick form, they waited, knowing nobody would take him.   Solid move.  With Cook, I have also noticed he can sail some passes.  To anybody who has ever coached a QB, many times passes are high if the QB is very pumped or excited.  Start of the game and big drives etc.  I think against Baylor, after Cook threw a shitty pass, he was very excited he was going to have a shot at winning the game.  In that last drive he did sail some passes over peoples heads.  

To your point and what's weird about Cook, it does seem in the toughest of times in the most pressuized of circumstances he is able to step up and deliver more than he fails.   I don't get that either.  Maybe that's the "it" people look for.  In the NFL if he makes a bad throw, however, it's not going to be as forgiving as college is.  Again, he his TD to INT rate is better than two QB's who are starters in the NFL that played under Dantonio.

I don't know shit about shit when it comes to drafting, but if I was kind of the Rams, or of Cleveland, or of Jacksonville or some others, I'd go a 1st or 2nd on Cook.   His upside seems very good and professional coaches have egos where they believe they can teach accuracy and velocity.    Also remember it will be 40-50 hours a week of football and not 20.    I think there will be teams who will definitely take a chance in the first two rounds.  Who knows.  

Can't disagree with any of this.  I'm always a bit shocked when I see Cook's Comp % because he hits so many big throws. But if I'm playing GM and trying to find a fault, that would be the first thing I would look into (not the Captaincy BS).

I don't know that Cook has had more drops than any other college QB.  The Maxwell year and the beginning of Cook's first year were awful with drops.  But Lippett and Burbridge  caught a lot of balls that they probably should not of the last couple of years.

Maybe NFL QB #s are higher because there of better receivers/different schemes.  No idea. But he won't survive at his current completion rate.

Kid is a baller, has an-NFL arm/size and wins. I'll take my chances on him and figure on the compl % details.  I'm not buying that he won't get drafted by early 2nd round at the latest.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 15:40

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:

Hoyer's numbers were worse than Cooks.  The patriots, however, and maybe it's the new lions guy, but somebody in the organization, watched enough film to see that the 55% completion percentage was probably not accurate.  Tons of dropped balls by the MSU receivers they claimed.  So, in Belichick form, they waited, knowing nobody would take him.   Solid move.  With Cook, I have also noticed he can sail some passes.  To anybody who has ever coached a QB, many times passes are high if the QB is very pumped or excited.  Start of the game and big drives etc.  I think against Baylor, after Cook threw a shitty pass, he was very excited he was going to have a shot at winning the game.  In that last drive he did sail some passes over peoples heads.  

To your point and what's weird about Cook, it does seem in the toughest of times in the most pressuized of circumstances he is able to step up and deliver more than he fails.   I don't get that either.  Maybe that's the "it" people look for.  In the NFL if he makes a bad throw, however, it's not going to be as forgiving as college is.  Again, he his TD to INT rate is better than two QB's who are starters in the NFL that played under Dantonio.

I don't know shit about shit when it comes to drafting, but if I was kind of the Rams, or of Cleveland, or of Jacksonville or some others, I'd go a 1st or 2nd on Cook.   His upside seems very good and professional coaches have egos where they believe they can teach accuracy and velocity.    Also remember it will be 40-50 hours a week of football and not 20.    I think there will be teams who will definitely take a chance in the first two rounds.  Who knows.  

Can't disagree with any of this.  I'm always a bit shocked when I see Cook's Comp % because he hits so many big throws. But if I'm playing GM and trying to find a fault, that would be the first thing I would look into (not the Captaincy BS).

I don't know that Cook has had more drops than any other college QB.  The Maxwell year and the beginning of Cook's first year were awful with drops.  But Lippett and Burbridge  caught a lot of balls that they probably should not of the last couple of years.

Maybe NFL QB #s are higher because there of better receivers/different schemes.  No idea. But he won't survive at his current completion rate.

Kid is a baller, has an-NFL arm/size and wins. I'll take my chances on him and figure on the compl % details.  I'm not buying that he won't get drafted by early 2nd round at the latest.

Could be another Cousins type situation during the draft - anywhere from the 2nd to 4th rounds. It just takes that one team...
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 2 Mar 2016 - 16:30

Nigel gets credit for this. He posted it on the other board. Interesting.

NFL.com

Conklin = 6.4.
Cook = 5.85.
Calhoun = 5.74.
Jack Allen = 5.51.
Burbridge = 5.44.
Lawrence Thomas = 5.17.
Heath = 5.11
GRADE TITLE
9.00-10 Once-in-lifetime player
8.00-9.00 Perennial All-Pro
7.50-7.99 Future All-Pro