Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTF? Penn state pulls two triple plays on MSU in baseball in one game and we win

+10
Notorious GiB
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Ass Dan
tGreenWay
NigelUno
tanfan!
Rodeo Burger
Frank Ricard
tTy
DWags
14 posters

Go down

WTF?  Penn state pulls two triple plays on MSU in baseball in one game and we win Empty WTF? Penn state pulls two triple plays on MSU in baseball in one game and we win

Post by DWags 2014-05-17, 01:00

cheers 

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10944064/penn-state-nittany-lions-turn-2-triple-plays-vs-michigan-state-spartans
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

WTF?  Penn state pulls two triple plays on MSU in baseball in one game and we win Empty Re: WTF? Penn state pulls two triple plays on MSU in baseball in one game and we win

Post by tTy 2014-05-17, 01:04

TAKE IT TO THE COCK DICKHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

WTF?  Penn state pulls two triple plays on MSU in baseball in one game and we win Empty Re: WTF? Penn state pulls two triple plays on MSU in baseball in one game and we win

Post by DWags 2014-05-17, 01:16

What are the odds of that happening? has to be at least one actuary reading this
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2014-05-17, 05:08

Made the No. 1 play in Sportscenter and those fuckers at ESPN didn't even mention we won the game.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-05-17, 05:16

Frank Ricard wrote:Made the No. 1 play in Sportscenter and those fuckers at ESPN didn't even mention we won the game.

Can't blame them, B1G baseball isn't relevant. A couple years ago when we tied for the conference title (but lost the tie breaker to get the auto bid to the tournament), we weren't even ranked in the top 100 teams in the nation. Most of the MAC programs run circles around us.

This is like a Mexican hockey team giving up 2 hat tricks but still winning the game.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-17, 07:09

Rodeo Burger wrote:

Can't blame them, B1G baseball isn't relevant.  A couple years ago when we tied for the conference title (but lost the tie breaker to get the auto bid to the tournament), we weren't even ranked in the top 100 teams in the nation.  Most of the MAC programs run circles around us.

This is like a Mexican hockey team giving up 2 hat tricks but still winning the game.

Or the msu hockey team  WTF?  Penn state pulls two triple plays on MSU in baseball in one game and we win 1431518612 giving up two hat tricks because that program isn't relevant either.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-05-17, 09:35

Rodeo Burger wrote:

I laughed.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-17, 10:27

Frank Ricard wrote:Made the No. 1 play in Sportscenter and those fuckers at ESPN didn't even mention we won the game.

It's all about triple plays and crablegs.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2014-05-17, 10:31

DWags wrote:What are the odds of that happening? has to be at least one actuary reading this

And we'll need another actuary to determine the validity of this statement. What are the odds we have two actuaries reading this?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-05-17, 11:29

tGreenWay wrote:

And we'll need another actuary to determine the validity of this statement.  What are the odds we have two actuaries reading this?

Well, until at least one actuary shows up, we won't know shit. Slow down on the questions, if it's too much work for them, they'll just keep lurking instead of helping us out.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-05-17, 12:24

DWags wrote:What are the odds of that happening? has to be at least one actuary reading this

You rang?
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill S. Preston, Esquire 2014-05-17, 12:29

Actuaries. I enjoy talking to those dudes. Super smart with numbers and so practical.

I have to call these guys from time to time for work. Socially awkward but good at explaining step by step processes.
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Bill S. Preston, Esquire
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-05-17, 12:40

According to a couple Google searches, the consensus is that the odds of a triple play happening in any single inning is 1/1400. Wanting to find the odds of it happening twice in a nine inning game, you have to look at ask possible combinations of innings where that could happen (9C2) which is 36. This is a Bernoulli problem so your answer us going to look like this:

36*[(1/1400)^2]*[(1399/1400)^7] = .00001828 or .001828%
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-05-17, 12:55

Ass Dan wrote:According to a couple Google searches, the consensus is that the odds of a triple play happening in any single inning is 1/1400. Wanting to find the odds of it happening twice in a nine inning game, you have to look at ask possible combinations of innings where that could happen (9C2) which is 36. This is a Bernoulli problem so your answer us going to look like this:

36*[(1/1400)^2]*[(1399/1400)^7] = .00001828 or .001828%

Well that's exactly what I was thinking.

By the way, I think 1/1400 is too low
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-05-17, 13:02

DWags wrote:

Well that's exactly what I was thinking.

By the way, I think 1/1400 is too low

I'm sure someone went through and tallied up all the triple plays in the majors over the last 50 years and divided that by the total number of innings played. Probably not an exact figure but it should be pretty close to that, averages out to about one per team, per year.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Notorious GiB 2014-05-17, 13:08

It happened in the late 80's or early 90's when the Red Sox hit into two triple plays in the same game against Twins.

Edit: looked it up. Happened in 1990. Red Sox won the game 1-0. Only time it's ever happened in MLB. Moral of the story is never turn two triple plays in one game. Otherwise, you will lose the game.
Notorious GiB
Notorious GiB
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-05-17, 13:12

Ass Dan wrote:

I'm sure someone went through and tallied up all the triple plays in the majors over the last 50 years and divided that by the total number of innings played. Probably not an exact figure but it should be pretty close to that, averages out to about one per team, per year.

But I think the equation has to be different then that. It can't be just how many per innings played. It has to be how many innings start out with the first two batters getting on base. That's rare right there. Then how many times do we see a hit or a double play first. I'm no actuary, but it seems the equation might be more complicated.

Then, how many times has there been two in a game? Then if there were how many times did the team pulling it off lose? I'm thinking it's approaching the 1:1,000,000,000,000

But I was a history major. I don't know shit and I'm just wildly speculating.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Notorious GiB 2014-05-17, 13:16

Check my post above yours Dwags. It's happened once in MLB history and the team turning it lost.
Notorious GiB
Notorious GiB
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-05-17, 13:18

Notorious GiB wrote:Check my post above yours Dwags. It's happened once in MLB history and the team turning it lost.

So is it as easy as number of games ever played?

1: number of innings/games ever played?

I hate math.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-05-17, 13:39

DWags wrote:

But I think the equation has to be different then that.  It can't be just how many per innings  played.   It has to be how many innings start out with the first two batters getting on base.  That's rare right there.  Then how many times do we see a hit or a double play first.  I'm no actuary, but it seems the equation might be more complicated.

Then, how many times has there been two in a game?  Then if there were how many times did the team pulling it off lose?  I'm thinking it's approaching the 1:1,000,000,000,000

But I was a history major.  I don't know shit and I'm just wildly speculating.  

If the average MLB team plays 6 games a week, that's 90 games a week with 1620 half inning possibilities; meaning a triple play would happen, on average, once a week.

I think you *may* be right that the 1400:1 chances are with the conditions established.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-05-04, 00:50

Revenge 7 years later?

WTF?  Penn state pulls two triple plays on MSU in baseball in one game and we win 18870d10
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-05-04, 05:14

I saw that score the other day and lol'd. I have no idea how you remembered this two triple play thread from seven years ago, but good for you, D Wags.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-05-04, 06:21

Best bump ever!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-05-04, 06:36

Ouch
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down