Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swill Q Thread

+40
aualum06
Triple Sparty
Tim Wakefield
Nordic
kingstonlake
I.B. Fine
InTenSity
Death Roe
Herbie Green
Floyd Robertson
xsanguine
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
CheesySpartan
beal99
LoneWolfSparty
Heat Miser
The_Dude
Rocinante
Green Ninja
Ass Dan
GirbaudJeans
NigelUno
Tyler Durden
CORNER BLITZ
All Your Base
Chitown_Badger
nystyletaco
Code_Warrior
Cym Jim
DWags
Mentalstate
tTy
SeeRockCity
SBSpartan
Wally Fairway
pulling69
The Pantry
By-Tor
Jaheab
44 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-08-10, 21:46

I did some baby backs today. I tried using lump charcoal along with the hickory wood in my Masterbuilt XL gasser. It worked really well. It imparted that charcoal flavor profile and actually helped to stabilize the temps in the smoker.

I also made the ribs sweeter than I normally do and used the sweetened butter, honey, and brown sugar liquid mix from the foil and doused the ribs with it again in between applications of BBQ sauce when firming up the bark after foiling. The ribs were sweet, but not overpoweringly so, and balanced nicely with the smoke flavor profile. I believe I have finally perfected my rib recipe.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-15, 23:26

Gonna bump, because bored and a little drunk. Did some damage last weekend up at the lake. Girbaud can testify, hopefully my fellow carnivores enjoyed the meals as much as I did.

I would give the Thursday ribs an 8.

The Friday brisket a 9. (but it was 2 AM and I was quite toxicated)

The Saturday prime rib a 9.5.

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 14%2B-%2B35

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 OwtuRU344anZYirIXpMGz0CbuYcHB8RlaszDaxLhf0Q=w958-h539-no

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 14%2B-%2B8

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 IMG_6512

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 IMG_6523
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-15, 23:31

You know charred meat like that is a carcinogen, right?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-15, 23:38

That's a bone in roast. That bone side gets carved off. Then it looks like this.

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 IMG_6514

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-08-16, 01:17

This looked carcinogenic but I got over it after a bite. Beef rib 1st smoke on the WSM.

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 08-10-10

The WSM is much more efficient than my old Brinkmann, which needed constant feeding.  Will cut back on wood chunks next time
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-08-16, 01:28

The TW8060 came today.

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 Tw806010

Bought a 10# brisket at Bozek's to try it out this weekend
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-08-18, 16:49

How long did the prime rib take? That sounds amazing. And what kind of wood did you use?
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-08-18, 20:18

First run with the WSM and ThermoWorks dual channel yesterday.

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 08-17-11

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 08-17-10

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 Tw_tem10

The brisket came out perfect without wrapping.  Learned an accurate temp probe at cooking level is something I should have invested in a long time ago. The WSM lid thermometer will be used only as a rough gauge from now forward because it averaged 20-25 degrees cooler than where the meat was.

Under cooked a standing prime rib roast in the oven a couple years ago on Christmas Eve, relying on the Viking temp dial and a cheap coil temp probe at the finish. Now armed with a Thermapen and the TW8060, that's never gonna happen again whether in oven, on the grill, or in the smoker
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-08-19, 11:56

WBH (and others) - looking to order some TPJ rib candy; what flavorings do you recommend?
First use will be on ribs (duh!) - is their 2x stuff super hot?

I'm thinking about ordering a 3-pack:
- non habanero
- habanero
- 2x habanero

have you injected? have you tried TPJ BBQ injections?

looking to try something different
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-19, 12:28

Prime rib - I used hickory. I think it probably took about 2 hours but there was a bit of drinking going on that weekend so not exactly sure. I let it run hot. In the 350-375 range.

TPJ rib candy - no, none of it is extraordinarily hot. It's mildly spicy at best, even the 2x. But it's fucking delicious. I love the pineapple hab. Far and away my favorite. Also like mango hab.

I bought an injection from them once. I think I injected a trimmed flat I was making or something. Not really my thing. Didn't care for it.

Craig's bbq sauce is very good, as well.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-27, 21:06

I went down to that shop in Warren a couple of weeks ago and picked up a 10 lb buffalo brisket, 2 buffalo tri-tips, and some sort of buffalo ribs. They must be back ribs b/c I don't think they're short ribs. They were frozen so I'll have to see when I defrost them.

The brisket was really good. I undercooked it the day I had it on the pit. I had to put it in the oven the next day and take it to 200+ and probe tender and it was excellent. I was scared to overcook it because buffalo.

I did a cast iron sear in a butter fire on the tri tip and then smoked it to 118 or so, pulled and rested it. It was fucking great. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Tonight I am going to do a stuffed pork tenderloin. This is one of my favorite dishes. I'm trying a little brine on the tenderloin right now. We'll see how it turns out.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-08-27, 21:27

Thinking of picking this up:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bradley174-Two-Rack-Smoker/1787597.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3FrecordsPerPage%3D18%26No%3D0%26N%3D0%26nl%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbradley%2Bsmoker%26search%3DSearch&No=0&Ntt=bradley+smoker

I want it portable so I can take it up to the hunting property.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-27, 21:41

You have a pick 'em up truck, right LWS?

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 4113017228 WSM 18.5 is pretty portable

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 4113017228 Swill Q Thread - Page 8 4113017228 You won't regret it
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-08-27, 21:46

Don't always drive the truck cause it gets like 10 MPG.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-27, 21:50

I keep a WSM up north. Despite the fact that I tow my trailer up for our guy's weekend. Super affordable, and nice to have if I'm up there with the family and/or inlaws and need to get out of the house for 2 or 12 hours.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-27, 23:04

I just threw this on. I kinda brined it for a couple of hours and then hammered it flat. Stuffed with almond meal, hot ground sausage, and jalapenos.

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 15036153876_72cbde0de7_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-08-27, 23:06

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I just threw this on. I kinda brined it for a couple of hours and then hammered it flat. Stuffed with almond meal, hot ground sausage, and jalapenos.

Nice!
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-08-28, 17:54

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:TPJ rib candy - no, none of it is extraordinarily hot. It's mildly spicy at best, even the 2x. But it's fucking delicious. I love the pineapple hab. Far and away my favorite. Also like mango hab.

I bought an injection from them once. I think I injected a trimmed flat I was making or something. Not really my thing. Didn't care for it.

Craig's bbq sauce is very good, as well.
TPJ came in last week, bought the 3 pack
- 2x Mango Habanero
- Apple Cherry Habanero
- Apple Cinnamon

No pics but I did 3 rack of ribs & a brisket for a cook out on Sunday.
Had some trouble keeping the temp down . . . shooting for 275 and it was creeping up towards 350, had to close 2 vents and 1/2 on the other for a while.
The brisket was not my best, but thankfully the people coming over haven't had great brisket - so they liked it.
The ribs came out just fine, maybe a little crispier than I'd like on the ends but there weren't any left at the end of the day.

I did 1/2 with Apple Cherry Habanero and the other with Apple Cinnamon - both were a little too sweet for my taste, but it was an older crowd (my parents and some aunts) and they are adverse to spicy. So I'm going to fire up for the rack that I didn't cook on Sunday & try the 2x on them.

Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-08-28, 22:22

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I just threw this on. I kinda brined it for a couple of hours and then hammered it flat. Stuffed with almond meal, hot ground sausage, and jalapenos.

Nice. Pork tenderloins are so small I never thought to stuff one. Might give that a try.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-28, 23:21

It's good. Don't overcook it. Gotta get the ground meat up to a decent temp or you're playing with fire.

Slide the tenderloin down the center and it will fold out to a decent size. Then put it on a cutting board, put some saran wrap on top of it and pound the shit out of it with a beater hammer.

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 14882559287_ba5c0584d0_c

Remove it, set it on the counter wrap side down. Put out some string on your cutting board and plop it upside down back on the board. Then stuff it with your ground/breadcrumb/jalapeno/whatever mixture.

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 14882526488_84bc10948a_c

This was one of the biggest fan favorites I've ever cooked at a tailgate.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-08-28, 23:50

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:It's good. Don't overcook it. Gotta get the ground meat up to a decent temp or you're playing with fire.

Slide the tenderloin down the center and it will fold out to a decent size. Then put it on a cutting board, put some saran wrap on top of it and pound the shit out of it with a beater hammer.

Remove it, set it on the counter wrap side down. Put out some string on your cutting board and plop it upside down back on the board. Then stuff it with your ground/breadcrumb/jalapeno/whatever mixture.

Dude, don't be an ass and I want half. Here's the book: WBH's tailgate recipes. We 'll load it with pictures of campus and tailgates put some classic game pictures in, break down recipes. Talk some football. Interview some old time players who come back for games. We'll have a section for outrageous tailgate parties with boobs and takes of sex. Sell it in book stores. Then we do it for every big ten campus. Then every college I'll start this shit right now. You in?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-08-29, 00:00

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:It's good. Don't overcook it. Gotta get the ground meat up to a decent temp or you're playing with fire.

Disagree on the ground meat comment. High quality ground meat doesn't need to get any hotter than cuts of meat. If you're really concerned start grinding your own.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-29, 00:21

DWags wrote:

Dude, don't be an ass and I want half.   Here's the book:  WBH's tailgate recipes.  We 'll load it with pictures of campus and tailgates put some classic game pictures in, break down recipes. Talk some football. Interview some old time players who come back for games. We'll have a section for outrageous tailgate parties with boobs and takes of sex.  Sell it in book stores.  Then we do it for every big ten campus.  Then every college   I'll start this shit right now.  You in?  

In except for the traveling to every campus and college thing. I'll have to wait a few years for that.

I got kids, man. /PrinceFielder
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-29, 00:25

LoneWolfSparty wrote:
Disagree on the ground meat comment. High quality ground meat doesn't need to get any hotter than cuts of meat. If you're really concerned start grinding your own.

I used decidedly un-quality, country boy or some shit tube sausage. I still cook my beef and buffalo burgers to about 140 but I wouldn't serve it at that temp to the wife or kids. I'd be interested in grinding my own, one day. As well as making my own sausage.

I have this dream in my head that one day we can get our shit together and move to a bigger house, with a little more space, and I can have a pole barn of my very own which I will basically turn into a butcher shop, with commercial grade stainless sinks, and a place to store my pit.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-08-29, 01:13

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

In except for the traveling to every campus and college thing. I'll have to wait a few years for that.

I got kids, man. /PrinceFielder

I'm not joking man. Oh, and when we get big, we get to jet to the campus of the greatest games of the week. Alabama one week, UCLA the next. You're home m-f. We party like rock stars take pictures interview some old athletes watch the game google some classic pictures we're home Sunday night.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-29, 01:18

The part of your plan that is missing, though, DW, is they do this all over the South/SE/SW part of the country. Some of the rigs at a Longhorn or Ole Miss tailgate probably make mine look like an easy bake oven. They get their tailgates sponsored and shit and don't have to pay for any of their meat or booze.

I'm just trying to keep mine under the radar so the fun police don't crack down on us.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-08-29, 01:33

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The part of your plan that is missing, though, DW, is they do this all over the South/SE/SW part of the country. Some of the rigs at a Longhorn or Ole Miss tailgate probably make mine look like an easy bake oven. They get their tailgates sponsored and shit and don't have to pay for any of their meat or booze.

I'm just trying to keep mine under the radar so the fun police don't crack down on us.

We'll let those sponsors but ads in our book. Dream big my man. Don't water a talent on local yokels we're going national. When I'm sober tomorrow I'm calling an attorney. I doubt we can copyright anything. We just have to be first and best.

Who wouldn't love looking at pictures of a Bullough tailgate and read some short stories with a brisquitte recipe after it? Or a nutty 20 something hate with pictures of boobs and hotness drinking contests with a kabob marinade recipe in it? Or a smoked ribbed six hour gate with Ken Stabler and friends at Alabama with some of those stories. Ten chapters each book. Great pictures classic stories super recipes. Unique recipes to each college. It's a coffee table glossy book.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-08-29, 09:11

So WBH - I am going to sneak into your tailgate to see the moneyshot on that stuffed tenderloin & steal a bite.
I'll be wearing a Rose Bowl lid, so you can tell which one is Wally!

Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-29, 09:41

You are welcome to come by Wally but I won't have any of the tenderloin there. It's ribs today.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-08-31, 15:00

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The part of your plan that is missing, though, DW, is they do this all over the South/SE/SW part of the country. Some of the rigs at a Longhorn or Ole Miss tailgate probably make mine look like an easy bake oven. They get their tailgates sponsored and shit and don't have to pay for any of their meat or booze.

What is the reasoning for the 'no trailers' rule? Do they not enforce it or do you just give the campus cops a plate of great smoked meat if they approach you?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-31, 19:51

The Pantry wrote:
What is the reasoning for the 'no trailers' rule?  Do they not enforce it or do you just give the campus cops a plate of great smoked meat if they approach you?

I don't know the exact reason. Probably a combination of a lot of things. You couldn't have them in regular parking lots because they take up an extra space.

I can't really say if they enforce it or not. We're in a high donor lot, and that probably has something to do with it, too. Plus I don't park it in the lot, there's a tailgating area just adjacent to it. There's a lot of factors, but I think the people who "patrol" the area are used to us by now and we do everything they ask of us so I think they just kind of let us slide. And I absolutely do have the attendant come by for some food if they're so inclined.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-09-01, 13:00

Have smoked a lot of different things but never chicken, until yesterday.  Spatchcocked a couple and ran the WSM hot without the water pan.  Turned once after a half hour and took them up to 175 in the thigh.  Came out extremely juicy despite not brining

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 08-31-11

Swill Q Thread - Page 8 08-30-10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-09-01, 13:24

The Pantry wrote:Have smoked a lot of different things but never chicken, until yesterday.  Spatchcocked a couple and ran the WSM hot without the water pan.  Turned once after a half hour and took them up to 175 in the thigh.  Came out extremely juicy despite not brining

Love the spatchcock  Swill Q Thread - Page 8 969504605

Finish it with some peri peri sauce and it's magic.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-09-01, 14:11

Cym Jim wrote:
Love the spatchcock  Swill Q Thread - Page 8 969504605

Finish it with some peri peri sauce and it's magic.
Peri peri is a great idea for next time.

Going to experiment with spatchcocking/smoking duck and turkey sometime soon. Duck will need a drip pan on the lower rack to catch the fat for later use and to prevent flare ups
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base 2014-09-05, 13:04

The Pantry wrote:Have smoked a lot of different things but never chicken, until yesterday.  Spatchcocked a couple and ran the WSM hot without the water pan.  Turned once after a half hour and took them up to 175 in the thigh.  Came out extremely juicy despite not brining

GawdDayum they look delicious.

I'm trying to decide what to put on the Egg tomorrow morning. I'm a little worn out on brisket and pork butt. I may just do a crapload of chicken thighs, and I LOVE peri peri.
All Your Base
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-09-05, 13:10

I'm thinking about going to seek out a lamb breast and giving it a whirl tonight. I've heard good things.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-05, 13:14

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I'm thinking about going to seek out a lamb breast and giving it a whirl tonight. I've heard good things.

on my way over, I'll bring the mint jelly.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base 2014-09-05, 13:30

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I'm thinking about going to seek out a lamb breast and giving it a whirl tonight. I've heard good things.

Wow....lamb breast. I live in a pretty affluent area, and even at Whole Foods or the local butcher I've never seen one. Going to a meat supply company?
All Your Base
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base 2014-09-05, 13:30

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

on my way over, I'll bring the jalapeno-thyme-garlic-mint jelly.

Fixed for deliciousness. Wink
All Your Base
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-05, 13:32

All Your Base wrote:

Fixed for deliciousness.  Wink

Can't brah! Reflux.
LoneWolfSparty