Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm sure this is just a coincidence....

4 posters

Go down

I'm sure this is just a coincidence.... Empty I'm sure this is just a coincidence....

Post by Guest Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 10:05

...and the Press must agree or we'd hear more about it.

Best-Run States Are Heavily Republican, Study Finds

The ten most financially sound states in the country are all heavily Republican, while all but one of the ten worst states are heavily Democratic. That’s according to a ranking of states in a new report from the Mercatus Center at George Mason University

The report — “Ranking the States by Fiscal Condition” — used official government data to measure the states’ ability to pay short-term bills and meet longer-term obligations, such as public pensions or health care costs, using five separate measures.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

I'm sure this is just a coincidence.... Empty Re: I'm sure this is just a coincidence....

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 10:06

that's it... I wanna be obese, uneducated and republican.. I'm moving to Mississippi!!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I'm sure this is just a coincidence.... Empty Re: I'm sure this is just a coincidence....

Post by Turtleneck Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 10:24

Looked at the top 10 best run. Interesting metrics, but did they account for other factors like federal aid or population?

For example, South Dakota is ranked #4 in federal aid transfers but #46 in population. Montana is ranked #6 in federal aid transfers but #44 in population. Wyoming is ranked #11 and #50. Oklahoma and Nebraska are also in the top half of federal aid transfers. Meanwhile, 8 of the top 10 are ranked in the bottom half of population with 5 in the bottom 10. I suppose that could mean less tax revenue, but it also means less spending. Some of those states have decent energy industries so they are probably more flush with cash than other more populated states. In other words, not sure ideology explains this all that well.

Last edited by Turtleneck on Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 10:28; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 10:27

Turtleneck wrote: Some of those states have decent energy industries so they are probably more flush with cash than other more populated states. In other words, not sure ideology explains this all that well.

And they have those "decent energy industries" because their policies didn't kill them. IOW ideology.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 10:28

Turtleneck wrote:Looked at the top 10 best run. Interesting metrics, but did they account for other factors like federal aid or population?

For example, South Dakota is ranked #4 in federal aid transfers but #46 in population. Montana is ranked #6 in federal aid transfers but #44 in population. Wyoming is ranked #11 and #50. Oklahoma and Nebraska are also in the top half of federal aid transfers. Meanwhile, 8 of the top 10 are ranked in the bottom half of population with 5 in the bottom 10. I suppose that could mean less tax revenue, but it also means less spending. Some of those states have decent energy industries so they are probably more flush with cash than other more populated states. In other words, not sure ideology explains this all that well.

that's a lot of words for a republican to absorb.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 10:38

Or you can look at gross state product. The red states that do so well on that list average 35th. The blue states on the right side average 17th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 10:41

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote: Some of those states have decent energy industries so they are probably more flush with cash than other more populated states. In other words, not sure ideology explains this all that well.

And they have those "decent energy industries" because their policies didn't kill them. IOW ideology.

Or they have decent energy deposits. In other words, geography. Unless the potential to harvest energy is equal across all 50 states...I actually do not know...maybe.

If it is ideology why is Walker's Wisconsin in the bottom half? How about Kansas? Wasn't that going to be some kind of conservative utopia under Brownback?

I do not think ideology explains this. At least not by itself. It looks like they took population into consideration but not annual federal aid transfers.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 10:46

the 10 most uneducated states in the country. If someone can break them down into red/blue, let me know:

10. Oklahoma
9. Tennessee
8. Indiana
7. Nevada
6. Alabama
5. Louisiana
4. Kentucky
3. Arkansas
2. Mississippi
1. West Virginia

Click Here to See How Your Political Party Aligns Itself With Educated vs. Uneducated Voters
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 10:50

Robert J Sakimano wrote:the 10 most uneducated states in the country. If someone can break them down into red/blue, let me know:

10. Oklahoma
9. Tennessee
8. Indiana
7. Nevada
6. Alabama
5. Louisiana
4. Kentucky
3. Arkansas
2. Mississippi
1. West Virginia

Click Here to See How Your Political Party Aligns Itself With Educated vs. Uneducated Voters

Tennessee implemented a "last dollar" community college tuition program last fall.

Tennessee Promise is both a scholarship and mentoring program focused on increasing the number of students that attend college in our state. It provides students a last-dollar scholarship, meaning the scholarship will cover tuition and fees not covered by the Pell grant, the HOPE scholarship, or state student assistance funds. Students may use the scholarship at any of the state’s 13 community colleges, 27 colleges of applied technology, or other eligible institution offering an associate’s degree program.

While removing the financial burden is key, a critical component of Tennessee Promise is the individual guidance each participant will receive from a mentor who will assist the student as he or she navigates the college admissions process. This is accomplished primarily via mandatory meetings that students must attend in order to remain eligible for the program. In addition, Tennessee Promise participants must complete eight hours of community service per term enrolled, as well as maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.0 GPA) at their institution.

http://tennesseepromise.gov/about.shtml
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 10:57

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:the 10 most uneducated states in the country. If someone can break them down into red/blue, let me know:

10. Oklahoma
9. Tennessee
8. Indiana
7. Nevada
6. Alabama
5. Louisiana
4. Kentucky
3. Arkansas
2. Mississippi
1. West Virginia

Tennessee implemented a "last dollar" community college tuition program last fall.

Tennessee Promise is both a scholarship and mentoring program focused on increasing the number of students that attend college in our state. It provides students a last-dollar scholarship, meaning the scholarship will cover tuition and fees not covered by the Pell grant, the HOPE scholarship, or state student assistance funds. Students may use the scholarship at any of the state’s 13 community colleges, 27 colleges of applied technology, or other eligible institution offering an associate’s degree program.

While removing the financial burden is key, a critical component of Tennessee Promise is the individual guidance each participant will receive from a mentor who will assist the student as he or she navigates the college admissions process. This is accomplished primarily via mandatory meetings that students must attend in order to remain eligible for the program. In addition, Tennessee Promise participants must complete eight hours of community service per term enrolled, as well as maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.0 GPA) at their institution.

http://tennesseepromise.gov/about.shtml
that's awesome. It's good to see states being proactive about education and their efforts to turn their state from red to blue.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:02

Damn, that was a major crash and burn Loose.

I'm sure this is just a coincidence.... 502811600
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:04

Rocinante wrote:Damn, that was a major crash and burn Loose.

I'm sure he'll come up with some sort of reason why Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, etc. are political, social and cultural utopias. I'm sure this is just a coincidence.... 502811600

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:04; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:04

I believe Minnesota and Oregon have something similar, and a handful of individual and city CC districts around the country as well.

As of last fall, there were similar programs on the table in probably a dozen states. I do not know the current status of those proposed programs nor do I plan to look them up and get back to you. At least not today.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:06

It's good research and pretty interesting. Just not sure I would be quick to equate results to ideology.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:13

Turtleneck wrote:

It's good research and pretty interesting. Just not sure I would be quick to equate results to ideology.

I can't read that page because it won't let me block their cookies. Financially sound is such a fucking subjective term. The most innovative and pioneering industries are all in heavily liberal states... OH MY GOD.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:19

Rocinante wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I can't read that page because it won't let me block their cookies.  Financially sound is such a fucking subjective term.  The most innovative and pioneering industries are all in heavily liberal states... OH MY GOD.

They had five measures

Cash solvency (pay immediate expenditures)
Budget solvency (end the year with budget surplus or deficit)
Long-run solvency (long-term ability to pay commitments)
Service solvency (ability to respond to increased demand)
Trust-fund solvency (measure of debt and unfunded liabilities)

They mention in the study that...

It is important to stress at the outset that the underlying fiscal metrics are
more meaningful than the state’s rank. The rank is a score of relative performance,
whereas the underlying metrics measure the actual short-run and long-run solvency
of the state. Further, these metrics must be interpreted in the context of
economic and institutional factors that affect revenue, spending, and debt.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:33

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Or you can look at gross state product. The red states that do so well on that list average 35th. The blue states on the right side average 17th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP

So they're wasting quite a bit of $$.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:35

10. Oklahoma
9. Tennessee
8. Indiana
7. Nevada
6. Alabama
5. Louisiana
4. Kentucky
3. Arkansas
2. Mississippi
1. West Virginia

Yep, it's just them there dumb red necks that elect politicians that balance the books. The REALLY smart people elect politicians that sink their states into billions of debt.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:36

Turtleneck wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

I can't read that page because it won't let me block their cookies.  Financially sound is such a fucking subjective term.  The most innovative and pioneering industries are all in heavily liberal states... OH MY GOD.

They had five measures

It is important to stress at the outset that the underlying fiscal metrics are
more meaningful than the state’s rank. The rank is a score of relative performance,
whereas the underlying metrics measure the actual short-run and long-run solvency
of the state. Further, these metrics must be interpreted in the context of
economic and institutional factors that affect revenue, spending, and debt.

Yeah? When's the data from? Because as you said. Energy is king in these states and energy prices were recently at an all time low. Also the low population, high transient population (energy workers), and low infrastructure costs all lead to some vision of a "healthy economy" but look a little closer and you see a one trick pony.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:38

From the study...as I suspected in my first reply...

TOP FIVE STATES
Alaska, Nebraska, Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota rank in the top five states.
• Pensions and health care will continue to be long-term challenges. While these states are
considered fiscally healthy relative to other states because they have significant amounts of
cash on hand and relatively low short-term debt obligations, each state faces substantial
long-term challenges related to its pension and healthcare benefits systems.

• Unpredictable revenue sources may play a role in short-term fiscal health. The top-performing
states owe some of their success to unpredictable revenue sources.
Since the most recent data
is from fiscal year 2014, it appears as though these states are very well off, but declining oil
prices and the budget crises that are currently unfolding in Alaska and other oil-producing
states highlight the danger of expanding revenue based on volatile revenue sources.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:39

Rocinante wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

They had five measures

Yeah? When's the data from? Because as you said. Energy is king in these states and energy prices were recently at an all time low. Also the low population, high transient population (energy workers), and low infrastructure costs all lead to some vision of a "healthy economy" but look a little closer and you see a one trick pony.

FY 2014
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 11:53

LooseGoose wrote:

10. Oklahoma
9. Tennessee
8. Indiana
7. Nevada
6. Alabama
5. Louisiana
4. Kentucky
3. Arkansas
2. Mississippi
1. West Virginia

Yep, it's just them there dumb red necks that elect politicians that balance the books.  The REALLY smart people elect politicians that sink their states into billions of debt.
as predicted...

so... when are you moving to Mississippi to enjoy their cultural, social and educational achievements? I'm picking my daughter (sorry For bin) up after school, grabbing her East Lansing HS transcript and enrolling her into the Mississippi high school of her choice tomorrow!

maybe on the drive down she can develop a taste for fried pigs ears and Moon Drop cola..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 12:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Yep, it's just them there dumb red necks that elect politicians that balance the books.  The REALLY smart people elect politicians that sink their states into billions of debt.
as predicted...

so... when are you moving to Mississippi to enjoy their cultural, social and educational achievements? I'm picking my daughter (sorry For bin) up after school, grabbing her East Lansing HS transcript and enrolling her into the Mississippi high school of her choice tomorrow!

maybe on the drive down she can develop a taste for fried pigs ears and Moon Drop cola..

I'm enjoying your repeated attempts to change the subject. The subject is fiscal responsibility not whether your daughter gnaws on pig ears.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 12:19

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
as predicted...

I'm enjoying your repeated attempts to change the subject. The subject is fiscal responsibility not whether your daughter gnaws on pig ears.
no, man.. I'm just excited that you've opened my eyes to all that red state America has to offer.. thanks!!!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 12:21

I googled Moon Drop cola and found out people really like to drink RC Cola and eat those Moon Pie things at the same time.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 12:29

Turtleneck wrote:I googled Moon Drop cola and found out people really like to drink RC Cola and eat those Moon Pie things at the same time.
I just sort of made it up.. based on my 25 years of living in the cultural, social, economic and educational paragon otherwise known as "the south".

i.e. Red State Utopia.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 12:30

I'm sure this is just a coincidence.... Six-pack
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 12:45

Turtleneck wrote:I'm sure this is just a coincidence.... Six-pack
it's probably why the right was so {gasp} outraged by Michelle Obama focusing on childhood obesity.

It basically comes down to educating families and children.. and we know what happens when people are educated - they vote Democrat.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 12:57

Except for the ones that vote Republican.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum