Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business.

+30
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
CORNER BLITZ
I.B. Fine
kingstonlake
Da Mayor
DWags
AnomanderRake
Cameron
duffy munn
Nordic
TheReal_LWS
Tyler Durden
Turtleneck
Space Lord
Travis of the Cosmos
aualum06
Watch Out Pylon!
SawGreen
The Pantry
Death Roe
Clarett's Folly
CheesySpartan
GRR Spartan
Herbie Green
MattyFresh
Floyd Robertson
Tim Wakefield
Robert J Sakimano
The_Dude
34 posters

Page 23 of 23 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23

Go down

2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 23 Empty Re: 2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business.

Post by kingstonlake 2018-03-13, 07:20

Cameron wrote:https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/13/17111654/michigan-state-tom-izzo-bridges-jaren-jackson

They actually a really good breakdown of Bridges.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 23 Empty Re: 2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business.

Post by Guest 2018-03-14, 10:27

They're both coming back.

Michigan State's Jaren Jackson pegged as high as No. 3 in pre-NCAA Tournament NBA mock drafts
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-15, 08:31

Michigan State unplugs and looks inward as it steps into March Madness spotlight

Michigan State made a collective decision in a January team meeting in to shut down their Twitter feeds, with the goal of maintaining focus at a critical time of the year and not being distracted by off-court issues.

"We made a decision to stay off of Twitter, definitely not tweet anything out, try to do anything we can to just focus in and lock in as a team," Winston said.

The decision may be a small one in the grand scheme of things. Tweeting or not tweeting won't win or lose Michigan State an NCAA title over the next three weeks.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-03-15, 12:47

538 Says RPI Sucks
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-17, 10:42

Michigan State's Miles Bridges a megastar in NCAA tournament win

For Bob.

Bridges didn't put off the NBA to chase an NCAA title. He came back to play with his buddies. To live the college life for another year. To eat pizza together and go to movies together and share Bible passages on Wednesday nights.

For OTPT
Yet there he was inside Little Caesars, providing the sort of wattage the arena hasn't seen all winter.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-20, 07:07

Why MSU turned to Carter-Tillman over Jackson-Ward combo
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-03-20, 09:39

LooseGoose wrote:Why MSU turned to Carter-Tillman over Jackson-Ward combo

And it lost us the game. Thank you mr March
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-03-20, 21:49

Izzo has forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know, but it is extremely disheartening to me that he doesn't regret leaving Jackson on the bench for Carter.

Season low in points for the team, season high in minutes for Carter. Carter is not 100% to blame for that, obviously, but still, it leads one to certain conclusions.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-03-20, 22:04

Certain conclusions that Carter was a non threat from the weakest point in the zone. JESUS WHAT THE FUCK
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-03-20, 22:04

I think Carter played fairly well to be honest. He certainly outplayed Jackson. I wouldn't mind rewatching the game.

I think it's fair to question the high post strategy, if you're educated. I wasn't initially but I am a bit more now. I've read some things about how other ACC teams attacked the Cuse zone, and how we attacked it back in 2003, running others in and out of the high post, etc. We didn't seem to do any of that.

I also echo something that Frank Ricard said the morning after the game in another thread - I had been thinking this at the game, even. I wondered why they didn't try Bridges at the 4 in the high post.

But, as Comp pointed out - they quite obviously felt that Carter was their best option in that spot, once they had committed to that being the zone offense they were going to run. You kinda have to trust the staff in that regard. We don't see the practices, and to be honest, Carter looked pretty good there (aside from the one instance where he was really tentative in putting up a shot late in the game, and kicked it back out). The staff also had planned on this, which is why they played him more than usual against Bucknell....they were trying to prepare him for extended minutes against Cuse if we faced them. (Comp pointed this out after the Bucknell game, before the Cuse game was even over)

Another thing you have to consider about all of this....yes, the point totals sucked, but we were in control of that game until 4 minutes were left, and for the next 2 minutes it was a 2 point game. I was at the game and though I had the typical tournament nervous jitters, I never really felt we were in danger of losing the game until Cuse took the lead at the 4 minute mark or whatever. I just don't think it would make a whole lot of sense to make wholesale changes to your game plan when you are winning the game by 4-6 points against a team that is very limited offensively.

Too much hot taking. My use of hot takes is probably a hot take at this point, but...I see some legitimate criticisms, and others I shake my head at. The use of Carter over Jackson is not something I can find a ton of fault in. Carter played pretty well and Jackson was struggling.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-03-20, 22:11

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Why MSU turned to Carter-Tillman over Jackson-Ward combo

And it lost us the game. Thank you mr March

It wasn't that we literally had our worst 3 point shooting game of the year?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-03-20, 22:19

Carter played hot potato with the basketball and wasn’t a threat to drive or shoot. Y’all can blindly defend izzo all you want, say hot take after hot take but he didn’t adjust after we were ice cold and couldn’t make a shot. That is poor coaching.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-03-20, 23:02

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Carter played hot potato with the basketball and wasn’t a threat to drive or shoot. Y’all can blindly defend izzo all you want, say hot take after hot take but he didn’t adjust after we were ice cold and couldn’t make a shot. That is poor coaching.
All I'll say is IU.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-03-21, 06:50

Yeah, I don't agree that Carter played well. Maybe he played like the coaches wanted him to, but I don't think it was really very beneficial. Anyone have to +/-s from the game handy?

Plus, just 2 rebounds in 23 minutes, opposed to Jackson's 8 in 15 minutes. In a game where we're missing shots, more rebounding and second chances would have been nice.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-03-21, 08:06

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I think Carter played fairly well to be honest. He certainly outplayed Jackson. I wouldn't mind rewatching the game.

I think it's fair to question the high post strategy, if you're educated. I wasn't initially but I am a bit more now. I've read some things about how other ACC teams attacked the Cuse zone, and how we attacked it back in 2003, running others in and out of the high post, etc. We didn't seem to do any of that.

I also echo something that Frank Ricard said the morning after the game in another thread - I had been thinking this at the game, even. I wondered why they didn't try Bridges at the 4 in the high post.

But, as Comp pointed out - they quite obviously felt that Carter was their best option in that spot, once they had committed to that being the zone offense they were going to run. You kinda have to trust the staff in that regard. We don't see the practices, and to be honest, Carter looked pretty good there (aside from the one instance where he was really tentative in putting up a shot late in the game, and kicked it back out). The staff also had planned on this, which is why they played him more than usual against Bucknell....they were trying to prepare him for extended minutes against Cuse if we faced them. (Comp pointed this out after the Bucknell game, before the Cuse game was even over)

Another thing you have to consider about all of this....yes, the point totals sucked, but we were in control of that game until 4 minutes were left, and for the next 2 minutes it was a 2 point game. I was at the game and though I had the typical tournament nervous jitters, I never really felt we were in danger of losing the game until Cuse took the lead at the 4 minute mark or whatever. I just don't think it would make a whole lot of sense to make wholesale changes to your game plan when you are winning the game by 4-6 points against a team that is very limited offensively.

Too much hot taking. My use of hot takes is probably a hot take at this point, but...I see some legitimate criticisms, and others I shake my head at. The use of Carter over Jackson is not something I can find a ton of fault in. Carter played pretty well and Jackson was struggling.

Beoheim said the player he feared the most was Jackson and he was left on the bench. Say what you want about Coach Cal, Williams, Self, Coach K etc but I guarantee you struggling or not those guys go down with their lottery pick on the floor over a guy that can’t score.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-03-21, 08:09

Cameron wrote:Yeah, I don't agree that Carter played well. Maybe he played like the coaches wanted him to, but I don't think it was really very beneficial. Anyone have to +/-s from the game handy?

Plus, just 2 rebounds in 23 minutes, opposed to Jackson's 8 in 15 minutes. In a game where we're missing shots, more rebounding and second chances would have been nice.

Carter wasn’t a threat to score. I’m sure Boeheim was happy to let him sit in the belly of the zone and pass the ball well. They were more focused on defending the perimeter.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-25, 11:54

Chris Vannini Verified account @ChrisVannini 34m34 minutes ago
See, Izzo kept a top-10 NBA pick on the bench so he could play a pro instead.

Kyle Austin Verified account @kylebaustin
More Kyle Austin Retweeted Winner League
Ben Carter signs to play pro ball in Israel
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-03-25, 18:20

LooseGoose wrote:Chris Vannini Verified account @ChrisVannini 34m34 minutes ago
See, Izzo kept a top-10 NBA pick on the bench so he could play a pro instead.

Kyle Austin Verified account @kylebaustin
More Kyle Austin Retweeted Winner League
Ben Carter signs to play pro ball in Israel

I’d be laughing if I wasn’t still crying.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-04-07, 14:36

Tweet from big puddin

Big dreams, involve foreign places With nice Ting’s
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-04-07, 14:39

DWags wrote:Tweet from big puddin

Big dreams, involve foreign places With nice Ting’s

Gotta follow your dreams. Sounds like he’s gone. Best to him.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 23 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23