Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing Notre Dame more ways to do it

+7
Herbie Green
bullwrinkle
RBW Spartan
Ass Dan
JEK
Bizarro Fletch
Bonerland
11 posters

Go down

Playing Notre Dame more ways to do it Empty Playing Notre Dame more ways to do it

Post by Bonerland Sat May 24, 2014 1:34 pm

I admit that as a 40 something spartan I will miss playing ND every year. Yes they have have an all-time winning record against us but we have like the third most wins against ND and we have played them more times and more frequently than Michigan. It was nice to be considered an annual rival of ND by the rest of the country.

Since we are going to nine big ten games I would like to see us get more creative in scheduling ND like playing them in Oct and Nov when we have a open date in the big the schedule. I wish the Big ten would allow us to schedule non-conference games at any time like they do in the SEC. The SEC has SEC games in September often the first or second game of the year and has Non-conference games throughout Oct and Nov.

Even with the Big Ten title game we can fit in two bye weeks during the season in some years if we begin the season the last weekend of August
Bonerland
Bonerland
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Playing Notre Dame more ways to do it Empty Re: Playing Notre Dame more ways to do it

Post by Bizarro Fletch Sat May 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Bonerland wrote:I admit that as a 40 something spartan I will miss playing ND every year. Yes they have have an all-time winning record against us but we have like the third most wins against ND and we have played them more times and more frequently than Michigan. It was nice to be considered an annual rival of ND by the rest of the country.

Since we are going to nine big ten games I would like to see us get more creative in scheduling ND like playing them in Oct and Nov when we have a open date in the big the schedule. I wish the Big ten would allow us to schedule non-conference games at any time like they do in the SEC. The SEC has SEC games in September often the first or second game of the year and has Non-conference games throughout Oct and Nov.

Even with the Big Ten title game we can fit in two bye weeks during the season in some years if we begin the season the last weekend of August

Other than sentimental value, what is the benefit in jumping through all of those hoops to play them? ND isn't the national brand they were 30 or even 10 years ago. And I hate the idea of playing them, for example, a week before a pivotal game against UM, Nebraska, etc.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Playing Notre Dame more ways to do it Empty Re: Playing Notre Dame more ways to do it

Post by Bonerland Sat May 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

Other than sentimental value, what is the benefit in jumping through all of those hoops to play them? ND isn't the national brand they were 30 or even 10 years ago. And I hate the idea of playing them, for example, a week before a pivotal game against UM, Nebraska, etc.

They are still a name school that people pay attention to. They are a rivalry for us. Only about four other schools: USC, Purdue, Army, and Navy can say they have rivalries with ND that have a lot of history to them. We are up there with USC in all time wins against ND and that is something.

MSU v. ND will always be on national television. I'd rather play them at any time of the season versus Jacksonville State or Western Michigan.
Bonerland
Bonerland
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK Sat May 24, 2014 5:41 pm

I'm happy to get a break from playing ND. They've had our number lately. And a win against them doesn't carry much weight anymore. They had their one flukey good season and that was it.

Wouldn't want to completely discontinue the series, but it will be nice to play some other teams and have a chance to travel to new stadiums.

JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Sat May 24, 2014 5:44 pm

I seriously don't care about playing nd, do long as they continue to be replaced with another quality opponent. The last thing I want is for the first four weeks of the season to look like Wisconsin's
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch Sat May 24, 2014 7:22 pm

Bonerland wrote:

They are still a name school that people pay attention to. They are a rivalry for us. Only about four other schools: USC, Purdue, Army, and Navy can say they have rivalries with ND that have a lot of history to them. We are up there with USC in all time wins against ND and that is something.

MSU v. ND will always be on national television. I'd rather play them at any time of the season versus Jacksonville State or Western Michigan.

Except they're not being replaced by Jax State or WMU, they're being replaced with Oregon, ASU, Boise, etc.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan Sat May 24, 2014 7:56 pm

With the 9 game B1G schedule, if we were to play ND every year we couldn't have home and homes. I'll miss playing ND every year, but that's the problem with 9 game schedules. Frankly, I care more about playing ND than Iowa/Minny/Purdue/B1GW.

However, I would love to see ND 4 years out of 10. That lets us get a couple of home and homes every decade, but let's every Spartan Dawg get a chance to play for the Megaphone.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonerland Sat May 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

Except they're not being replaced by Jax State or WMU, they're being replaced with Oregon, ASU, Boise, etc.

Yup and Notre Dame is still a bigger game than those schools.
Bonerland
Bonerland
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwrinkle Sat May 24, 2014 11:17 pm

Bonerland wrote:I admit that as a 40 something spartan I will miss playing ND every year. Yes they have have an all-time winning record against us but we have like the third most wins against ND and we have played them more times and more frequently than Michigan. It was nice to be considered an annual rival of ND by the rest of the country.

ND is phasing out us, scUM, and Purdue, traditional BIG rivals. We aren't the ones dropping them. They have their BS ACC deal and are keeping Stanford, USC and Navy as regulars.
bullwrinkle
bullwrinkle
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sat May 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

Sort of but the last time we played Oregon we were playing ND as well.

I'm looking at my 1988 Rose Bowl coffee cup where we started the season with USC, Florida State and Notre Dame.

Personally, I want to play ND every year.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by BtothejizA Sun May 25, 2014 1:29 am

Just Sucks we lost the last two. I've never met an ND fan in my life though so whatever.
BtothejizA
BtothejizA
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Sun May 25, 2014 2:54 am

BtothejizA wrote:Just Sucks we lost the last two. I've never met an ND fan in my life though so whatever.

"You are just a pussy ass typer."

signed

Playing Notre Dame more ways to do it Hqdefault
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun May 25, 2014 12:24 pm

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

It's an entertaining game to watch, and that's why I think they should keep it.

Honestly there is only handful of games every year that are even worth watching. We are all grads, so we follow it closely. To the casual fan no one gives a rip about watching MSU vs. Indiana, or OSU vs. Purdue, or Iowa vs. Illinois and so on.

I think having MSU vs Nebraska,  MSU vs UM and MSU vs ND all in a row would make for a better product. If the b10 is serious about expanding to the east coast like it says it is, well it's going to have to deliver better quality contests.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun May 25, 2014 12:31 pm

Herbie Green wrote:

Sort of but the last time we played Oregon we were playing ND as well.

I'm looking at my 1988 Rose Bowl coffee cup where we started the season with USC, Florida State and Notre Dame.

^^^^ This

The b10 schedules and seasons from start to finish featured more exciting games back then.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen Sun May 25, 2014 12:42 pm

Herbie Green wrote:

Fans don't matter. Its all about coaches salaries, locker rooms, weight rooms, recruiting budgets, major donor luxuries, all expense paid bowl trips for university presidents, faculty reps and board of trustees and Most of All...... Welfare for Womens Sports ( i.e. Title IX)
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down