Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Crime in California! - DUI Caffeine

5 posters

Go down

New Crime in California! - DUI Caffeine Empty New Crime in California! - DUI Caffeine

Post by Guest Sat 24 Dec 2016 - 9:18

California man fights DUI charge for driving under influence of caffeine

Shcwab was driving home from work when he was pulled over by an agent from the California department of alcoholic beverage control, who was driving an unmarked vehicle. The agent said Schwab had cut her off and was driving erratically.

The 36-year-old union glazier was given a breathalyzer test which showed a 0.00% blood alcohol level, his attorney said. He was booked into county jail and had his blood drawn, but the resulting toxicology report came back negative for benzodiazepines, cocaine, opiates, THC, carisoprodol (a muscle relaxant), methamphetamine/MDMA, oxycodone, and zolpidem.

The sample was screened a second time by a laboratory in Pennsylvania, according to documents provided to the Guardian, where the sole positive result was for caffeine – a substance likely coursing through the veins of many drivers on the road at any given time.

“I’ve never seen this before,” said Barrett. “I’ve never even heard of it.”
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

New Crime in California! - DUI Caffeine Empty Re: New Crime in California! - DUI Caffeine

Post by Turtleneck Sat 24 Dec 2016 - 17:26

gHost Spartan wrote:Interesting case. I think a tough one for the persecutor to prove. But those DUI statues are pretty vague and a defendant can be convicted if under the influence of any substance which caused their impairment while driving, i.e. sniffing glue or huffing, drugs, Spice, shit like that -

Goodbar was always good for some jenkem references. Too bad we got stuck with his cousin Greenway.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

New Crime in California! - DUI Caffeine Empty Re: New Crime in California! - DUI Caffeine

Post by Three_Putt_Par Sat 24 Dec 2016 - 19:11

gHost Spartan wrote:Interesting case. I think a tough one for the persecutor to prove. But those DUI statues are pretty vague and a defendant can be convicted if under the influence of any substance which caused their impairment while driving, i.e. sniffing glue or huffing, drugs, Spice, shit like that -

Could the statute be voided for vagueness then? Seems like there was no fair warning to the Defendant.
Three_Putt_Par
Three_Putt_Par
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Dec 2016 - 19:18

Three_Putt_Par wrote:

Could the statute be voided for vagueness then? Seems like there was no fair warning to the Defendant.

Ignorance is no excuse.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Three_Putt_Par Sat 24 Dec 2016 - 19:32

LooseGoose wrote:
Three_Putt_Par wrote:

Ignorance is no excuse.

Yeah, I know the Defendant's state of mind doesn't matter for a DUI case or other strict liability crimes. However, if the law itself is overly vague and cannot be interpreted by the general public, it can be challenged (I think). Probably a hard thing to challenge though.
Three_Putt_Par
Three_Putt_Par
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Dec 2016 - 19:43

Three_Putt_Par wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Ignorance is no excuse.

Yeah, I know the Defendant's state of mind doesn't matter for a DUI case or other strict liability crimes. However, if the law itself is overly vague and cannot be interpreted by the general public, it can be challenged (I think). Probably a hard thing to challenge though.

I'd ask for a jury trial, I don't think you could lose.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat 24 Dec 2016 - 20:53

Genius move by the defense attorney in framing the story first. Take an absurd charge straight to the news media and embarrass the shit out of the prosecutor. They said it's not about caffeine, but then what else could it be about?. I expect this will get dismissed.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat 24 Dec 2016 - 20:53

Turtleneck wrote:

Goodbar was always good for some jenkem references. Too bad we got stuck with his cousin Greenway.

You're dead to me.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court Sun 25 Dec 2016 - 8:12

Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Mon 26 Dec 2016 - 20:23

I love it. Fry the mf'er.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down