Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Student vs. teacher debate

+6
Turtleneck
Watch Out Pylon!
Cameron
xsanguine
DWags
Tim Wakefield
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Student vs. teacher debate - Page 3 Empty Re: Student vs. teacher debate

Post by AnomanderRake Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:57 am

LooseGoose wrote:I wonder when they'll debunk the "there is no money in education" line?

Jenna Fischer Is Right…We Need To Have A Conversation About Teachers And Spending

From 1950 to 2009 the student population increased by 95% while school personnel grew by 386%. In contrast, teacher hirings increased by just 252% while administrators and other school staff increased by a shocking 702%.

Let that sink in for a minute. While your school district is telling you there’s no money to increase teacher salaries or even pay for their classroom art supplies, they’ve been hiring non-teacher employees at a rate that is 451% higher than teacher acquisitions.

Student vs. teacher debate - Page 3 School-growth

Yep there's plenty of money it's just not being spent effectively. I have a lot of friends that are teachers that complain about funding without understanding how the current funding is allocated.

Sadly our school system is not designed with students in mind first and foremost.

I'm not a school teacher but I do coach and teach lean six sigma/process improvement. We find that our adult students learn best using a combination of E-learning modules to introduce concepts, followed up by in person, team based workshops that are approximately 2-4 hours in length. The in person teaching and coaching reinforces what they learned in the online modules, and provides an opportunity to learn to work in teams to solve problems, and ask our coaches for help/clarifying concepts and how or when to use tools etc.

Asking our children to sit down for 8 hours a day and retain the massive amount of information being thrown at them is ridiculous. It's just cram cram cram, test and forget with very little practical application experience. The E-learning revolution can't come soon enough. Education sources like Khan Academy will eventually take over, and we'll need to rethink how we approach education entirely.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3