Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people

+9
xsanguine
Other Teams Pursuing That
P Rob
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
GRR Spartan
InTenSity
Floyd Robertson
DWags
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people  - Page 2 Empty Re: Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 2:46 pm

CheesySpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

You're actually saying that a cake store which writes letters on a cake would t have the ability to write letters on a cake, and forcing a doctor to specialize in a surgical procedures are alike?

Well, OK then.

As far as "openly" discriminating well like all Americans I hope we at least just covertly discriminate. However, if it makes you feel better, I guarantee you if a tobacco store in Louisiana said "no negroes allowed, it would be swamped with good ol boys by sun down.

FWIW the cake store in OR closed in October (3 months after the incident) so the community did ultimately react.

This is exactly how it should work.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people  - Page 2 Empty Re: Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people

Post by DWags January 26th 2017, 2:49 pm

xsanguine wrote:
DWags wrote:

You're actually saying that a cake store which writes letters on a cake would t have the ability to write letters on a cake, and forcing a doctor to specialize in a surgical procedures are alike?

Well, OK then.

As far as "openly" discriminating well like all Americans I hope we at least just covertly discriminate. However, if it makes you feel better, I guarantee you if a tobacco store in Louisiana said "no negroes allowed, it would be swamped with good ol boys by sun down.

They are both services being performed. So yes, Dwags, they are alike.

Not if I'm not trained to preform it or we don't advertise that we provide it.

I can say "we don't have doctors that preform abortions". I can't say we don't have doctors that preform abortions on muslims, Jews or methodists. The rest of you are fine.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine January 26th 2017, 2:50 pm

xsanguine wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

FWIW the cake store in OR closed in October (3 months after the incident) so the community did ultimately react.

Correct, but didn't the lawsuit and associated costs have something to do with it as well?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! January 26th 2017, 2:53 pm

xsanguine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

His job is in the SERVICE industry so yes. Do your job or go dig some ditches if you can't handle handing over some bagels to Marcie and Beth the lesbian softball teammates for cash.

We're not talking about what someone can or cannot handle. We're talking about the morality (or lack thereof) of coercion.

You can argue that every law on the book is the form of coercion. Is every law then immoral because it coerces people into doing certain things under threat of penalty? Is that the stance you are taking? Is it then immoral to be penalized by threat of prison for murdering my neighbor because he's playing his stereo too loud?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 2:53 pm

I.B. Fine wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Correct, but didn't the lawsuit and associated costs have something to do with it as well?

Well that's a shame.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 2:55 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

We're not talking about what someone can or cannot handle. We're talking about the morality (or lack thereof) of coercion.

You can argue that every law on the book is the form of coercion. Is every law then immoral because it coerces people into doing certain things under threat of penalty? Is that the stance you are taking? Is it then immoral to be penalized by threat of prison for murdering my neighbor because he's playing his stereo too loud?

Nope. Murdering someone is an act of force against someone's will. That's not even close to two parties consenting to an agreement (or not consenting to an agreement).
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! January 26th 2017, 2:55 pm

xsanguine wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

What if it didn't work that way? What if enough people didn't care how that bakery treated gay people and they were still in business?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! January 26th 2017, 2:56 pm

xsanguine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Nope. Murdering someone is an act of force against someone's will. That's not even close to two parties consenting to an agreement (or not consenting to an agreement).

Where is the line drawn at then? Is a traffic ticket for running red lights immoral?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 2:58 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Where is the line drawn at then? Is a traffic ticket for running red lights immoral?

The line is drawn at consenting parties coming to an agreement.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano January 26th 2017, 3:04 pm

I'd open up a hot dog stand.. and have some sort of sign stitched with a bible verse on it.. to make sure the "christians" knew they were welcome.

Then, as each "christian" bit into their hot dog, I'd have the staff trained to moan in ecstasy.. as lights started flashing and a disco ball descended from the ceiling.. some Gay SeXXX club music pumping from the speakers.

that would be pretty sweet.

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on January 26th 2017, 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 3:05 pm

Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people  - Page 2 1494614055
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! January 26th 2017, 3:08 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'd open up a hot dog stand.. and have some sort of sign stitched with a bible verse on it.. to make sure the "christians" knew they were welcome.

Then, as each "christian" bit into their hot dog, I'd have the staff trained to moan in ecstasy.. as lights started flashing and a disco ball descended from the ceiling.. some Gay SeXXX club music pumping from the speakers.

Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people  - Page 2 Giphy
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! January 26th 2017, 3:09 pm

Also Goose. if you're reading this. If you responded more like X I would engage you more often.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano January 26th 2017, 3:11 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'd open up a hot dog stand.. and have some sort of sign stitched with a bible verse on it.. to make sure the "christians" knew they were welcome.

Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people  - Page 2 Giphy
exactly..

right as the "christians" bite the wiener.. a collective moan.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 3:11 pm

hahahahahhaa....

Bob, I lost it on that one...

Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people  - Page 2 502811600
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags January 26th 2017, 3:15 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

What if it didn't work that way? What if enough people didn't care how that bakery treated gay people and they were still in business?

My example of a tobacco store in Louisiana exactly. It's why we need protection.

All that said, it's 2017. WTF is wrong with us? HUSBAND AND HUSBAND. This matters because? I can't believe I'm even talking about this shit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 3:18 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Consensual agreements (in other words, freedom) should be paramount. I've been turned away from places of business because I didn't "fit in". I just found another barber. The place is still there serving a community that rarely tips and a community that can't afford anything beyond basic services.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! January 26th 2017, 3:24 pm

xsanguine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Consensual agreements (in other words, freedom) should be paramount. I've been turned away from places of business because I didn't "fit in". I just found another barber. The place is still there serving a community that rarely tips and a community that can't afford anything beyond basic services.

Was it ok for black people to be denied service at restaurants because they didn't "fit in"? Are you advocating for a return to the separate but equal mentality prior to the civil rights movement of the 60's?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine January 26th 2017, 3:24 pm

DWags wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

My example of a tobacco store in Louisiana exactly. It's why we need protection.

All that said, it's 2017. WTF is wrong with us? HUSBAND AND HUSBAND. This matters because? I can't believe I'm even talking about this shit.
Legislating common sense is nearly impossible, but we keep trying.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 3:25 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Was it ok for black people to be denied service at restaurants because they didn't "fit in"? Are you advocating for a return to the separate but equal mentality prior to the civil rights movement of the 60's?

That was segregation enforced by the government. The same problem just the coin flipped over.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano January 26th 2017, 3:26 pm

xsanguine wrote:hahahahahhaa....

Bob, I lost it on that one...

Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people  - Page 2 502811600
Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people  - Page 2 502811600 Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people  - Page 2 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! January 26th 2017, 3:30 pm

xsanguine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

That was segregation enforced by the government. The same problem just the coin flipped over.

I think I may be misreading this, but are you saying that it's ok if the government enforced businesses to give everyone of all orientations haircuts, or cakes, or what have you, just like the government eventually forced restaurants to serve people of all colors?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 3:32 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

I think I may be misreading this, but are you saying that it's ok if the government enforced businesses to give everyone of all orientations haircuts, or cakes, or what have you, just like the government eventually forced restaurants to serve people of all colors?

Nah. What I'm saying is that government should not be involved in the decisions of consenting adults. I don't believe the state (or anyone for that matter) should be in the business of initiating force on anyone, period.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by P Rob January 26th 2017, 3:33 pm

xsanguine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Nah. What I'm saying is that government should not be involved in the decisions of consenting adults. I don't believe the state (or anyone for that matter) should be in the business of initiating force on anyone, period.

You mean like let the market decide?!?! STOP WITH THAT CRAZY TALK!
P Rob
P Rob
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 3:36 pm

P Rob wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

It's a pretty unprecedented view, I know.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags January 26th 2017, 3:51 pm

P Rob wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

So, if I want to hire Mexicans who work harder for less but maybe walked over from Nogales last but they're consenting is that cool? Why can't I hire them, pay and tax them and let them go back home everyday?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 3:52 pm

DWags wrote:
P Rob wrote:

So, if I want to hire Mexicans who work harder for less but maybe walked over from Nogales last but they're consenting is that cool? Why can't I hire them, pay and tax them and let them go back home everyday?

Because the government tells you no.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags January 26th 2017, 3:57 pm

xsanguine wrote:
DWags wrote:

Because the government tells you no.

Damn.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 4:08 pm

That's always my reaction, too.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante January 26th 2017, 9:58 pm

We just got this same bill killed in Wyoming today.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante January 26th 2017, 10:01 pm

The problem with your fucking idiotic "market" bullshit is its all a fantasy. Markets incentivize the quashing of competition which makes them never "free" by design. Which is why we neeed regulation. So sick of this ignorant mantra.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine January 26th 2017, 10:11 pm

Rocinante wrote:The problem with your fucking idiotic "market" bullshit is its all a fantasy. Markets incentivize the quashing of competition which makes them never "free" by design. Which is why we neeed regulation. So sick of this ignorant mantra.

Well, hello to you too, Roc.

Quashing competition as opposed to our current situation, how? What regulations are encouraging competition that would not exist in a free market?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags January 26th 2017, 10:23 pm

Rocinante wrote:The problem with your fucking idiotic "market" bullshit is its all a fantasy. Markets incentivize the quashing of competition which makes them never "free" by design. Which is why we neeed regulation. So sick of this ignorant mantra.

I think since the deregulation of the airlines 4 companies control 85% of the market.

To be fair I think both sides of the isle were for it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine January 27th 2017, 8:05 am

DWags wrote:

I think since the deregulation of the airlines 4 companies control 85% of the market.

I'm not taking the time to look it up, but I'm pretty sure if I did I'd find that air fares are pretty cheap compared to before deregulation.
Also, free markets aren't necessarily unregulated, I'm pretty sure airlines are pretty heavily regulated, just no one is telling them what to charge.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by P Rob January 27th 2017, 8:30 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Also Goose. if you're reading this. If you responded more like X I would engage you more often.

I'm sure he's absolutely distraught over the amount of engagement he gets from you, bitch.

Narcissistic much? Jesus get over yourself. You've never had a good take in your life.
P Rob
P Rob
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags January 27th 2017, 10:02 am

Prob seems angry. yes, very angry. Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses etc to refuse gay people  - Page 2 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest January 27th 2017, 11:00 am

DWags wrote:

And although uncomfortable flying somewhere is substantially cheaper than before deregulation.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags January 27th 2017, 11:33 am

No Goose, not quite. Our time in history made us think that shit worked. It didn't. In the following year of deregulation, oil prices dropped by about 70%, maybe you don't remember gas lines, or the embargo, or Jimmy Carter telling us to wear a sweater, but I do. When a bunch of new airlines got in the game, oil prices when downward, it did become much cheaper to fly.

One of my ex players is a pilot, he was telling me that the ten years before deregulation prices fell, way more rapidly than they did after deregulation. Now, you can be charged for a bag overhead, big time for checking bags on etc. Since degregulation, we've seen 4, now three companies corner the market, charge us for carry ons, etc. So, don't confuse oil prices coming down with deregulation of the airlines working. I'm not so sure it did.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine January 27th 2017, 11:40 am

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

And although uncomfortable flying somewhere is substantially cheaper than before deregulation.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by P Rob January 27th 2017, 11:57 am

DWags wrote:No Goose, not quite. Our time in history made us think that shit worked. It didn't. In the following year of deregulation, oil prices dropped by about 70%, maybe you don't remember gas lines, or the embargo, or Jimmy Carter telling us to wear a sweater, but I do. When a bunch of new airlines got in the game, oil prices when downward, it did become much cheaper to fly.

One of my ex players is a pilot, he was telling me that the ten years before deregulation prices fell, way more rapidly than they did after deregulation. Now, you can be charged for a bag overhead, big time for checking bags on etc. Since degregulation, we've seen 4, now three companies corner the market, charge us for carry ons, etc. So, don't confuse oil prices coming down with deregulation of the airlines working. I'm not so sure it did.

There's nothing more hilarious than an obtuse over the hill suburbanite social justice warrior. Dwags used to seem like a reasonable mammal...then he started taking crazy pills. Don't take crazy pills.
P Rob
P Rob
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next