Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil changes

+13
MSU addict
Watch Out Pylon!
InTenSity
GRR Spartan
Travis of the Cosmos
Death Roe
Floyd Robertson
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Izzo Court
kingstonlake
Herbie Green
WhiteBoyHatcher
17 posters

Go down

Oil changes Empty Oil changes

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 26/04/17, 11:33 pm

What do you all do for your oil changes?

I can't stand going to these Jiffy Lube/Uncle Ed's places. Everything is an upsell. I usually refuse all of it. However, I'm not gonna change my oil on my own, either. Yeah, I've done it in my HS/college years but I have zero desire to do it these days. Yet I've paid for what I thought was "better" oil and filters on my current vehicle because it's big, and I want it to last a long time and it fucking costs me $150 every time. Shouldn't this shit be like $40?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Oil changes Empty Re: Oil changes

Post by Herbie Green 26/04/17, 11:42 pm

I pay $40 and I can think of a couple of times these guys saved my ass.
Shout out to the Outshiner boys on Jolly Road and the Jiffy Lube in somewhere Indiana
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 27/04/17, 06:26 am

Do mine by myself. Buy a couple nice ramps, get some synthetic and a mobile 1 filter and call it good. Only pain is the recycling of the oil. Unless your neighbor is a SCum fan, then disposal is easy....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/04/17, 07:09 am

kingstonlake wrote:Do mine by myself. Buy a couple nice ramps, get some synthetic and a mobile 1 filter and call it good. Only pain is the recycling of the oil. Unless your neighbor is a SCum fan, then disposal is easy....

You save the oil to heat the man cave in the winter while you hose a beer and fry a squirrel.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 27/04/17, 07:12 am

I go to Goodyear around Halloween every year for a full synthetic oil change, tire rotation, and alignment. I also buy tires there and get the 3 year alignment so I can take it in every 6 months for 3 years to get the front end aligned.

Quality full synthetic should go up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 27/04/17, 07:23 am

kingstonlake wrote:Do mine by myself. Buy a couple nice ramps, get some synthetic and a mobile 1 filter and call it good. Only pain is the recycling of the oil. Unless your neighbor is a SCum fan, then disposal is easy....
I remember being a kid and my dad changing oil in his truck.. my favorite part was when he'd let me dump the old oil in a hole at the back of the yard.

ahh, the 70's.. Oil changes 502811600 Oil changes 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/04/17, 07:26 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I remember being a kid and my dad changing oil in his truck.. my favorite part was when he'd let me dump the old oil in a hole at the back of the yard.

ahh, the 70's.. Oil changes 502811600 Oil changes 969504605

That was just putting the oil back in the ground - an early version of recycling. My gramps and uncles all saved their used oil on the farm in 5 gallon pails. Then in the summer when the dust would start flying they would "treat" their driveways and farm lanes to keep the dust down.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 27/04/17, 07:32 am

$150 seems like a lot for an oil change.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 27/04/17, 07:35 am

I used to enjoy changing the oil myself until that time I was on my back under the vehicle and my toddler son decided to pick up a hammer and help me out by beating on the car door.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 27/04/17, 07:44 am

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I remember being a kid and my dad changing oil in his truck.. my favorite part was when he'd let me dump the old oil in a hole at the back of the yard.

ahh, the 70's..   Oil changes 502811600   Oil changes 969504605

That was just putting the oil back in the ground - an early version of recycling.    My gramps and uncles all saved their used oil on the farm in 5 gallon pails.   Then in the summer when the dust would start flying they would "treat" their driveways and farm lanes to keep the dust down.
I've been in towns in central America that have this somewhat charming.. warm, rich smell in the air.. I used to think it had something to do with the coffee trade. As it turns out, it was the oil used for that exact purpose - to keep the dust down. Oil changes 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 27/04/17, 07:45 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:I used to enjoy changing the oil myself until that time I was on my back under the vehicle and my toddler son decided to pick up a hammer and help me out by beating on the car door.
Oil changes 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 27/04/17, 07:54 am

Uncle Ed's is the worst.

"Well, it looks like your fuel system needs flushed out, we recommend that every 6 months. That'll ONLY be $129.95!"
"While we're at it, better get your transmission fluid replaced. JUST $149.95!"
"We know your air filter LOOKS good, but is it really in good shape? A new one here is $49.95."
"Look, I believe you when you say your windshield wipers were just replaced, but you can get BRAND NEW ONES RIGHT NOW for just $19.95 per wiper blade!"

I go to my local Chevy dealer. $20-30 a trip and it's a nice dealership.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 27/04/17, 07:58 am

They took my air filter out to point out how terrible it was once and then proceeded to put it back in backwards. 

I don't exactly remember what the result of that was, but I don't think that it was good since I know something or other went wrong a week or two later.

Cars aren't really my thing.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 27/04/17, 08:03 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:They took my air filter out to point out how terrible it was once and then proceeded to put it back in backwards. 

I don't exactly remember what the result of that was, but I don't think that it was good since I know something or other went wrong a week or two later.

Cars aren't really my thing.

Make sure to replace your horn fluid once a year, Travis.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 27/04/17, 09:20 am

Autozone and a few other places accept used oil. So far they don't charge but that will probably change.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 27/04/17, 09:31 am

I spoke about it elsewhere but I won't be getting under a car on ramps anytime soon. Maybe I will just go to the dealer. Don't dealers try to upsell you on all kinds of service, too?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 27/04/17, 09:39 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I spoke about it elsewhere but I won't be getting under a car on ramps anytime soon. Maybe I will just go to the dealer. Don't dealers try to upsell you on all kinds of service, too?
Anywhere you go will try to upsell you. Its the nature of the beast.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 27/04/17, 09:39 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

That was just putting the oil back in the ground - an early version of recycling.    My gramps and uncles all saved their used oil on the farm in 5 gallon pails.   Then in the summer when the dust would start flying they would "treat" their driveways and farm lanes to keep the dust down.
I've been in towns in central America that have this somewhat charming.. warm, rich smell in the air.. I used to think it had something to do with the coffee trade. As it turns out, it was the oil used for that exact purpose - to keep the dust down. Oil changes 502811600

My grandpa used to do the same thing. My dad used to burn used oil in his furnace out in his garage. The good old days.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 27/04/17, 10:13 am

I hate to admit it, but I go to Walmart.  It is among the cheapest options and they will put in any brand and type of oil that you want

No up-sell and I actually trust that they put in the oil that I pay for.

I have known one too many people who own oil change places to actually trust that they are putting in the full synthetic you are paying twice the amount for.

Last edited by MSU addict on 27/04/17, 01:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 27/04/17, 10:30 am

I just go to the dealership where I bought the car. 40 bucks plus rotating the tires and car wash. They also give me a report card of everything on the car. Never had an issue with them trying to upsell
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 27/04/17, 11:18 am

Stoops21 wrote:I just go to the dealership where I bought the car. 40 bucks plus rotating the tires and car wash. They also give me a report card of everything on the car. Never had an issue with them trying to upsell

Ford, right?

The Works is awesome.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 27/04/17, 11:20 am

Usually take mine to the dealership I bought it from - they are actually a better deal than some of the smaller places around town. If I'm looking for it in a hurry, though, I'll usually just take it through a locally-owned oil shack.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 27/04/17, 12:16 pm

could also check groupon/other coupon apps/company website for deals

never heard of them - 10 bucks
https://www.groupon.com/deals/brakes-xpress-and-more-goodyear

valvoline chesterfield - $19
https://www.groupon.com/deals/valvoline-instant-oil-change-chesterfield-5

valvoline farmington hills - 21.50 to 44
https://www.groupon.com/deals/valvoline-instant-oil-change-bluewater-2

fastlane canton - $26
https://www.groupon.com/deals/fastlane-quick-oil-change-2
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 27/04/17, 01:31 pm

oops
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 27/04/17, 09:28 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:What do you all do for your oil changes?

I can't stand going to these Jiffy Lube/Uncle Ed's places. Everything is an upsell. I usually refuse all of it. However, I'm not gonna change my oil on my own, either. Yeah, I've done it in my HS/college years but I have zero desire to do it these days. Yet I've paid for what I thought was "better" oil and filters on my current vehicle because it's big, and I want it to last a long time and it fucking costs me $150 every time. Shouldn't this shit be like $40?
A Mobil 1 oil change should not cost more than $80 and should be the only oil change for about 12 months. Good oil change places will crack the seals on synthetic oil containers right in front of you. Don't be afraid to get out of your vehicle to make sure what you're paying for gets poured in.

Other than that, read your owner's manual for recommended fluid and filter changes. With that knowledge you can either say "no thanks" or inquire what it will cost if near the manual's suggested maintenance timeline for miles on the vehicle. Again, get out of your car to watch them do it,

Wear slip resistant shoes
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum