Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loose, two quick questions (re: 3,000 book library)

5 posters

Go down

Loose, two quick questions (re: 3,000 book library) Empty Loose, two quick questions (re: 3,000 book library)

Post by Turtleneck Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:27 am

With that many books, you are clearly well read about a variety of subjects. I am sure you must have a large collection of books about history and politics, right?

In your opinion, what was the most influential book about international politics written in the 20th Century? Also, there are a lot of stories popping up drawing parallels to U.S. foreign policy under Trump and the rise and fall of ancient Athens, specifically drawing insights from Thucydides. They are fascinating. Do you see these parallels as well?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Loose, two quick questions (re: 3,000 book library) Empty Re: Loose, two quick questions (re: 3,000 book library)

Post by kingstonlake Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:41 am

English please....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Loose, two quick questions (re: 3,000 book library) Empty Re: Loose, two quick questions (re: 3,000 book library)

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:23 am

Is 3000 big for a library? I guess I've never really thought about how many books are in the library. Library dick measuring contests as a thing I feel like I could get down for.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:27 am

Holy shit my local library apparently has 250,000 according to the internet.

You fuckers can suck on that big fat one. Eat my shit.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:37 am

3,000 makes for a very nice personal library.

3,000 is small for a public library, but that is a great private collection.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:42 am

Turtleneck wrote:3,000 makes for a very nice personal library.

Yeah I figured that out once I found out that I have that monster hog
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:52 am

Turtleneck wrote:3,000 makes for a very nice personal library.

I've never counted, just estimating. But that's 50 years of collecting books. I was going to sell 99% of them when I moved a couple years ago but my kids (all of whom read extensively) objected. All but my current reading now reside at my daughter's house and I send a box down now and then as I fill them. There are roughly 160 lineal feet of bookshelves full including the normal piles in front of the neatly placed books. There's also a walk in closet with probably another 30-50 moving size boxes full. None of them are particularly valuable but I've kept nearly every book I've ever purchased over a lifetime of reading.

I also keep a Little Free Library at my house, if you want to promote reading you should think about that.
Little Free Library

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:53 am

Turtleneck wrote:With that many books, you are clearly well read about a variety of subjects. I am sure you must have a large collection of books about history and politics, right?

In your opinion, what was the most influential book about international politics written in the 20th Century? Also, there are a lot of stories popping up drawing parallels to U.S. foreign policy under Trump and the rise and fall of ancient Athens, specifically drawing insights from Thucydides. They are fascinating. Do you see these parallels as well?

Nope. Most of the books are history. Very little on politics.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:58 am

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:With that many books, you are clearly well read about a variety of subjects. I am sure you must have a large collection of books about history and politics, right?

Nope. Most of the books are history. Very little on politics.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:12 am

That's alot of cook books
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:19 am

kingstonlake wrote:That's alot of cook books

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=raw+milk&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Araw+milk
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:59 am

By the way, history and politics go hand-in-hand. That should be obvious to a student of history like yourself, Goose.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Turtleneck wrote:By the way, history and politics go hand-in-hand. That should be obvious to a student of history like yourself, Goose.

thank you, I never thought of such a thing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:27 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:By the way, history and politics go hand-in-hand. That should be obvious to a student of history like yourself, Goose.

So no answer to either question? These are very simple questions for a person with such a deep knowledge of history and a personal library of 3,000 books.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:40 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

So no answer to either question? These are very simple questions for a person with such a deep knowledge of history and a personal library of 3,000 books.

Nah, I'll refrain.

I read a lot, always have. I remember my teacher isolating me in the cardboard pilgrim's cabin in 1st grade so I could read undisturbed.

That doesn't mean I want to play your game. Sorry.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:32 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

He might be a bibliotaph. I'm guessing he's a bibliophile
I don't read enough good books. Then I tend to re-read the classics. I'm probably a two a year guy. I know, that's pathetic.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Nah, I'll refrain.

I read a lot, always have. I remember my teacher isolating me in the cardboard pilgrim's cabin in 1st grade so I could read undisturbed.

That doesn't mean I want to play your game. Sorry.

These are very straight forward questions for a person like yourself. Especially the first question. Asking for a book title is a game? I mean, you fancy yourself a historian, political scientist, economist, marine biologist, pathologist, particle physicist, anthropologist, geneticist, astronomer, sociologist, psychologist, and botanist.

This is not a game, Goose. Since politics is also inherently about the study of history, I do find it odd that you said you had mostly history books but few books about politics. Nonetheless, I would like to hear your take on the most influential book about international politics written in the 20th Century.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:24 am

DWags wrote:

I'm probably a two a year guy. I know, that's pathetic.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/23/who-doesnt-read-books-in-america/?utm_content=buffer7f979&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:05 am

Bump
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:31 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

You guys keep swallowing all the shit these turds are feeding you.

Loose, I always thought this was a place to discuss without media bias and turds flying everywhere. Are you interested in having an original discussion?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Nah, every time I try that it turns into a pile on. Not worth committing to. I prefer to drop in as the mood strikes.

PS - I'm sorry so many of your liberal reporter pals are turning out to be sexual predators.

PPS - Now you can be like Bob and claim to have never heard of them.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:54 pm

I have heard of them. I see Charlie Rose has also been accused. I am not surprised that powerful men use their power to harass and assault women. I have no idea why people are shocked by any of these stories and alleged behaviors and crimes.

Anyway, I have never encountered a person who knows so little but is otherwise convinced they are a fountain of knowledge.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:37 pm

I may well never read an actual book again in my life. No time for that shit. If I can't finish it in one dump, I'm not interested.

It's been half a decade since I last read a book, and double that if we're talking recreationally.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down