Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSU student dies from apparent heroin OD

+13
duffy munn
GRR Spartan
Cameron
Rodeo Burger
InTenSity
Dendrobates
Jake from State Farm
Senior Dickfist
The Pantry
Nordic
Stoops21
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

MSU student dies from apparent heroin OD - Page 2 Empty Re: MSU student dies from apparent heroin OD

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-08-21, 10:21

if anyone has authority in this thread, it's poster "MSU addict"..

Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

MSU student dies from apparent heroin OD - Page 2 Empty Re: MSU student dies from apparent heroin OD

Post by DWags 2017-08-21, 10:32

gHost Spartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

Well then, there you go, no worries. That shit never happens. I'll tell my daughter she didn't have to go to that funeral this June, that shit doesn't happen.

If someone approached your daughter, handed her a needle full of heroin, what do you think she'd do?

I'm 90% certain she'd decline. I'm 0% certain all of her friends would, because damn, one of them didn't. Life's weird that way with teenagers. But you already probably know that. Right?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-08-21, 10:36

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

Well then, there you go, no worries.  That shit never happens.  I'll tell my daughter she didn't have to go to that funeral this June, that shit doesn't happen.
knowing this sounds condescending, I suspect his tune will change once a harsh reality is introduced into his blissfully theoretical world.

Yeah, raising two kids through their teens just kicked my ass. And I mean it was like a truck running me over. Theory vs reality in the teenage world usually sees reality winning in a knock out in the first round.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-08-21, 10:40

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
knowing this sounds condescending, I suspect his tune will change once a harsh reality is introduced into his blissfully theoretical world.

Yeah, raising two kids through their teens just kicked my ass.  And I mean it was like a truck running me over.  Theory vs reality in the teenage world usually sees reality winning in a knock out in the first round.
yep.

and that's with the "good" kids - who everyone tells you "no, she's a good kid.. you don't need to worry about her"..

yeah, right. I mean she's a good kid.. and thanks for saying that - but it just takes one stupid decision - and the train goes off the rails just like that.. and life will never, ever, be the same.

(I know I'm preaching to the choir here, by the way).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-08-21, 16:30

DWags wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:

DWags, I took the liberty to edit and attribute to gHost what is gHost's.

Cool.  I enjoy reading the people who have all the answers.  They need to write how to books.

What the hell is that all about?

The idea that involved parents know haven't had teenagers with friends who have friends and .....so on.

Don't know about your two but my daughter is about 12 years older which put her in HS 18 years ago.  She'd be invited out with some of her teammates and  take a pass because of the people others invited to "parties".

My late father used to say you better teach character and honesty early because by the time they're 15 its too late.  

I used to think he was a pessimist.  After raising 2 and avoiding major calamities I think he was right.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2017-08-21, 16:38; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-08-21, 16:34

gHost Spartan wrote:
MSU addict wrote:Do you really think that is how kids become addicts?

1 in 3 people in this country is prescribed opiates as a pain reliever EVERY year. A whole bunch of research tells is that opiates alter brain chemistry and function.

Most people simply transition to heroin from prescription pain killers. It is simply much cheaper. Expect to pay $30+ for one Oxycontin on the street - heroin is around $8 where I live (more expensive than many parts of the US).

Kids start taking pills before they start sticking a needle in their body.

I agree with you. My point was simply that it's very, very, very unusual for a normal kid with no substance abuse history to start using hardcore drugs like heroin while in college. As I mentioned earlier, the people that I sent to prison were generally those with a lengthy, traceable substance abuse history - most were poor, but obviously there are exceptions.

It's absolutely absurd to think that any well-reasoned normal kid without any mental health or substance abuse issues would just all of a sudden try heroin. I'm sure there's examples but it's not normal at all.

In what capacity did you send people to prison?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-08-21, 17:26

gHost Spartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

I'm 90% certain she'd decline. I'm 0% certain all of her friends would, because damn, one of them didn't. Life's weird that way with teenagers. But you already probably know that. Right?
You're being dishonest bro. You know damn sure that if someone handed her a needle full of heroin that there's a 99.9% chance that she'd say "fuck you" and walk away.

And I'm 100% sure that at least one of her friends she danced with and was two days away from graduation and had no history of abuse said yes one night. For the first time. And died. This June. So, there that. I'd bet money on my kid saying no, but there was a horrifying death we all went through. So, I'd keep it at 90% and a lot of prayers. Trust me.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-08-21, 17:32

GRR Spartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

Cool.  I enjoy reading the people who have all the answers.  They need to write how to books.

What the hell is that all about?

The idea that involved parents know haven't had teenagers with friends who have friends and .....so on.

Don't know about your two but my daughter is about 12 years older which put her in HS 18 years ago.  She'd be invited out with some of her teammates and  take a pass because of the people others invited to "parties".

My late father used to say you better teach character and honesty early because by the time they're 15 its too late.  

I used to think he was a pessimist.  After raising 2 and avoiding major calamities I think he was right.

With one in college and one a senior in high school and growing up with a shit ton of their friends in my house and seeing some from the same family become "successful" and some of their siblings do some really stupid. Ad shit and knowing all of their parents, you can predict a certain level of success for most of them but I'm never shocked anymore by anything.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-08-21, 19:56

I'm totally uneducated on this subject, but I would have thought there'd be quite a few deaths for first timers trying heroin, for two obvious reasons: Air bubbles in the needle, or using too much of the drug. But what the hell do I know? Everything I've learned I got from internet sports message board users.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-08-21, 20:15

gHost Spartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

And I'm 100% sure that at least one of her friends she danced with and was two days away from graduation and had no history of abuse said yes one night. For the first time. And died. This June. So, there that. I'd bet money on my kid saying no, but there was a horrifying death we all went through. So, I'd keep it at 90% and a lot of prayers. Trust me.

It is a horrifying death. I do not disagree with you. But do you know how unusual this is? I mean, this is like a 1 and a million (probably higher) percentage situation. And I'd be willing to bet that you either don't know the whole truth because the parents are too embarrassed or ashamed to fully disclose her issues or she made one of the most unfathomable decisions imaginable, defying all logic and everything kids are taught about drugs. It's incredibly tragic but I think there's probably more to the story. It's similar to that Texas doctor a few weeks ago that took those kids hiking on a trail with insufficient water in the Grand Canyon in the middle of summer. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how an educated person would jeopardize her life and the lives of those children. People make deadly mistakes.

No, I don't know the story, but my daughter does. Girl was clean. Dancer and a decent student. But I'm not interested in trying to convince you. You'll have all this shit figured out. I'm jealous. Salute.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2