Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Controversial Take- I don’t really like college overtime

+10
StylesGShmooth
SPARTASOTAN
Robert J Sakimano
Herbie Green
Dendrobates
GRR Spartan
y2kMgrad
Frank Ricard
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
14 posters

Go down

Controversial Take- I don’t really like college overtime Empty Controversial Take- I don’t really like college overtime

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 20:18

Maybe I’m just playing contrarian I don’t know.

Anyway, I think it’s a bit of a bastardization of the game, similar to soccer penalty kicks. It’s not really quite the same game anymore. The plays are the the same and all that but it’s just something different at that point. I dunno. The strategy involved I guess. I can’t quite put my finger on exactly what it is.

To me the perfect overtime would be basically the NFLs except instead of “you can’t win on a field goal in the first possession” it would just be “you can’t win on the first possession but any time after that you can and we’re gonna go until someone scores.” But I understand injury concerns and why that prolly isn’t feasible.

Commence yelling at me. I know all y’all love it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Controversial Take- I don’t really like college overtime Empty Re: Controversial Take- I don’t really like college overtime

Post by Turtleneck Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 20:21

The NCAA changed it for next year. In 2018, kickers will trade field goals until one kicker makes what the other misses. The ball will be placed at the 10 to start, and then moved back five yards each round.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Controversial Take- I don’t really like college overtime Empty Re: Controversial Take- I don’t really like college overtime

Post by DWags Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 20:22

Turtleneck wrote:The NCAA changed it for next year. In 2018, kickers will trade field goals until one kicker makes what the other misses. The ball will be placed at the 10 to start, and then moved back five yards each round.

Isnt that like soccer. Fuck that.

Last edited by DWags on Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 20:24; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 20:24

Turtleneck wrote:The NCAA changed it for next year. In 2018, kickers will trade field goals until one kicker makes what the other misses. The ball will be placed at the 10 to start, and then moved back five yards each round.

Please avoid bad jokes until the thread gets started a bit turtleneck. I mean, I also said soccer is bad, but it has similar “there’s only so many ways feasible to solve a tie” problems (prolly why they just accept ties except for when it’s impossible.)

Getting the ball alternating at the 25 simply is not what football is. That’s not how the game works. It’s not good.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 20:30

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Please avoid bad jokes until the thread gets started a bit turtleneck. I mean, I also said soccer is bad, but it has similar “there’s only so many ways feasible to solve a tie” problems (prolly why they just accept ties except for when it’s impossible.)

Getting the ball alternating at the 25 simply is not what football is. That’s not how the game works. It’s not good.

It's not a joke. Look it up, bro. Geez.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 20:35

I'd like it to start on the 35 where you'd have to at least get a first down to get in legit FG range.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 20:36

True. But you take the kick out of it. Too dangerous. Then you make if pretty fair. I like it.

Basketball and baseball areprobably the best overtimes. Football third. Soccer is just stupid.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 20:37

Frank Ricard wrote:I'd like it to start on the 35 where you'd have to at least get a first down to get in legit FG range.

I think each team should pick three players, go the basketball arena, and play 3 on 3 to determine the winner. Play to 11, win by two.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 20:37

Frank Ricard wrote:I'd like it to start on the 35 where you'd have to at least get a first down to get in legit FG range.

If we’re pushing it back I’d go to the 50 or even your own 40.

Actually, I like that. Your own 40.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:14

I like it better than the NFL, but I don't really like either very much. Maybe move it back to the 50, but then I can see games where neither team can score for several overtime periods.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:21

y2kMgrad wrote:I like it better than the NFL, but I don't really like either very much. Maybe move it back to the 50, but then I can see games where neither team can score for several overtime periods.

Then I’d say set a limit and call it a tie. Sometimes shit is just inseparable. But I’m more comfortable with that concept than most.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:27

OT rules bail out conference administrators who don't want to work with more contingencies on who goes to championship games.  I like it because it removes the the Parseghian escape.

I agree with Frank R.  Start it out on the 35.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:27

I support whatever Travis decides.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:28

I actually don't mind it. Like others have said, maybe move it to the 35/40 yard line. I think they're hesitant because than player may play longer, which could lead to more injuries.

The NFL OT is fucking stupid. Pretty much whomever wins the coin toss wins the game. It's terrible at determining who wins.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:30

Welcome to swill go blog
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:34

Dendrobates wrote:I actually don't mind it. Like others have said, maybe move it to the 35/40 yard line. I think they're hesitant because than player may play longer, which could lead to more injuries.

The NFL OT is fucking stupid. Pretty much whomever wins the coin toss wins the game. It's terrible at determining who wins.
agree. I don't mind it. Move the start back to the 40 or so, though.

We win today, this thread wouldn't even exist.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:38

Herbie Green wrote:Welcome to swill go blog

Oh stop it herbie I’ve said this for years. We just haven’t had an overtime game to chit chat about it in awhile
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:40

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:I actually don't mind it. Like others have said, maybe move it to the 35/40 yard line. I think they're hesitant because than player may play longer, which could lead to more injuries.

agree. I don't mind it. Move the start back to the 40 or so, though.

Can’t tell you that for sure- I can tell you that my friends heard about my misgivings before the game was over. If that makes you feel better bob.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTASOTAN Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:41

I agree with it being hard to put finger on it, so I say in it!
SPARTASOTAN
SPARTASOTAN
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:43

You like really felt this way before but just wanted to incidentally start this really brilliant chill thread tonight.

That makes sense.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:45

Robert J Sakimano wrote:agree. I don't mind it. Move the start back to the 40 or so, though.

Can’t tell you that for sure- I can tell you that my friends heard about my misgivings before the game was over. If that makes you feel better bob.
you're a fine citizen, a great Spartan, and I believe you.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:47

Herbie Green wrote:You like really felt this way before but just wanted to incidentally start this really brilliant chill thread tonight.

That makes sense.

Pretty much yeah herbie. I’m sorry that we’re not buds and haven’t hung out, but I have said this for awhile. Perhaps I should have waited three years until the next time were in overtime? Would that have made you feel better?

Actually when was our last ot game? I feel like it’s been awhile. I don’t remember a lot of last year though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 21:50

54% of coin toss winners win the game in NFL. 52% of teams that go second in the NCAA win. There's advantages sure but they're far from forgone concussions.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 22:24

Herbie Green wrote:You like really felt this way before but just wanted to incidentally start this really brilliant chill thread tonight.

That makes sense.

Pretty much yeah herbie. I’m sorry that we’re not buds and haven’t hung out, but I have said this for awhile. Perhaps I should have waited three years until the next time were in overtime? Would that have made you feel better?

Actually when was our last ot game? I feel like it’s been awhile. I don’t remember a lot of last year though.

This would be the top thread that Mgoblog would be laughing at right now.  If they knew this place existed
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 28 Oct 2017 - 22:26

Herbie Green wrote:

This would be the top thread that Mgoblog would be laughing at right now.  If they knew this place existed

I’m sorry herbie but there is literally nothing I can do to tell you that I have thought college overtime was stupid for years now. I’m sorry about the timing :(

Also welcome to the board maybe stick around when we win too :)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 8:09

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Maybe I’m just playing contrarian I don’t know.

Anyway, I think it’s a bit of a bastardization of the game, similar to soccer penalty kicks. It’s not really quite the same game anymore. The plays are the the same and all that but it’s just something different at that point. I dunno. The strategy involved I guess. I can’t quite put my finger on exactly what it is.

To me the perfect overtime would be basically the NFLs except instead of “you can’t win on a field goal in the first possession” it would just be “you can’t win on the first possession but any time after that you can and we’re gonna go until someone scores.” But I understand injury concerns and why that prolly isn’t feasible.

Commence yelling at me. I know all y’all love it.

Not sure what the right answer is, but taking a game played a certain way and then playing it completely different for OT is idiotic. Why not just flip a coin at the end of regulation to see which team is awarded a point, and the win.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 8:13

If we’re pushing it back I’d go to the 50 or even your own 40.

Actually, I like that. Your own 40.

Why take special teams out of it? Flip a coin. Winner gets ball. Kickoff to that team. Play game as usual. Heck just add a time and play until the end. Extra period of 10 minutes or something. Anything.

Ball on the 25 is stupid though. Other than that I got nothing. And I feel that way even if we win on Saturday. Stupid 2 pt conversion rule.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 8:43

OT is better than the old days where a game would end in a tie.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 8:52

steveschneider wrote:OT is better than the old days where a game would end in a tie.

You mean the "no OT" days? Yeah, agreed. Somewhere between no OT and a stupid OT is your sweet spot.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 9:07

I just wish they went to NFL overtime, but not timed per se. Touchdown on first drive wins it, field goal lets other team have a chance to tie/win, that's it.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 9:51

Death Roe wrote:I just wish they went to NFL overtime, but not timed per se. Touchdown on first drive wins it, field goal lets other team have a chance to tie/win, that's it.

How about give each team the ball once. At the end of one drive for each team the game either ends as a win, loss or a tie? Fair and equitable.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 12:18

steveschneider wrote:
Death Roe wrote:I just wish they went to NFL overtime, but not timed per se. Touchdown on first drive wins it, field goal lets other team have a chance to tie/win, that's it.

How about give each team the ball once. At the end of one drive for each team the game either ends as a win, loss or a tie? Fair and equitable.

Use total yards gained to break the tie?
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 12:33

Why break the tie? If the teams are equally matched the teams are equally matched.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 12:53

TheReal_LWS wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

What if both teams finish with the same amount of yards gained?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 7:32

gHost Spartan wrote:It's weird how when I talk to my English buddies from overseas study they're totally okay with a "draw" - last year we talked about it for hours. To them, it's perfectly acceptable and they find it fascinating at how Americans are so uptight about how someone always has to win. Great conversation.

If it wasn't for us they'd still be getting carpet bombed by the Germans.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 7:33

steveschneider wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

Cheerleader mud wrestling, winner take all.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 8:19

steveschneider wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

Coaching staff fights.  Put a ring in the middle of the field.  All staff members jump in the ring.  Start throwing them out of the ring.  Last man in the ring wins it for his school.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 9:01

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Coaching staff fights.  Put a ring in the middle of the field.  All staff members jump in the ring.  Start throwing them out of the ring.  Last man in the ring wins it for his school.

What if the last guy for each team falls out of the ring at the exact same time?
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 9:23

TheReal_LWS wrote:
DWags wrote:

What if the last guy for each team falls out of the ring at the exact same time?

I don't think that's possible, but if so, it comes down to beer bong contest.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 9:44

gHost Spartan wrote:It's weird how when I talk to my English buddies from overseas study they're totally okay with a "draw" - last year we talked about it for hours. To them, it's perfectly acceptable and they find it fascinating at how Americans are so uptight about how someone always has to win. Great conversation.

I can live with a tie, it just sucked in the old days when at the end of the fourth the game was done. Just give each team one set of drives to put points on the board starting from the 25, from their your team can either win, lose or tie. I like how the college OT is at the very least equitable. In the NFL the team that wins the coin flip has a huge advantage.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down