Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am old enough to remember when Loose was concerned about public officials having respect for rule of law

5 posters

Go down

I am old enough to remember when Loose was concerned about public officials having respect for rule of law Empty I am old enough to remember when Loose was concerned about public officials having respect for rule of law

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-08, 19:20

But whatever tattered shred of rug may have remained under Rosenstein’s feet, Trump quickly yanked it away when he gave a talk radio interview to WMAL in which he addressed his attitude towards the Justice Department and the FBI with this remarkable comment:

But you know, the saddest thing is, because I am the President of the United States, I am not supposed to be involved with the Justice Department. I’m not supposed to be involved with the FBI. I’m not supposed to be doing the kind of things I would love to be doing and I am very frustrated by it. I look at what’s happening with the Justice Department, why aren’t they going after Hillary Clinton with her emails and with her dossier, and the kind of money… I don’t know, is it possible that they paid $12.4 million for the dossier…which is total phony, fake, fraud and how is it used? It’s very discouraging to me. I’ll be honest, I’m very unhappy with it, that the Justice Department isn’t going…maybe they are but you know as President, and I think you understand this, as a President you’re not supposed to be involved in that process. But hopefully they are doing something and at some point, maybe we are going to all have it out (emphasis added).

https://lawfareblog.com/saddest-thing-president-trump-acknowledges-constraint

He should have read the Constitution before running for office. He would have discovered the office does not come with the powers of a king, and he would have likely abandoned his campaign. He repeatedly expresses his frustration with checks on presidential powers, attempts to undermine those checks, and generally disrespects the rule of law.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I am old enough to remember when Loose was concerned about public officials having respect for rule of law Empty Re: I am old enough to remember when Loose was concerned about public officials having respect for rule of law

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-08, 19:32

This is, to be clear, no thanks to Trump himself. One way the system could have worked was if the president learned the norms and rules of the presidency and adapted to them. That hasn’t happened — if anything, the opposite has occurred. Trump’s behavior has gotten worse. He clearly views himself as a monarch more than a president, taking credit for anything good and claiming he has powers that he does not. He has tried to cajole the FBI and Department of Justice to investigate his political opponents.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2017/11/08/its-been-a-year-how-well-is-americas-constitutional-democracy-doing/?utm_term=.15daf0fa3225
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I am old enough to remember when Loose was concerned about public officials having respect for rule of law Empty Re: I am old enough to remember when Loose was concerned about public officials having respect for rule of law

Post by kingstonlake 2017-11-08, 19:38

Classic case of "I know I'm guilty but what about them".
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-11-09, 12:09

Trump wants to make it possible for US corporations to bribe.

https://qz.com/927217/one-of-the-worlds-best-weapons-against-bribery-and-corruption-is-under-threat-from-trump/
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-11-09, 14:57

A President is supposed to have fairly little power on their own. It's weird how many people think the President can do a lot more than he can. But it's scary when one of those people is the President himself.

But what's concerning is that Congresspeople that belong to the same party as a sitting President are beholden to him because they feel they need his endorsement in their next election. It removes a big part of the independence that Congress is supposed to have. I hate to be the "there oughtta be a law" guy, but there really should be a law that a sitting President can not endorse, campaign for, or raise money for any Congressional candidates. Of course, since the people who could make such a law are the ones that benefit from the absence of such a law, it will never happen.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-11-09, 15:31

MiamiSpartan wrote:A President is supposed to have fairly little power on their own. It's weird how many people think the President can do a lot more than he can. But it's scary when one of those people is the President himself.

But what's concerning is that Congresspeople that belong to the same party as a sitting President are beholden to him because they feel they need his endorsement in their next election. It removes a big part of the independence that Congress is supposed to have. I hate to be the "there oughtta be a law" guy, but there really should be a law that a sitting President can not endorse, campaign for, or raise money for any Congressional candidates. Of course, since the people who could make such a law are the ones that benefit from the absence of such a law, it will never happen.
yep.

but it's what happens when you put power/party over country. And it's compounded when you have very little as it relates to ethics and morality to begin with.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down