Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jim & Andy (Andy Kaufman)

4 posters

Go down

Jim & Andy (Andy Kaufman)  Empty Jim & Andy (Andy Kaufman)

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-17, 11:26

This looks amazing. I'm also really enjoying this new Jim Carrey phase where he's some weirdo hippie/existentialist. He's a fascinating dude.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Jim & Andy (Andy Kaufman)  Empty Re: Jim & Andy (Andy Kaufman)

Post by Rocinante 2017-11-17, 11:33

I don't know. I wouldn't put it past people to have planned this all along, but it just didn't get greenlit until now.

Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-17, 11:46

Rocinante wrote:I don't know. I wouldn't put it past people to have planned this all along, but it just didn't get greenlit until now.

I'd rather hear this story from his current point of view. He's 18 years removed the project and can better reflect on his early career and that project.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-11-17, 13:14

steveschneider wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I don't know. I wouldn't put it past people to have planned this all along, but it just didn't get greenlit until now.

I'd rather hear this story from his current point of view. He's 18 years removed the project and can better reflect on his early career and that project.

I agree. His performance was pretty awesome, and a documentary about it would be cool, but this waxes of "I'm still here". Like a meta performance piece thing.... I am jaded.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-17, 13:21

Rocinante wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I agree. His performance was pretty awesome, and a documentary about it would be cool, but this waxes of "I'm still here". Like a meta performance piece thing..... I am jaded.

I’m probably one of the few people that actually like I’m Still Here. I saw it in the theater in a packed house and the place was laughing hard. Maybe it was just the fun crowd in that theater that made me enjoy it so much.

I’m a huge Kaufman fan so I’ll see this one, and after seeing that recent piece on Jim’s art I’m pretty fascinated by him as well. My friend told me he went to the premier of this doc and they did a tribute to John cage’s 4:33 where everyone in the theater sat in silence. It’s fitting for this project, wish i had been there to see it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-11-17, 13:33

I'm still here is fine, but you really enjoy stuff like this when you believe it, and having people say "this is totally real" and then it not being real ruins it.

It's like the Blair Witch, or that movie about alien abductions in Alaska. If somebody tells you ahead of time it's not real, it kinda sucks. When you think it might be real, it's like the most interesting thing on the planet.

And if I can convince myself to believe them that it's real, I'll probably love it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-17, 13:36

Rocinante wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I agree. His performance was pretty awesome, and a documentary about it would be cool, but this waxes of "I'm still here". Like a meta performance piece thing..... I am jaded.

You're onto something with that take. I'm looking forward to seeing this, but this trailer, with Jim talking about Jim as Andy, seems contrived. He comes across like an old superstar athlete who's interviewed to talk about how special he was.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-17, 14:18

I'm not sure how much of this movie is a put on though, I think it's more of a look at an artist that went to great lengths to achieve his performance.

When the movie came out in 1999 it was established back then that he didn't break from character off camera.

Also, after reading stuff about how playing the joker tormented Heath Ledger or all the crazy shit Daniel Day-Lewis does to get into his roles I'm pretty fascinated to get a behind the scenes look.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-17, 14:42

steveschneider wrote:I'm not sure how much of this movie is a put on though, I think it's more of a look at an artist that went to great lengths to achieve his performance.

When the movie came out in 1999 it was established back then that he didn't break from character off camera.

Also, after reading stuff about how playing the joker tormented Heath Ledger or all the crazy shit Daniel Day-Lewis does to get into his roles I'm pretty fascinated to get a behind the scenes look.

Then they've achieved their goal. Your statement crystallizes the essential Andy Kaufman.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-30, 10:18

Watched the documentary last night. Had mixed feelings about the whole thing. Overall if you are a fan of Andy Kaufman it's good.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-11-30, 10:31

steveschneider wrote:Watched the documentary last night. Had mixed feelings about the whole thing. Overall if you are a fan of Andy Kaufman it's good.

Did they say where he is now 34 years after faking his death?
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-11-30, 10:36

Okay read the story that was linked. Dude is either crazy, on drugs, or both.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-30, 10:44

TheReal_LWS wrote:Okay read the story that was linked. Dude is either crazy, on drugs, or both.

Yeah, he's a weird guy there's no question about it. I'd say the big take away from this film is about method acting and the impact it had on Jim Carrey. He comes out the otherside of each movie a different person and it seems like it takes a huge toll on him. There's a reason he hasn't done that many films as of late. There's points in his method acting where I think he took it way too far and messed with peoples emotions.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-11-30, 10:49

steveschneider wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:Okay read the story that was linked. Dude is either crazy, on drugs, or both.

Yeah, he's a weird guy there's no question about it. I'd say the big take away from this film is about method acting and the impact it had on Jim Carrey. He comes out the otherside of each movie a different person and it seems like it takes a huge toll on him. There's a reason he hasn't done that many films as of late. There's points in his method acting where I think he took it way too far and messed with peoples emotions.

Yeah that probably is part of it. I think the other part is that as he aged he was less interested in doing Ace Ventura and Lloyd Christmas type roles, and the movie makers were dangling those types of roles at him in an effort to capitalize on what he is known most for.

I think Jim Carrey I think more Dumb and Dumber, and less Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-30, 10:55

TheReal_LWS wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Yeah that probably is part of it. I think the other part is that as he aged he was less interested in doing Ace Ventura and Lloyd Christmas type roles, and the movie makers were dangling those types of roles at him in an effort to capitalize on what he is known most for.

I think Jim Carrey I think more Dumb and Dumber, and less Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Funny you mention that because in that film it made me remember Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Forgot how much I loved Truman Show back in the day and I want to revisit that one. I think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind actually really fucked him up, he had to play a sad depressed guy for a long time. He hasn't made many films since that one.

He's way into painting these days -

https://vimeo.com/226379658

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-11-30, 10:56

Also, that film goes over the entire Ace Ventura, Mask and Dumb and Dumber era of Jim Carrey. If you are interested in him it's a pretty fascinating look at his career and his weird mind.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-11-30, 11:27

steveschneider wrote:Also, that film goes over the entire Ace Ventura, Mask and Dumb and Dumber era of Jim Carrey. If you are interested in him it's a pretty fascinating look at his career and his weird mind.

I'd like to see it but don't have Netflix.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down