Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley

+2
Travis of the Cosmos
Turtleneck
6 posters

Go down

Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley Empty Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-19, 21:26

Graduate of Harvard Law School Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley 2714

Currently employed in the Department of Justice’s Office of Legal Policy Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley 2714

Former Deputy Solicitor General for the state of Alabama Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley 2714

Ghost hunter and paranormal investigator Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley 2714

Has never tried a case and has no trial experience Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley 2714

Possibly defended the KKK on a University of Alabama message board Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley 2714

When asked by the Senate to disclose potential conflicts of interest, did not disclose his wife is a senior lawyer in the White House Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley 2714
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley Empty Re: Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-19, 21:30

Trump is doing no legitimate harm in his first year Turtleneck. I read that somewhere.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley Empty Re: Trump nominee for federal judgeship, Brett Joseph Talley

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-19, 21:38

Also can we talk about lifetime appointments for any position ever?

My take- stupid stupid stupid. This isn’t 1790 anymore when you got the flu when you were 55 then a doctor gave you a sniff of ginger and if that didn’t cure you you died.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-19, 21:46

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Also can we talk about lifetime appointments for any position ever?

My take- stupid stupid stupid. This isn’t 1790 anymore when you got the flu when you were 55 then a doctor gave you a sniff of ginger and if that didn’t cure you you died.

That is not why we have lifetime appointments. We have lifetime appointments to insulate judges from politics. I have always been fine with lifetime appointments, although you can certainly suggest they are undemocratic with no argument from me. Thank goodness the framers were not fans of democracy.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-19, 21:48

I understand why we have lifetime appointments Turtleneck. I still think they are a bad idea and werent meant for people to serve 50 year terms.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-19, 21:51

Thankfully, at least for the Supreme Court, I have a solution for you Turtleneck.

18 year terms for each judge. That means that every two years, regardless of age or death, one gets booted off. They can be insulated from politics for the rest of their career, no president can have more than 4 picks per 8 year term so they can’t go bonkers, and we can set it up that a senate majority leader can’t go rogue and steal a seat somehow.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-19, 22:07

That sounds horrible, Travis.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-19, 22:12

Turtleneck wrote:That sounds horrible, Travis.

I think it’d be better Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-19, 22:36

If I’m a judge that knows my term is up, I won’t take liberties to forget rule of law? Takes a while to impeach.

Why not have a bipartisan committee of ten to review all federal judges every six years. You need a super majority of six to say the judge needs to be reviewed and reconfirmed. 5-5 ties and they stay.

Dumb idea but we have to keep them insulated to some degree.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-11-19, 22:47

DWags wrote:If I’m a judge that knows my term is up, I won’t take liberties to forget rule of law? Takes a while to impeach.

Why not have a bipartisan committee of ten to review all federal judges every six years. You need a super majority of six to say the judge needs to be reviewed and reconfirmed. 5-5 ties and they stay.

Dumb idea but we have to keep them insulated to some degree.

I mean once you get to 90 at this point you’re pretty sure your term is up. They retire too and have some idea for when they might do that. It’s not really different. Also that’s why it’s one at a time instead of “yolo let’s just appoint fuckin 40 year olds based on the current but always changing political whims who we’ll be stuck with for the rest of my life.”
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-20, 19:55

The Senate just made it a lot easier for Trump to appoint federal judges, over Democrats’ objections
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/11/20/the-senate-just-made-it-a-lot-easier-for-trump-to-appoint-federal-judges-over-democrats-objections/?utm_term=.cf48ac9d4508
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-11-22, 19:47

While we're talking about tweaking the rules for who can hold what position in our government, can we talk about setting some age limits? It's fucked up that grown adults under a certain age are barred from holding certain positions, but it's impossible to age out of eligibility. Stupid. The human brain does not age like wine, it ages like cheese. Gets better for a little while, then gets moldy and needs to be thrown in the garbage. Or something, I'm not a fancy cheese expert.

You wouldn't trust a 70 year old to coach your favorite football team, why should we allow a 70 year old to run the fucking country? Shit, most 70 year olds shouldn't even be allowed a driver's license.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-22, 20:53

Cameron wrote:While we're talking about tweaking the rules for who can hold what position in our government, can we talk about setting some age limits? It's fucked up that grown adults under a certain age are barred from holding certain positions, but it's impossible to age out of eligibility. Stupid. The human brain does not age like wine, it ages like cheese. Gets better for a little while, then gets moldy and needs to be thrown in the garbage. Or something, I'm not a fancy cheese expert.

You wouldn't trust a 70 year old to coach your favorite football team, why should we allow a 70 year old to run the fucking country? Shit, most 70 year olds shouldn't even be allowed a driver's license.

I know a boatload of very sharp 70-year-olds. Besides, justices' clerks do most of the heavy lifting.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-11-22, 23:30

tGreenWay wrote:
Cameron wrote:While we're talking about tweaking the rules for who can hold what position in our government, can we talk about setting some age limits? It's fucked up that grown adults under a certain age are barred from holding certain positions, but it's impossible to age out of eligibility. Stupid. The human brain does not age like wine, it ages like cheese. Gets better for a little while, then gets moldy and needs to be thrown in the garbage. Or something, I'm not a fancy cheese expert.

I know a boatload of very sharp 70-year-olds. Besides, justices' clerks do most of the heavy lifting.

Sharp compared to you, maybe.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-11-23, 00:17

Cameron wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Sharp compared to you, maybe.

This.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down