Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The myth that we need old white guys to die off............

+4
Travis of the Cosmos
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
kingstonlake
8 posters

Go down

The myth that we need old white guys to die off............ Empty The myth that we need old white guys to die off............

Post by kingstonlake 2018-10-26, 10:23

Had a "conversation" on FB (I know this was not smart on my part). This person said they will no longer vote for an Dem's until they prosecute the criminals in their party (Obama Clinton Feinstein & Ford). Of course I understand they've never voted for a D in their life. The "Red Wave" profile pic pretty much cements that. Now that reasoning alone is dumb enough. But he capped it off by saying "The showboating" by Dems on the recent mail bombing scare cemented it for him.....

This person was mid 30's. And to be honest I see a TON of them. The idea that we need the old white guy generation to die off is a myth. There is a pretty substantial block out there that is fairly young (30's +). Take a close look at Trump rallies. You might be surprised...I think this country is not anywhere near close to losing the bigoted, racist, narrow minded voting block. Buckle up.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

The myth that we need old white guys to die off............ Empty Re: The myth that we need old white guys to die off............

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-26, 10:29

kingstonlake wrote:Had a "conversation" on FB (I know this was not smart on my part). This person said they will no longer vote for an Dem's until they prosecute the criminals in their party (Obama Clinton Feinstein & Ford). Of course I understand they've never voted for a D in their life.  The "Red Wave" profile pic pretty much cements that.  Now that reasoning alone is dumb enough.  But he capped it off by saying "The showboating" by Dems on the recent mail bombing scare cemented it for him.....

This person was mid 30's.  And to be honest I see a TON of them.  The idea that we need the old white guy generation to die off is a myth.  There is a pretty substantial block out there that is fairly young (30's +).  Take a close look at Trump rallies.  You might be surprised...I think this country is not anywhere near close to losing the bigoted, racist, narrow minded voting block.  Buckle up.  
I hear what you're saying.

unfortunately, I think it's more about valuing compassion, empathy and education. It's not a coincidence that Republicans spent the better part of a generation demonizing education and people that pursue higher education.. and, magically, the rise of a racist, bigoted christian sexual predator occurred.

and I'm not even talking about formal education, necessarily - just the kind of education that you can receive from listening to your kids and them listening to you.

It starts at home. We need to do a better job of raising our kids, engaging with our kids and switching off the TV and various social media platforms.

I'm not overly hopeful that this will occur - though I do have faith in the younger generation. Maybe my sample size is skewed since it's mainly my daughter and her friends that I consider.. but one can hope.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The myth that we need old white guys to die off............ Empty Re: The myth that we need old white guys to die off............

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2018-10-26, 10:34

My son's friends are right leaning idiots... being raised by right wing idiots. Don't see those apples falling far from the tree. Not one has any opinion based on fact.

He comes to me and says shit, I got to school him on the reason why all his friends are idiots. I have no optimism for the future. Should probably move to Canada.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-10-26, 10:36

You know they have polls for this kind of thing that are larger samples than “that one guy on Facebook” and “people in bumfuck Montana that show up to a trump rally.”

There really isn’t that much of a doubt that young people largely skew left (no one said 100%. 60-40? 65-35? That’s a huge gap and leaves plenty of people to argue with on Facebook with their profile pictures and stuff.) The more interesting question is if they stay that way. Young people favoring liberal policies isn’t new, and all of the previous generations have drifted more right as they get older. It remains to be seen if they will again (they probably will.)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-26, 10:41

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You know they have polls for this kind of thing that are larger samples than “that one guy on Facebook” and “people in bumfuck Montana that show up to a trump rally.”

There really isn’t that much of a doubt that young people largely skew left (no one said 100%. 60-40? 65-35? That’s a huge gap and leaves plenty of people to argue with on Facebook with their profile pictures and stuff.) The more interesting question is if they stay that way. Young people favoring liberal policies isn’t new, and all of the previous generations have drifted more right as they get older. It remains to be seen if they will again (they probably will.)
my wife's brother, now my brother-in-law, used to lecture me when I was 19-20 years old about how I'd change my left-leaning political ideology as I got older.

he was correct - I've become much more left-leaning and progressive as I've gone through life and eyewitnessed what a selfish, self-absorbed American society does to the most vulnerable among us.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-10-26, 10:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You know they have polls for this kind of thing that are larger samples than “that one guy on Facebook” and “people in bumfuck Montana that show up to a trump rally.”

my wife's brother, now my brother-in-law, used to lecture me when I was 19-20 years old about how I'd change my left-leaning political ideology as I got older.

he was correct - I've become much more left-leaning and progressive as I've gone through life and eyewitnessed what a selfish, self-absorbed American society does to the most vulnerable among us.
You’re a model citizen for all young people Bob.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-26, 10:49

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

You’re a model citizen for all young people Bob.
I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-10-26, 10:54

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-10-26, 12:13

I get what you're saying but the only thing more worthless than a poll on an election would be one that identifies a racist. There simply isn't an accurate way to gauge it. I personally know people that were raised in a strong pro, and I mean PRO union lifestyle. I was raised in one. These people were blue through and through. Then 2008 happened..... And everything changed. My cousin for example couldn't have been a bigger critic of Bush. Welp, something changed. He is now an avid supporter of Trump.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-10-26, 12:17

kingstonlake wrote:
I get what you're saying but the only thing more worthless than a poll on an election would be one that identifies a racist. There simply isn't an accurate way to gauge it. I personally know people that were raised in a strong pro, and I mean PRO union lifestyle. I was raised in one. These people were blue through and through. Then 2008 happened..... And everything changed. My cousin for example couldn't have been a bigger critic of Bush. Welp, something changed. He is now an avid supporter of Trump.

...and the only explanation you can come up with is ...racism
Nothing like generalizing about 'all you old white guys'
Seems almost ironic.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-10-26, 12:18

kingstonlake wrote:

I get what you're saying but the only thing more worthless than a poll on an election would be one that identifies a racist.  There simply isn't an accurate way to gauge it.  I personally know people that were raised in a strong pro, and I mean PRO union lifestyle. I was raised in one.  These people were blue through and through.  Then 2008 happened..... And everything changed.  My cousin for example couldn't have been a bigger critic of Bush.  Welp, something changed.  He is now an avid supporter of Trump.  
Polls for elections actually aren’t all that wrong if you do statistics stuff. 

But no matter. Thing is conversely, and I think this might have a lot to do with geographic location, I know of several young people that thought they were republicans that are now staunch democrats. But I’m not going to broadly make any assumptions about that, because it doesn’t make sense.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-10-26, 12:46

I.B. Fine wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

...and the only explanation you can come up with is ...racism
Nothing like generalizing about 'all you old white guys'
Seems almost ironic.

The premise of the thread is the "Myth" that all racists are old white guys........Wink
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-10-27, 09:31

The hippies in the 60s thought the same thing about the old dudes dying away. Now they are the old dudes that you guys are talking about.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-11-03, 22:32

The "old white guy" thing doesn't bode well for FoxNews whose demographics are what Lee Iacoca described Chrysler's customer demographics when he introduced the minivan. "We needed it because our biggest customer base is between 55 and death.

Right now times are fat. The non-college grad 18-35 male demo, especially 18-25 have never experienced an economic downturn and never lost or left a job and had to look more than a month.

They have haven't seen anything but job growth and now higher wages in their working lives.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-11-04, 00:07

GRR Spartan wrote:The "old white guy" thing doesn't bode well for FoxNews whose demographics are what Lee Iacoca described Chrysler's customer demographics when he introduced the minivan.  "We needed it because our biggest customer base is between 55 and death.

Right now times are fat.  The non-college grad 18-35 male demo, especially 18-25 have never experienced an economic downturn and never lost or left a job and had to look more than a month.

They have haven't seen anything but job growth and now higher wages in their working lives.
Wait, people who are 18-25 have never experienced an economic downturn?

You mean... people who are largely still in college or like one year out? That’s some solid analysis.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-11-04, 09:03

How many consecutive quarters of job increases have there been since 2010?

I’m talking about the Trump base that is largely HS educated or sometimes two year community college since union apprentice programs shrunk as Right to Work reduced union membership.

There isn’t a legion of college educated Trumpites 35 and under.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down