Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do coaches cover up their mouths?

+6
Robert J Sakimano
Nordic
tGreenWay
InTenSity
Floyd Robertson
steveschneider
10 posters

Go down

Why do coaches cover up their mouths?  Empty Why do coaches cover up their mouths?

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-12, 15:09

I see it so often, a coach puts a play sheet over his face while he's talking to a player.

Why is this? What's the rationale?

Do other teams actually have lip readers that watch the coach and then wire the info over to their coach? How do you get this job? Is there any famous examples of this happening?  Or is this just paranoia?

Last edited by steveschneider on 2019-03-12, 15:18; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Why do coaches cover up their mouths?  Empty Re: Why do coaches cover up their mouths?

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-03-12, 15:10

R(L)IF
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Why do coaches cover up their mouths?  Empty Re: Why do coaches cover up their mouths?

Post by InTenSity 2019-03-12, 15:11

Probably a multitude of reasons. I would guess the recent Kerr situation is the biggest reason. Everyone claimed he was saying he was sick and tired of Draymond's shit. Whether or not he said it and it was real or not, now he has to deal with it in the public.

There could be plays that are recognized if said enough, and I think it would happen more at the pro level than College, but everyone is always look for a story or an advantage.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-12, 15:17

R(L)IF

Reading lips is fundamental?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-12, 15:17

InTenSity wrote:Probably a multitude of reasons. I would guess the recent Kerr situation is the biggest reason. Everyone claimed he was saying he was sick and tired of Draymond's shit. Whether or not he said it and it was real or not, now he has to deal with it in the public.

There could be plays that are recognized if said enough, and I think it would happen more at the pro level than College, but everyone is always look for a story or an advantage.

So they are more worried about the tv broadcast?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-03-12, 15:18

steveschneider wrote:
R(L)IF

Uh huh
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-12, 15:19

Floyd Robertson wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Uh huh

Why do coaches cover up their mouths?  502811600
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-12, 15:19

Probably lip reading. Stealing signs is an age old tradition in athletics. As a catcher, I was taught at MSU baseball camp to not only hide my fingers (that’s the obvious one), but also be mindful of where I placed the arm I was using to flash those fingers, because the best sign stealers knew exactly what arm muscles were flexed with each corresponding finger. That one blew my mind.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-03-12, 15:26

Why do coaches cover up their mouths?  Sw32_main_0513_536031711
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-12, 15:28

Yep.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-12, 15:35

Nordic wrote:Why do coaches cover up their mouths?  Sw32_main_0513_536031711

Just reviewed 'spygate'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spygate_(NFL)

It was videotaping DC signals. Doesn't mention lip reading but I agree if anyone is doing lip reading this guy was my first guess.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-03-12, 15:53

tGreenWay wrote:Probably lip reading. Stealing signs is an age old tradition in athletics. As a catcher, I was taught at MSU baseball camp to not only hide my fingers (that’s the obvious one), but also be mindful of where I placed the arm I was using to flash those fingers, because the best sign stealers knew exactly what arm muscles were flexed with each corresponding finger. That one blew my mind.
story time:

I was a bad baseball player. I mean, as bad as I am at message boardin', I am exponentially better at message boardin' than I ever was at baseball.

So, for whatever reason, I still made the team in high school - my job was to sit on the bench and try to steal signals... either the coach in the dugout, the third base coach or the catcher.. I fancied myself a Navajo Code Talker, dawg..

turns out, I sucked at that too. So I spent a majority of time warming up the relief pitcher in the bullpen and chasing foul balls.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-12, 17:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Probably lip reading. Stealing signs is an age old tradition in athletics. As a catcher, I was taught at MSU baseball camp to not only hide my fingers (that’s the obvious one), but also be mindful of where I placed the arm I was using to flash those fingers, because the best sign stealers knew exactly what arm muscles were flexed with each corresponding finger. That one blew my mind.
story time:

I was a bad baseball player. I mean, as bad as I am at message boardin', I am exponentially better at message boardin' than I ever was at baseball.

So, for whatever reason, I still made the team in high school - my job was to sit on the bench and try to steal signals... either the coach in the dugout, the third base coach or the catcher.. I fancied myself a Navajo Code Talker, dawg..

turns out, I sucked at that too. So I spent a majority of time warming up the relief pitcher in the bullpen and chasing foul balls.

Why do coaches cover up their mouths?  502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-03-12, 17:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
story time:

Switch hitter?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-03-12, 18:53

For Izzo it's probably all the shit he got early in his career from people saying how mean he is to his players.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-12, 19:38

Probably just bad breath.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-03-12, 20:42

Regardless of stealing calls, the conversations a coach has with refs, players, and other staff members is their own business, and in the day and age of high def tv and social media, idiots will work to figure out what they say...and perhaps worst of all, get what they say wrong and spread that all over the interwebs.

Soccer players do it constantly (insert lame, tired soccer sucks joke here). Pre-game, in-game, post-game. You can tell they've been drilled on it to the point that it is almost second nature.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-12, 21:40

MiamiSpartan wrote:Regardless of stealing calls, the conversations a coach has with refs, players, and other staff members is their own business, and in the day and age of high def tv and social media, idiots will work to figure out what they say...and perhaps worst of all, get what they say wrong and spread that all over the interwebs.

Soccer players do it constantly (insert lame, tired soccer sucks joke here). Pre-game, in-game, post-game. You can tell they've been drilled on it to the point that it is almost second nature.

Here’s my main question what will happen if they don’t cover their mouth? What if Nick Saban doesn’t cover his mouth? Is there someone just sitting off in the distance with binoculars waiting for that moment and will it give away that teams secrets?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-03-12, 22:23

Yeah, all of the above. But there’s a practical reason too. Besides just making it a rule for your staff to do that becaytwhy the fuck not, have you ever been talking to a friend on his cell while he’s walking in the wind. Meh, you see a QB holding both hands over his ear holes while in the huddle trying to hear the coaches radioed in play? Just eliminate as much outside stuff as possible. Wind, others screaming on the sideline.

But yeah, all of the above.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-12, 23:12

DWags wrote:Yeah, all of the above. But there’s a practical reason too. Besides just making it a rule for your staff to do that becaytwhy the fuck not, have you ever been talking to a friend on his cell while he’s walking in the wind. Meh, you see a QB holding both hands over his ear holes while in the huddle trying to hear the coaches radioed in play? Just eliminate as much outside stuff as possible. Wind, others screaming on the sideline.

But yeah, all of the above.

So the answer my friend is blowing in the wind?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-03-25, 08:05

AvgMSUJoe wrote:For Izzo it's probably all the shit he got early in his career from people saying how mean he is to his players.

Prophetic....

I will give you fkrs a discount when I open my "Madam AvgJoe Palm Reading" shop on Grand River.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down