Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So I paid like 35 bucks per credit hour my freshman year. My youngest is now paying $482

+13
Other Teams Pursuing That
kingstonlake
duffy munn
Tim Wakefield
Wally Fairway
Nordic
SawGreen
Robert J Sakimano
Cameron
Floyd Robertson
steveschneider
AvgMSUJoe
DWags
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So I paid like 35 bucks per credit hour my freshman year. My youngest is now paying $482 Empty So I paid like 35 bucks per credit hour my freshman year. My youngest is now paying $482

Post by DWags 2019-06-19, 14:56

Interesting chart

History of MSU credit hours
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

So I paid like 35 bucks per credit hour my freshman year. My youngest is now paying $482 Empty Re: So I paid like 35 bucks per credit hour my freshman year. My youngest is now paying $482

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-19, 15:04

The time I attended, it virtually doubled....$69 to $129.

Troubling. No surprising though... they gotta pay for all those fancy new buildings somehow. (and the people to staff/maintain, etc etc etc)

No real competition to that price model in higher ed. (Until someone comes out with an online alternative that's legit...)

Sigh.

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

So I paid like 35 bucks per credit hour my freshman year. My youngest is now paying $482 Empty Re: So I paid like 35 bucks per credit hour my freshman year. My youngest is now paying $482

Post by steveschneider 2019-06-19, 15:04

Pretty crazy. I think for Columbia and NYU it's over 1000 a credit which is insane.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-06-19, 15:04

You got robbed DWags, fall of 1978 I paid like $18.50 off the top of my head.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-19, 15:10

My kid is paying as he goes to LCC now ($216/hr. out of "district")... My 529 can swing the final 2 - 2.5 years if he chooses. No debt for Bachelors.

(Then he's screwed for grad school... big bucks.)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-06-19, 15:17

From now on, any time I get calls/emails/letters from MSU asking for money, I'm just going to send them this link. Would be nice if there were a companion link I could send about how administration costs/salaries have changed over that same time period.

MSU does not have a money problem. They have an allocation problem.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-19, 15:26

DWags wrote:Interesting chart

not cheap, but I will tell you that the block model for tuition, beginning this fall semester, is helpful for full-time students who are able to take credits at the higher end of the full-time load.

Effective Fall 2019, MSU is moving to a block tuition model. Under the block tuition model, undergraduate students taking 12-18 credit hours will be charged a flat rate for tuition that will be the same if a student enrolls in 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, or 18 credits in any one semester.

A student taking 19 or more credits will be charged the flat rate for the first 18 credit hours plus an additional per credit hour rate for each credit over 18. For example, a student taking 20 credits will be charged the flat
rate tuition plus 2 credits at the per credit rate.

Students taking 11 or fewer credits will continue to be charged per credit hour.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-06-19, 15:27

A dollar from 1979 is worth $3.71 in 2019.

How many things other than higher education have gone up 5.3x or more than the rate of inflation in the same time span?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-06-19, 15:29

Floyd Robertson wrote:A dollar from 1979 is worth $3.71 in 2019.

How many things other than higher education have gone up 5.3x or more than the rate of inflation in the same time span?

My weight.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2019-06-19, 15:30

I don't know, but healthcare/prescriptions might be in the running.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-06-19, 15:31

DWags wrote:

My weight.

So I paid like 35 bucks per credit hour my freshman year. My youngest is now paying $482 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-06-19, 15:31

SawGreen wrote:

That's a good one. Some areas of healthcare for sure.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-06-19, 15:40

AvgMSUJoe wrote:The time I attended, it virtually doubled....$69 to $129.

Troubling. No surprising though... they gotta pay for all those fancy new buildings somehow. (and the people to staff/maintain, etc etc etc)

No real competition to that price model in higher ed. (Until someone comes out with an online alternative that's legit...)

Sigh.

That jump is mainly due to the switch from quarters to semesters. I was there the same time.

Overall the costs for college tuition are absurd. Even worse for out of state. We did some college tours over spring break for my kids. MSU was ~25k/year, OSU was ~45k/year.  But people keep paying it and going into massive debt.

Last edited by Nordic on 2019-06-19, 23:05; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-19, 15:42

Floyd Robertson wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

That's a good one. Some areas of healthcare for sure.

Another thing people REQUIRE with limited (or at least "swayed") competition.

It would be nice if all of the free market conservatives in the world would tackle these government problems so we could have actual "free" markets....(as well as the cable/internet bill, new car purchases, real estate transactions, etc. etc. etc.)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-06-19, 15:43

I know this is stupid thinking, but if the feds ever wipe out student loan debt I am making my kids go back to college and pay for their own education on Uncle Sam's dime so I can retire earlier.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-19, 15:44

Nordic wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:The time I attended, it virtually doubled....$69 to $129.

Sigh.

That jump is mainly due to the switch from quarters to semesters. I was there the same time.

Overall the costs for college tuition are absurd. Even worse for out of state. We did some college tours over spring break for my kids. MSU was ~40k/year, OSU was ~80k/year. But people keep paying it and going into massive debt.

Oh yeah... I remember. Still think my GPA got jacked because of that. (Remember spring term on trimesters... the ladies on the "beach"... sigh)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-19, 15:52

Floyd Robertson wrote:I know this is stupid thinking, but if the feds ever wipe out student loan debt I am making my kids go back to college and pay for their own education on Uncle Sam's dime so I can retire earlier.

Yeah... not sure how that is going to work. Not sure I would want my tax dollars thrown at debt someone else ran up without being responsible.

Rather have the tax dollars dumped into infrastructure and laws set up to incentive-ize lower tuition for future students. Maybe a no/low low interest loan option for existing debt.

Just because some douchebag HAD to go to an ivy league to keep up with the other douchebags at the club (and consequentially is 100k in the hole)... doesn't mean I should pay.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-06-19, 16:00

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:Interesting chart

not cheap, but I will tell you that the block model for tuition, beginning this fall semester, is helpful for full-time students who are able to take credits at the higher end of the full-time load.

Effective Fall 2019, MSU is moving to a block tuition model. Under the block tuition model, undergraduate students taking 12-18 credit hours will be charged a flat rate for tuition that will be the same if a student enrolls in 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, or 18 credits in any one semester.

A student taking 19 or more credits will be charged the flat rate for the first 18 credit hours plus an additional per credit hour rate for each credit over 18. For example, a student taking 20 credits will be charged the flat
rate tuition plus 2 credits at the per credit rate.

Students taking 11 or fewer credits will continue to be charged per credit hour.  

I'm curious what kind of credit load the average student is taking these days and how the block tuition would compare with regular credit hour tuition for that average amount of credits. I'm not a betting man, but I'd put lots of money on the decision makers at MSU already being familiar with this information.

What I'm getting at here is that it might be a value for 16-18 credits, but then would probably be the opposite of a value for 12-15 credits, and I'm guessing MSU comes out ahead when all is said and done.

Last edited by Cameron on 2019-06-19, 16:04; edited 1 time in total
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2019-06-19, 16:02

here's a link that will give you similar information for most colleges/universities
I had a starting salary of $18,400 when I started my career in 1981 - and I think I had around $3,000 in student debt; there is no point to my statement, just providing a point of reference.

https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/tuition-and-fees
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-06-19, 16:13

Wally Fairway wrote:here's a link that will give you similar information for most colleges/universities
I had a starting salary of $18,400 when I started my career in 1981 - and I think I had around $3,000 in student debt; there is no point to my statement, just providing a point of reference.

Interested to see what these numbers are like for others on here. I'm the most recent grad here .. just under $40k starting salary for me and i had about that much in loans ($37k ... mostly due to the mandatory year of student teaching + 24 grad credits last year). I'm sure that ratio isn't getting any better.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-06-19, 16:42

I paid 32.50 per credit my freshman year. With room and board I think the whole thing was like 3k. My Dad paid half and that 1500 seemed like a million to me.

To put it in perspective, when I sent my son to private school beginning in the 5th grad that year cost more than my freshman year in college. More perspective the 4 years of private high school cost about 10k more than my entire tab at MSU.

Thank god for my bartending/student manager gig at Dooleys. It was great until some asshole stole the outdoor bar on my watch.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-06-19, 17:22

We must be the same age Wags.....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-06-19, 17:25

Tim Wakefield wrote:
Wally Fairway wrote:here's a link that will give you similar information for most colleges/universities

Interested to see what these numbers are like for others on here. I'm the most recent grad here .. just under $40k starting salary for me and i had about that much in loans ($37k ... mostly due to the mandatory year of student teaching + 24 grad credits last year). I'm sure that ratio isn't getting any better.

Under 40k and you’re a teacher. How fucked up is that. Smfh.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-06-19, 17:51

Floyd Robertson wrote:You got robbed DWags, fall of 1978 I paid like $18.50 off the top of my head.
I remember paying $32.50 senior year but had forgotten how much cheaper it was just a couple years earlier. Must have been something like $17 my freshman year.

On top of tuition, how much does MSU get from the state?

I loved the trimester system. Doubt I'd have liked semesters that much.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-06-19, 18:03

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:You got robbed DWags, fall of 1978 I paid like $18.50 off the top of my head.
I remember paying $32.50 senior year but had forgotten how much cheaper it was just a couple years earlier.  Must have been something like $17 my freshman year.

On top of tuition, how much does MSU get from the state?

I loved the trimester system.  Doubt I'd have liked semesters that much.

Tri-mesters were great. Spring term was so much fun. The only down side was finals came up pretty damn fast when each term was about 10 weeks.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-06-19, 18:12

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:

Bruh I have 3 months off every year and an easy af summer job to fill in the gaps. I'll take a raise if offered but I wouldn't say I'm underpaid
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-06-19, 18:27

Tim Wakefield wrote:

Bruh I have 3 months off every year and an easy af summer job to fill in the gaps. I'll take a raise if offered but I wouldn't say I'm underpaid

I thought summers were for research and prep work for the upcoming academic year.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-06-19, 18:47

duffy munn wrote:Tri-mesters were great. Spring term was so much fun. The only down side was finals came up pretty damn fast when each term was about 10 weeks.
That's one of many things I liked.  With only 10 weeks you had less time to forget stuff from the beginning of the term.  I liked terms not starting until the 2nd-3rd week of September.   Others countered that we got out of Spring term too late to find decent summer jobs.  That wasn't an issue for me because always had a job open at a mechanical design place I co-oped at in HS.  They took me back any time I was free...summers, Christmas break, and winter-spring break.

Agree.  Spring term was awesome.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2019-06-19, 19:14

So, is out-of-state tuition over 1K a credit? If I recall correctly when I was in school, my tuition was a little shy of triple my in-state brethren.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-06-19, 19:25

StylesGShmooth wrote:So, is out-of-state tuition over 1K a credit? If I recall correctly when I was in school, my tuition was a little shy of triple my in-state brethren.

I don't the exact $ number per credit for out of state right now. But I do know my niece will be starting this fall and will be paying out of state. The price tag for her freshman year will is 47K. I love and MSU but sorry a bachelors degree is not worth a quarter million dollars
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-06-19, 19:27

StylesGShmooth wrote:So, is out-of-state tuition over 1K a credit? If I recall correctly when I was in school, my tuition was a little shy of triple my in-state brethren.
Didn't know you were from out of state. Where was home?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-06-19, 19:33

duffy munn wrote:

I don't the exact $ number per credit for out of state right now. But I do know my niece will be starting this fall and will be paying out of state. The price tag for her freshman year will is 47K. I love and MSU but sorry a bachelors degree is not worth a quarter million dollars

Holy crap
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-06-19, 19:33

Tim Wakefield wrote:

Agree to disagree. Teachers should make more.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-06-19, 19:34

duffy munn wrote:

Nope. Hope she’s going into computer science/engineering or some shit
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-06-19, 19:35

Tim Wakefield wrote:

You know my Venmo Wink
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-06-19, 19:59

Tim Wakefield wrote:

You know my Venmo Wink

If he was a real friend, he would give you a percentage of the allowance he gets from Bob.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2019-06-20, 14:42

The Pantry wrote:
Didn't know you were from out of state. Where was home?

Maryland, outside of DC. Technically was a Terp for a hot second before I was a Spartan.

As I recall out of state upper division Engineering was quite pricey.

StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-06-20, 15:28

duffy munn wrote:

Tri-mesters were great. Spring term was so much fun. The only down side was finals came up pretty damn fast when each term was about 10 weeks.

You think 10 week quarter was fast, did you ever do a 5 week summer course? Shit, by the time I got around to opening the book, we were taking midterms. Shocked
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-20, 15:38

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I'm curious what kind of credit load the average student is taking these days and how the block tuition would compare with regular credit hour tuition for that average amount of credits. I'm not a betting man, but I'd put lots of money on the decision makers at MSU already being familiar with this information.

What I'm getting at here is that it might be a value for 16-18 credits, but then would probably be the opposite of a value for 12-15 credits, and I'm guessing MSU comes out ahead when all is said and done.
that's what I was referring to when I said "helpful for full-time students who are able to take credits at the higher end of the full-time load."..

I suspect the average undergrad credit load at MSU is around 12-15 credits/semester.. heck, I have no clue how many credits my own kid takes.. I think in the 16 or so range??

but, yeah, if you're taking 12 credits, the block tuition model isn't doing you a lot of favors - but if you're in the 16-18 range, you're at least getting what you can from the system.. but I'm sure MSU ran the analytics and are making certain they're meeting the annual budget.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2019-06-20, 17:25

I.B. Fine wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

You think 10 week quarter was fast, did you ever do a 5 week summer course? Shit, by the time I got around to opening the book, we were taking midterms. Shocked

Did summer classes once. Holy fuck, did that suck. 3 hour classes everyday while it's beautiful outside was brutal. Withdrew from all my classes 2nd session.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next