Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things that need to be modernized

+8
MiamiSpartan
Cameron
Watch Out Pylon!
kingstonlake
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
Turtleneck
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Things that need to be modernized  Empty Things that need to be modernized

Post by Turtleneck 2019-09-08, 11:13

Going off of Steve’s modernization ideology, besides all offenses in all MSU sports, what other things in society might need to be modernized?

Cars. Enough with this combustible engine stuff.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Things that need to be modernized  Empty Re: Things that need to be modernized

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-08, 11:37

I don’t know but everyone seems happy today and that tells me people like it when the football team puts some points up on the board.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-09-08, 11:40

Swill mobile
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-09-08, 11:45

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Swill mobile

Things that need to be modernized  502811600
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-09-08, 12:24

Turtleneck wrote:Going off of Steve’s modernization ideology, besides all offenses in all MSU sports, what other things in society might need to be modernized?

It's a massive change that can't happen overnight. The technology has been under R&D for decades. GM's EV1 was the first modern electric vehicle back in the 90's.

All auto companies are moving toward electric as quickly as possible. Problem is the infrastructure to support all electric vehicles is lagging behind making gasoline necessary for the foreseeable future.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-09-08, 12:29

Took a one day trial on my iphone. Major disappointment. Back to desktop.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-09-08, 12:40

kingstonlake wrote:

Took a one day trial on my iphone.  Major disappointment.  Back to desktop.

iPhones. Stop making them the size of tablets. Put that tech in a smaller device.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-09-08, 12:44

Turtleneck wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Took a one day trial on my iphone.  Major disappointment.  Back to desktop.

iPhones. Stop making them the size of tablets. Put that tech is smaller device.

TN, they have different sizes. For instance the iphone 7 is a 4.7" screen. The 7plus is a 5.5" screen.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-09-08, 12:53

kingstonlake wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

iPhones. Stop making them the size of tablets. Put that tech is smaller device.

TN, they have different sizes.  For instance the iphone 7 is a 4.7" screen. The 7plus is a 5.5" screen.

How many new iPhone models have been released since the 7? I think by this fall the 7 will become the oldest iPhone model still available; everything before it having been discontinued.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-09-08, 13:06

Turtlneck's posting.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-09, 07:27

Turtleneck wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

TN, they have different sizes.  For instance the iphone 7 is a 4.7" screen. The 7plus is a 5.5" screen.

How many new iPhone models have been released since the 7? I think by this fall the 7 will become the oldest iPhone model still available; everything before it having been discontinued.

I don’t even know. I remember the days when everyone was stoked about the Blackberries and the mania when the first iPhone came out. I’ve kind of turned into an anti tech person these days. I hate it when I’m talking and later an ad related to that conversation will appear online. I quit all social media. I hang out on this board. I read the news on line, get weather, check scores, monitor the stock market, check emails etc but I have to. If you do web searches these days web optimization will lead you to all corporate pages at the top of the search. Most apps just track you and sell your data. Morons are rampant on the internet turning every comment section into a sewer and the Russians/Chinese are using sm to create divide and discord. Also my tech friend tells me the latest Apple computers and devices are pieces of shit meant to break down and all apps these days are meant to get people to subscribe that involves fees and ger people to put their shit on the cloud. Tech is dead.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-09-09, 08:26

Steve is a walking contradiction. Bitches everywhere that everything needs to be modernized, but is also a luddite.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-09, 08:34

Cameron wrote:Steve is a walking contradiction. Bitches everywhere that everything needs to be modernized, but is also a luddite.

Not so fast. I was into tech when it was more about creativity and user generated content. The web has become one big corporate catalog/brochure that spies on you. Corporations are making a killing off of targeted advertising, web search optimization and influencers. I want to like the web but it’s become watered down and stupid as fuck.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-09-09, 09:05

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:Steve is a walking contradiction. Bitches everywhere that everything needs to be modernized, but is also a luddite.

Not so fast. I was into tech when it was more about creativity and user generated content. The web has become one big corporate catalog/brochure that spies on you. Corporations are making a killing off of targeted advertising, web search optimization and influencers. I want to like the web but it’s become watered down and stupid as fuck.
Have you also gotten rid of your mail box and only have an anonymous PO Box?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-09-09, 09:33

Turtleneck wrote:Going off of Steve’s modernization ideology, besides all offenses in all MSU sports, what other things in society might need to be modernized?

I hear that someday, we're going to have flying cars.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-09, 09:36

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Ha! Nope but it's a tremendous waste all the paper I receive from solicitors and all of it just goes straight from the mailbox to the recycler.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-09-09, 09:49

steveschneider wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I don’t even know. I remember the days when everyone was stoked about the Blackberries and the mania when the first iPhone came out. I’ve kind of turned into an anti tech person these days. I hate it when I’m talking and later an ad related to that conversation will appear online. I quit all social media. I hang out on this board. I read the news on line, get weather, check scores, monitor the stock market, check emails etc but I have to. If you do web searches these days web optimization will lead you to all corporate pages at the top of the search. Most apps just track you and sell your data. Morons are rampant on the internet turning every comment section into a sewer and the Russians/Chinese are using sm to create divide and discord. Also my tech friend tells me the latest Apple computers and devices are pieces of shit meant to break down and all apps these days are meant to get people to subscribe that involves fees and ger people to put their shit on the cloud. Tech is dead.

Things that need to be modernized  1486952199
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-09-09, 11:55

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Ha! Nope but it's a tremendous waste all the paper I receive from solicitors and all of it just goes straight from the mailbox to the recycler.
My point was that if you're that concerned about targeted advertising, you might want to go that route. I'd say that it's more intrusive than targeting you via internet ads, as they have your name and home address, on top of a shit ton of other information on you. And on the internet, you can use ad blocker, private modes, etc.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-09, 13:32

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

My point was that if you're that concerned about targeted advertising, you might want to go that route. I'd say that it's more intrusive than targeting you via internet ads, as they have your name and home address, on top of a shit ton of other information on you. And on the internet, you can use ad blocker, private modes, etc.

Data is now a trillion dollar industry and I find it much more invasive and creepy. I get local coupons in the mail and insurance offers....on line I've seen shit pop up in youtube ads that are based on my conversations. Paranoid? Maybe, but I've know others that have had the same thing happen. I've been with my wife at a grocery story talking about some product that we should get, and then see that ad later.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-09-09, 13:46

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
My point was that if you're that concerned about targeted advertising, you might want to go that route.  I'd say that it's more intrusive than targeting you via internet ads, as they have your name and home address, on top of a shit ton of other information on you.  And on the internet, you can use ad blocker, private modes, etc.

Data is now a trillion dollar industry and I find it much more invasive and creepy. I get local coupons in the mail and insurance offers....on line I've seen shit pop up in youtube ads that are based on my conversations. Paranoid? Maybe, but I've know others that have had the same thing happen. I've been with my wife at a grocery story talking about some product that we should get, and then see that ad later.

steve you should watch the great hack on netflix
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-09, 13:52

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

If you’re on iPhone, you can start by turning off access to your microphone. It may not eliminate the problem entirely, but it’s a good start.

https://www.cultofmac.com/536553/stop-facebook-eavesdropping/amp/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-09-09, 13:56

how to determine who we'd really enjoy having a beer with.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-09, 14:38

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

We got one of those Amazon Alexa's for xmas, no way in fucking hell we are hooking that shit up in our house. It's still in the box collecting dust.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-09-09, 14:39

steveschneider wrote:

We got one of those Amazon Alexa's for xmas, no way in fucking hell we are hooking that shit up in our house. It's still in the box collecting dust.

What a terrible gift. You should get them a flaming bag of shit for the holiday in a few months.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-09-09, 14:42

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-09, 14:46

steveschneider wrote:

What a terrible gift. You should get them a flaming bag of shit for the holiday in a few months.

Plus, I have an amazing stereo system and a vinyl collection. No way I'm going to listen to music through that crappy thing.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-09-09, 14:52

steveschneider wrote:

Plus, I have an amazing stereo system and a vinyl collection. No way I'm going to listen to music through that crappy thing.
you're a great American and I trust that you have great taste in music.

'cause I take that shit seriously.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-09, 14:57

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

you're a great American and I trust that you have great taste in music.

You'll appreciate this... local record shop got in an early Waylon Jennings album and they are holding it for me. It's the only way to take in great country music. I still have my old Kliptsch speaker cabs purchased at Flat Black & Circular.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-09-09, 15:16

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: you're a great American and I trust that you have great taste in music.

You'll appreciate this... local record shop got in an early Waylon Jennings album and they are holding it for me. It's the only way to take in great country music. I still have my old Kliptsch speaker cabs purchased at Flat Black & Circular.
very nice.. did you catch the "Country Music: Live At The Ryman" show last night on PBS??

lots of talent on that stage.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-09, 15:27

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

very nice.. did you catch the "Country Music: Live At The Ryman" show last night on PBS??

Oh shit the Ken Burns one? Fuck, I missed it. Thanks for the heads up I'll make it a point to watch.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-09, 16:09

steveschneider wrote:

Just watched the trailer. Might have to re-read 1984 after all this as well. That part where the lady in the trailer talks about how they used data to shape world views. EXACTLY right. On twitter I noticed all sorts of outrage that I just never encountered in the real world and I'm convinced it's people using the algorithms and targeting on that site to make certain shit go viral.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-09-09, 17:05

+1

Pull it together, Steve. Cam has a point.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-09, 17:25

Turtleneck wrote:

+1

Pull it together, Steve. Cam has a point.

Cameron the Cop strikes again.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-09-09, 17:34

MSU Football Tailgating
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-09-09, 17:47

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:MSU Football Tailgating

I think they are doing you a favor. Rather than having to depend on stories from DWags and GreenWay, you get to experience first hand what tailgating was like during prohibition.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-09-09, 18:10

Health care, insurance & prescriptions...the entire medical industry. It's been out of control a long time and gets worse every year.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-10, 07:31

steveschneider wrote:

Watched it last night. That was a pretty heavy documentary and very informative. Also, according to the professor our phones aren’t listening in on us and figuring out what ads to show us the data they have on us is complete they are able to predict what we want? Friggin crazy.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-09-10, 07:51

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: very nice.. did you catch the "Country Music: Live At The Ryman" show last night on PBS??

Oh shit the Ken Burns one? Fuck, I missed it. Thanks for the heads up I'll make it a point to watch.
it was a prelude to the Ken Burns documentary.. he hosted it, and they showed clips from the documentary series, but it was basically a performance at The Ryman honoring iconic roots, old time string, country music. I'll find the link.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-09-10, 07:54

here is the link.. some great performances. Ketch Secor and Rhiannon Giddens around the 5:30 mark almost melted the stage with their performance.. Holly Williams (and her husband on guitar) played "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" as a tribute to her grandfather.

again, lots of good stuff here.. if you wanna see some talent, though, watch/listen to the Ketch/Rhiannon performance.

Country Music: Live At The Ryman
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-09-10, 08:02

Thanks, I’ve received two rock solid recommendations in this thread. I’ll watch that.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next