Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grapes gets the boot from Hockey Night in Canada over “incendiary” remarks

+4
MiamiSpartan
The Pantry
steveschneider
tGreenWay
8 posters

Go down

Grapes gets the boot from Hockey Night in Canada over “incendiary” remarks Empty Grapes gets the boot from Hockey Night in Canada over “incendiary” remarks

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-11, 16:36

Edit: See Steve’s article below for a better perspective on Cherry’s comments.

Huwut? Maybe it sounded more divisive as it was broadcast, because it doesn’t read like something terribly inflammatory.

Don Cherry fired from 'Hockey Night in Canada' after discriminatory remarks on TV

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/11/11/don-cherry-fired-hockey-night-canada/2567042001/

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2019-11-11, 18:21; edited 1 time in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Grapes gets the boot from Hockey Night in Canada over “incendiary” remarks Empty Re: Grapes gets the boot from Hockey Night in Canada over “incendiary” remarks

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-11, 16:42

Whut?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Grapes gets the boot from Hockey Night in Canada over “incendiary” remarks Empty Re: Grapes gets the boot from Hockey Night in Canada over “incendiary” remarks

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-11, 16:56

nm

Last edited by steveschneider on 2019-11-11, 16:59; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-11-11, 16:57

"The Barry Melrose era started years ago."

signed,
ESPN
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-11, 16:58

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28059815/hockey-icon-don-cherry-fired-immigrant-comments

The article you linked to pulled an OTL and omitted crucial details. Now it makes sense.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-11-11, 17:03

What the fuckity fuck? For saying that people should pay a couple of bucks to wear a poppy? That's incendiary?

So what, it's ok for people to have the freedom to express themselves by not wearing it, but it's not ok for someone to have the freedom to criticize those that don't? I kind of think that they just want an excuse to move on from him.

It's interesting, though, in England people get blasted for not wearing a poppy and there have been some controversial cases of companies, sports teams/leagues, etc., forcing people to wear them, and the media usually supports that (some of the media is very conservative there, though). Additionally, when English teams wanted to wear them in European competitions, they weren't allowed to by the body that oversees those competitions. So it's kind of a hot button issue over there, but didn't know that it was such an issue in Canada, too.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-11, 17:08

MiamiSpartan wrote:What the fuckity fuck? For saying that people should pay a couple of bucks to wear a poppy? That's incendiary?

So what, it's ok for people to have the freedom to express themselves by not wearing it, but it's not ok for someone to have the freedom to criticize those that don't? I kind of think that they just want an excuse to move on from him.

It's interesting, though, in England people get blasted for not wearing a poppy and there have been some controversial cases of companies, sports teams/leagues, etc., forcing people to wear them, and the media usually supports that (some of the media is very conservative there, though). Additionally, when English teams wanted to wear them in European competitions, they weren't allowed to by the body that oversees those competitions. So it's kind of a hot button issue over there, but didn't know that it was such an issue in Canada, too.

His remark was directed at immigrants...I can see why it was offensive.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-11-11, 17:08

steveschneider wrote:https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28059815/hockey-icon-don-cherry-fired-immigrant-comments

The article you linked to pulled an OTL and omitted crucial details. Now it makes sense.
Ok, yeah, I guess I see it, but it still feels like they were looking for an excuse. He's been bashing immigrants (foreign hockey players) for 40 years and they didn't have a problem with that.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-11, 17:14

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28059815/hockey-icon-don-cherry-fired-immigrant-comments

Ok, yeah, I guess I see it, but it still feels like they were looking for an excuse. He's been bashing immigrants (foreign hockey players) for 40 years and they didn't have a problem with that.

I haven’t watched hockey night in Canada since the 90s so I’ll take your word for it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-11-11, 17:23

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I haven’t watched hockey night in Canada since the 90s so I’ll take your word for it.
Well, to be fair, I guess I haven't watched it all that regularly in about 20 years (just when NHL Network picks up HNIC sometimes), so maybe he's stopped with that and I didn't noticed it, but that was always one of his biggest schticks, saying how the European players were soft, weak, would play dirty, etc. Hard to imagine him stopping that, as the good ol' Canadians loved him talking aboot how these dirty scoundrels from Europe with their face masks were ruining the sport and stealing their own boys' jobs, eh?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-11, 17:39

Thanks, Steve. That article gives a better context. You’re right, the story I posted got Lavigned.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-11-12, 15:34

As I recall that was his schtick wasn't it? He was downright racist to the euro players in the 90's.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-12, 15:41

AvgMSUJoe wrote:As I recall that was his schtick wasn't it? He was downright racist to the euro players in the 90's.

I guess there's a difference in making bigoted comments about people of color vs hockey players from Sweden?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-12, 16:15

Yeah, I don't see where the wearing a poppy thing is a bad call. However, I really don't know shit about the Canadian society. If that is indeed an insult, well, what the hell you saying that for? I don't get why people put Dixie flags on their trucks and ride around with them in Macomb county in the summer. I get it's everyone's right. I so get it's the first amendment. For the life of me, my mom would always ask, if you know i'ts upsetting the person, why would you do it, as a general question at dinner in some sort of life lesson that I'm not sure worked or not. But I get the premise. Why say or do something because it's "your right" if you know you're upsetting a group of people? It's rhetorical. I know the answer.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-11-12, 19:37

Cherry is 85 and probably thought he could never be fired.

He questioned the patriotism of Canadian immigrants because they weren’t wearing the poppy commemorating Canadian veterans who died in the World Wars.

I’m old enough to remember the VFW guys out on street corners, meeting shoppers as they left stores getting donations for their “Buddy Poppy” program. That practice has about disappeared in the GR area.

Cherry screwed up because LaBatts is a major NHL sponsor (owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev), that want to sell their beer to everybody and because of the influx of immigrants from non- hockey playing nations, the NHL needs that group to embrace Canada’s national sport rather than losing them to growth in soccer and basketball.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-11-12, 19:41

It's not going to end well when you start your rant with "You people".
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-12, 19:51

Yeah I remember Ross Pero when he spoke in front of the N double Ay you people in the 92 election.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-19, 11:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-sG6u_Sats
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down