Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell me about water heaters.

+16
aualum06
SawGreen
Dendrobates
Banks2Mason
Heat Miser
The Pantry
NigelUno
I.B. Fine
Jake from State Farm
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
steveschneider
Watch Out Pylon!
GRR Spartan
kingstonlake
DWags
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tell me about water heaters.   Empty Tell me about water heaters.

Post by DWags 2019-11-19, 07:22

I know some of you ballers have to have some of the latest and greatest. If you love your water heater and it won't cost me my first grandchild, let me know.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Tell me about water heaters.   Empty Re: Tell me about water heaters.

Post by kingstonlake 2019-11-19, 07:38

I believe they are the second biggest consistent expense behind heating your house. Buy a good one. I use to work for a company that repped A.O. Smith and they were expensive but recognized as the best. That was back in the 90’s though. Seems like I remember that Bradford White was a Michigan company. If it’s just you and your wife in the house 40-50 gallon heater would be enough. If you have a big soaker tub I’d go 50 gallon.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-11-19, 07:51

Where’s it going, how long you planning on living there and how many people at peak times will be using it?

The on demand are wall mounted, might require some more than minor plumbing changes, can be pricey but some of my customers swear by them for their homes.

If it’s me I’d go with a 50 gallon higher efficiency standard.

Bradford White (based in Middleville MI) has been one of my customers for years. They make good products. The link to their residential stuff is below.

A O Smith is another known name.

https://www.bradfordwhite.com/residential-gas-water-heaters/
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-11-19, 08:03

I'm not sure anyone really loves a water heater. The optimist crapped out on mine a few years back, got a replacement. It works fine. I couldn't even tell you what brand it is without going in the basement and checking. End of story.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-19, 08:12

Ours crapped out this spring was a $2000 repair including heater and labor. Anyway to make those things last longer or have an indication of when they are going to go? Also, I guess we are a great candidate for geothermal heat which I would love to make the leap to if it works and is cost effective. Any thoughts on that?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-11-19, 09:03

They heat water.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-11-19, 09:10

Have a relative who built a home and decided on geo-thermal 10-12 years ago. Long term it’s cost effective but initial costs are easier if rolled into the construction costs.

I’ve replaced hot water heaters for myself and relatives. With the right tools and knowing where your gas and water shut offs are the toughest part of the job is getting the hot water heater down to the basement.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-19, 09:33

GRR Spartan wrote:Have a relative who built a home and decided on geo-thermal 10-12 years ago. Long term it’s cost effective but initial costs are easier if rolled into the construction costs.

I’ve replaced hot water heaters for myself and relatives. With the right tools and knowing where your gas and water shut offs are the toughest part of the job is getting the hot water heater down to the basement.

Ours would be roughly 20k they've improved the drill dramatically and it's much more cost effective. I think the amount we'd save in oil over time would pay for itself. That shit is expensive and the price can go up. Also, I think the equipments lasts longer and it doubles up as a heater/ac unit. Combine it with a solar unit and you are living off the grid (sort of).
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-11-19, 10:25

If you have oil heat, geo-thermal is a reasonable alternative.

When the relative built their home natural gas wasn’t an option so they were looking at propane or geo-thermal. Much like your heating oil vs geo-thermal choice. Propane made a huge jump about the time they moved in.

Geo-thermal on the cooling side has saved them a lot of money with our recent hot summers.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-19, 10:43

We have an AO Smith. I had no idea it was considered the best. Then again, Kingston is probably talking out of his ass again. (Tell me about water heaters.   2809484752)

I do want to explore a tankless water system in the next couple of years.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-11-19, 11:21

What I want is a hotwater heater. Seems like it would be really cheap to run.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-11-19, 12:07

GRR Spartan wrote:If you have oil heat, geo-thermal is a reasonable alternative.

When the relative built their home natural gas wasn’t an option so they were looking at propane or geo-thermal.  Much like your heating oil vs geo-thermal choice.  Propane made a huge jump about the time they moved in.  

Geo-thermal on the cooling side has saved them a lot of money with our recent hot summers.
This, if you don't have the option of natural gas, and you're looking to replace a furnace,  geothermal is a no brainer. It is very efficient at heating, air cond, and you run your hot water supply off it.
Just make sure you have decent insulation/weather sealing because the fan will run more and may aggravate draftyness issues

As for basic HW, unless you have a space issue, going from a tank to tankless is probably not going to make sense financially. Again, what GRR said.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-11-19, 13:05

Jake from State Farm wrote:What I want is a hotwater heater. Seems like it would be really cheap to run.

I see what you did there.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-11-19, 13:07

tGreenWay wrote:We have an AO Smith. I had no idea it was considered the best. Then again, Kingston is probably talking out of his ass again. (Tell me about water heaters.   2809484752)

I’m pretty sure that AO Smith is a really good manufacturer of water heaters. I’m now conflicted knowing you own one. Tell me about water heaters.   1550444538
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-11-19, 14:35

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.*

*(Unless your wife wants a new one.)
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-11-19, 15:41

On-demand, tankless water heaters use to suck. Stayed at a campground that had them years ago whitewater rafting in WV. One morning the water was scalding and the next there was no hot water.

From what I've heard a lot has changed since then. I'll go tankless next time. No sense heating water you're not using all day.

Whether you go traditional tank or tankless, make sure to replace the dielectric unions.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2019-11-19, 16:30

The Miser's are gong tankless within the next few weeks.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-11-19, 16:35

Heat Miser wrote:The Miser's are gong tankless within the next few weeks.

Tell me about water heaters.   4f336810
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-19, 16:37

kingstonlake wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:We have an AO Smith. I had no idea it was considered the best. Then again, Kingston is probably talking out of his ass again. (Tell me about water heaters.   2809484752)

I’m pretty sure that AO Smith is a really good manufacturer of water heaters. I’m now conflicted knowing you own one. Tell me about water heaters.   1550444538

The only way to put your mind at ease is to do away with hot water altogether. Sure, cold showers and crunchy pasta will be damn near unbearable, but you will have won. And defeating me will make it all worthwhile.
Do it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2019-11-19, 16:47

tGreenWay wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

The only way to put your mind at ease is to do away with hot water altogether. Sure, cold showers and crunchy pasta will be damn near unbearable, but you will have won. And defeating me will make it all worthwhile.
Do it.

- dante
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2019-11-19, 17:41

I heard if you can swing it, tankless ones are awesome.

I’ve heard you never run out of hot water, and it saves you money since it’s not heating water all day long.

But this is all hearsay and I know nothing. Regular ones don’t last that long anymore. I think around 10 years? Mine is probably do to tank. I do pay for a hone warranty though, so if it dies, they cover the whole thing (unlike those consumer plans which only give you a small amount toward it).
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2019-11-19, 17:47

Is your current heater electric?

Step one at this point in my perception of your situation... replace the unit you have with the same type of unit: electric to electric / gas to gas.

I wouldn't go with the on-demand, nor remotely consider a geo unit unless you plan on being in your homestead for the next 20 years (and even then, I'm not sure you would want to switch).

Last edited by SawGreen on 2019-11-19, 21:45; edited 1 time in total
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-19, 17:50

Dendrobates wrote:I heard if you can swing it, tankless ones are awesome.

I’ve heard you never run out of hot water, and it saves you money since it’s not heating water all day long.

But this is all hearsay and I know nothing. Regular ones don’t last that long anymore. I think around 10 years? Mine is probably do to tank. I do pay for a hone warranty though, so if it dies, they cover the whole thing (unlike those consumer plans which only give you a small amount toward it).

Here's the other thing when they fail it's a friggin mess - they flood the basement. There has to be a better way to improve on this system.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-11-19, 17:59

If going tankless definitely research the temperature rise you need vs what your ground water temp is. Also you made need to upgrade your electrical service in order to run an 8-9gpm requirement. I think the usually rise is rated at 6gpm. So if you have a 1.5gpm shower head you can run 4 showers simultaneously on a 30° temp rise and be fine.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-11-19, 18:46

The Pantry wrote:On-demand, tankless water heaters use to suck. Stayed at a campground that had them years ago whitewater rafting in WV. One morning the water was scalding and the next there was no hot water.

From what I've heard a lot has changed since then. I'll go tankless next time. No sense heating water you're not using all day.

Whether you go traditional tank or tankless, make sure to replace the dielectric unions.

Sounds like the one I bought several years ago. One minute you have a nice hot shower, the next minute you're dancing on ice.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-11-19, 19:13

Another thought @Wags. Does your current water heater vent to a chimney up/out the roof (possibly shared with the furnace) or does it have a blo-wer (like Pylon referenced) that carries exhaust fumes out a side wall? Traditional water heaters venting up/out are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. Direct vent (blo-wer) models are also pretty easy to replace but cost a lot more. They also have the drawback that they won't work if your power goes out where a traditionally vented natural gas water heater will still work fine.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-19, 19:25

Banks2Mason wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Do it.

- dante

I don’t get it, but you do you, Goober.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-11-19, 20:05

They keep water hot
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-11-19, 20:25

Replaced mine two years ago. Stick with the traditional tank for now Dwags. Tried and true. You don't want Mrs. Dwags complaining about water temp problems. Go bigger than you need. Hire someone to put it in. They are not that expensive.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-19, 20:39

Thanks all very helpful
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2019-11-19, 21:06

My 15yo hot water heater was acting up over the summer and I figured out via the error code and YouTube that it was the thermocouple and ended up fixing the problem. Very proud of myself.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2019-11-19, 21:20

Ours died a year ago. It was about 15 years old. Called up Lowes, told them what I needed and they brought one out and installed it. I had to pay a little extra for labor because I replaced a 40 gallon with a 50 gallon so they had to cut some more space for it behind the wall but the whole thing still only cost me about $1300. That's all I got.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-11-19, 22:37

y2kMgrad wrote:Ours died a year ago. It was about 15 years old. Called up Lowes, told them what I needed and they brought one out and installed it. I had to pay a little extra for labor because I replaced a 40 gallon with a 50 gallon so they had to cut some more space for it behind the wall but the whole thing still only cost me about $1300. That's all I got.
$1300 sounds steep. Generally, if the heater doesn't fit they move it out away from the wall and rearrange the exhaust stack.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2019-11-19, 22:49

The Pantry wrote:
y2kMgrad wrote:Ours died a year ago. It was about 15 years old. Called up Lowes, told them what I needed and they brought one out and installed it. I had to pay a little extra for labor because I replaced a 40 gallon with a 50 gallon so they had to cut some more space for it behind the wall but the whole thing still only cost me about $1300. That's all I got.
$1300 sounds steep. Generally, if the heater doesn't fit they move it out away from the wall and rearrange the exhaust stack.

Perhaps. I thought it was reasonable at the time. Whoever finished the basement at the house built the wall around the water heater in the bathroom and then installed an access panel. It was a very odd setup, but never was a problem for us until the water heater broke. He was pretty limited as to what he could do to make the new one fit. At any rate, I thought he did a decent job. We've since sold the house and moved into a new one. I'll probably have to install one here in a few years too smh. That one I'll do myself though.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-20, 07:50

y2kMgrad wrote:
The Pantry wrote:$1300 sounds steep. Generally, if the heater doesn't fit they move it out away from the wall and rearrange the exhaust stack.

Perhaps. I thought it was reasonable at the time. Whoever finished the basement at the house built the wall around the water heater in the bathroom and then installed an access panel. It was a very odd setup, but never was a problem for us until the water heater broke. He was pretty limited as to what he could do to make the new one fit. At any rate, I thought he did a decent job. We've since sold the house and moved into a new one. I'll probably have to install one here in a few years too smh. That one I'll do myself though.

I paid about 2k I called a few plumbers too and the quotes were all around there. I went with the one that was able to get out to us the quickest. Plumbers must be more expensive out here. I wish it was 1300.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-11-20, 22:19

steveschneider wrote:
y2kMgrad wrote:

I paid about 2k I called a few plumbers too and the quotes were all around there. I went with the one that was able to get out to us the quickest. Plumbers must be more expensive out here. I wish it was 1300.
Plumbers are not more expensive there. It's just that you live in a state of idiots. Do the math.

A basic natural gas 40 gallon water heater costs less than $500. A water heater swap should take no more than 3 hours. You paid a guy $500 an hour?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-11-30, 09:39

Anyone know anything about the heat pump water heaters? They're supposedly pretty economical to run and I'm considering one as a replacement for the propane one I'm running now.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-11-30, 09:57

Jake from State Farm wrote:Anyone know anything about the heat pump water heaters? They're supposedly pretty economical to run and I'm considering one as a replacement for the propane one I'm running now.

I bet Trappergus could help.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-11-30, 10:36

Jake from State Farm wrote:Anyone know anything about the heat pump water heaters? They're supposedly pretty economical to run and I'm considering one as a replacement for the propane one I'm running now.

I know I’d need my plumber to handle it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-11-30, 10:54

Yes, I have geo-thermo preheating of the hot water.

Not a full geo-thermal system, the pre-heat probably gets the water to about 120 degrees or so.  The pre heat tank feeds into an electric tank which is set at around 160 degrees.

Since this went in at the same time as a geo-thermal heating system I don't have any idea as to how economical it is,  however, because of the efficiency of the heat pump, around 800% per watt of electricity, it surely must help.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next